Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Best Years by Dan_D_Lion

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
:Disclaimer: Please don't sue me. I do not own anything of Harry Potter. *tear* Must you remind me each time? *Runs out of the room, sobbing*
__________________________________________________________________

James sighed and ruffled his hair. He was sitting on the Hogwarts Express, looking out the window. The hills were rolling while the sky looked its gloomiest. James knew that this was going to be his last time looking at this scene. After all, it was his seventh year, the last year for all of Hogwarts students of his year. He was going to really miss this school; it has grown into his second home. He smiled a little, deciding that this year was going to be at its best.

“Prongs?”

James turned away from the window to Sirius Black. Sirius has been his best friend or brother, since his first year at Hogwarts, remembering the time the both got kicked out of Madame Malkin’s Robes for all Occasions. He was the major heartthrob of the group, having straight black hair that casually floated over his grey eyes. He also was a pain in the ass to James sometimes, but that was just how they were to each other.

“Well? How?” Sirius looked at James funnily.

“Err…” James looked around for clues on what Sirius was talking about. Remus was another one of his close friends who was actually the mellow one in the whole group. He was also one of the reasons why they had so much fun on certain nights. Remus was a werewolf, meaning that James, Sirius and Peter would go out into the night and transform into there animal forms, giving Remus some sort of strange company. Peter was the oddball; he just didn’t seem to fit the category of the bunch. He wasn’t really that smart nor was he that great looking. Though, somehow, he was just as a good friend.

Sirius rolled his eyes, “You weren’t listening weren’t you?”

James nodded, smiling as Sirius flushed a little with annoyance.

“I said how on earth did you get to be the Head Boy? I mean, you of all people,” Sirius pointed at the red and gold badge on James chest. James looked down at it, his smile growing larger at each second.

“Why? You jealous?” James teased.

Sirius laughed, “And have to walk down the corridors each night, looking for some little brat wandering around?”

“Hey, that little brat could be you, Sirius,” James poked. Sirius punched him in the arm.

James laughed and looked down at his watch. It was… 11:40! James jumped up and slipped his arms through the sleeves of his robes. He was supposed to be at the Head car ten minutes ago!

“Hey, where you going Prongs?” Sirius asked as James stepped out of the compartment.

“I was supposed to be at the Head car earlier!” James exclaimed.

Sirius snorted, “Since when did you care about being on time.”

James didn’t answer, leaving his friends behind in a run. On the way there, he had to stop once because he accidentally crashed into some kid that had popped out of a compartment. Finally, he had arrived at the compartment and slid open the door.

- - -


Lily looked up from her book as she heard the compartment door slide open. About time too, since they couldn’t start the meeting until the missing Head Boy was there. A tall boy with messy black and warm hazel eyes walked into the room. Lily gasped in surprise, there had to be a mistake. Maybe he walked into the wrong room. But there was no mistake when he sat down, not having noticed Lily yet, across from her she could see the badge. Lily squinted her eyes and read the name engraved in it. James Potter. Lily felt her shoulders droop knowing that she was going to have a long year.

“Evans! Pleasure meeting you here,” James reached his hand over to shake hers. Lily saw his eyes sparkling; Lily looked down at her book in disgust. She knew that James would sooner or later be making a ‘move’ on her. He never seemed to give up. Lily had no idea why he liked her. It seemed at first as if was just her turn to be the lucky one to be his pick of the choice, but Lily turned him down. She did not want to fall into the category of being heartbroken over James. Ever since, James has had his eyes on her, asking her out all the time.

“Ahem,” Lily looked up again from her book. James still had his arm out but pulled it back, shrugging with a smile on his face. “Now that we all are here, I think it is time we get this started so you can go back.”

Lily closed her book and pulled out a sheaf of paper along with a quill. James pulled out his wand and made paper appear but no quill. Lily frowned as James smiled at Lily.

“First of all, I would like to congratulate you all for becoming Head Boy or Girl. It’s an extreme privilege on being chosen one and I hope you all will take this seriously,” McGonagall said looking at James, “Now, you are to every night, from eight till ten, walk around the corridors, checking for any student out of bed. If you are to find any, get them immediately, assign a detention and send them straight off to bed. No favoritism,” she looked once more at James, “If I find out that you have let your friends off easily word will go to Dumbledore.”

James stiffened his arm and brought it to his head, “You don’t have to worry, M’am. I won’t let you down.” James roughly put it down. Lily rolled her eyes.

“I hope so James,” McGonagall said as she passed out little slip, “This is the password to the Gryffindors common room. You are in charge of telling the prefects and the one underneath is the password to the Head Boy and Girl’s room. After those, you are subject to change them whenever. Not too frequently though, just enough so we don’t have to worry of any mishaps.” McGonagall nodded and she left the room. Lily made to pack up her notes and stood up. Before leaving, Lily turned around.

“Congratulations on becoming Head Boy, Potter,” Lily said curtly.

James raised an eyebrow, “Thanks Evans, it will be an adventure working with you at the late of night.” James wiggled his brows.

Lily growled, “This is why I hate you Potter. You think you are so great when all you are is just a great bigheaded jerk. I think it’s about time you’ve grown up.” Lily left the room, leaving James with his jaw open.

- - -


“Padfoot! Let go of me!” James yelled in Sirius’ arms.

They were inside a carriage; just the four of them and Sirius had grabbed James head in a headlock. James pulled out his wand and jabbed it at Sirius stomach and soon Sirius let go, protesting. Though, instead of words and sound, blue and green bubbles floated out of his mouth. Peter watched the bubbles interested as Sirius continued trying to talk. James started laughing, as Sirius face grew red with anger. Sirius jumped James and pushed him against the door and blew bubbles in his face, each popping softly.

“Argh! You making my glasses all wet,” James tried to push Sirius off, “And dang Padfoot, brush your teeth some time!”

Sirius pushed him again and the door flew open as James flew out. He landed with an ‘oof’ and sat up as he rubbed his head. James looked at the carriage, cursing and saw Sirius head poke out, laughing his head off, bubbles floating everywhere. Peter’s head fitted its way in front of Sirius but was soon pushed back in as Sirius tried to yell at him. Remus looked out.

“You alright James?” Remus asked, his voice getting softer because the carriage kept on moving.

James stood up, “Yea, I’m just fine Remus.” He started sprinting and soon he was at the door. He tried to get in but every time he made to grab the door, it would be too far. He made one last grab and instead of him grabbing the door, hands grabbed his and pulled him in.

James stood up and sat down next to Sirius, “You idiot!” He punched his arm. Sirius only laughed, blue bubbles still coming out steadily. Sirius stopped laughing, and pointed at his mouth, obviously wanting James to stop the hex. James only smirked. He was rather fond of the new quiet Sirius.

- - -


“Well, see you tomorrow Lily!” Marriet called as Lily turned the corner.

“See you!” Lily was headed towards the Head Boy and Girl’s room. She was rather excited to have her own room and bathroom. She stopped in front of a portrait that was a painting of a lake with a phoenix flying over. Lily admired it a few minutes before snapping out of her reverie.

“Frazleburst,” She said and the portrait slid to the left. She walked through the tunnel and sighed at the beauty that lay ahead of her.

The common room was a rich red with lovely paintings all over the wall. There were two windows that showed the lovely lake that lay beyond them. In between the windows were a large fireplace and a couch that looked cozy to sleep on. On both sides of the room there was a door, each with a marking on the door. Lily walked up to one of the door and saw that it read James. It was a scratchy looking handwriting and the door looked like oak. She walked to the opposite door and it read Lily. Hers was elegant, just like her handwriting. Just when she was going to open her door, she heard a soft snore and jumped in surprise.

She walked over to the couch and saw what was laying down on it. James was asleep on the couch, his glasses askew and one arm hanging off of the bed. Lily frowned when she saw a fresh cut on his head, a bruise forming but quickly realized that he and Sirius must have been joking around again. Lily wondered why he didn’t just go to his bed but decided to just leave him alone for the night. She walked to her door and as soon as her hand touched the doorknob, yelped as her hand was shocked.

- - -


James awoke with a start. He pulled out his wand and lay still for a moment before jumping off the couch. He looked around wildly, not being able to make out anything since his glasses had fallen off when he jumped. He went down to the floor and began searching with his hands.

“Where the bloody hell could it have gone?” James muttered.

James stopped breathing when he heard deep breathing. He gripped his wand and stood up, slowly feeling his way as he walked his way around the couch.

“Who’s there? Padfoot?” James asked aloud. He kept on walking when he tripped over something falling straight to the ground hitting his head yet again on the floor.

“Oh my gosh, James. I’m so sorry,” James felt someone sit him up and he squinted his eyes trying to figure out who that person was. All he could see was some different colors of red and black. The person walked away for a moment and was soon at his side putting his glasses in his hands.

“Thanks,” he said as he slid them on and watching the room come into focus. It was Lily who was in this room with him. He let out a breath that he had not realized he had been holding. He thought it was someone else, he wasn’t quite sure why, though.

“I was going to leave you asleep on the couch and go to my room but I got shocked instead,” Lily said.

James raised his eyebrows, “Surely you, of all people would have read the paper by the portrait outside?” Lily looked at James confused.

James sighed, “Well, you wouldn’t have gotten shocked it you weren’t in no rush. It said that in order to go to your room you had to make a password together. I don’t know why but rules are rules.”

“Since when did you care about rules?” Lily asked before she could stop herself. Instead of frowning, James laughed.

James stood up, rubbing his head, “Well, I guess we should make the password so we can go to bed.” He stretched and sat down on the couch, looking back at Lily. Lily sighed and sat down on the other end of the couch. James smiled grew larger.

“Ok, my password will be… Madame Malkin’s,” James stated clearly, “And yours will be?”

Lily frowned, “Oh no, I am not falling for your trick. There is no way I am telling you.” She gave a satisfied smile to James. James smile fell off his face. He then laid down on the couch, his feet barely touching Lily. Lily stood up quickly.

“Fine, then I guess we’ll just have to slumber out here. Together,” James smirked as he saw Lily’s face. He scooted over, patting a space next to him.

“F-fine, my password is Snifflers,” her face flushing. With that, she turned to her door, and hesitantly touched the doorknob, after saying her password and walked in. James just smiled to himself as he stood up and walk to his door.

“Yep, this is going to be my year at its best.”

((A/N: Please review!
Coming up: Life! Death! A threat! This can only be the work of... Oops, almost let it slip!))