Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Birthday at Grimmauld




Most of the Order members were out on some kind of duty every day, leaving Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny the only people at Grimmauld place. There was, however, always one member of the Order there. That alone, was considered work for the Order. Fred and George visited occasionally, but spent most of their time tending to their shop.

Harry usually kept away from people as much as possible. Everything around him reminded him of Sirius. He tried to hide this. He didn’t want to make everyone else to feel bad because he was. Harry was glad people didn’t stay at the Order very much. Usually it was only people close to Harry that stayed at the Order to keep watch on them; Tonks, Mr. or Mrs. Weasley, or Lupin.

Harry lay asleep in his room, awoken by a bright light shinning in his eyes. He shielded his eyes from the sun and rolled over out of the bed. Ron was already up stretching his arms and yawning. “Morning 'arry,” he said tiredly. “Who’s on duty today then?”

Harry yawned. “I don’t know. Probably Tonks, she hasn't come for a while." he said trying to avoid a conversation.

“No, Lupin.” Hermione said entering the room followed by Ginny.

“Yeah,” Ginny said “He looked rather distracted actually. Don’t know why.” Hermione nodded.

“Well breakfast is ready anyway.” she said and walked out the door with Ginny.

Harry and Ron came downstairs a couple of minuets later. Hermione and Ginny were already helping themselves to some oatmeal. Lupin too was eating, but didn’t see to notice anyone else. He was obviously thinking quite hard about something. Harry greeted him. “Err…hello” he said waiting for some kind of response.

Lupin looked up and put aside what ever he was thinking. “Hello,” he greeted back “help your self. Molly made it before she left.” he said pointing to a large pot of oatmeal.

“Mum was here?” Ron asked a bit annoyed that nobody informed him.

“Yes, but only for a while,” Lupin replied, “She didn’t want to wake you two up or anything.” Ginny opened her mouth but didn’t say anything.

Harry grabbed a bowl of oatmeal and sat next to Lupin. “Um, Profeosor, is something wrong?" he asked, “You look a bit... distracted.”

Lupin shook his head. “Just something the order wants me to do.” he said swiftly. Harry had no idea of what this could be, but Hermione obviously had an idea, but didn't say anything.

The days drifted slowly by as Harry forgot what the date or even the day of the week was. He tried to simply relax and sleep, but knowing what was happening (Or not knowing what was happening) in the wizarding world made it hard. He decided that since he couldn’t sleep, he would see what Hermione and Ginny were doing (since Ron was still asleep.) As he passed Ginny and Hermione’s room, he peered in to see if they were awake. Hermione wasn’t even there. Ginny on the other hand was fast asleep.

He continued down stairs to see where Hermione went. Several people were already there, whispering excitedly. “What’s going on?” Harry asked tiredly. Everyone silenced and turned around. Nobody had seen him come down the stairs.

Ron stepped forward. “Err… Happy birthday?” he said with a hint of laughter in his voice.

Harry looked bewildered. “Today’s not my… What is today?” he asked.

“July 31st mate,” Ron answered.

Harry shrugged. “I guess I haven’t been keeping track of the dates or anything.” he said.

Mrs. Weasley smiled, along with many other people. Fred and George apparated into the room. “Sorry we’re late.” George mumbled “We had to make sure it wasn't Ginny who got the sleeping-- When did he wake up?” Fred asked pointing to Harry.

“You act surprised that I can wake up.” Harry said with a grin.

“It’s not that,” Fred said. “We gave you a sleeping draft so you wouldn’t wake up to early.”

Hermione came forward. “Well I think you did give the sleeping draft to Ginny Fred." she said tiredly.

“It doesn’t matter anyway.” said Harry. “It’s no big deal.” Mrs. Weasley frowned.

“Oh but it does Harry. It’s your birthday!” she said. Harry shrugged. Lupin ignited his wand since it was still dark. Many other people did the same. Harry soon found himself in a cozy chair, unwrapping an abnormally large pile of presents (and not just by Harry’s standers.)

Harry felt a little self centered because so many members of the Order had left there duties to come see him on his birthday. Hermione seemed to notice this. “Look, everyone deserves a nice birthday, and you of all people need it most. Just try to enjoy this before everyone leaves.” she added in a convincing voice. And so he did. Many people had given him wonderful gifts.

From Lupin, a very useful Quidditch uniform. The robe either cooled down or warmed up, depending on the weather. The glasses had a water repelling charm on it for rain. The gloves fit perfectly over Harry’s hand. One of them had a magnetic grip on the handle of a broom to prevent the player form falling of his or her broom. The other glove had a strong grip at the finger tips for catching the snitch. The shoes had a special arch in them, specifically made to fit around the foot handles.

Hagrid had given him a book of at least 300 magical creatures on it. On the cover was a picture of a kneazle cleaning its self that looked oddly like Crookshanks. As soon as Harry thanked Hagrid and set it down Hermione picked it up and started flipping through the pages. Crookshanks, who was sitting close to Hermione, streaked off as though hiding something.

Ron had given him a large assortment of candies. Included were many products that Harry new came from one place; Fred and Georges shop. Harry had plenty of fun with these. They were small packages of confetti with different things each time including bats, fireworks and such. Harry’s favorite confetti was one that shot images of funny memories.

Bang! Peeves was unscrewing a chandler for Umbridge to take care of. Bang! Hagrid gave Dudley a pig’s tail. Bang! Hermione ran screaming from the boggart version of McGonagall that was telling her she failed every class. Bang! The ferret version of Malfoy bounced about the hall.

Harry couldn’t help but laugh. Neither could anyone else, with the exception of Hermione who was watching herself run across the room screaming. Hermione had given him a charms book labeled; Useful, Old, and Forgotten charms. Harry flipped through the pages. Indeed there were old but useful charms; charms that froze water, turned potions into wine, and one that aloud one to control a small portions of liquid.

Many people had got him defense books, which was perfectly fine by him. None of the books, however, were as useful as Hermione’s. The last present in the stack was from Dumbledore, who wasn’t there. Harry didn’t care though. Dumbledore was always busy doing something important. The paper on it was fading different colour and giving off a small glow. He tore of the flashing paper.

Within it was a small unused Pensieve. Everyone stared at it with aw. It had the same airy/liquid material in it as Dumbledore’s. He took of the note tied to it, which was from whatever company made it. It had instructions on how to place a memory within it, summon a memory, or dive into it, which Harry already knew. Harry thanked every one who came. Most people needed to leave as fast as possible which was reasonable.

Ron and Hermione helped Harry take all his new stuff upstairs. Harry carried the Pensieve by himself, being careful not to spill anything. The rest of the day was spent eating candies and looking through spell books. Harry read the instructions to the pensive.


Dear costumer,
We would like to congratulate you on your purchase of a Pensieve. A Pensieve can be used to prove that one has done what they claim, to look back on forgotten memories, of just to visit ones childhood. Included are instructions for use of the Pensieve that should be read carefully.


To place a memory within the Pensieve:

First, place your hand in to the liquid material. Then, think very hard on the memory you would like to place within the Pensieve from beginning to end. Immediately after, take your hand out of the Pensieve. For best results do this in a quite environment.

Recalling a memory:

Firstly, think of the major thing that happened in the memory you would like to recall. Then, place your hand directly over the Pensieve and slowly raise it into the air. If this is done correctly, the memory should rise with your hand. This usually takes practice.

Diving strait into the memory:

This is a very simple process. Simply think of the memory you would like to dive into, and place your wand into the Pensieve. If done correctly, you will be in the same surroundings as the memory its self; A room, outside, ext.


Harry read these instructions many times. Then, placing his hand in the Pensieve, he thought of a simple memory. Thinking of the right one was difficult. Finally he decided on the first time he caught the snitch. It was an odd feeling; as though having a plunger suck the memory out of his head and into the Pensieve. By the time he finished his head felt dizzy. He tried to summon it out of the Pensieve, but found it to be quite difficult. With one last look of frustration, he pulled out his wand and drove it into the basin.

From an empty seat in the stand, he watched the first year version of him self dangling from his broom. He looked at the professors’ stand, where Hermione was setting fire to Snape’s robe. He grinned at little Hermione, who scampered back to the stands. Then the younger Harry flew directly above him. He was diving for the snitch. Harry cheered from the stands. Once again, he found himself grinning at the younger Harry spitting out the snitch which he had been choking on.

The memory ended and Harry found himself standing back in his and Ron’s bedroom. Hermione and Ron were both looking skeptical. “Harry! Where were you?” Hermione asked in a mother like voice.

“Yeah mate, we were about to go tell Lupin.” Ron said. Harry didn’t care.

“I was in the Pensieve.” he said, pointing to it. Ron and Hermione still looked annoyed. Harry grinned. “Look I’m sorry, alright? But I’ll make it up to you. Prod the pensive with your wand. Trust me, it’s brilliant." Both Ron and Hermione looked at him as though he was crazy. “Just do it alright? It doesn’t hurt or anything.” Harry said. They took out their wands and hesitantly poked the Pensieve, disappearing from view. Harry joined them.

Ron was waving his hand in front of his younger self. “Oy! Look at me you little bloke.” he said as though it should see him. Hermione was tapping her foot impatiently.

Harry laughed. “It’s a memory Ron. You can’t interact with anyone.” He said.

“I told you!” Hermione hissed waving her hands in the air. She looked around. “Where am I though?” she asked. Harry pointed to the professors’ stand. Harry, Ron, and even Hermione laughed at the look on Snape’s face as his robe caught on fire.

The next few weeks at Grimmauld were spent exploring each others memories. Even Lupin and Tonks took part, showing them memories of their childhood. Harry particularly enjoyed Lupin’s, because he could he see all the adventures he, James, and Sirius took about the castle. Lupin was sure not to get any memories of James cursing Snape or anything, but of heroic things he did. Harry was happy about this. He usually kept any good ones in his Pensieve. Harry only wished his godfather could have been there too.

Harry had finally got the hang of summoning a memory out of the Pensieve so he didn’t have to dive into it each time. He sat in front of it and watched himself conjure his first patronus. He smiled in spite of himself. It was rather confusing to watch. Now there were three of him; one watching himself and one saving the other from the dementors kiss. Harry heard someone enter the room. “I was always found of that particular patronus.” said Lupin, but then frowned "Why there are two of you?” Harry gave a guilty grin, one that was mostly seen on Fred and George, and summoned a different memory.

Back in the hospital wing stood Harry, Hermione, and Dumbledore. Both Hermione and Harry were trying to explain every thing that happened with Sirius and Pettigrew at the same time. Dumbledore held up his hand. “There is nothing we can do. What we need is more time.” he said looking at Hermione. He got up about to lock the door. “I think three turns should do it.” he added and locked them in. The memory ended and fell back into the Pensieve with Hermione holding up her time-turner.

Lupin looked rather surprised but it seemed to sink in after thinking about it. “I suppose I should be used to things like this happening around the castle.” Harry nodded. Hermione entered the room with Ginny. Ginny looked amazed. Harry's heart sank, as he didn’t feel like telling them a long story about his godfather. Lupin seemed to notice this and decided to change the subject.

“I just came up here to tell you a little about the Pensieve.” Lupin said. “I know it’s fun to look back on all the fun memories, but that’s not the only purpose for it. You should also put some of the... less pleasurable ones in it. Major events that change your life. That’s the main idea of a Pensieve.” Harry nodded. That was what Dumbledore used his for, and it seemed to serve him well.


**Just a little disclaimer: I don't own that bit from PoA. JKR and WB do. It can be found on page 393 Of PoA.