Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

An Unlikely Pair by Kyte

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"It's all my fault Ron!" Hermione cried. "I never should have fallen for him. It's just messed everything up!"

"Hermione," Ron said slowly. "You didn't do anything wrong. Harry just did a really stupid thing."

"Ron," Hermione said. "How's your girlfriend? Um... Sophie?" Ron looked down.

"We uh broke up yesterday," Ron said. "She kept getting mad that I was spending all this time with you and Harry. I explained to her what was going on but she didn't want to hear it."

"Aw Ron," Hermione said.

"Women eh?" Hermione smiled, for the first time in a while.

* * * *

"Guys, come here, I think I found something." Professor Dumbledore, Remus and Tonks all hurried over. Remus slid his fingers under the trap door too and helped Harry pull it open. The small room had only one small candle burning. It appeared to be empty. Remus lowered himself in, and the three others did the same.

"Lumos," muttered Dumbledore. He lifted his wand over his head so you could see in the corners. Draco was there. Tied to a chair, by legs and arms. He lifted his head slowly and nodded to them.

"I hope you aren't filthy Mudbloods," Draco said. "I am a pure-blood." Draco's eyes weren't completely focused. He looked like he was gazing off in space. Harry looked at Professor Dumbledore. Professor Dumbledore sighed.

"Like I expected. Lucius has him under the Imperius Curse." Suddenly Draco sat bolt upright. He seemed completely surprised to see them all there.

"Pr...Professor Dumbledore... Professor Lupin... Potter... I mean, Harry. What are you doing in my house?" Draco's eyed Tonks, obviously not knowing who she was.

"Draco," Harry looked relieved. "Good we'll take you back to Hogwarts and Hermione will be happy and-"

"Hermione," Draco whispered. "Is she okay?" Harry shook his head.

"She's a wreck. You need to come back, Malfoy."

"Mr. Malfoy," Dumbledore said. "You realised what your father is doing is against so many laws, not to mention he's broken out of the wizarding jail. I can't believe he had the nerve just to walk back in to his own house." Suddenly Draco's eyes became unfocused again.

"Filthy Mudbloods... pure bloods.... stupid, filthy, disgusting Mudbloods..."

"Draco!" Harry yelled. "Come on!"

"Harry," Remus said. "There's nothing we can do. Keep your voice down." Draco jumped slightly again like someone had pinched him.

"Tell... tell Hermione... I can't go back. I need to hold up my family’s name. I can't do this to my dad…"

"Yes, you can!" said Professor Dumbledore. "You have a choice! Come back with us to Hogwarts. We'll keep you safe from-"

"I can't!" screamed Draco. "I just can't... my father, he would... I don't want to know what he would do." Dumbledore bent down so he was eye level with Draco.

"Do you want to grow up to be a Death Eater and worship the Dark Lord?" Harry thought he saw tears in Draco's eyes.

"No... I mean yes! I do! My whole family... they're counting on me... I have to..." Draco paused. "I need to say good-bye to Hermione. I'll convince my father I love You-Know-Who... then I'll go back to Hogwarts and tell Hermione... tell her what I need to… then.."

"Stay with us and escape from your father?" said Harry.

"No. I'm sorry. I can't. Now leave... before I... before I call my mom to get you." Harry definitely saw a tear falling down Draco's face.

"We're always here, Draco," Professor Dumbledore said. Harry opened his mouth but Remus put his hands on Harry’s shoulders and steered him towards the opening of the trap door. Harry took one last look at Draco before they left. His eyes had become glazed again.