Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Sorry this took so long! I’ve been very busy lately! I should have the last chapter up within a week.


Learners of Apparition



A low, rasp voice rang throughout Harry’s mind all through the week. …And either must die at the hand of the other… The only question that Harry could find was ‘why?’. Why must he die at the hand of Voldemort? Would nothing else be able to kill him? What about himself? If he were to be hit by a killing curse other than Voldemort’s would he still live?

Hermione had thought about this too. It troubled her that she could not find an answer. However, she seemed determined to keep any thoughts of the prophecy to herself. Perhaps she thought it rude to question Harry’s fate when it was so clear.

The Order seemed surprisingly organized. People came in and out of Grimmauld Place, making sure that they in the correct place at the right time. Harry, Ron, and Hermione spent a majority of their time in the kitchen, hoping to hear any new information that be reveled.

The Daily Prophet reported only panic. The front cover had a large black and white picture of a large crowd of people in the Department of Mysteries. Reporters from all over the world were among the crowd, cameras held high, while the Ministry officials were attempting to push them away from the scene.

Harry was actually glad that he had reveled the prophecy, unlike he had expected. He finally felt understood. The people around him knew, now, how to treat him and when to back off. He looked at the world in a new light.

This wasn’t the only thing that benefited. Harry seemed to understand Ron and Hermione better. Hermione, however emotional, stood bravely for what she believed in. It gave her more respect from everybody around her, including the majority of the Order members.

Ron had gained just as much respect as Hermione, and both seemed to be enjoying it ” Hermione had got into the habit of caring a list of S.P.E.W. members around Grimmauld Place trying to recruit members of the Order.

“Now ya see ‘Mione,” Mundungus said as Hermione questioned him from across the dinner table, “The people I sell to ” most of ‘em ‘ave House Elves. If I go around wearing this badge, which really is flashy by the way, it might hurt my business a little””

“You know Mundungus, it’s people like you that keep House Elves enslaved.” Mrs. Weasley said while stirring something on the stove. Harry had the impression that Mrs. Weasley was just saying this to spite Mundungus.

Mundungus ignored this comment. “I’d love to ‘Mione, but I don’t really have any money on me at the moment””

“Yes you have.” Hermione told him. “Fred and George just bought a vial of Veritaserum from you””

Shh! ” Mundungus looked around at Mrs. Weasley, who didn’t appear to have heard anything. “Alright, just don’t tell Molly ‘bout that ─ she’d never ‘prove.” He pulled out a handful of coins and pushed them hastily into Hermione’s outstretched palm.

Harry, who was sitting next to Fred and George, looked down at his plate and began to talk in a low voice. “What d’you need Veritaserum for?” he asked quietly.

“Improvement of the Sneak-o-Scope. Detects the difference between someone lying and someone doing something untrustworthy.” George responded. “Moony!” he added, and he and Fred jumped up from their chairs. They put their hands on Lupin’s shoulders and directed him to a chair in between the two twins.

“Did we tell you Harry?” Fred asked, “Lupin here is our own little Marauder.” he said, patting Lupin on the shoulder. “Never would have thought it.”

“Is he now?” Ron said with a smirk. “Did you know that Harry?” Harry grinned a fake look of shock and shook his head. Fred and George didn’t notice this and went back to talk to Lupin.

“Anyway, to make a map like that, do you need a special kind of parchment? What kind would you recommend…?” Harry smirked and listened instead to Ron talking about next year’s Quidditch captain.

* * *


Harry didn’t want to return to Hogwarts where he would be stared upon. He simply wanted to stay at Grimmauld Place until summer came, and he would be forced to go to the Dursleys’. As Hermione continually reminded him though, they still had exams.

Hermione, who had turned seventeen in September, was aloud to use magic outside of school. Ron had also become of age this year, and had been studying a book called Apparating: a Wizard’s Guild to Transportation all week.

“Dad’s getting my learners' permit today!” Ron said. “And yours, Hermione.” he added. Hermione’s head snapped up from her paper.

“H ” he is?” she sputtered.

“Yeah!”

“What’s wrong Hermione?” asked Harry.

“Well… apparating is really … dangerous. I mean, you could apparate strait into a wall, and splinching just sounds awful.” said Hermione.

“Still, Hermione, it’s really useful. Imagen just being able to appear into all of your classes“” Ron started.

“You can’t apparate in the castle grounds Ron!”

“I know, but I’m just saying ” wouldn’t it be useful if you could?” said Ron.

“But you can’t””

“Alright! Bad example!” Ron said, growing impatient, “But like in Hogsmeade ─ you could just appear into any of the shops. Or during the summer you could buy supplies when ever you need them. Or when you get out of Hogwarts─”

“Okay, I get your point!” Hermione snapped. “It’s just ” What if I’m no good? I’ll be at such a disadvantage! I hear that you can’t just read how to do it. I’m not good at things like that. Remember our flying lessons? I couldn’t even get the broom in my hand. Why would this be any different?”

“So that’s why you don’t want to learn!” Ron said triumphantly. “You’re afraid you won’t be able to do it!”

“It’s not that!” Hermione said defensively. “I just don’t want to bring everyone else down if I can’t do it!”

“Hermione,” Harry laughed, “the only way you would bring us down is by not even attempting to learn!”

Hermione bit her lip. “I know! I just … Fred and George told me that it requires the same skills as flying a broom.” she said softly.

“So you’re gonna trust Fred and George!?” Ron said loudly.

“Well, they can do it, and they looked pretty serious…”

“They always look serious! Hermione, don’t trust them over us!”

“I know ” you’re right.” Hermione sighed.

The door opened to reveal Professor Lupin. He held out is hand to show two badges with Ron and Hermione’s name. “Arthur had to leave, but he asked me to give these to you and make sure you know how to avoid anything dangerous.” he said with a slight hint of amusement. “Have you learned much about apparating?” he asked. Ron and Hermione gave a small shrug-like nod. Lupin grinned and further entered the room.

“Alright, these learners’ permits will only allow you to go about 100 meters. It’s a safety measure, but you can’t go far with it. There’s nothing I can really tell you … Just sort of let your surroundings consume you. Erm ” I guess the only thing that will help is just to concentrate on the surroundings you want to be in.” said Lupin.

“Wait, so all you have to do is think about your surroundings? Why’d we have to wait until we’re 17?” asked Harry.

“It’s more difficult than it would seem. I suppose it takes the same skills as Occlumency….” Hermione’s shoulders hunched shyly, but Professor Lupin continued, “You can only concentrate on where you wish to go. It won’t work if your emotions are distracting you.”

Harry saw Hermione take a deep breath. Both she and Ron pinned the small badges to their robes and looked back at Lupin for instructions. Lupin waved his hand in a circle, motioning for them to try.

Ron crossed his eyes in deep concentration. He looked rather like Tonks as she changed her appearance ” only nothing happened. Lupin chuckled. “It’s not easy.” he reminded them, and then left the room.

Harry suppressed a laugh as he watched Ron and Hermione. Neither of them seemed to realize how unusual they looked trying to apparate. It did not take long before Harry grew board. He had a strong desire to try himself, but new he wouldn’t be able to without the learners’ permit.

With a small yawn and a wave goodbye, Harry wandered out of the room and into the bedroom, sinking tiredly into the bed. As he did so, thoughts of what had happened couldn’t help but stroll into his mind. He hated these moments when he was forced to rethink everything he had done. The outcome was usually Harry blaming himself for everything bad that had happened. He had nearly fallen into a soft sleep, when ”

CRACK ” a muffled yell ” loud footsteps clambering above him. Harry bolted upwards and looked around the room. Everything was silent for a moment….

Crack! Harry looked up just in time to see a large figure falling towards him. He spun out of bed as the dark figure of Hermione landed clumsily on the bed with a loud, “Umph!”

Harry sprang up from the ground and dusted himself off. He extended his arm to help Hermione up from the bed, who was coughing into her sleeve.

Ron came running into the room, panting slightly but grinning. “See Hermione,” he said jokingly, “I new you could fly if you tried…” Hermione scolded, but smiled all the same.