Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Thank you so much for all of your feedback on this; it’s really encouraging as a writer. It really boosted my confidence, and as you can see, my writing gets better throughout the chapters. I am editing the first few chapters to make everything flow a little better, so if some really minor detail changes, that’s why. It shouldn’t be anything that affects the later chapters or the plot. Also, I would love some feedback on my newest fanfic, Entombed in Azkaban. I will be writing this while I plan out the sequel to this fiction. Yes, there will be a sequel, and I want to plan everything out before starting. So if you have any ideas for my little sequel, please speak up! Thanks again!


A Dismantled Attack



There was a welcomed silence as Harry, Ron, and Hermione shut the meeting room door behind them. It seemed that for the first time, Harry understood his place in life; his friends place in life. Hermione was right. Harry was fighting in this war, but unlike he had thought for the past year, he wasn’t the only one.

They waited in the kitchen for the meeting to end, all in deep thought. It seemed incredible that fifteen years ago life was like this. Waiting; just waiting for someone else to die. Next to him, Ron and Hermione seemed to be thinking the same thing.

“How are they so organized?” said Ron, inclining his head towards the meeting door. “I mean ─ we’re at war, and they seem to know exactly what to do if something like this happens.”

“It’s because they plan for things like this.” Hermione said admirably. “I suppose this was what it was like fifteen years ago… They’ve had practice.”

“You really think they planned for Dumbledore’s death? If it were me that would be the least of my worries.” said Harry. “I think they’re just ─ flexible.”

“Maybe…” Hermione said softly. There was another silence

The Order meeting went on for about an hour. Then the door opened, and the entire Order emerged, swiftly and silently. The few people that knew Harry well had scattered expressions. Some, like Professor Snape, felt that Harry had acted irresponsibly considering that he knew the prophecy. Others, like Lupin looked sympathetic. The people that didn’t know Harry looked quite expressionless. Their anger had canceled out sympathy, leaving them with no opinion on the matter.

Lupin stepped forward to say something, but was cut off by another person. His appearance startled Harry at first, for he looked somewhat like Dumbledore, but slightly disgruntled. He examined Harry closely before saying, “You the boy that killed my brother?”

Aberforth! ” hissed an annoyed McGonagall from behind. Aberforth ignored her and continued to stare down at Harry, his eyes landing upon his forehead.

“’Marked as an equal’ eh boy?” he croaked, his voice was very hoarse. “Didn’t put any brains in that head of yours though did it?”

At this Ron and Hermione stood up. “It is as much Harry’s fault as it is ours.” Hermione stated firmly.

Aberforth seemed taken aback. His gaze fell to Hermione and stepped forward. Hermione did not back away, much to everyone’s surprise. Most people would have at least looked apprehensive, for Aberforth gave a disgruntled impression, much like that of Mad-eye Moody.

Hermione too stepped forward, straitened her back, and raised her eyebrows high into her forehead, as though attempting to challenge him. Both looked as though they were trying to stare at the other long enough to make one of them back away.

“Of course, you could blame it all on Harry, but I doubt much would be accomplished.” she said curtly. By now the Order was completely stunned. Harry doubted whether anyone had dared challenge Aberforth before. They all looked anxious, yet slightly curious of how he would react.

“So you’re to blame then?” Aberforth questioned.

“As much as Harry─” she started.

“How so?” said Aberforth, slowly.

“By acting irresponsibly for my own personal needs when I knew what was at risk─” Hermione started.

“And she’s not the only one.” Ron had also stepped forward at this point. “We all took part in the events that led up to Professor Dumbledore’s death.”

Aberforth examined the three standing students. A voice sounded from behind them, causing them to break their stare.

“I would like to add something to this.” Professor Lupin now stepped forward. “I’m glad that you’ve decided to take responsibility for this but, you’re not the only ones.” He had an expression on his face as though wanting to have said this for several days. “I was not supposed to bring the map out of the castle grounds. I had forgotten that it was in my pocket. When it was stolen, I was too frightened to tell Professor Dumbledore.”

To his right, Harry could see that Hermione had an almost satisfied look on her face. Harry wanted too step on her foot, but it would not happen unnoticed.

Aberforth stared at them for several moments, and the almost seemed to have given up. He took something out of his pocket, which seemed to be a handful of silvery-gray flames. He then took out his wand and pointed it at the flames, which were now consuming his body. Within ten seconds Aberforth was gone. Harry thought that this was his was of disapparating. It rather reminded him of Fawkes.

Members of the Order began to mumble amongst themselves. Lupin motioned Harry, Ron, and Hermione into the hall, leaving the rest of the Order behind. He led them away from the kitchen so has not to be interrupted. Harry was glad of this. Whether good or bad, he did not want to hear the Order’s reaction to the prophecy.

“Alright,” he began, looking over his shoulder, “You three should probably get to bed soon, but you need to know something before you do. Now it appears as though nothing good has happened tonight, but that would be incorrect…. Before Voldemort’s downfall the veil was his next big project. It was to be used for a surprise attack on the Ministry, but he never got the chance. When he came back the Ministry was still in denial, and Voldemort thought it best not to hold his meetings in the middle of the Ministry of Magic. Of course, this year his presence is out in the open, so he returned to the veil, but with a new plan “ the one to lure you, Harry, into it. He decided that after he succeeded with that he would return to his plan to overthrow the Ministry.”

Lupin paused for a moment, letting the recently given information time to sink in. Then he continued. “But now he can do neither. The veil was destroyed when it caught on fire. Only the archway stands. So, in a since, you actually helped the Ministry ─ greatly.”

Lupin paused again to let them think about this until Hermione spoke. “Professor… Why didn’t the unspeakables just burn the veil? Instead of just letting Voldemort use it?”

“Because, Hermione, it had to be destroyed from the inside, and nobody could get behind it.” said Lupin. Hermione nodded and looked at the floor.

“Now,” Professor Lupin began, “Classes have been canceled for a week whilst we get things in order, so you can either go back to the castle tomorrow, or go back in a week with me and Professor Snape. It’s your decision”

“I guess we won’t need our things then.” Harry said and he and Ron turned towards the bedroom.

“Coming ‘mione?” asked Ron. Harry saw Hermione bite her lower lip.

“Harry, maybe we should stay here…” she said softly

What?” said Harry.

“I’ll leave you three to decide.” Lupin said with a small smile. “I’ll need to know by morning.” Lupin turned around and walked down the hall. Only when he closed the door did Harry say anymore.

“You think we should stay here?” Harry asked, a bite of impatiens showing.

“Well, think about it Harry. A lot of things are going to be happening in the wizarding community. We would hear things faster here. Here we can talk in private, but not at Hogwarts, and I doubt you want all thoughs people staring at us.” said Hermione

She was right of course, though Harry didn’t want to admit it. Despite their arrogance, Harry and Ron nodded in agreement.

“Well I should probably send Ginny a letter; you know, fill her in on where we are and all. G’ night.” and with that she left. Harry and Ron went upstairs to the bedroom and slipped into the two beds.

Harry felt filthy, and not just because he slept in his clothes, but because he felt that he had doomed the world, despite what Lupin and the prophecy said. He stared at Phineas ’s empty portrait. As he did so, a new thought drifted into his mind.

“Ron! Ron!” he hissed. But Ron, who was fast asleep, only rolled over. Harry sat up and flung one of his pillows at him. Ron gave a muffled snore before waking up.

What?” Ron snapped, his eyes still closed.

“Wake up!” said Harry.

“Alright! I’m up! See?” He rolled back over to face Harry, but Harry noticed that his eyes were still closed.

“RON!” Harry whispered loudly and threw his other pillow at him so that it hit him hard in the face.

“I said ‘I was up’!” Ron whispered angrily.

“But you weren’t! Common, I want to say something.” said Harry. Ron groaned and sat up in his bed. “Alright, you know how Dumbledore’s office had all those portraits in it? They were the previous headmasters. You think Dumbledore has his own portrait?” said Harry.

Ron looked up thoughtfully. “I don’t see why not. I dunno. How long does it take to paint those anyway?” Harry shrugged.

“I dunno.” said Harry “Sorry, I was just wondering.” he added.

“’s okay mate. G’ night.” with that he fell back into his bed, and began to snore almost immediately afterwards.

Harry lay gently back into his bed. Half of him was desperately wishing he could talk to Dumbledore, even if it was through a portrait. The other half was scared that he might pop into the bedroom portrait in the middle of the night. After what seemed like an eternity, Harry dozed off into a peaceful sleep.