Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Study of Legilimency by Rita Writer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A leather book



Winter introduced it’s self with a large blanket of snow. Harry sat under a tree, listening to the soft whisper from the wind. The lake was half frozen and gave off a radiant glow from the moon light. The magnificent clock rang far in the distance. Harry looked at it with shock; it was past curfew, and there he stood on the far end of the grounds without any means of getting back unseen. He gazed up at the Gryffindor tower. There he could see tiny spec that was his window.

Alohomora!” he hissed. Slowly the window creaked open. “Accio cloak!” he whispered. Some clear colored fabric came hurling at him. He held out his arms and caught it. He had no desire to go back to the common room. All he wanted was to sit by the lake; surrounded only by his own thoughts. He sat under a grand willow and stared down at the lake. For hours it seemed he sat there, savoring every moment. It was wonderful. He sat unbothered by anyone else within the silent, untamed grounds.

A voice behind him awoke him from this feeling. “A bit past curfew wouldn’t you say?” Harry turned around. Lupin stood stiffly before him. Harry quickly looked down at his cloak. It was still completely covering him. He stayed quiet. Lupin gave a feeble laugh. “I know your there Harry.” he said calmly. Harry lowered the cloak off his head.

“How did you…” he asked softly. Lupin gave a sly grin.

“Come now, four marauders, one map? That never would have worked.” he said holding up a peace of parchment that looked like the Marauders map on a darker peace of paper. Harry gapped at it. So Lupin too had a map. Of course! Harry thought stupidly. How else would have known Hermione was in the restricted area of the library two nights ago?

“What, might I ask, are you doing out here at eleven o’clock?” he asked.

“Erm… I lost track of time.” Harry lied.

“And yet you have the cloak.” Lupin said with his eyebrows raised. Harry looked down at the cloak. “Funny, your father used to do the same thing when he wanted to think.” It was one of thoughs few moments when Harry didn’t mind getting caught at night too much. The same occasion had happened when Dumbledore found him staring into the Mirror of Erised.

“I was looking for Severus on the map when I found a dot that was askew.” Harry thought for a moment. So Lupin could keep taps on him all day? Harry suddenly understood. He thought back to the meeting the order had. Dumbledore had said, “No more guard will be needed as long as Remus here is at Hogwarts.” So that’s what he meant. Lupin could always know if anything was wrong.

“So that’s why Dumbledore only needed one person as a guard?” he asked pointing to the map. Lupin stared for a moment then nodded. “Just so you know, it doesn’t have all the secret passageways on it.” he said.

“Oh?” Lupin asked quite curiously, “Such as what?”

“Err…” Harry said. He really didn’t want anyone to know about the Room of Requirements. “I’d rather not say… It’s sort of nice having a room no one knows about.”

Lupin chuckled. “I just need to add it to the map. Dumbledore might think you’ve snuck out if you’re not on it.” he said sincerely. Harry still looked reluctant. “And might I remind you that you are out two hours after curfew.” Harry gave in. Lupin was right; he was in no position to refuse. Harry nodded and started to walk back to the school as Lupin followed.

Harry wished he hadn’t mentioned the Room of Requirements. Now where ever he went he could be found just by looking at a map. They walked up to the 7th floor and to the segment of wall where the door stood. Harry then realized something; he didn’t require anything so the door wouldn’t appear. He finally found the door however. Harry looked at it with confusion, but then realized that he did need something; a room to prove it was there. Harry stepped inside and showed Lupin the small room.

“It’s called the Room of Requirements.” he said, “It gives you whatever you need, which right now is a room to prove it exists.” I need something to prove that it gives whatever you require Harry thought to himself. Out of no ware came a small dinner chair. Lupin stared at it.

“That’s incredible,” he said. He screwed up his eyes, concentrating hard on something. On top of the chair appeared a small flask of pumpkin juice. He picked it up and examined it from all sides. “This room is absolutely remarkable.” he muttered.

“Yeah,” Harry added, “this is where we practiced D.A. You could get as much room as you needed and all the books you’d need to learn more…” Harry’s mind began to race. He didn’t need to sneak into the library to get information on the veil! He could just come in here and find it sitting on the ground.

“Well I’ve got a job cut out for me,” Lupin said with a sigh. “It took days to add one room on the map, but one that could change shape at any time is a different story. You should get back to the common room now, and if you don’t, I’ll know.” Harry nodded and headed for the common room. Just before he exited the room he could see a small desk with a quill and bottle of ink appear beside the chair.

Harry was automatically greeted by a skeptical looking Hermione. “Harry! Where were you? We tried looking on the map, but you weren’t there!” Ron too had gotten out of his chair, but he didn’t look as shocked as Hermione.

“Sorry,” Harry said dully, “I was in the Room of Requirements. Did you know Lupin had his own map of Hogwarts?”

Ron opened his mouth but Hermione interrupted him. “You weren’t caught were you?” Harry nodded.

“Yeah, but I didn’t get into trouble. Lupin has to add the Room of Requirements to the map. Erm… I need you to meet me there before he adds it though.” he said.

Hermione looked shocked. “When will that be?” she said nervously.

“About a week or two,” Harry responded. “Tomorrow is one of the days I don’t have some sort of practice so, let’s meet then. Just be there at eight alright?” he added at the dumfounded looks. Ron shrugged and nodded. Hermione sighed heavily and went to bed.

The day seemed to go so slow knowing that he would finally know what had happened to his godfather. Hagrid seemed to be showing the class a large cage full a fairies. People were staring at them with aw, but Harry simply defocused his eyes and stared seemingly at them.

By dinner, Harry wished he hadn’t told them to be there at eight. It was much too late for Harry’s liking. But Hermione has classes after dinner he reminded himself, though he wasn’t even sure the information in the book would be new to Hermione. He had given her a chance to prove that she was telling the truth by allowing her to come.

He waited in the common room with Ron, staring at the clock. At 7:50 they met Hermione from her charms class and headed to the Room of Requirements. A room with the book that has information on the veil, Harry thought at the entrance to the room. They walked into the small room.

“Harry what are we doing here…?” Ron asked. At the end of the room was a small, leather, black book. It was dusty, and looked unused. Harry walked forward to get it but Hermione passed him. She grabbed the book and looked around at him.

“Harry…” she said shakily, “You d-don’t want this old thing do you? It doesn’t have anything useful in it. Err…” She skimmed through it quickly. “The Warlock C-convention of 1709, erm…” Harry stared angrily at her. Hermione looked up at Harry and hesitantly handed over the dusty book. He turned to the page with the book mark in it:

Abandoned Veil; this old veil was originally made for the studies of Legilimency (The reading of minds). It would be used to plant a thought into even the most stubborn of minds. This study was closed in 1973 when a death eater tied to plant the idea of helping He-who-must-not-be-named, into the testers mind.

Harry started at Hermione; “Why didn’t anyone tell me about this!” He spat “Because,” Hermione whined “The order thought you might try to use Occlumency to save Sirius!