Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Strongest Bond of Love by dark arts master

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10: EVIL UNFOLDS

WARNING! A lot of things will happen in this Chapter and in 11! It is very important that you pay close attention to detail. But don't worry about time too much, the events are not specifically in a time order! (example: "evil chick" and Draco aren't necessarily talking while Harry and Hermione are in Hogsmeade. That happened before they left!) Got it! Hope so! Enjoy!


“I want to make sure that Hogsmeade is protected Severus,” Dumbledore said. “There will be a lot of people at Padma Patil’s funeral, a perfect opportunity for Voldemort to strike.”

“Yes, Headmaster,” Snape answered. He rose from his chair to leave the office, but before he reached the door he hesitated.

“What is it Severus?” Dumbledore asked. “Do you have something on your mind?”

“I do,” Snape answered. “I was hoping we could discuss Amanda Drowry, and possibly Remus.”

“What do you wish to say Severus?” Dumbledore’s face had become stern. Snape and Dumbledore had had this same conversation many times. As much as Drowry’s actions, capabilities, and past were questionable, Dumbledore felt that she deserved the chance to come clean.

“I think Drowry has been in contact with Voldemort,” Snape said. Dumbledore frowned. He had feared the same, but he did not feel that she was indeed a threat. Secretly, Dumbledore believe, or hoped rather, that Drowry had switched sides and would offer assistance to Harry and him before the end.

“And Remus’ association with her Headmaster, I question how close they are becoming. If Drowry is indeed making contact with Voldlemort, she may have talked Remus into helping her.”

“Severus, your days of hating Remus are over. He is on our side, unquestionably.”

“Well then she may be stealing valuable information from his mind, all the same,” Snape shouted. “He is a member of the Order of the Pheonix! Who knows what she has learned from him and told Voldemort!”

“Severus!” Dumbledore cried, taking Snape purely by surprise. “Remus would never willingly give information away that would jeopardize the Order or Harry, you know that. He also is not stupid enough to allow someone to steal the information from him forcibly! Voldemort does not have a spy in this school and that is final!”

“Headmaster,” Snape continued, “It only takes one small moment of weakness or distraction and his mind would be easy prey! You know this! It is time you take action to protect the Order and…”

“Severus!” Dumbledore shouted again. “That is enough! Get out of my office this instant!”

Dumbledore sat quietly in his seat and calmed down while Snape left. He refused to believe that his school had been infiltrated once again. He had taken every precaution and enacted every protection charm there was. It was impossible that such things could take place on Hogwarts grounds without his knowing. And the thought that a student was behind it was utter rubbish!

How could a student know the Unforgivables? How could a student be knowledgeable enough about the Dark Arts so as to use them? Why would Drowry work so hard to help Harry and him if she was still on Voldemort’s side?

No! Dumbledore knew that Drowry was on his side. She had tried to tell him something the night Padma died. What had it been? She had made the comment that she did not believe Padma would have killed herself. How could she suggest such a thing!

Two things was certain in Dumbledore’s mind, that Drowry would not have suggested such a thing if she were working for Voldemort, and something very strange and underhanded was going on at his school. It was time to find out what.


Harry awoke with a start. His scar was stinging violently. It was late; the common room was in utter darkness, the fire having gone out a while ago. Ginny and Seamus had both said good night several hours earlier. Hermione and he, though, had stayed up. Niether of them had said why, but it was understood that they needed to be alone together.

Harry’s life was in danger, again. He knew Hermione had a right to be worried, especially since Ron was already in the hospital near death. Harry’s scar continued to burn. It burned as if Voldemort himself were near. The thought worried Harry, especially since he would be out in the open today.

Hermione stirred next to him. They had fallen asleep in each others arms, and until Harry’s scar had hurt, it was the most peaceful sleep he had ever experienced.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked at Harry.

“What’s the matter?” she asked.

“My scar woke me up,” he said. “It’s probably nothing, Voldemort’s just happy or something.”

“I’m worried Harry,” she said. “If Marietta is trying to give you over to Voldemort, you could get hurt…or worse.”

“I’ll be fine,” he said. “I know it’s her, I just won’t let her get the chance to do anything. Everything will be all right.” He kissed her forehead and held her tight next to him. It was a great feeling, having her next to him.

“Harry,” Hermione said quietly.

“What?” he asked, pulling her away from him slightly so he could gaze into her dark brown eyes.

“What if we’re wrong?” she asked. “What if it’s not Marietta? What if it’s someone else, someone we haven’t even thought of?”

“I’ll be fine,” he said. “Nothing will happen, I promise.”

“Harry,” she said again.

“What now?” he said smiling.

“I love you.” Her words had come as such a shock to him. He knew she loved him, he had heard her say it to him earlier. He hadn’t expected to hear her say right now, not in this situation.

“I love you too,” he said. “More than anything.” He meant it too. Harry meant it more than anything he had ever said before.

He didn’t know how he knew he loved Hermione. It was just something inside of him, something in his heart. But whatever it was, he had never been surer of anything in his life.

Hermione smiled and sat up to kiss him. Her lips were soft and full, but they were hot against his own. The taste of her brought back recent memories. Memories of when they were outside on the bench, or hiding in a classroom a couple evenings ago. But mostly, of the time they had spent together, making love behind Sir Cadogen’s painting.

At that moment with Hermione, on the bed, he had never been surer that he was doing the right thing. Something inside of him had guided him the whole time. He didn’t know what he had been doing, he had been in a daze he whole time. All he had been thinking about was the beautiful girl underneath him.

All these thoughts and memories flew through Harry’s head as Hermione gently continued to kiss him. Her hand was gently tangling itself in his hair, her other hand was grasping his shirt as if Hermione would never see him again.

Harry wrapped his arms around Hermione and drew her closer, kissing her back. Now wasn’t the time, he knew, not here in the common room. He wouldn’t loose control of himself again, not like he did the other times when he had kissed Hermione. Tonight, he would just enjoy her being close to him. Tonight, he would sleep. Tonight, he would dream of Strawberries.


“What did you see in her memories?” Lupin asked, walking from the dark corner and coming towards Marietta and Drowry.

“It was strange,” Drowry said, trying to remember exactly what she had seen and trying to think of ways to describe it. “There were no memories of what we suspected. Marietta didn’t kill Padma, she didn’t attack Ron. Or, if she did she has no memories of it.”

“So we’re back at square one, is that what your saying?”

“Not exactly,” Drowry answered. “There were memories, in Marietta’s mind, of Harry, Hermione and Ron. Not memories from the DA meetings or anything like that. They seemed to be recent memories, but it was almost like they were damaged or something. They were very indistinct and very hard to read. When I examined them, they disappeared around me. Almost like, my examining them caused them to be forgotten permanently. When I asked Marietta about them just now, she said that she had no memory of those incidents’ at all. Do you have any idea what that means?”

Lupin stood up straighter and looked Drowry in the eye, his eyes showed both a touch of fear and shock, but he refused to let them show on the outside.

“It means we have a serious problem,” Lupin said. “And it means it’s time to make Dumbledore see what is really going on at this school.”


The Great Hall was packed. Everyone was talking about today’s Hogsmeade trip and Padma’s funeral. Most of the Ravenclaw’s were going to attend, and a few Gryffindor’s and Hufflepuff’s. The few Gryffindor’s going were Hermione, Lavender, Harry, and Ginny. Hermione, Lavender and Ginny were good friends of Parvati’s and wanted to be there for her. Harry was going for Hermione. Hermione had been curiously silent all morning. Harry knew she was worried about him, but he didn’t know what to say to reassure her, especially since he had already told her numerous times that everything would be okay. Dumbledore stood up at the teacher’s table; everyone grew silent and looked at him.

“It is with both good news and bad news I present you all with today,” Dumbledore said solemnly. “As some of you may know, Ronald Weasley fell from the stairs yesterday afternoon.” The student’s broke out into murmuring about Dumbledore’s announcement. “He is however, not dead.” Dumbledore shouted above he crowd, which immediately fell silent. “He is currently in St. Mungos hospital, he is very badly wounded. As of yet, the incident is deemed purely accidental.”

Harry noticed that at Dumbledore’s comment about Ron’s fall being accidental, both Professor Lupin and Professor Drowry’s faces grew stern. He was distracted from them, however, when Hermione nudged him and pointed towards the Slytherin table.

There, surrounded by his ghouls, was Draco Malfoy. It was not hard to tell from the look on his face that Malfoy was mad. In fact, Harry had seen Malfoy mad many times in his school years, but never this mad. Malfoy looked like he could have killed someone. Crabbe and Goyle were even trying to scoot away from him on the bench. All of the Slytherin’s seemed frightened by the look on Malfoy’s face, and many of them were eager to get as far away from his as possible.

“Regarding other news,” Dumbledore continued, “do not forget that today is another Hogsmeade visit.” The students all broke into cheering. “It is also important to note that today is Miss Padma Patil’s funeral, which is scheduled to take place at one o’clock in Hogsmeade. Everyone, even if they are not attending, should offer their condolences to the Patil family and or Miss Parvati Patil.

“Also,” Dumbledore continued over the now growing ruckus, “security for this Hogsmeade visit will be increased.” For once throughout Dumbledore’s speech, Professor’s Lupin and Drowry finally relaxed a little and nodded their heads in agreement to Dumbledore’s comment. “Student’s are ordered to report to a specific teacher at a specific time several times throughout the day. They are also not to go anywhere alone! All students must be accompanied by at least one other student at all times! Meeting times have been scheduled around the funeral for those attending. For anyone who does not report to a teacher at the scheduled time, when they are found they will be banned form all further Hogsmeade visits this year and they will be issued two detentions.”

The students all broke into disappointed and angry talk at Dumbledore’s announcement concerning the check-ins. Harry hardly cared though. Groups of two, him and Hermione. What did it matter if every once in a while they had to meet a teacher? It didn’t. Hermione and he would still have a great day to spend with each other, and they would be safer. He glanced at Hermione, expecting her to have a relieved look on her face. But she was still worried, and she continued to stare at her uneaten breakfast.

“Hermione,” he finally asked, “what’s the matter? Are you okay?”

Hermione glanced up at Harry and then back down at her plate.

“No,” Harry said, pulling her face away from the eggs and bacon so that he could look into her eyes. “Tell me, what’s wrong?”

“It’s just that, well…”

“What?”

Hermione looked at him, her eyes got a little misty. “I just have this feeling that something terrible is going to happen today.”


“Hey Marietta!” Cho asked sliding onto the bench next to her and Penelope. “Where were you yesterday afternoon and last night? I haven’t seen you since lunch!”

“I was just talking with some of the Professor’s and Dumbledore,” Marietta said quickly. “They were trying to figure out what happened to Ron to make him fall.”

“What did you say?” Penelope asked.

“I told them truth,” she answered. “There was a puddle of water on the floor, I took my wand out to clean it up, but before I could, Ron slipped on the puddle and fell down the stairs. If you guys don’t mind, I’m gonna go back to my room. I forgot something I need for the Hogsmeade trip.”


Marietta walked away from the Ravenclaw table and out of the Great Hall, now was her chance. She quickly followed her out of the Great Hall and up the staircase towards the Ravenclaw common room.

“Marietta!” she cried at the retreating girl once they were in a secluded area.

Marietta whirled around and looked at her wide-eyed.

“I didn’t tell them anything,” she cried. “I didn’t tell them about you! They didn’t find anything out! Please!”

“I have no doubt you didn’t tell the Professor’s,” she said. “I know my threat to kill you would keep your mouth shut. Unfortunately, the Dark Lord and I are no longer in need of your services.”

“What!” she cried. “No! No please! I’ll do anything! I’ll serve you both! Make me a Death Eater! I didn’t tell anyone I swear! Please don’t!”

“Consider your services to my Master and I terminated as of this moment.”

“No!” Marietta cried as she raised her wand.

“Stop!”


“Severus, Remus, Sprout, Amanda- I want the four of you to go to Hogsmeade with the students and take care of the check-ins. Each of you will meet a specific House outside the Three Broomsticks at specified times. If anyone is found to be missing I am to be contacted immediately. I will be in a private room of the Three Broomsticks. Understood?” Dumbledore said as the teachers prepared to leave the school with the students. All of the Professor’s nodded their heads in response to Dumbledore.

“Severus and Sprout, I would like you two to take care of your respected houses,” Dumbledore said. “Amanda, you will be in charge of Ravenclaw. Remus, if you would handle Gryffindor. The times are on your parchments. Let’s go!”

With those words Dumbledore began to walk out of the castle.

“Ah, Dumbledore?” Drowry asked raising her hand.

“Yes Amanda? Is there something more?” he asked.

“Yes actually,” she said smiling, “I was wondering whether you thought this “check-in” is an apt response to our problem?”

“What are you implying Miss Drowry?” Dumbledore asked.

“I believe, as do the other Professor’s, that we are not doing enough to protect certain students. I think the Hogsmeade trip should be called off,” she said.

“Headmaster, we don’t think your taking this situation as seriously as you should,” Lupin cut in. Drowry, Snape, and Sprout nodded their heads in agreement. Dumbledore looked at all of them. He knew he had been wrong the whole time. He knew he had made a mistake, and he felt ashamed that he had ignored all the small details and hints of what was going on. But what could he do now?

“Listen Remus,” he said, “listen all of you; we cannot stop the students from this Hogsmeade visit, especially since many of them are hoping to attend Padma’s funeral. I have instituted the check-ins; if anyone goes missing we shall know immediately.”

“What good will that do us?” Drowry asked. “Once we know their missing, what do we do? How does knowing their gone help us in any way?”

Dumbledore bowed his head. He had to do this, for several reasons.

“The students want to attend Padma’s funeral,” he said. “They also want a day out of school. Mr. Potter will be accompanied by Miss Granger at all times, I can assure you of that. As you all know, both Miss Granger and Mr. Potter are very capable, as they have demonstrated many times before.”

None of the Professor’s said anything, they knew what he was saying was true. But doubt was still in their minds.

“Headmaster,” Snape said, “while they are both capable, they both have an uncanny ability to get themselves into trouble. That, they have demonstrated many times before.”

“Severus,” Dumbledore answered, his blue eyes were twinkling uncannily and his voice was firm, “something tells me they will be a little less apt to seek trouble this time around.”

“Why is that?” Sprout asked.

“Mr. Potter and Miss Granger have recently become an item,” Drowry answered Sprout’s question. “You think their feelings for each other will keep them from getting into trouble,” she asked Dumbledore.

“I think so, yes,” he answered. “But also, it is time they both learn a little bit of responsibility.” The Professor’s all looked questionably at Dumbledore. “Last year, Harry was made aware of all the circumstances concerning himself and Voldemort, most importantly, I told him about the prophecy. Harry now knows what he must do. Going along with that, it is time for him to start to realize that we might not be around to help him when he faces Voldemort.”

“There’s something else,” Drowry said, looking coyly at Dumbledore. “What else? What aren’t you telling us?”

“That,” Dumbledore said holding up his finger, “can and will wait for later. That will wait until Mr. Potter and Miss Granger realize it themselves, at that time we will find out whether my guess is right or not.” And without saying another word, Dumbledore walked away, leaving all of the Professor’s with very confused looks on their faces.


“What now Draco?” she asked, looking at the blonde haired boy who had stopped her from killing Marietta. “What do you want?”

“He’s not dead!” Malfoy yelled. “That fucking Weasley bastard isn’t dead!”

“Duh!” she shouted at him. “We were all there, we heard the announcement! What do you expect me to do about it?”

Malfoy just steamed in front of her. She had never seen him so angry, never.

“I wanna kill him,” he said. “I wanna kill ‘em all! I wanna kill that fucking Dumbledork, that’d wipe his stupid smirk of his face! I wanna see the horror on Scarheads face while he watches me rape and beat his darling mudblood! I wanna feel their blood on my hands! I want a piece of your glory!”

She smiled at him. He looked sexy angry, especially with his face all flushed red like that.

“Why did you stop me from killing her?” she asked, pointing towards the sobbing girl at her feet. “You want to feel her blood too?”

“Not necessarily,” he said. “I came to...I came to...”

“Just say it!”

“I came to apologize!”

“What?”

“I’m sorry I attacked Weasley without your say so,” he said. “The fact is, I just want a little glory. Everything I have is because of my father’s money and my father’s power. I want something for me, because I earned, not because I was born into the right family. I want to serve the Dark Lord and make him proud of me! I want to help you.”

She smiled. She walked up the angry boy and pushed him against the wall, he let her. She kissed him on the lips. It was light at first, but then she bit him. Marietta tried to crawl away while they were kissing.

“You stay right the fuck where you are!” Malfoy shouted at her. She sunk sobbing to the floor again. “Well?” he asked her.

She moved away from him and glanced at the sobbing girl on the floor.

“How do you think we should kill her?”


Harry and Hermione walked away from Lupin, that had been their second check-in. So far it seemed as if everything was going fine, as far as they knew no one had gone missing yet. Not that they cared much.

Harry and Hermione had spent the whole day together, wandering in and out of the shops. They had both stopped in Honeydukes and Zonkos to buy get well gifts for Ron. Harry had also snuck into a small jewelry store and bought Hermione a necklace. It had a large red stone set in the middle of a silver heart.

“The lady I bought it from said that the crystal stands for eternity,” he said while he latched the necklace on Hermione’s neck while they sat outside on a tree trunk. “That’s what I want you to think about every time you look or think about me, us, forever.”

Padma’s funeral had been rather lengthy, especially since there were so many students and Professor’s who needed to give their condolences to the family. Due to that fact, many students had to be excused from Dumbledore’s punishment of not coming in for their check-in.

But despite the Professors’ apparent worry, nothing of any great occurrence happened during the Hogsmeade trip.

Harry and Hermione were walking hand in hand back to Hogwarts. They were surrounded by the students, none of which had gone missing during the day.

“Hermione,” Ginny said running up to them from behind. “Parvati is back here, let’s go see how she’s doing.”

“I’ll be right back Harry,” she said to him. “Be careful, okay?”

“You know I will.” Harry walked over to Seamus.

“How’s Ron?” Seamus asked.

“I don’t know,” Harry said. “All I know is that he’s alive. Hermione wants to go see him soon, but I don’t know if they’ll visitors. I don’t know how bad he is.”

“I heard that McGonagall said they still weren’t sure if he would live or not?”

“Yeah, but I think he will,” Harry said. “Something just tells me that Ron’s going to be okay.”

They walked a long time in silence, Hogwarts looming ever closer. For some reason, Harry was starting to feel that uneasiness that Hermione had been talking about earlier. He glanced around him, but didn’t see Marietta anywhere. Seamus and Harry entered Hogwarts and were walking up the staircase to their common room when Ginny came running up to them.

“Hey Seamus,” she said greeting her boyfriend with a quick kiss on the cheek. “Where’s Hermione?” Harry asked.

“Oh, she’s back there,” Ginny said turning around to point behind her.


“See,” Dumbledore said the Professor’s after the last check-in of the day. “Nothing happened! Harry Potter is safe and sound, not even the slightest occurrence.”

“The day isn’t over yet,” Lupin said as they walked back into the castle. “Neither is the week, or month, or year. Voldemort could take Harry anytime. He doesn’t need a Hogsmeade visit to do it.”

“What are you suggesting Remus?” Dumbledore laughed. “Do you want me to follow him around all the time?”

“You guys just don’t get it do you?” They both turned around to see a very serious Amanda Drowry. “This is not a game.”

“We know Amanda,” Dumbledore said. “Sometimes though, people just need to loosen up in a time of darkness. Don’t worry, Harry is safe on Hogwarts grounds.”

“You still don’t get it,” she said. “Who said it was Harry that Voldemort is wanting to get?”


“She’s right back there,” Ginny said pointing. “She was still talking to Parvati when I...where did she go?”

They all stopped and looked around. They could see Parvati, she was surrounded by a throng of students trying to offer their condolences. But they didn’t see Hermione.

“Hermione!” Harry shouted.

But there was no answer.


Okay, there it is. I uploaded two chapter in a single night for all of you! But now that things are getting really good, I think it's time to set some standards. I would like to have 10 new reviews on these two chapters before 11 comes up! Hopefully you'll do that before the end of the week because I'm out of town all weekend! You guys might have to wait until Monday! OH NO!!! Oh well! Get reviewing! I love hearing from you guys and I love you all!!!