Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dragons and the Night by sagirah

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2

(Flash back to first Year. Diagon Alley)

“Draco I’m growing tired of this,” she hissed, her toe tapping impatiently on the cobblestone street, “how much more do you need to buy?”

With a raised eyebrow Draco gave his mother a bored look, “My robes, wand, and owl.”

His mother answered his expression with a reserved sour of her own, “In that case, I’m going ahead to Ollivanders…You go get your robes made.”

“Yes mother,” he added with a hint of sarcasm that was lost on her.

*******

As Draco walked out of Madame Malkins, his thoughts rested on the boy he had just met. He had looked so familiar…anyways…the boy was bound to be someone he detested if he hung around with filth like Hagrid. Draco had reached Ollivanders, and was staring up at its crumbling face.

As he stepped into the doorway he collided with a considerably large house-elf. He stared down at with a haughty expression clouding his face, “Excuse-you. You might want to watch where you’re going.”

“Hey! You’re the one who knocked me down!” she snapped.

Odd. She wasn’t a house-elf after all. Her voice wasn’t high and squeaky, but rather spiced and scorched. Her hair fell in long midnight curls; her copper skin glimmered. She must be a veela!

As she pushed back her locks behind her curiously pointed ears, Draco noticed her freshly manicured hands. Not only that, but she fashioned a fine lustrous silk robe. Obviously the girl was wealthy. She glared up at him with piercing green cat eyes. Her lips curled into the sort of pout most girls envied.

“S-sorry,” he apologized offering his hand.

She grasped it tightly as he pulled her up off the floor. “Thank you,” she snarled, gathering up her packages and marched out the door.

“Draco, how clumsy you are!” Narcissa scolded, “That was the Eslamis’ daughter…quite a pretty creature though, isn’t she?” Draco muttered vague agreement. His mind was somewhat numb at the moment.

*****

Following his father into Magical Menagerie, Draco asked his father about the Eslamis.

“Where do they live?”

“They have many estates…mostly in Egypt and Saudi Arabia.”

“They don’t live in England?” Draco asked crestfallen.

“Weren’t you listening? How many times do I have to repeat myself? I said they have several estates. So yes…they do live in England.”

“I was their daughter today. She’s my age I think.”

“The Eslamis don’t have a daughter,” he said dismissively, “Now. I’m leaving you here. Pick out your owl and I will come to fetch you in half an hour.”

“Where are you going father?”

“I don’t believe that’s any of your concern,” he said coldly.


As Lucius strode out the veela girl rushed in, “Have you seen Madame Domitor?”

“You!” he yelped.

“Yes me,” she replied vaguely; barely paying him notice, “Where did you say she was?”

“I didn’t. I dunno. I was kind of wondering myself.”

“Oh all right,” she sighed as though it was his fault.

They both stood silently. Draco staring at her and she drumming her fingers upon the counter. “Are you a veela,” he burst suddenly.

“Does it look like I sprout wings and talons?” she barked knowing perfectly well what he meant. “Sorry,” she added slightly ashamed, “No.”

“I just meant you looked nice,” he muttered his cheeks pink.

The girl smiled at this. Flattery after all worked surprisingly well on her, “My name’s Laila. Yours?”

“Draco…Malfoy.” He had expected her nose to wrinkle or at least her eyes to widen at the name, but she merely thought a moment then nodded.

“Really? My parents have visited your house”“

“Manor,” he corrected.

“Yes…manor...sorry….Like I was saying. My parents visited your manor once. They seem to always enjoy your visits.”

“I wouldn’t know. I’m not allowed to attend.”


Madame Domitor appeared, “Laila, I’m glad you’re here. Would you mind showing our customer around? An owl dear?” she asked looking down kindly. Draco nodded. “I figured. I need to go to Gringots.” She began addressing Draco, “Laila has been helping for several years now. Goodness, she must know just as much as me. Maybe more in the dragon area. But yes…she’ll help you find your owl. She has a knack for finding the perfect pet. I’ll be off now.”


Laila grinned, “You want a large owl don’t you?”

Draco nodded slowly, unsure of how she knew.

“Hmm,” she looked up at various owls while strolling through the aisles, “Found him. Yeah, you wanted a he, so here we go.” She handed him the cage in which a great eagle owl was perched. “Let’s sit down. My feet are tired.”

Draco hesitated then sat down gingerly. He noticed Laila’s feet were small even for her and wore heels. He had never known girls his age to wear heels. She flopped down, “Don’t worry…Madame Domitor keeps the floors really clean.”

“Do you work here?”

Nah. I just help. I like animals a lot. But you probably figured that out already.”

“Why did she say you know more about dragons?”

“Oh. Because my brother works with them in Romania. He teaches me all about them.”

“I like dragons. My father”“


“Get up you filthy little brat?” whispered Lucius as he pulled Draco up off the floor.

“I was just”“

“You wait till you get home. I’ll sort you out there. Just you--”


“Good day Mr. Malfoy.” Cut in a deep voice. Laila felt herself being picked up.

“And you are?” inquired Lucius.

“Arash Eslami. And this would be my sister, Laila.”

“Ah. I see. The famed Arash. Though I had no idea you had a sister? The only other I presume?” he asked eyes glittering in Laila’s direction.

“Yes.”

“Well I would have liked to stay and talk but it seems I have business at home today. Do excuse me.”

“Of course,” he said inclining his head.

“Come Draco,” though there was no real need as he was clasping Draco’s arm; steering him out the door.

“Wait…your owl.” Laila yelled but they kept going. “What did I do?” she asked up at her brother.

“Nothing,” he answered gravely.