Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

An Unlikely Pair by Kyte

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry had a huge headache when he woke up the next morning at six. He hadn't slept very much. Sort of drifted in and out of dreams. He knew what he had to do though. It was a crazy idea, he knew it, but he had to. For Hermione.


He got dressed quickly. He found the small red gold back pack Hermione had given to him for his birthday. He quickly packed a few shorts and his two pairs of jeans. He was about to leave when he realised, if he just vanished, people would worry. He quickly wrote a note to Ron. It read:
Ron,
Don't worry. I had to go do something. I won't be near Hogwarts so don't search or anything. I'll be back soon. Hopefully.
Harry

Good enough, Harry thought. he picked up his backpack, placed the note on Ron's bedside table and left the room.

He didn't meet anyone in the halls except for Mrs. Norris. When they met, Harry quickly ran past her, knowing there wouldn't be many excuses to why he was wandering in the halls at six in the morning. He continued into the Great Hall where he pushed open the door. The morning air stung his face. It was very cold and damp. He ran across the grounds, that still had traces of snow on them from Christmas. He ran right into Hogsmeade.

He looked down the long street. Noone in sight. Harry was stumped. He needed to find someone. Just then someone, a woman, walked out of one of the frosted houses. Harry flatened down his fringe. He ran up to her.

"Excuse me Miss?" The woman turned around and stared at him.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you could tell me when the next train out of the Hogsmeade station is?" She gave him a strange look but told him it was at 6:30. He thanked her then set off at a sprint.

He just made it in time. He quickly shoved some silver sickles into the engineers hand and climbed aboard before anyone could ask any questions. He quickly found a free compartment and sat down. He sighed. He started to have second thoughts about what he was about to do.

* * * *


"What do you mean he isn't there?!" cried Hermione. "Where is he?!"

"Hermione look I have no idea he just left me this note,"said Ron. Hermione snatched it from his hands and read it.

"Oh my god.... oh my god... no! It's not safe for him to be just anywhere right now!" Hermione then lost it. She started to sob and just sunk into a chair. She put her head in her hands. Ron awkwardly patted her back. He was never comfortable with crying girls.

"Just... what could he be doing?" Ron looked at her sympathetically.

"Well he was pretty upset about you being upset about Malfoy." Hermione looked at Ron in horror.

"Harry wouldn't.... he wouldn't go looking for Draco would he?" Ron tried to say no, but couldn't lie to her when she was like this. She sobbed.

"We need to tell Dumbledore." Ron reluctantly nodded his head.

"Ok."

* * * *

The train ride seemed alot shorter then Harry remembered. He gathered his back pack and stepped out of the train. He had eaten lunch on the train, so he was very full. He walked through the wall, exited the train station and stood on the side walk. He suddenly had a feeling of freedom. Right now, if he wanted to he could go wherever he wanted. But he didn't want to go wherever.

He knew what he had to do. He walked into the back alley of the train station, took his wand out from his back pack and thrusted it out.

He only had to wait a few moments for a violently purple bus to appear at the end of the alleyway. It zoomed down the alley to where Harry was waiting and screeched to a stop. The door flew open and Stan jumped out.

"Welcome to the Knight- Neville! I mean 'Arry! Nice to see you mate! Whatchu doin not in school?"

"Stan!" barked a voice from the inside of the bus. "Stop asking questions! We have places to go!" Harry looked surprised. That wasn't Ernie, the usual bus driver. Harry climed aboard and looked at the stranger. He was pretty young. In about his thirties. He was wearing a purple robe.

"Where's Ernie?" asked Harry. Stan bowed his head.

"You-Know-Who got 'im,"said Stan. Harry felt horrible. Just another inoccent life taken. Harry shoved the correct change into Stan's hand and took a seat in the back of the bus.

"Where to Neville?" Harry sighed. No point in correcting him.

"The Malfoy Manor." Stan and the new driver both turned around and gave him a strange look.

"Do you... not know where it is?" Harry himself didn't know the exact location. He knew it was in a small village that only wizards and witches could see, but nothing more.

"Know where it is,,, just...." said the driver. He turned around and stepped on the gas peddal. Harry looked out the window so he didn't have to look at Stan's curious face.

There was five other people that had to get off before him. Finally the Knight Bus came to a stop.

"Here you are Mr. Potter,"said the bus driver. "We hope you enjoyed your ride." Harry quickly went down the steps and onto the grey sidewalk. The Knight Bus vanished and Harry turned around. Infront of him, lay one of the largest houses he'd ever seen. He really didn't feel so sure of himself now.