Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

An Unlikely Pair by Kyte

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Never in any point in Hermione's life had she felt this much pain. Not when she had tried to get past the Whomping Willow with Harry, not when she had fought Voldemort last term. Not even when she had been paralyzed and had woken up to all her bones hurting. Someone had told Professor McGonagall that Hermione hadn't returned to her bed that night. They had started to get worried. Started searching then finally found her with dry blood on her cheek, wear Lucius had striken her. Her cheeks were tear-stained. She had cried herself into a sleep. Professor Dumbledore, who had found her lead her up to the common room where she lay down trying to tell them what happened, but found she couldn't. Everytime she tried to think of the previous night her chest seemed to rip open and her stomach wiggled around uncomfortably. She couldn't take it.

They decided to let her be until she could tell him. She didn't leave the hospital wing. She didn't want to see Harry and Ron. The day she was found she lay in the bed all day falling in and out of sleep. Finally that night Hermione heard a light knock on the hospital wing door.

"Ms. Granger may I come in for a few moments?"It was Professor Dumbledore.

"Yes sure, I guess,"Hermione said. He walked across the room to Hermione's bed. Hermione was the only one currently in the beds. Hermione was glad of that. Professor Dumbledore stared into her eyes for a few moments.

"You know you're eventually have to tell me what happened." Hermione turned so she didn't have to look into his eyes.

"I know,"she whispered. She took a deep breath. "Have you noticed anyone else missing lately?" She couldn't keep it in. Silent tears started to flow down her face. Dumbledore surveyed her.

"Mr. Malfoy,"he said calmy. Hermione sobbed.

"We were walking by the forest and..." she took another breath."And his dad just turned up. He came out of the forest. And he took D...Draco with him." She was now openly crying. Tears flowing down, sobbing, gasping for breath. Dumbledore patted her back.

"I'll leave you alone for awhile,"he said. Hermione nodded. As soon as he left she buried her face in her pillow. She couldn't stand it. She was never going to see him again she kept thinking.

The next day, the small cuts on her face healed, she went back to her normal classes. But she mine as well not of. It was impossible for her to listen. It was like there was something blocking her hearing. Or maybe I just don't want to here, she thought. Maybe all I want to hear or see is Draco's voice. No, I can't think about him, she told herself. He's gone. I need to accept it.

Harry and Ron had been filled in by Dumbledore. For one horrible day they didn't know what was going on. They knew Hermione was in the hospital wing. They had spent the whole day dreading what may have happened. Once Dumbledore found out he told Harry and Ron. Ron's mouth dropped open at the part of Draco's name. Harry, on the other hand, had suspected it. He filled Ron in on everything he knew. Even the part where he and Hermione had kissed. He had to know it wasn't fair to him.

"Draco? Are you kidding me? Draco Malfoy? The same guy that tormented us?"

Harry sighed. "She must have seen something in him."

"Or he has her brainwashed." Harry rolled his eyes.

"I don't think so. She seems really upset. I don't think we should mention him until everything is sorted out and we find out what happened to him." Ron sighed.

"Whatever." Harry and Ron ate with Hermione, tried to start conversations. Nothing worked. She was a wreck. After she had blocked yet another conversation, Ron lost it.

"God Hermione it's just Draco! The same one that's called you mudblood and tortured us since we were 11?" Hermione stared at Ron. It looked as if she was going to cry. But all of a sudden a new emotion took over her face.

She jumped off the bench of the Great Hall and stood up, staring at him.

"Keep your mouth shut Ron! You weren't there you haven't seen him! He doesn't want to be like his dad! So just shut up!" She turned on her heal and ran out the Great Hall doors. Alot of people were staring, including, Harry noticed, Dumbledore.

Ron sat there in shock. This can't be happening, thought Harry. I have to do something. We can't lose friendships over Draco and Hermione can't be miserable her whole life. I have to do something.

Have to do something.... have to do something...The words raced through Harry's brain all night. Have to do something.