Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The familiar Castle



September 1st finally came with a pour of rain. Harry looked out the window as he packed his things. The wind was blowing piles of leaves and twigs throughout the city of London. No matter how much he wanted to go back to Hogwarts, he wouldn’t be willing to walk through this weather to get to the train station. Ron, who also was packing, groaned.

“Why do we have to walk again? It took like 20 minutes last time.” He checked out the window for something. “And we’re going to be hauling our trunks against the wind,” he added, throwing himself onto the bed.

Harry found it most difficult to pack his Pensieve. He didn’t want to spill anything in it. What he really wanted to do was carry it with him, but it would look really odd to a passing muggle.

Hermione came in with his invisibility cloak and rapped it around the Pensieve. “Just tie it around the handle of your cart on the way to the train station. Then you can take it off when we get on the train.” Harry hadn’t thought of this. He thanked her and continued packing his things.

Most of Harry’s guard really resented the weather. Nobody wanted to walk in such a storm. Hermione and Ginny were already down stairs eating some toast prepared by Mrs. Weasley, who was complaining about the weather. “Of all the days it could rain… Harry, Ron, come on down and eat. You need your energy today.”

The door could be heard creaking open in the hall. A footstep, followed by a loud thump came ever so closer down the hall towards the kitchen. Moody appeared in the doorway, soaked with rain water. Small twigs and leaves were stuck to his robes.

“Moody! What in Merlin’s name were you doing out there?” Mrs. Weasley said in a shocked voice.

“Just checking out the weather,” Moody replied simply.

“You really needed to go outside to see what the weather was like?" Mrs. Weasley asked in an annoyed voice.

“Yep,” Moody said proudly. “Always know what you're up against. Constant vigilance!” he croaked. Mrs. Weasley rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Anyway,” Moody continued, “You lot might want to get someone to put a water repelling charm on your trunk.” he said pointing to their trunks which were all piled up on each other.

“Won’t the muggles notice if water’s just bouncing off our trunks?” Hermione asked.

Moody frowned, “Do you really think Muggles would notice such a thing?” he asked, his normal eye looking at them and the other at their trunks. Harry and Hermione nodded.

“We could put an invisibility cloak over them.” Ron said excitedly. Hermione shook her head.

“They would still see the water bouncing every where.” she said.

Harry flipped through the pages of the book Hermione had gotten him for his birthday. He came across one spell that made objects waterproof, which Moody performed perfectly on all of the trunks and the carts. A silver beam of light burst from Moody’s wand and hit the trunks with a hissing sound. A clear barrier could be seen spreading across the surface. Hermione looked pleased that her present had helped them.

“So this makes the wood not rot?” Ron asked prodding his trunk. Hermione nodded. Harry guessed that Ron would normally just have a water repelling charm on an object.

Lupin came down the stairs, his luggage dragging behind him. Moody came over and performed the charm to make it waterproof. Lupin looked confused but thanked him anyway.

“It’s a charm to make objects waterproof,” Hermione said promptly. Lupin opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it and nodded.

“Well we’d best be off,” Moody said lightly. Lupin nodded.

“Where’s Tonks?” Ginny asked, “I thought she was coming too.”

“She was but something came up at the Ministry,” Lupin replied. “It’s still really important to have someone form the Order at the Ministry of Magic. That way we’ll know what’s happing there as soon as possible,” he added.

Each of them grabbed their cart and walked outside into the rain. Harry tied the invisibility cloak containing his Pensieve around the handle and kept his hand on the knot the entire time they walked. Since he couldn’t see it, he wanted to feel it at all times.

Rain rapped against their backs as they pushed the heavy carts through London. Harry looked at the path that they took last year. That one path was the only time of freedom Sirius had all that year. He felt a large lump grow in the back of his throat.

“Harry, what’s wrong?” Ginny asked in a loud voice to be heard over the rain. Harry shook his head.

“Nothing,” he said trying to smile, “A sharp branch just hit my back.” he lied taking his loose hand and pretending to rub his back in pain. Ginny didn’t seem to buy this but nodded and pushed her cart forward into the wind. She and Hermione started talking as quietly as possible without being over heard. Harry had an annoyed look across his face. He could hear Lupin give a soft chuckle.

“What?” Harry said irritably. Lupin just shook his head.

The trip to the station was longer not only because of the rain, but because the memory of Sirius seemed to dwell in great detail. It was as though a giant black dog was trotting right next to him, snapping at near by birds and cats. He bowed his head and sighed.

Ron came over towards him and began to speak very loudly, “Why couldn’t Moody just bring our luggage like last time?” he asked. Hermione joined them.

“Because,” she started, “They already have an extremely small guard and couldn’t afford to loose another for luggage.” she said in a matter-of-factly way.

Finally the train station came into view. Ron and Ginny cheered while Hermione gave a sigh of relief. Lupin gave an exhausted grin.

They walked secretly through the column to reveal the steamy figure of the Hogwarts Express, which was filled with bustling students. Lupin seemed to turn very pail. Many people who knew him as their professor started chatting wildly as they saw him, some worriedly and others excitedly. They boarded the train and separated.

“Err… We have to go to the prefects’ carriage again.” Hermione said softly. Harry nodded as he and Ginny walked into an empty compartment.

“Harry, wait up,” said voice a from behind. Harry turned around.

“Hi Dean,” he said softly. Lupin passed them with a small wave.

“Was that Lupin?” Dean asked excitedly. Harry nodded. “Yes! Finally, a worthy Professor.” Harry grinned. Seamus came into their compartment.

“Someone told me Lupin’s back.” He and Dean started chatting happily about the lessons from their third year. Harry and Ginny sat down in a seat next to Neville.

“Hullo Harry. How’s your summer been?” he asked nervously. Harry shrugged.

“Okay I suppose. Yours?” he asked. Neville frowned.

“My gran was really mad when she found out I snuck off and broke my wand. We had to buy a new one, but she wouldn’t let me so much as hold it,” he said sadly.

“You did get it back though?” Ginny said in a concerned voice.

“'Course,” Neville said, slightly offended. He held it up and showed it to them. It was a reddish-brown color with a dark brown handle. “I’m going to try it out once we get back to Hogwarts.” he said longingly.

The trip to Hogwarts was fairly uneventful. Rain continued to pour on the windows. Ron and Hermione came into their compartment.

“So what are the prefects doing this year?” Harry asked.

“Nothing note worthy.” Hermione said simply. “Loads of talk about Lupin. Everyone but the Slytherins are thrilled. I really feel sorry for him. Even the weather looks like everything from a couple years back.” Harry looked out the window. It did look like their third year.

“Hope we don’t have double Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins.” he said.

Ginny shook her head. “Most of them are Dark Arts. You lot probably won’t have to deal with them in N.E.W.T classes.” she said in an annoyed voice. Ginny, who had not taken her O.W.L.s yet, would have to take it with the Slytherins.

The lake soon came into view. They exited the train to hear Hagrid’s rural voice. “First years this way!” He shouted through the rain. They climbed into the carriage. The threstrals trotted along the path leading to Hogwarts. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny looked at him nervously. Harry was determined to keep looking ahead of him. He didn’t want their sympathy.

The Sorting Ceremony was as usual; first years nervously sitting on the stool with the hat on their head. Lupin, Hagrid, and Dumbledore were back into their rightful chairs at the professors’ table, all which were welcomed back in Dumbledore’s speech. Hagrid and Lupin were cheered very hard on one side of the hall, but faded as it reached the Slytherins’ side.

Ron and Hermione led everyone up to the Gryffindor common room with Harry next to them. They talked about all the first years and such. Harry felt as though he was a normal teenager being back in the common room. Everyone was laughing and looking over their classes. Being placed within all this happiness gave Harry the best night sleep he had had in over a year.