Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Don't Look Back by annie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Warning: *Slightly* detailed death in this chapter.

[A/N: Draco is going to be very OOC in this chapter...sorry to all those who like fics which stick to JKR's characters' personality traits, but he's going to continue to grow more so. This chapter was somewhat hard to write, and although its short, it's one of my favourites so far, so...*points to review button* :) Also, allow me to add once again that this is a world in which anything can happen, so if something you don't think is logical or possible does happen, don't complain about it. And as crazy as the ships are, I enjoy writing them, and if you don't enjoy reading them then no one is forcing you to. Thank you and have a good day.]

"Ugh!" Draco exclaimed, kicking the stone wall nearest to him. With a frustrated sigh, he sat down with his back leaning against the wall. He stared out of the window across from him up at the moon, and wondered if Lily was still standing in the astronomy tower gazing at the same moon.

"Why do I have to be such a goddamn bastard," he muttered to himself. "There go all my chances with Lily. All out the door because I'm a prat who can't deal with my bloody past."

He closed his eyes, and his mind drifted back to...

"Nice day, eh?" Draco said as he strolled down a street in Muggle London with his girlfriend, Patricia. "Father finally let me out. He's been keeping me inside all summer and teaching me all this bull about dark magic. Like I care."

"That's a shame," said the petite brunette beside him who's hand he held. "I wish our parents would just understand that we don't want to turn to the dark side. Sometimes I feel like we're the only ones in the world who have to go through this."

"Yeah," Draco said quietly. "But hey, if I get to go through it with you -" he paused to lean down and kiss her lightly on the lips "- then I don't mind too much."

Patricia smiled and stepped back onto the street to let a group of tourists pass by. Draco continued to hold her hand as she did so. The look in her eyes was one of pure love and devotion. At that moment, Draco knew that he had everything he would ever want and more. And then, a crash, a screech of tires...her hand was wrenched out of his as her body flew into the air and landed against a tree on the sidewalk. Mothers screamed, children burst into tears, and Draco simply stood there, unable to register anything.

The car sped off, the driver not even bothering to come out and check on the young girl he had just hit. Anger ebbed into Draco's mind as he watched the vehicle speed away. His legs remained rooted to the ground, his body frozen in the same position. One thing was certain - Patricia needed him.

He finally forced himself to move, and ran to her limp form. Blood trickled out of the corner of her mouth, contrasting strikingly with her pale skin. Her head was in an odd position, and he knew her neck had broken. Tears sprung to his eyes as reality finally became clear.

"Draco...Draco what are you crying for?" Patricia whispered, her voice barely audible. Her eyes gazed at him with a love so powerful his heart ached. She looked so beautiful yet so sad. "I'm sorry for leaving you to..." her eyelids fluttered closed "...to go through it alone."

Draco was barely aware of the ambulance sirens as they pulled up a few feet away. People were all crowded around the two students, but in Draco's mind, it was only him and Patricia. "No...no this isn't happening," he croaked, his voice marked with grief. No answer. Nothing...


Draco's eyes shot open. His heart pounded fiercely in his chest, flooded with sadness so fresh he could nearly feel her hand as he held it in her last few moments. Her eyes...he could still see them as they begged him to forgive her. Begged him to keep her in his heart.

With a groan of distress, he buried his head in his arms. Sobs wracked his muscular frame as he wept silently. The tears would never become old or any less sorrowful. Night after night, he dreamt of it, and woke up crying. This was his weakness. It was a side of him no one knew of. It was his secret.

Hours passed and eventually, he lifted up his head. His eyes were red-rimmed, his sleeves soaked in his tears. "Thank God no one was here for that," he murmured to himself.

Standing up, he rubbed his eyes, and then walked back to the Gryffindor common room with his hands in his pockets and the wound in his heart open again.

Moments after the blonde Slytherin had left the corridor, Lily stepped out from her hiding place and into the moonlight. She was shocked at what she had just witnessed. When she had first met him, Draco hadn't seemed like the type of person to cry like that. She felt guilty for having witnessed an obviously private moment like that. Sighing, she followed his trail back to the Gryffindor common room.

Meanwhile, Remus sat in his dormitory, writing in his journal. He looked up as the door opened and Draco entered. Nodding to him, Remus looked back down and continued with his writing.

October 21, 1971

I haven't written in this thing for a while. I guess I haven't had much to write about. Well, that all changed today. Three exchange students from Scotland arrived at Hogwarts today - their names are Ginny, Draco, and Hermione. Hermione...what a beautiful name. Very fitting, because the person whom that name belongs to is equally beautiful. Yes, that's right...Remus Lupin has a crush. It's just that...she's so pretty. And smart, and funny, and sweet. I really like her. But I think she likes Sirius. Earlier tonight we were playing truth or dare, and her and Sirius kept exchanging these looks. Well, they're at Hogsmeade right now getting an acid pop. Merlin knows what they could be doing. I guess there's no way I could ever end up with her...after all, who would choose plain old me over Sirius, the most handsome boy in our year?


Sighing, he shut his diary then slid it back under his pillow. With that, he lay down and closed his eyes. The last image he saw was of Hermione's shining face as she laughed...with Sirius.