Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

An Unlikely Pair by Kyte

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hermione woke the next morning, trying to shove the memory that she thought of lastnight out of her head. She still didn't know why it bugged her so much. "It's Malfoy,"she told herself. Why should I give him a second thought." But she kept having this empty feeling in her stomach. Like everything had been sucked out of it.

She struggled through her morning classes. She had Herbology today, which was usually fun as Ron was in her class. She tried desperately to listen to him tell her what he and his now knew girlfriend, had talked about lastnight. She kept looking past Ron to the open window behind him. She needed, she realised, complete silence, so she could gather her thoughts and sort them out.

"Hey,"said Harry as he caught up with them in the Great Hall. Harry and Ron immidiately started talking about a recent Quidditch match between England and Wales.

"What's wrong Hermione?"Ron asked her. "You've barely said anything all day." Hermione tried to avoid Harry's eyes but eventually had to look. He was staring right at her. Harry wasn't stupid, Hermione thought. He knows it's something to do with Malfoy.

"Nothing, I'm fine." Hermione said putting on a fake smile, that both Harry and Ron saw through.

That evening Hermione declared that she felt like going for a walk. She walked out of the portrait hole.

"Something's up with her, I know it." said Ron. He stared straight at Harry. Harry seriously considered telling him the whole story.

"I know, I have no idea what it is," said Harry.

Hermione continued across the Great Hall and out the front doors. The sky was dark, covered with clouds promising rain. She walked towards the lake. At first she wanted to walk around the lake, but then decided against it. She pushed herself through some bushes, and sat down, her back resting on a small tree. The bushes almost completely hid her. She closed her eyes. What was wrong with her, she thought desperately.

Snap.

The sound of a snapping twig, broke through the silent night air like a gun shot. Hermione started and turned around. Moonlight glistening off his white blond hair, dressed in his black robes stood Malfoy. They stared at eachother for a few moments until Hermione said,"Have you been following me?"

"Is it such a crime to want to go outside for a walk, and to see that someone else has had the same idea, and to also see that she was heading for the lake, and just decided to go in the same direction?" Hermione shook her head.

"Go away, I want to be by myself." Draco completely ignored this comment and sat down next to her.

"Wish it was a nicer night," he said.

"What are you doing Draco? What are you doing here?"Hermione cried.

"To tell you the truth Hermione,"he emphazised her name. She realised, she had, for the first time, called him by his first name. "Really truly,"he continued. "I have absolutely know idea." Hermione couldn't help it. She smiled, but quickly turned away.

"Pansy dumped me, by the way. You're plan worked."

There was a long silence. Both of them stared out to the lake. Eventually she turned to look at him. He turned as well. They stared into eachothers eyes, until Draco slowly started to move forward. Closer and closer until, as before he gently brushed his lips against hers. His lips were soft and warm, Hermione noted. As soon as this thought entered into her mind she pulled away.

"God Draco! You insult me and just magically think everything's fine." She realised dully that it had started to rain slightly. "You spend 5 years tormenting me and my friends and all of a sudden you have an interest in being with me!?" Her eyes filled until she couldn't keep them in any longer. The tears slowly fell down her face, mingling with the rain.

"You don't think I've been confused?! I spent my whole life growing up, being taught to think I was superior to muggles, half bloods, anyone with an inch of muggle blood in them. I spent the whole summer dealing with You-Know-Who, my dad being in jail, Death Eaters walking in and out of my house at everytime of day and night! Then suddenly, I realise I have feelings for one of my enemies! My dad's leader's arch enemy's friend! You don'y realise what I'm trying to deal with." Draco stopped and took a breath. The rain was now fully coming down.

"What did you say?"Hermione whispered silently. There was a clap of thunder.

"What do you mean what did I say,"but he said it in a slightly softer tone.

"When... when you said you had feelings for me." Draco turned his head so he wasn't facing her.

"I don't want to talk about it ok?" Hermione slowly pulled her hand up to put it on his cheek. She gently pulled his head so he was facing her. She didn't know what was possesing her to do this. She slowly leaned in and kissed him gently on the lips. First gently, then harder. They could hear thunder, and the rain intensified. It was pouring on them. If felt like they had just jumped out of a swimming pool. But they didn't seem to notice. It seemed, at that moment, they didn't care about anything else in the world.