Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

An Unlikely Pair by Kyte

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hermione lay quietly in her bed, thinking about her day. She sighed. Why did life have to be so confusing? Harry hadn't said more than two words to her since she had made the deal with Draco. Why did I give in so quickly? Hermione thought. I know why, she realised. She didn't want to think about it. It hurt, though she didn't know why. But she couldn't stop it. The memory came pouring in.

It had been in their third year when Harry and Ron were upset with her about the whole Firebolt thing. While they were fighting Hermione mostly hung out with either by herself or with Ginny. It had been before Potions, when she had arrived early, and so apparently had Malfoy and his two cronies. They had heard from someone about the fight the trio were having and of course was bugging her about it. Mudblood comments were slipping in and out. But Hermione, as usual, had ignored it. It wasn't until Malfoy let slip something horrible about her parents. It was horrible even for him to say. Hermione turned around about to tell them off, maybe more, she would never know when Professor Snape and the rest of the class turned around the corner. Later that day when Hermione was sitting by herself outside, leaning against a tree finishing her homework, the sun setting, she heard a rustle behind her. She turned around to see Draco emerging from a bunch of bushes. She could remember how the coldness of the night was stinging her skin, but how beautiful the sunset looked. She could remember clearly her eyes locking with Draco's and them simply standing there for a few moments.

"Look Granger...,"Draco started.

"I don't want to see you,"Hermione said, turning her back."Leave me alone."

"God Granger, for one second if you could just keep your huge mouth shut." Hermione tried not to let Draco see the tears welling up in her eyes. She bit her lip. She would not let him have the satisfaction of knowing he had gotten to her.

"Are you possibly Malfoy trying to apologize to me?"

"Of course not Granger, am I the kind of person that would do that sort of thing?" Hermione made herself turn and look at him. It was the smile she had seen before. It wasn't his usual sneer he had. It was almost human. Even without saying it in words, deep down, Hermione knew. He was sorry. He smiled a small smile and turned and left.

"Bye Draco,"Hermione had quietly whispered to herself.

The memory of that night faded and reality came back. The coolness of her sheets on her bed. She realised then, that was why she had given in without a fight. Because that night, she had seen probably what no one else had seen before.