Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Swapping with Snape by Loz

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry felt outraged. This was not fair! He wanted to start demolishing the furniture, he wanted to swear and rant and generally behave as badly as possible. But all he could do was stare as Snape absorbed his private thoughts, memories and beliefs. He lived in dread over what Snape’s information could contain. Random visions of cannibalism and goat sacrifice came into his mind before he took hold of the golden device in front of him. As he took it he felt so strange. Before he had felt so calm and relaxed, but now he felt like he did when he was flying, his senses heightened and his adrenaline pumping.

As the flashes of information stopped Harry looked at Snape in awe. He almost wished he had seen what he had dreaded seeing in the first place. Since when did Snape write poetry for pleasure? What the hell was he doing owning a pair of slippers, let alone fuzzy bat slippers? Snape liked dancing? Had the world gone mad? Harry was finding it hard to breathe. Things were not right. Things were definitely not right! This was madness, surely? The Accluma had malfunctioned?

Harry now knew more than he’d ever wanted to know about his Potions professor. Dumbledore asked both of them to sit down and Harry obediently obliged only because he feared his legs would collapse underneath him if he didn’t. The older man seemed rather amused.

“Now you should both know at least enough to have a good estimate of what the other is really like. Do you agree?”

Harry shook his head numbly and saw Snape doing the same thing. Snape seemed almost as shellshocked as he felt. He had always felt like Snape had no personality outside of being a miserable old git but now he knew what music Snape liked he came to the startling revelation that Snape really wasn't that old. No older than Lupin. No older than Lockhart had been, and not much older than Quirrell. Certainly not as stupid or pompous as either of the latter two but definitely not as nice as Lupin. He cast another glance at this man who held so much authority over him, who seemed so forbidding and imposing and was surprised at how human he now appeared.

“Very well. Remember, you are not to say a word of this to anyone else. Do not even hint that you might be acting strangely. If you do, everyone’s lives will be at stake. Understand?”

Harry nodded again.

“Fine. You are dismissed. I suggest you make the most of the time you have,” Dumbledore said.

Harry still didn’t want to assume Snape’s position, he hated knowing what he now knew about his Potions Master, he still dreaded the knowledge that he only had a week’s freedom to be himself within himself, but he knew that now they had taken this step, there was nothing he could do or say to stop the inevitable.

*********

The week flashed before Harry’s eyes at the speed of light. There was nothing he could say, nothing he could do, but go to classes like normal. He had to pretend everything was okay. He had to act like everything was the same as it always was and always would be.

“Are you alright Harry? You seem a bit… quiet,” Hermione said the afternoon the ritual was to take place. They were in the Great hall eating lunch. Ron looked at Harry with a concerned expression as well. Harry had been thinking about how long it would be before he would be able to eat breakfast with his friends like this again.

“What? No. I’m fine, Hermione,”

“This isn’t about your date with Cho is it?” Hermione asked quietly. Harry practically squealed. His date with Cho. He had a date with Cho in a week’s time. How could he forget? They’d have to postpone the ritual now, surely? Harry shook his head, reassured them he was fine and excused himself from the table. He had to talk with Dumbledore. He had to make sure he got his message across. Dumbledore wasn’t at his usual place at the head table so Harry went out of the Great Hall. Harry found the older man talking to a portrait in the hallway.

“I’m sorry Harry, but we can’t postpone it for a week. We don’t have a week. You will just have to tell Miss Chang you are unable to make your date,” Dumbledore said once Harry had explained the situation.

“But, Professor!” Harry said in vain. His stomach was churning and his heartbeat racing as he went on a search for Cho. It was only their second date. Things were going so well. Why was life so unfair?

“Cho? Can I speak with you please?” Harry asked quietly standing at the Ravenclaw table. Luckily, Hermione and Ron appeared to have finished their meal.

“Sure. What’s up Harry?” Cho asked.

“I’m… I’m very sorry but I… I won’t be able to go on that second date with you. Not for a while, actually.”

“Why not?” Cho asked looking both concerned and annoyed at the same time.

“I can’t explain. I just can’t. I’m sorry!” Harry said apologetically. Cho seemed distraught and disbelieving. Harry stepped back from the table nervously and left the Great hall. He intended to go back to his dormitory for some time alone.

“Potter, I want a word,” Snape called from behind. Harry stopped dead in his tracks. “I hope you were not informing Miss Chang of any changes in behaviour you may display, Potter,” Snape hissed.

“No, sir. Nothing like that!” Harry replied. He felt physically ill.

“You better not be lying to me, Potter,” Snape said before swinging around and resuming his place at the head table. You’ll know soon enough, Harry thought depressed before treking back to his dorm room.