Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Swapping with Snape by Loz

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Tick. Tick. Tick. Severus was being lulled into a deep sleep. Tap. Tap. Tap. The end of his wand was making such a pretty sound against the table. Creak. Creak. Creak. The chair’s angle was so interesting to look at, it was amazing how it could just float there, on the very tips of the two back legs until;

“Will you two be quiet? If you wish to continue studying here you shall abide by Library rules!”

Madam Pince walked stiffly away. Severus rolled his eyes and made a face at her back, Ron initially looked worried but smiled.

“Think she’ll turn up some time soon?” Ron asked, stifling a yawn.

“Isn’t she usually punctual?” Severus asked back in a lackadaisical manner.

“Er… only to class. And even then she’s been known to cheat time.”

“Yes, Minerva told me eventually, not that I didn’t pester her about it for ages.”

“Pardon?” Ron’s stare made Severus open and close his mouth several times. Ron didn’t ask any other questions. He just looked and waited.

“I meant Hermione. You know, Hermione and I, we went back in time and… and…” Severus began, but it was no use. He could tell Ron was still confused. He had to come up with something, and quickly. “Dumbledore’s trying to get me to think of my Professors by their first names, you see,” he said, pushing the glasses up his nose nervously, “he thinks it will help me think of myself as more adult, more capable of fighting against… well you know,” Ron still has a crease in his forehead, “and Professor McGonagall, well, she told me about the time turner even before Hermione did. I, I never told her or you this because, well, how could I, you know? Neither of you’d have ever forgiven me, and… and…”

“Well, I’m here, like you asked! All ready to be your little guinea pig. I have to say, you’re very lucky I’m doing this at all. I was really interested in picking up the newly revised fifty sixth edition of Wonderful Wizarding Wells of Wales and giving it a good look over to see if much has been changed.” Hermione looked relatively calm. Severus could feel sweat dripping down his face, and Ron, well Ron didn’t seem to actually be on the same plane of existence as everyone else.

“Let’s go to an abandoned classroom. I don’t think Madam Pince would appreciate us giving an entire presentation in here,” Severus suggested and immediately got up. Both Hermione and Ron followed him quietly. After a short walk across the castle they found a room Severus knew they could use without any of the Professors getting annoyed. He pulled out his piece of parchment and began to speak.

As he was reading the words on the page he was also thinking to himself. He had let his guard down and now he was going to pay for it. He wasn’t sure Weasley had bought his story, but then, he wasn’t entirely sure Weasley had even heard it. He finished his part of the presentation and waited for the other boy to stand up. He did eventually, but only in a half hearted sort of way. His voice was quite monotonous, and even Hermione’s usually active thirst for knowledge seemed to have relaxed into dozing stupor.

The rest of the day was relatively boring, or at least, it would appear so from the outside of Severus’s mind, which was in a constant state of worry. Hermione did eventually check out Wonderful Wizarding Wells of Wales and even decided to tell the boys exactly what was different between the latest edition and the last. Somehow it seemed to perk her up. They then played some card games and simply sat in the Gryffindor common room chatting with the other students.

Finally Weasley decided to go to bed and slowly dragged himself up to the dormitory. Severus followed as soon as Hermione finished her analysis of the first part of their presentation, which luckily she had found quite informative and even slightly fascinating. She also asked if Ron had got any sleep the previous night.

Once he was up in the dormitory, Severus found himself speaking quietly.

“Ron, are you alright?”

“I’m fine, why wouldn’t I be?” the red-haired child asked, lying on his bed with his left arm and leg hanging out the side.

“About what we were talking of earlier.”

“When?”

“In the Library.”

“I don’t remember us talking about much in the Library. You’d just started another long speech about why the Chudley Cannons were going to lose, and I had proven you wrong…”

“That was yesterday,” Severus said, perplexed.

“Was it?” Weasley questioned mid-yawn. “Oh well, it wasn’t important was it?”

“No. No! Not at all. Don’t worry about it,” Severus replied, somewhat surprised, yet also quite happy.

“Good luck for tomorrow, Harry,” Ron said, once more yawning.

“Well, you too. We’re doing this together, remember.”

“Yeah I know, but you’re actually going to need it.”

“Git.”

“Sod.”

Severus got changed, got into bed and slept soundly. Apart from one or two relatively odd dreams, he felt fine and relaxed for the next day.

*******************

Munching into his cream cheese roll, Severus smiled in satisfaction. Not only had he and Ron surprised Professor Flitwick, they had impressed him too. Weasley had delivered his part of the presentation in an entirely different manner to their practice session. He was actually buoyant and enthusiastic. Severus was now wondering more than ever if a spell had actually been cast on Weasley and pondered if he had done it via wandless magic, or whether someone else had chosen to do it.

Granger looked confused but very happy with the two young men as they concluded. She exclaimed that she knew they had always had it in them, but Severus knew that she was lying. After the lesson Professor Flitwick had told them that not only had they succeeded in their requirements for their detention, but had convinced him that this was the best method of punishment she had thought up yet. Severus personally preferred hanging students upside-down above cauldrons of steaming hot shrinking potion.

Now it was lunch time, and Severus allowed the students to talk around him as he simply ate. They never really discussed anything of immense interest to him, usually it was gossip and triviality, but it was always amusing to hear what they thought of their Professors. For instance, the general consensus on Sibyl Trelawney was that she was a dithering old hack. He’d have thought the students would wait until they were in a room where their Professors did not have unrestricted access to their conversations, however he knew Trelawney would never know what they said about her, Inner Eye or not.

He had moved on from his cream cheese roll to a pear, and to his chagrin some of the pear juice dribbled down his chin. He muttered quietly to himself and performed the summoning charm to whisk a napkin close by. He was carefully trying to clean himself up when there was a tap on his shoulder. He tensed slightly, not only being concerned to be seen in such a messy state but because as far as he knew he didn’t have any pressing engagements.

“Potter, follow me,” his own voice said. Any worries Severus had gained upon the touch disappeared.

“Sure thing, Professor Snape,” he said as he got up and followed Harry. Weasley and Granger didn’t seem nearly as perplexed this time as they had at others. They seemed to have accepted that he was bound to go off having conversations these days. They waved goodbye and let him go on his merry way. Severus found himself travelling to the Dungeons and his office. When he looked around he almost expected it to look completely different from even last time, full of rubbish or something, but of course the house-elves ensured that it stayed spick and span.

“What did you want to talk to me for?” Severus asked with something resembling a smile. Harry’s expression darkened.

“You seem awfully cheerful,” Harry said, flicking his wrist and neck quite strangely.

“I just got you out of trouble and made Professor Flitwick think you’re a genius. Whilst I would normally hate that, I’m proud that I achieved such a difficult thing!” Severus said, this time genuinely smiling at his taller self.

“Well, good for you. I needed you here for two things,” Harry said, still obviously annoyed about something. Severus was sure it was not simply his teasing which was disturbing the young Gryffindor.

“Oh yes, and what are they?”

“They’re serious, so stop sounding so amused,” Harry barked. Severus decided it was best to let him continue but couldn’t help but say something further.

“I can’t help but sound amused when I am. Alright then, explain.”

“Okay, so first of all, the polyjuice potion is ready,” Harry blurted out, once again moving in an awkward and now obviously anxious fashion.

Severus was happy about this. It seemed like their covert plan to swap back was about ready. He had known that when Potter proposed the idea it was not without its risks, but he also knew that it was better than anything he had come up with. He had instructed the boy in the smaller details of creating enough potion out of the small amount he always had on reserve and now it seemed as if this might actually work. Severus Snape could once again be Severus Snape and Harry Potter could be Harry annoying pain Potter.

“Well that sounds good,” Severus said quietly, “and what was the other thing?”

“The other thing? I’m really worried about Dumbledore.”