Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Unequal Balance by On Angels Wings

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
After recovering from the shock of moving staircases, Addalynn and Remus continued on to a corridor the portrait of the Fat Lady whose portrait served as the secret door to the Gryffindor Common Room.

“Nood Wymph,” Remus said, and they stepped through the portrait hole where they witnessed quite an impressive display.

Lily was standing up in a furious manner and was shouting mercilessly at a boy with jet black hair and glasses stationed quite comfortably on a large straight backed chair. His relaxed position gave him an unmistakable air of cockiness.

“Well it looks like I’ve brought you in at a bad time to meet my friends. You are now witnessing James’ Rejection,” Remus explained in a bemused voice.

Lily yelled out a few final words and turned around to walk out the portrait hole. Remus and Addalynn instinctively stepped aside to avoid a needless encounter. The boy Remus had called James was now standing up with resentment burned into his every feature.

He was fairly tall and his hair stuck out scruffily in all directions and had warm chocolate brown eyes. He had a muscular build that Addalynn assumed came from playing a sport; probably the magical version (and equivalent) of football; Quidditch.

“James, my good friend; will you just give it a rest?” Remus pleaded. James shot him an incredulous look. “Thought not…”
Remus stepped back to Addalynn's side so that James could see her properly.

“Anyways, this is Addalynn White, she’s new here,” he said, gesturing to Addalynn.

“It’s nice to meet you Addalynn; I’m James Potter.” He politely shook her hand and gave her a genuine ear to ear grin. Perhaps he was quite charming when he wasn’t too busy being arrogant.

Suddenly another boy came bounding down the stairs that led to the boy’s dormitory. He walked over to the three with an expectant look.

“So what did I miss?” he asked.

“Sirius this is Addalynn White; the newest,” James said.

Sirius, as any charming gentleman would do, lightly kissed the back of her soft hand. He was the tallest of the three boys and, like James, had jet black hair; although it didn’t look as wild as James’ hair did. Instead, it hung ruggedly down to his shoulders; a style he carried off very well, making it look dashingly handsome instead of messy and un-kept.

“It’s my pleasure to meet you Miss Addalynn. I’m Sirius Black,” he said, and he too, flashed her a handsome grin. “All right, I’m starving; let’s go get some food men! Oh, I’m terribly sorry: men and lady.” Attempting to impress their new guest further, he gave bent gracefully into a dramatic bow that made Addalynn smile slightly.
They foursome strode down to the Great Hall where a magnificent feast awaited their watering mouths. The Hall was already filling up with students from all years and the chatter of many a conversation were floating carelessly in the air.

They sat down at the Gryffindor Table, right about somewhere in the middle; a prime spot to listen to what the topic of the day is. Apparently today, it was Dark Lord Voldemort. There have been six muggle killings in the past three days. It has been concluded that in recent months, muggle killing has now become a purposeless sport for the Death Eaters. It served only to satisfy their hunger to kill and their lust for blood.

The student who brought up this particular choice topic had a very grave look in his eyes as if he knew something that no one else did. His blonde hair hung in his eyes creating an even more dramatic effect. His frown deepened as he told more of what he’d read in the papers and what he’d heard from his parents at the Ministry of Magic.

The discussion of Dark Wizards upset the Gryffindor Table so much that it almost silenced the students as they listened to the news-carrier. The blonde-haired boy, Adam, looked each of his fellow students in the eye as he informed them of the terrible goings-on outside the protected stone walls of Hogwarts, to add emphasis that the words he uttered were words of truth. The more he talked of the unspeakable deeds of the Death Eaters, the more his blue eyes filled with wariness and dismay.

Despite the fact that today’s conversation was very spirit crushing, the students all had a very good lunch. They were at school far away from all harm and they hadn’t a worry in the world. After all, they shouldn’t should they? They had enough to care about with essays, homework, and exams and so on and so forth…what was going on in the rest of Europe was not their concern at the moment in the prime of their young lives.

Soon enough lunch ended based on when everyone wanted to leave. Generally when one gets full of food, one leaves the table; but at Hogwarts, mealtimes were social gatherings. But sooner or later the Great Hall emptied with Sirius, James, Remus, and Addalynn being one of the first groups to leave.

“Awful shady subject that was…” said James after swallowing a large bite of pork.

They had proceeded to wander aimlessly down the vast corridors paying no attention whatsoever as to where they were headed.

“Well Prongs, these are shady times,” stated Sirius.

Addalynn’s ears perked at the word ‘Prongs’; was that James’ nickname? She shot a questioning glace over at Remus who nodded his head in turn, suggesting that she just listen.

“But why can’t the Ministry do anything about it? I know they’ve got Aurors all over the place looking for him, but…it just doesn’t seem to be working,” sighed James in abundant frustration. "This Voldemort person has got everyone on high alert."

“Prongs, just don’t worry about it okay mate? Just don’t worry about it…” said Sirius. “I’m sure everything will come to an end soon…”
"I hope so…" James said.

“Hey Moony, do you think we ought to show young Addie here how things are run in this place?” asked Sirius.

“I don’t know. Addie, would you like to know how the student life works inside these stone walls?” asked Remus.

“Do I want to know?” she asked, with a raised eyebrow.

Sirius shook his head and incoherently muttered something related to "tisk, tisk". James took a step so that he was directly to her left and he slid an arm around her shoulders. He led her forward down the corridor while the other two followed closely behind them.

“My dear, Addie, you are a Gryffindor. And you, sweetheart, are the heir to all the wonderful secrets this school possesses. We intend to teach you how to run this place just like we've been running it four the past five years,” he said as he gestured to the grand windows that were now before them.

From there she could see hundreds of students out on the grounds carrying out various tasks. Some were in groups talking others were fooling around with oddly funny spells. They were just enjoying the belated last days of summertime before it turned to the chill of fall. James turned this ordinary sight into quite a spectacle with his dramatic words and gestures.

As she looked upon the carefree students outside the castle, James smiled brotherly down at her, glad that she didn’t seem as nervous as she did earlier.

“Let me tell you a few key things Addie: number one, stay away from those slimy, hazardous, inconsiderate, greasy, dirty talking, lowlife, pureblooded freak, Slytherins. It can’t always be avoided, but when it can, take advantage of the opportunity-they’re nothing but trouble that lot. Secondly, anyone gives you any trouble, you come strait to us: do you hear me?” Sirius said concernedly as he looked at her with eyebrows raised and concerned stormy grey eyes. She blushed and tried to cover it up by nodding her head and listened to Sirius as he continued.

“Another thing Addie, there are people in this school that won’t….oh gosh, how can I put this nicely? Um…Addie, since you are a friend of ours-if you want to be-I should warn you; there will be a lot of people-“

“Especially in Slytherin,” cut in Remus.

“-who won’t show the, er, respect you deserve. And like James said, they’ll mainly be Slytherins. But other than that, everything should go rather smoothly. Gryffindors have always gotten along well with Huffelpuffs and with most of the Ravenclaws,” finished Sirius.
She turned her attention back to the other side of the window. The sun was shining happily, its rays of gold dripping lazily on the Black Lake.

"You have become a queen among us," said James.

They continued to wander around the castle aimlessly once again; discussing the different ways that one could sneak a Hair Growth Potion into another’s drink unnoticeably. Obviously this was Sirius’ topic of choice as Remus, being the more conservative of the lot, shook his head numerous times at the incredulity and stupidity of the very idea of such a pointless thing.

Apparently, in their third year, Sirius and James had snuck some Hair Growth Potion into the Arithmancy Professor’s pumpkin juice at the Halloween Feast (they were never caught). It made the poor man’s beard continue to grow at three inches a minute until Professor Slughorn (the Potions Master) could concoct a remedy. His hair and beard combined had reached forty-seven feet by the time the remedy was complete.

Around six-thirty the trio finally began to wander their way back to the Great Hall, amazingly, just in time for dinner. Sirius had been complaining about his stomach growling for some time now, he was quite relieved when they arrived at the doors of so much glorious food.

It all went as usual; Dumbledore gave a little school conduct speech, Sirius ate with the stomach of an army, James went on and on about Lily Evans and Quidditch, and Remus only cut in from time to time when he felt he could lift his nose from the book he had propped up against the table.

“I’m telling you two, this is going to be the year that the beautiful Lily Evans goes out on a date with me- James Potter,” said James cockily.

“Yeah, only after you do three things; deflate your abnormally large head, come to terms with the fact that the whole world does not revolve around you, and last, that she’ll never go out with you,” Sirius explained.

“Well then what would be the point of doing the first two things if the last thing is the third thing that has to happen?” asked James.

“Um, maybe I could help with this,” Addalynn cut in as Sirius opened this mouth to speak. “I've read in a lot of books that opposites attract. She's very conservative and you're very athletic and spontaneous. For such wildly opposite personalities, it will take longer for her to get used to you, if she isn't already.”
"If she is already then why won't she say 'yes' to me?" asked James skeptically.
"I believe the term for that would be denial."

Sirius and Remus both looked at each other with raised eyebrows: what a ridiculous thing to say. But maybe it was possible that true love attracted opposites, and if it did, this relationship would prove it.

“I don’t believe it! Addie, why would you give him such false hope?” asked Sirius.

She answered him with a rather self-conscious shrug.

“What makes you so sure of this?” asked Remus.

“If the same theory is in so many books then maybe it can be proven in this sad reality we live in,” Addie said softly, and that was the end of that conversation.

They continued to eat in merriment for the rest of dinner in the lighthearted cheeriness of the other students around them. The professors seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as the rest.

The candles that decorated the empty air of the Hall floated everywhere and their flames danced with twirls of delight. Laughter seemed to moves the flames to flicker with every funny joke and happy comment. Addalynn was sure that the jovial air that hung so heavily around the four tables was making the Great Hall more cheerful with every passing moment.

The sky was crystal clear and stars shone brightly against the black blanked. Silver rays let out from the moon as it settled itself in the sky to watch over the residents living in the hours after daylight.

Students of all the ages made their way back to their dormitories before curfew for fear of being caught wandering the halls late at night. The lifeless stone corridors filled with music and the great clock tower chimed nine times.

The paintings no longer stirred and the children were all safely tucked away between the warm cozy sheets of their beds…or at least they should be.

Too excited to sleep (except for the paintings) the common rooms of the four Houses were all up and restless. In the Slytherin common room were those boasting with thickly laid on pride, for Slytherins were ambitious, a bit rude, and very snide.

In Ravenclaw the students stayed up discussing the games and books of old, for in this house were great scholars who knew great intelligence of untold.

In Hufflepuff first through seventh years gathered around for games and fun in the late of night, for the House of Hufflepuff was fond of jovial delight.

Up in the Tower of Gryffindor were the greatest mischief makers, Gryffindors were the boldest of all, with pranks of every shape and size…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


What a strange concept, time. Never ending, no limitations, no beginnings, no endings and no true way to measure it. More often than not, life is mistaken for time, when time is actually life. Humans try to put a bottle on it for their own sense of security: what nonsense placing minutes and hours on something that has no end, no beginning, and as far as anyone can tell, no possible way to slow it down or speed it up.

A miraculous epiphany to think that time could fluctuate; that one could really be in the moment. People classify age as living longer, as having spent more time on earth than previously lived. Is the concept of living a long while not the same as time passing by? Humans can’t know because they can’t accept that there is something beyond their control.

If time could fluctuate, right now, is time passing by? Is it standing still? Or is it merely the perspective at which it is looked at? Getting older doesn’t mean that much time has passed; it is just over-simplification of an unexplained phenomenon.

These words formed inside her head, floating around and clashing against the sides of their cage. Her hazel eyes wandered around, not sure where to focus. Her ears echoed the sounding ring of the giant clock tower of Hogwarts which she now stood behind, pondering the words of the books she had stayed up every night reading since the very first night she came to Hogwarts. The Reading started out as adventure and fantasy, then gradually each book became more serious and more thoughtful.

The bell tower began to ring loudly to signify the turning of the twelfth hour…