Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

An Unlikely Pair by Kyte

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"So as a special treat, to relieve ALL this TENSION that's been in the school lately, I've decided, what better way to relax then to do something as amusing as dancing?"cried Professor Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy."Yes I'm being one hundred percent serious! A dance will be held in this very hall this Friday night! Dress robes are not mandatory, as this is not a very formal occasion! So where clothes to express yourselves and have a great time!" A number of different reactions went around the crowd of students following this announcement. Most girls started giggling and staring obviously at a certain boy. Most boys looked nervous. At the end of the Gryffindor table Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley simply looked at eachother.

"How does he expect dancing will take away the fear of You-Know-Who simply bursting in on us at any moment?"sighed Hermione. Ron shook his head and Harry simply stared at his dinner plate without saying a word. He seemed to not be talking and staying silent quite a lot lately.

"That will be all for tonight! I hope you've had a wonderful meal. Now off to your beds for a nice long sleep so you're ready for your studies tomorrow morning!" The students slowly filed out. Harry, Hermione and Ron automatically turned to the marble staircase to head back to their commonroom. Hermione sighed.

"It's going to be the exact same as when we had the Yule Ball. For the next four days girls will be discussing what they'll wear, who they're going to ask."

"It might be fun, I mean you never know", said Ron hopefully. As they got about half way up the stairs they notice Cho Chang and another Ravenclaw boy talking. As the three watched the boy swooped in and kissed Cho gently on the cheek. Hermione and Ron both looked at Harry to see how he would react. He simply shrugged his shoulders and continued on up the stairs.

The next couple of days went by pretty quickly. Even though Harry, Hermione and Ron had all agreed to go to the dance, none of them asked someone else and none of them talked about it much. Friday after they all had finished their last lessons girls were hurrying to their rooms so they could start getting ready. Hermione shrugged and said, "I guess I better go too". Harry and Ron spent the time until 8:00, which is when the dance was going to start, playing Wizard Chess. Ron even tried to go a little easy on Harry, but Harry just didn't seem to be into the game.

At quarter to eight Ron and Harry heard footsteps behind them and turned around. Hermione, like two years previous, had straightened her hair, but this time let it flow loosely around her shoulders. She was wearing a light pink top and even a black skirt! Harry and Ron stared until they realised what they were doing and snapped out of it. The three of them walked down into the entrance hall. It was crowded with students. Harry noticed that a few girls had taken, "wearing clothes to express themselves" a little to seriously. They walked into the Great Hall which was decorated, as usual on special occasions, magnificently. The walls were covered in dark blue velvet, and pink and purple lights hovered everywhere in mid-air. Only a few minutes after they had walked in a very pretty girl from Hufflepuff came up and asked Ron to dance. Hermione and Harry were just as surprised as Ron. Eventually Ron accepted and they went off to dance.

"Well then....that was unexpected," said Hermione, and Harry and her both smiled, happy for their friend.

"It's really hot in here, do you want to go for a walk or something?" Harry asked Hermione. So they both walked outside and started walking around the lake. They walked in silence for a few moments. Hermione looked at Harry and realised he was staring at the ground, walking.

"Oh, come on Harry! Lighten up! It's not so bad! Just relax", said Hermione. Harry continued to stare at the ground. Hermione pulled him around so he was facing her.

"Please Harry...?" Harry looked up and his and Hermione's eyes locked. Suddenly there was a very strange sensation between the two friends and they started to lean forward. Closer and closer until finally their lips touched. Very softly for maybe a moment.

"Well, well, well", said a cold drawling voice."Never would have guessed Potty and the mudblood would hook up!" Hermione and Harry both pulled apart quickly.

"Malfoy....", said Hermione slowly.

"Does Weasle know about this? Does Weasle know that his two bestfriends are kissing in the moonlight by the lake", cried Draco.

"Shut up Malfoy", said Harry angrily.

"You better watch your mouth Potter or Weasley might be in for the surprise of his life."

"You wouldn't...", said Hermione.

"You know normally I would", said Draco. "But luckily for you I'm feeling nice today!" Harry laughed. He doubted if Malfoy had ever been nice in his life.

"And", said Draco loudly. "I think I have a way for you two, or more specifically, Granger, to pay me for not telling Weasley on you two!" Hermione looked confused but nodded.

"Well as you two may or may not know", started Draco."Myself and Pansy have been going out for awhile now. But times change and you start to realise what idiots there are in the world, and how annoying girls can be. So, what I need to know from you, is how to ditch her, without me actually having to do the ditching. I'd just feel HORRIBLE if I had to be the one." Hermione looked at him in surprise.

"Well...er...", said Hermione slowly."I guess the one thing that makes girls mad about guys is if they're cheating on her."

"So what your saying is I need Pansy to see me cheating on her with another girl", said Draco."That's good.... yes... very good... now I just need another girl so she can walk in on me cheating on her!" He slowly turned around to look at Hermione.

"Finally, a use for a worthless mudblood! So when shall Pansy walk in on the two of us?"

"Excuse me? Nuh uh, no way", disagreed Hermione.

"Fine. Your friendship will be ruined then." Hermione sighed and, without looking at Harry, said," Fine. But once and only once."

"Deal."