Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Caught! by d3pr3ss3dNhappy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



One step closer, just one tiny little step…

There! I had done it, I had reached the door without making a sound, sure I was wearing an invisibility cloak, but what was to keep them from hearing me? My heart was beating loud enough to alert anyone nearby.

Beads of sweat poured down my brow as I delicately pressed my ear to the keyhole. This was my first solo mission, the dangers were huge, but I was (or had been) willing to do my part.

Voices. Voices were floating to my ear, they were whispering, but I could just make out what they were saying.

“If we can make an entrance here…” muttered one voice.

“Yes, but what about the wizards guarding it? They’re more careful now.” A second voice input, slightly nervous.

“Yes, too true they are, but they were stupid enough to leave the dementors there to guard in the first place, so what’s to keep them from not expecting another attack?” Countered the first voice.

Dementors. They were talking about Azkaban! They were going to break free the Death Eaters inside. I know became fully aware of the dangers facing me. If I were caught, I would be killed, or more likely tortured into insanity like the Longbottoms were and then killed. I now knew why Dumbledore had looked so grave when he impressed upon me the dangers of spying on the Death Eaters. My heart pounded against my ribcage, I feared I wouldn’t be able to hear the Death Eaters over it’s noise.

“He will warn them,” objected the second. I pressed myself closer to the door in order to absorb all the noise possible.

“Dumbledore is not your concern,” a harsh voice spoke. “I will take care of him.”

“Yes master,” muttered the first, the second was quick to follow after.

Master. I slowly drew in a breath, there was only one Master amongst the Death Eaters, and that was You-Know-Who himself. I heard the Death Eaters get scuttling to leave; they had a ridiculous custom that they had to exit backwards, as though You-Know-Who were a monarch.

I realized that I needed to leave. Now. Otherwise I most definitely would be caught. I turned and slowly crept backwards to the hallway of the large manor. Turning slowly, I began to walk a little faster.

Hiss!

A snake over ten feet long was waiting at the end of the hallway. It was coiled and swaying menacingly at me. I remembered this snake, it smelled rather than saw, my cloak did absolutely nothing to protect me.

Creak

The door behind me was opening, I was caught. I spotted a door two feet in front of the snake. The Death Eaters behind me were moving quickly now.

When an animal is in danger, they have two natural instincts, to fight or flee. I, however, only knew the instinct of flight.

I dashed to the door and managed to get inside just as the snake lunged at me. Unfortunately, I also made a good deal of noise while I was at it.

“What was that?” I heard the first voice snap.

“I dunno, hey! There’s that snake, maybe that’s what did it!” replied the second.

“You fool!” cried the first, I heard a smack and a cry, as though the first had hit the second. “Snakes cannot open doors and make footsteps!”

Then I heard the sound of running feet, they were coming after me. The door I had darted through was actually a narrow hallway, all attempts at being silent abandoned me now, I ran a full tilt down the hallway, looking for a window to jump out, or another door to hide behind. I pulled out my wand, Apparating was no use in the Riddle manor, but I could still duel. Or (more likely) reflect any spells they threw at me.

Accio cloak!”

My cloak flew off, leaving me in my faded blue robes, my shoulder length dark hair standing on end. I didn’t stop though, I kept running.

Tarantellegra!” I called over my shoulder, I heard someone pause meaning my curse had affected one of them.

Protego!” or maybe not, the curse flew back at me, hitting my legs and forcing me into an odd sort of tango. I was helpless, my arms wouldn’t even function properly and from my mouth an odd sort of song was emitting, paralyzing my abilities to duel.

I now saw the Death Eaters, they were in their black robes with faceless masks, one was very tall and slim, the other was shorter than me, which is quite a feat as I am only 5’2” and stout. The very sight of them struck terror in my heart. I tried to curl up into a protective ball, but failed miserably with my flailing legs. The tall Death Eater raised his wand and the next thing I knew I was slowly waking to the sounds of that cruel voice.

“Put her away for now, I will deal with her in the morning.”