Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lullaby by MysticFay

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
*~Lullaby~*

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter universe or the characters that reside in it. They are the property of J.K. Rowling. I am just a fan who writes stories for my own amusement.

A/N: This story and lullaby, however, was my own invention. Please do not use it without my permission.


Alice Longbottom was sprawled across the floor near the brick fireplace. A golden ring glimmered in the firelight next to her engagement ring. Her light, brown hair was untidily pulled back.

It was the night of Frank and Alice’s anniversary. It had been two years since she had married Frank. Two years... It was hard for her to believe.

Frank and Alice had toiled together to make a seemingly hopeless marriage work. They had made a rash decision during their Hogwarts years to get married as soon as they had graduated. Lily Potter, her best friend, had been shocked to hear the news of their marriage, and it had only been the day after graduation. Alice smiled slightly; she just seemed to be along for the ride ever since as her life took so many unexpected turns.

She and Frank had made it work for two years. Tonight was the night that they were supposed to be celebrating together, but it was just the fire and her while little Neville slept peacefully in his crib. Frank worked as an Auror at the Ministry of Magic, but he had been working late ever since Lord Voldemort and his followers had been set loose upon the world.

Alice had once worked at the Ministry of Magic as an Auror alongside with her husband, but she had made a decision to give up her job and to become a member of Albus Dumbledore’s Order of the Phoenix. She was just trying to help out in the war against Voldemort as much as she could.

The days of Lord Voldemort had taken a toll on everyone, including Alice’s family. Frank became easily exhausted and sick because of many sleepless nights. She had lost weight, but her face was still as round as ever, and poor Neville spent most of his time with Frank’s mother.

Alice sighed and stood up. Lily was so lucky that her husband was always around. James Potter, Lily’s husband, had inherited a fortune from his parents when they had died about a year ago, murdered by Voldemort. Alice felt an old jealousy creep into her veins. James didn’t need a high-paying job, so he had enough time to be with his wife and son. What she would have given for Frank to be home... She shook herself; she was being stupid. Jealously didn't help anything.

Alice slowly made her way down the hall to her son’s room, feeling a sudden urge to see him. The lights magically flickered on as she passed. She stopped abruptly in of a door that sat slightly ajar. All worries and concerns for her little baby boy flooded into her mind. Alice pushed open the door and hurried inside.

There was one candelabra illuminated with bright, blue flames cast shadows across a white crib in the center of the room. A small mobile adorned with stars and moons hovered over it. A small baby boy was dozing peacefully, wrapped in a sleeper as he laid on a light and soft, blue quilt with silver stars stitched onto the coverlet. Alice reached down and gently placed the babe in her arms. Neville opened his tiny eyes, but he was apparently too tired to even cry. He started to whimper, his little face scrunched up in discomfort.

“It’s all right,” whispered Alice, rocking him back and forth. She gazed at her little baby boy and suddenly felt overwhelmed. Dumbledore had told Frank and her about a prophecy had been foretold about her son, Voldemort, and Harry, Lily’s son. Voldemort would plan to come after a boy born at the end of July, and neither would live while the other survived.

Alice shuddered and continued to rock her baby back and forth. Neville suddenly yawned and squirmed. He took a hold on his mother’s finger, making her smile. Alice hugged Neville closer to her and began to hum a slow tune. Words formed an old family song that been sung to Alice in her cradle:


Sleep, baby, sleep
Mummy’s here, do not worry
Close your little eyes and dream all day;
No one’s in a hurry
Mummy’s here for you
If you weren’t here, what would Mummy do
Sleep, baby, sleep
Mummy’s here, do not worry
Close your little eyes and dream all day;
No one’s in a hurry
If there is danger from a stranger, do not fear
I am here
Sleep, baby, sleep
Mummy’s here, do not worry
Close your eyes and dream all day;
No one’s in a hurry



As Alice sang the last line of the song, Neville eyes began to droop. He gave out a little yawn and closed his eyes. Alice smiled gratefully and kissed his forehead. She slowly lowered her child back into his crib. Neville laid on his stomach with a peaceful smile on his face.

“I love you, Neville,” whispered Alice. She lifted her wand out of her pocket and whispered a spell. The mobile above the crib began to revolve slowly. A soft, soothing melody began to play. “Goodnight, little one.”

All of Alice’s worries still picked at her as she left the room; being with Neville had not calmed her. She was so worried about her little boy. She sometime wondered if being involved with the Ministry or the Order of Phoenix was such a good idea.

Dumbledore had wanted Frank, Alice, and Neville to go into hiding because of the prophecy, but Frank would not hear of it. He was not going to abandon his post as one of the top Aurors at the Ministry of Magic. Even though Alice had argued with him persistently, Frank would not budge on his decision. Alice was going to make sure that she was going to go into hiding with her husband and child.

Lily was in the same situation. She was doing her best to get James to come into hiding with her and Harry. From what Alice heard, it sounded as though James was split between the Order and his family. Alice sighed at the thought of it. It was impossible for Lily and her to get them to cooperate. If only the men would listen...

Alice flopped down onto the couch, wishing that there was a mission or something with the Order. As she sat there, she felt the quiet of the house surround her and suffocate her. She could only hear the quiet crackling of the red-orange fire as she sat there.

Alice relaxed her muscles and turned on her side as she tried to let go of her worries. The quiet eventually gave way to the hypnotic sound of the crackling fire. Alice stared into the fire, entranced by the dancing flames. Her eyelids suddenly felt heavy and drooped. She slowly closed her eyes and allowed the fire to lull her away to dreamland...



Alice bolted awake. It took her a minute to realize what had happened. Before it registered that something had awoken her, there was a knock on the door. Alice nearly jumped out of her skin. She tentatively stood up. She listened again. Two more loud knocks thudded on the door.

Alice hurried over to the door. She hesitated only a moment before opening it. A tall man with dark, brown hair and brown eyes stood in the doorway. There was a bouquet in one of his hands and a wand was in the other. Alice squealed and embraced her husband.

“You came home early!” cried Alice, suffocating poor Frank.

“I know...” Frank managed to say. “I...love...you...too, ...Honey.”

“You got me flowers,” said Alice in an amazed voice, finally letting go of Frank and taking the bouquet of white roses from him. Frank bent down and kissed Alice on the cheek.

“I’m sorry about the late nights,” whispered Frank.

“It’s all right,” murmured Alice, smelling the roses. “Neville keeps me company.” Frank wrapped his arms around his wife.

“I can keep you company now,” murmured Frank.

Alice smiled. I suppose this night won’t be lonely after all...


All of Alice's worries would still come back to haunt her thoughout the rest of the night, but Alice would always be worried. She would always try to be there for her family no matter what happened in the future.


Fin!

A/N: I hope you enjoyed the story! Thanks for reading! Please leave a review! :D