Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Detour into the Forbidden




The start of term didn’t have the same effect on Hermione as Harry had hoped. He was sure that Hermione would cheer up with the start of all the classes. It always helped Harry. He thought about this for a moment. He had always felt that Hogwarts was his home, but Hermione already had a great home.

Harry watched her from the other side of the common room. She tried to do what looked like Arithmancy homework, but kept gazing around the room. She gave a heavy sigh, put her homework up unfinished, and went into the girls’ dormitory while everyone around waved sympathetically. Harry new that she needed some time to herself. When ever he snuck out of the castle, he always felt better the next day. He strolled over to the window. The grounds were covered with all large blanket of snow. If only he could get Hermione out there. She could have time to think to herself.

A truly evil thought came over him. He looked back out the window at the full moon. Lupin always could catch you, even if you were under an invisibility cloak, but tonight he couldn’t. Despite how horrible it seemed to take advantage of Lupin, the thought of Hermione convinced him otherwise.

He crept into the boys’ dormitory and poked his head out the window. The Gryffindor tower curled around; the boys’ dormitory on one side, and the girls’ on the other. The ground was still covered with a thin layer of snow, illuminated by the full moon. A chilly breeze caused him to draw his head back into the window. He wanted desperately to talk to Hermione, but he didn’t dare try to walk into the girls’ dormitory. He laughed at the memory of Ron trying to walk in and getting pushed out by dozens on giggling girls.

He looked around for someone he could ask to fetch Hermione out of the girls’ dormitory. Ginny, who was his first choice, didn’t seem to be around. Harry looked over to a large group of girls. “Parvati…” he mumbled to himself. Pushing his way through the girls, he found himself facing Parvati. “Parvati, erm… hi… I was wondering if you could get Hermione for me. I need to ask her something-”

“Do you have any idea what she’s been through?” Parvati asked skeptically, “And I suppose you want her to answer your homework….”

“No,” Harry said flatly, “I just need to ask her something.”

“And what’s that?” Parvati asked shrilly. Harry couldn’t tell her that he wanted Hermione to sneak out of the castle. Parvati grew impatient.

“So you don’t know? Then I don’t see why I should get her.” she said simply. Harry went to another group of girls, but somehow, within the last 30 seconds, Parvati had put a disclaimer on him, telling everyone not to help him.

Angrily going back to the dormitory, Harry threw the invisibility cloak over him. He weaved through the crowd in the common room. Then cracked the door open to the girls’ dormitory and peaked in. It was completely blocked off by a pack of giggling girls. He only wished that he could just push them aside, but then someone would most likely notice him trying to push through and grab his cloak. Somewhere on the other side of all those girls was Hermione. Why did women have to travel in packs? Harry thought desperately to himself.

As Harry walked back into the dormitory, he tripped over something lying on the floor. He looked down and saw what looked like Darrel’s broomstick. Harry gazed back out the window and then to his trunk. It seemed so simple, yet so offbeat. Remembering how much better he felt when he had time alone, he gave a heavy sigh and opened his trunk.

He had never done something so crazy in his life. He grabbed his Firebolt and invisibility cloak and opened the window. If he couldn’t walk into the girls’ dormitory, he would have to fly in.

Harry threw the invisibility cloak over his head and walked over to the window. He swung his leg out the window, and then his arm which held the Firebolt. All in one movement he pushed off with his other leg and fumbled onto the broom. Very slowly, he stood on the broom and leaned against the wall for support, inching the broom around the tower. It was extraordinarily nerve raking. Normally, he would have been glad to fly his broom, but now he had to stand up and use his hands to guide him across the curving wall. If he sat down, the cloak wouldn’t cover him.

Finally he reached a window that showed the girls’ dormitory. Nobody in it was looking out the window, or even towards the window, but Hermione, who sat staring out the window. (But morally through Harry’s cloaked head) Seeing no other people looking around, he removed the cloak from his head. Hermione stumbled backwards and gasped. Harry quickly put his finger over his lip and shoved the cloak back over the head for many people looked over to see what Hermione gasped for. Finally taking in what had just happened, Hermione rushed over and opened the window, poking her head out to see what he was standing on.

“Harry! What…? Get in here!” she hissed. Harry reluctantly released one of his legs from the broom and made a jump for the window landing gracefully on Hermione’s bed with the firebolt in one of his hands. Hermione looked shocked. “Why didn’t you just walk through the door under the cloak instead of flying?” Harry spoke in a slightly annoyed voice.

“There were a lot of girls to be blocking the way in. I couldn’t just push them out of the way.” said Harry. Hermione still looked skeptical.

“Well you should have just asked someone to come get me.” she moaned.

“I tried,” Harry said roughly. He made sure that the cloak was still covering him. “But never mind that. Remember how you asked ‘how do I live with it’? Well I just… I just give myself some time to be alone.” he said quickly as though he didn’t have much time. He was sure that someone would notice Hermione talking to the bed eventually.

“What are you suggesting?” Hermione asked slowly. Harry thought for a moment.

“Before I knew Lupin had his own map, I used to sneak out of the castle. You know, just go sit by the lake but-” he was interrupted.

“So what makes you think Lupin wouldn’t see me on the map?” Hermione asked. Harry pointed out the window. Hermione looked and shielded her eyes from the moon. At first she looked confused, but then looked shocked at Harry.

“That’s horrible,” she said shrilly, “You just want me to take advantage of him?”

“I know it sounds bad,” Harry groaned, “But you have know idea how much good it will do you. Just trust me on this.” Hermione bit her lip, and to Harry’s great surprise, nodded her head. “Okay, meet me back in the common room and I’ll give you the cloak and map.”

He didn’t bother standing on his broom going back to the boys’ dormitory. It was now dark, so nobody should see him. As he went back into the common room, he saw Hermione trying to get out of a conversation with Parvati, who looked as though she could have rambled on for hours, if nobody stopped her. Harry gave Hermione the map and cloak.

“Remember, to clear the map when your done.” he said. Hermione looked on the verge of tears. Very quickly, she gave him a sisterly kiss on the cheek, and disappeared under the cloak.