Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Occlumency Aside


Harry was glad to see Hermione looking herself again the next morning. Because he didn’t have any classes that day (Mainly because of Quidditch) Madam Pomfrey insisted that he stay in at least until the match started. Hermione however looked as though she would become distressed again if Madam Pomfrey didn’t let her out to study. Harry was left alone in the hospital wing.

Rain rapped against the window. Harry was self-consciously glad of his; It gave him a chance to test out the Quidditch uniform Lupin gave him.

Ron came in the hospital as soon as curfew was over holding the Marauder’s Map. “What happened last night mate?” he asked. Harry grinned and started to explain last night’s events. He looked down at the map the entire time.

“Now why, might I ask, do you have my map?” Harry asked. Ron looked down at the Marauder’s Map.

“Well I was wondering where you were. I mean the last time I saw you was at Quidditch practice. You can’t tell much from this you know; just where people are, but not what they’re doing.” he said. Harry smirked. He could imagine Ron looking for something exciting to do and then realizing Harry and Hermione were going from Dumbledore’s office to the hospital wing.
.
Hermione came bustling back into the hospital wing holding a copy of the Daily Prophet. “The elections were held yesterday! For Minister of Magic you know? Look!” She threw over the paper, and Ron caught and held it out so they could both see.


Ministry Elects Amelia Bones as Mistress of Magic!

An election held by over one thousand ministry officials has made Amelia Bones the new Mistress of Magic. The ceremony welcoming Mrs. Bones will be held next Sunday at the Ministry of Magic atrium for the public to attend.



Harry didn’t bother to read the rest. He had great respect for Amelia Bones. She was the judge of the hearing Harry had to attend last year to avoid being expelled. Even though Fudge himself was there, she managed to maintain fairness.

“Susan was really happy this morning,” Hermione said happily, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so cheerful.” Harry thought for a moment.

“Why was Susan happy?” he asked, unable to think of where he had heard of her. Hermione rolled her eyes.

“Susan Bones… Why wouldn’t she be happy?” Harry opened his mouth stupidly. Now he remembered Susan. He had never thought about her being related to Amelia Bones, though when he thought about it they did have a similar appearance.


Madam Pomfrey let Harry out of the hospital wing around noon so that he could go to the Quidditch match. Katie gave a small speech before the match started. Luckily she wasn’t turning into a ‘Wood’ type of captain. Harry’s Quidditch uniform kept him warm, while everyone else shivered while listening to Katie. Ginny had an expression on her face as though asking for his uniform, but Harry was determined not to give in, despite how pitiful she looked.

They walked out onto the field. The only thing that was visible in the stands were bright colours of blue, green, gold, and scarlet that were umbrellas. Madam Hootch ordered the captains to shake hands. Katie stepped out and looked for the Slytherin captain. Draco Malfoy stepped out of the Slytherin team and looked and Katie in disgust who returned it with an equal look. Harry felt anger rise into him as he saw Malfoy thought of Hermione and Sirius, and how he had hurt them so much. He felt as though he would rather die than loose to him.

Katie and Malfoy looked like they were trying to break the other person’s fingers. The whistle sounded and they all rose into the air. He barely noticed the bad weather because of his uniform. The water resistance charm on his goggles kept the rain out of his eyes.

The announcer that replaced Lee Jordan was in Hufflepuff, but seemed to side with Gryffindor all the same. Her voice would become louder and more excited when Gryffindor was in possession. One had to admit though, it was much more amusing listening to Lee being scolded by Professor McGonagall.

Down below he could see all three of the Slytherin chasers charging towards Ron, who looked rather pale. An echoing cheer from the Gryffindor indicated that Ron saved the goal. Harry grinned and returned to his search for the snitch.

At the other end of the field Malfoy went into a dive. Harry looked towards where he was diving and started pelting towards it as soon as he saw the snitch. With no hesitation, he bashed his shoulder into Malfoy’s. They followed the snitch high into the air. Both extended their arms and reached out for it. Harry forced his broom forward so that he tips of his glove closed around the snitch.

“WHAM!” Something hard hit him in the center of his back, causing him to slip forward of his broom. But he didn’t fall. Somehow he merely was suspended in the air. Harry looked up and saw his hand grasped around the broomstick handle. The glove’s magnetic grip on the broom held him in the air, while the other glove held the snitch.

He gave a triumphant laugh at Malfoy’s face, and swung back and forth on the broom until he could swing his leg over the edge. He hoped Lupin had gone to the match
and saw how useful the uniform was.

People in the common room seemed more relieved than joyous. Like Harry they felt that hey would rather die than loose the match. This didn’t stop them from celebrating however. Ron left the common room and came back with a keg of Butterbeer with a plate of sandwiches stacked on top.

Ron,” Hermione hissed, “You-are-a-prefect!” she said very clearly.

“I’m just encouraging house spirit.” said Ron while popping a sandwich into his mouth. Harry wandered into the dormitory to get away from the crowds of people. He looked up at the clock which read 8:07. Harry stared at it as though he was supposed to remember something.

“Occlumency,” he mumbled under is breath and made a grab for his wand before heading downstairs. Lupin was sitting at his desk which had his Marauders Map laid out across it. “Sorry,” Harry said quietly, “Common room party made me loose track of time.”

“Well I’m sure that it will be going long after you return.” Lupin said.

“Actually I was heading to bed before I saw what time it was.” Harry admitted. Lupin shifted the conversation back to Occlumency.

“Anyway, after talking with Professor Dumbledore last night I’ve decide to put Occlumency aside.” he said, “There are many different ways to use the mind to repel charms. Of course Occlumency is one. The other main one is fighting off the Imperious curse. Now according to Professor Dumbledore, you have done this before, and seceded. The main thing that pushes the imperious charm to work is time. So, in order for it to be effective we have to see how long you can repel it.” he said in a rather matter-of-factly manner.

Harry had many thoughts rolling through his head at once. He wasn’t aware that Lupin knew any of the three unforgivable curses, and much less be willing to perform them on a student. He was, however, more than ready to undergo the imperious curse; even the weightless feeling he remembered made him feel relaxed. Lupin walked to the center of the office and Harry followed in suit.

Harry placed his wand back in his back pocket and stood stiffly in the middle of the room. “Ready?” Lupin said softly. Harry nodded. And there was the familiar weightless feeling. As though he was nothing; he had no troubles; he wasn’t ‘the boy who lived’, or Harry Potter. He was merely an existing spirit, floating weightlessly in the air.

“Open the door.” came a distance voice. It echoed throughout the very air. Harry shook his weightless head.

“That’s a bit random. I would much rather just stand here.” came another voice that was unmistakably Harry’s.

Open the door! ” Lupin’s voice said more firmly. Harry shook his head once more.

“Its all rather pointless if you think about it. I mean if I’m standing here, why walk over and open the door?” Harry told Lupin. The curse seemed to strengthen, making the air heavy, and Harry no longer quite as weightless.

“OPEN IT!” Lupin bellowed. A strong, invisible, wind like force seemed to follow his voice, attempting to push Harry towards the door. Harry’s body felt as though it would not do anything that required energy.

“So your going to let wind take control of you?” asked Harry’s almost sarcastic voice. He forced his muscles to keep him where he was.

OPEN IT!” Lupin roared. The wind like force grew to strong for Harry to repel easily. He felt his knees bent and leaned towards the door. He was not opening the door, but the curses was starting to take effect.

“Its only been about two, maybe three minuets! Don’t give up so soon.” Harry’s voice said. Harry’s knees stood stiffly to prevent him from moving. And so it went on until Harry couldn’t handle it anymore; his knees were too tired and sore to prevent himself from falling towards the door. He eased his muscles so that the force would push him to the door….

“Six minutes, well done Harry!” Lupin said in an impressed voice. He sounded tired but satisfied expression. Harry pushed himself away from the door, which took an awful amount of effort.

“Six minutes?” Harry said weakly, “So if someone tried for six minutes they could have complete control of me?”

“Oh no,” Lupin corrected, “Not complete control. That would take a considerable more amount of time.” Harry still felt oddly helpless. “What you must understand, Harry, is that very few full grown wizards can fight off the imperious curse, and only a handful out of them can do it for more than five minuets.” said Lupin. Harry didn’t really care all that much about how well other wizards could do it, just how much it could help him.

“Now the reason why this helps you is because it takes just as much effort to repel the curse as it does to use it against someone.” he said. Harry looked up at Lupin’s face. He looked quite exhausted; much more than Harry.

"I think thats enought for today." Lupin said at last. Harry opened his mouth to argue but looking at his exhausted face nodded and went through the door.