Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer – I do not own Harry Potter.




Mother’s Love







Ginny sat straight up in bed, her borrowed nightgown soaked with sweat, her heart beating uncontrollably. She squinted into the bright sun streaming through the window of the dormitory. Her breathing slowed as she looked around at her familiar surroundings. Swallowing hard, Ginny pulled her nightgown away from her chest, feeling the cool morning air brush her flushed skin. She hadn’t dreamt about the Chamber in over a year.


Untangling herself from the sheets twisting like vines up her calves, Ginny swung her legs over the side of her bed. Scooting off the edge, her bare feet crossed over the cool stones to the window. Closing her eyes, she poked her head out of the window into the morning breeze, reveling in the crispness of the oncoming fall. This hadn’t been a normal Chamber dream. Ginny snorted. Of course, what was normal about dreaming of the Chamber of Secrets? she thought. Ginny opened her eyes and gazed at the grounds.


Catarina had been in her dream, standing in the middle of the chamber, beckoning to her. But it wasn’t an eleven year old Ginny who entered the light, it was Ginny as she was today.


Drawing her head inside, she turned around and leaned against the wall, her eyes roaming over the empty beds that would be filled soon. Her stomach rumbled. Glancing at the sky, she realized it was probably late morning.


Catarina had then turned and Ginny saw Tom as Catarina had known him. Tom had raised his wand and pointed it at Catarina who threw her hands out in front of her.


As the flash of light exploded in front of her eyes, Ginny had woken up.


Ginny sat down on the edge of her bed and looked out the window at the bright blue skies, her mind wandering back to her dream. No, not a dream, she thought, a nightmare. Definitely, a nightmare.


++++


Harry struggled through the portrait hole, his hands clutching six toast triangles wrapped in a napkin and a goblet of pumpkin juice. He grimaced as he sloshed the liquid down his front. Setting the toast and juice on the nearest table, Harry swiped at the orange dribbles soaking into the cotton.


“It’s a lost cause,” Ginny commented from the bottom step of the dormitory stairs.


“Hey,” Harry said, dropping his shirt. “I know. At least I should have a change of clothes tonight if Ron brings my trunk.”


“Different clothes? What a thought!” Ginny exclaimed, walking over and wrapping her arms around Harry. “Good morning! How was your night?”


“Short,” Harry grinned at her as he wrapped his arms around her. Harry leaned against the back of the couch and drew Ginny with him. “I brought you toast.”


“You’re my hero,” Ginny sighed, batting her eyelashes at him and standing up on her tiptoes to give Harry a soft kiss on his lips.


Harry pulled away and touched his nose lightly to Ginny’s, his eyes focused on her lips. Her breath was warm and slightly minty. He saw her eyes flitter as his nose gently brushed hers once, twice, a third time. Harry lightly traced Ginny’s parted lips with his thumb, before replacing his thumb with his lips. He felt her melt, her softness against his chest.


“Hem, hem.”


Ginny’s hands trailed up Harry’s back, her fingers dancing over his bare neck and weaving into his hair, pressing against his scalp. One of Harry’s hands found the warm, soft skin exposed on Ginny’s back by her stretching up. Harry buried his other hand in Ginny’s hair, deepening the kiss as their tongues danced.


“Hem, HEM!”


Harry and Ginny broke apart, blinking dazedly at each other, hearts pounding, breathing ragged.


“Don’t you two have someplace to be?”


With a bewildered look on her flushed face, Ginny looked up at a portrait of several young maidens giggling behind their aprons, peeking out from behind the bulk of the Fat Lady who was visiting their portrait. The Fat Lady stood there, her hands on her hips and a disapproving look on her face.


Harry dropped his hands to Ginny’s waist and leaned his forehead on her shoulder. “She’s right.”


“Really?” Ginny replied unbelievingly.


“Hmmm,” Harry mumbled into Ginny’s shoulder.


“Hem, hem!”


“Alright,” Harry muttered as he gently pushed Ginny back. “Dumbledore wants to see us in his office.”


“Now?” Ginny asked frustrated, reluctantly stepping back and shooting the Fat Lady a disgruntled look.


“Now,” Harry nodded apologetically. “I told him I’d come and get you.”


Ginny sighed in resignation, grabbed the toast and followed Harry out of the portrait hole.


“It’s not nice to keep the Headmaster waiting!” the Fat Lady called after them from her own frame.


“Jealous old battleaxe,” Ginny muttered as she trotted to catch up to Harry.


“I heard that!” the Fat Lady yelled as the portrait hole swung shut.


+++++



“Miss Weasley,” Dumbledore said, reading from the parchment he held in his hands, “it came to the attention of the Ministry of Magic that you performed some magic in your time in the Forbidden Forest.”


Sitting up straight in her chair, Ginny visibly paled as Dumbledore looked at her over his half moon glasses.


“And I know you’ve been worried about it, too,” he commented mildly, his mouth beginning to smile. “You need not. It has been smoothed over.”


Ginny slouched in relief and grinned at the Headmaster. “Thank you, sir.”


Dumbledore nodded and turned his attention to Harry. “Now, Harry, I understand from Madam Pomfrey that you have suffered considerable spell damage. She has advised that due to your magical reserves being at a dangerously low level when you first arrived back at Hogwarts several days ago, that you refrain from doing any strenuous magical activities for the next six weeks.”


Harry opened his mouth to interrupt but Dumbledore held up his hand and continued.


“You will still be able to attend classes. She has however suggested you take a rest from dueling practice and put off starting the DA back up until November. It also means that you and Miss Weasley will not be able to perform the bonding ceremony until you are fully healed.”


Harry looked questioningly between the Headmaster and Ginny who was nodding.


“Harry, if we were to bond now, I might overpower you,” Ginny shrugged. “It is such an obtrusive process and your defenses are low. You’d have no way of protecting yourself if something were to go wrong again.”


“And for that reason, as well,” Dumbledore added, “I’m afraid I cannot allow you to visit Hogsmeade until your magical reserves are fully restored.”


Harry slumped back in his chair. “And what exactly am I supposed to do instead?” Harry complained grumpily.


Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled over his glasses at Ginny. “I have a feeling you’ll find something to keep yourself busy.” As the blush crept up her cheeks, Ginny’s eyes turned toward her shoes. “Also, Madame Pomfrey has suggested you use your Occlumency lessons as a way to test your reserve powers. Professor Borgin is quite well versed in a manner of Occlumency practiced by those proficient in Ancient Magic. If it is agreeable to you, I would like him to take over your Occlumency lessons for a while.”


Harry considered the thought of Professor Borgin for a moment and shrugged his shoulders.


“Lastly, Harry,” Dumbledore smiled, reaching into his robe pocket and pulling out a folded piece of parchment, “this would have normally been sent with your booklist, however, under the circumstances, I have the honor of presenting it to you in person.”


Harry accepted the parchment Dumbledore handed him and unfolded it, uncovering a Gryffindor patch. Harry couldn’t identify the feelings coursing through him – Fear? Excitement? Pride? – as he read the words across the shield.


“Well done, Harry,” Dumbledore said quietly.


Harry ran his fingers over the patch, tracing the words Head Boy. “Thank you, sir.”


“Congratulations, Harry,” Ginny said, leaning over to give him a kiss on the cheek. “You deserve it.”


Harry flushed and ducked his head. “Thanks,” Harry said. “Uh, I –“


“Albus!” Nathan Borgin raced up the stairs to Dumbledore’s office, clutching his forearm.


“Do you know what you are going to say?”


Nathan winced and nodded. “I’ve spoken with Severus.”


“Very well, then,” Dumbledore replied.


Nathan released his arm and nodded at Harry and Ginny and turned, pulling his hood over his head.


+++++


After Nathan’s abrupt departure, Dumbledore had ushered Ginny and Harry out of his office rather quickly, giving only the explanation that Tom had wanted answers and Nathan was going to try to provide some. The Headmaster had annoyingly avoided specifics which left Ginny speculating possibilities as she sat in one of the high backed chairs in the Gryffindor Common Room waiting for Harry to come down from the boys’ dormitory.


Leaning over to inspect the toes of her trainers, Ginny yelped in surprise as the empty fireplace burst into green flame and her mother’s head appeared.


“Mum! What are you doing?”


“It’s good to see you, too, Ginny,” Molly replied shortly. “I wanted to make sure you were alright! You haven’t bothered to send me an owl and tell me you were. I’ve received updates from Professor Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey, but nothing from you. You gave your father and me quite the fright!”


“Yes, well, Mum, I couldn’t really contact you from the Forbidden Forest,” Ginny replied with a touch of sarcasm. “Besides, I was rather surprised you weren’t here five minutes after we got back,” she muttered under her breath.


“What was that?”


“Nothing, Mum,” Ginny said, sighing heavily.


“Well, you have been back at school for several days now. You have had time. Besides, you shouldn’t have been in the Forbidden Forest in the first place!” Molly snapped.


“Mum, not now. I’m really not in the mood.”


“Ginny, this entire blood bonding business has only led you into danger. It is –“


“Mum, do you know Harry is Head Boy?” Ginny asked, attempting to avoid a major row with her mother.


“Well, of course he is. That’s a well deserved honor for him. But that does not mean you should go through –“


“Madam Pomfrey says he’s going to be fine. His magical reserves will be back to normal in six weeks.”


“Six weeks! There isn’t any reason why he should have to be in such a state in the first place! This is foolish nonsense! Ginny, you cannot go through with this!”


“Mum! You don’t understand!” Ginny argued, rubbing her forehead where a throbbing ache was gathering.


“I do, too, understand, young lady,” Molly admonished. The fire may have been green, but there wasn’t any mistaking the redness of anger in her expression. “That – Nath - him – he almost got you and Harry hurt. Or worse yet, he could have gotten you killed!”


“Mum! We weren’t in danger!”


“You were attacked!”


“Yes, but we Apparated out of there! We –“


“Illegally Apparated into the Forbidden Forest, Ginevra!”


“Mum, this is important!”


“Keeping you safe is important!”


“I am safe. Harry is safe. We are at Hogwarts, Mum,” Ginny ground out, feeling the last strings of restraint fall away.


“YOU KNOW WHAT HE DID TO HIS MOTHER?” Molly bellowed out of the flames. With each syllable, the flames shot higher and brighter until they licked the underside of the mantel.


Her jaw clenched, her eyes narrowed, Ginny shot up from her seat and stepped closer to the flames. Leaning down so she was eye to eye with her mother, Ginny scowled.


“Back off, Mum. I’m doing this.”


Taken aback, Molly stuttered a moment before regaining her position. “N-No, you aren’t. If you try to do this, I’ll bring you straight home, I -“


“I won’t come home,” Ginny retorted.


“You have to come home, Ginny. You are not of age,” Molly shot back.


“Fine,” Ginny snapped. “The minute I’m legal, you won’t have to worry about setting my place at the table anymore.”


Molly’s eyes flew open and her mouth dropped open. “GINEVRA MOLLY WEASLEY! HOW DARE –“


“MUM!” Ginny shouted, straightening up, fists at her side, anger bubbling over. “You will do anything in your power to keep those you love safe -


“Which is what I’m doing!”


“I love Harry,” Ginny shouted, ignoring her mother’s outburst, “and this is something I can do to help keep him safe.”


“There are other ways to keep Harry safe!”


“There aren’t better ways,” Ginny ground out. “We’re doing this, Mum. You can’t change our minds. This is a good thing,” she said, punctuating every word with jab of her finger. “I’m sorry you can’t seem to see that.”


“Ginny –“


“Mum, I have to go.”


“Go? Go where? The only place you’re going –“


“Bye, Mum. I’ll talk to you later,” Ginny sighed, turning away from the fireplace where Molly Weasley’s head sputtered in the green flames before dying out.



+++++


Anna bent her neck back, then to her left shoulder and to her right shoulder. Placing her hands on either side, she squeezed, feeling the lumps of stress compress. Groaning, she dropped her hands to her lap. Her first official day on the job and her desk was already buried under parchment. Reaching out for her mug, Anna titled it toward her. Empty.


Thankful for the excuse to stretch her legs, Anna carried her mug through the desks, smiling at the witches, wizards and goblins at their desks as she passed. Pushing the door at the back of the room open, Anna entered the hallway and made her way toward the kitchen. With each step, the pocket of her pants hit her leg. Slipping her hand inside, Anna touched Lily Potter’s key, the metal warm against her fingertips.


“Anna! Wait up!”


Anna turned to see Bill Weasley jogging up the corridor toward her.


“Tea time?” he asked.


Anna smiled and wiggled her mug. “You could say that.”


“How’s the first day going?”


Anna set her mug on the counter and pulled a tea canister toward her. “Alright. It appears my predecessor suffered from short timer’s disease and stopped doing paperwork a month before he left, but other than that, it’s going well. How about you?”


Bill crossed his arms across his chest and leaned against the counter. He watched as Anna scooped loose tea into a ball and put it in her mug. “I’ve got a case I’d like you to look at. There are reports of some counterfeit authorization letters circulating.”


Anna snorted. “This is what our lives have come to?” she joked, lighting a fire with her wand under the kettle she held.


Bill grinned. “The letters are charmed to not reveal any incriminating information on who created them. We’ve already had two curse breakers sent to St. Mungos because they tried to break the charms. It’s not a tomb, but it’s a living,” Bill shrugged.


Anna poured hot water from the kettle into her mug. “That, and we can’t have the wrong sort successfully accessing vaults.”


“When did we get that?” Bill asked nodding at the teapot.


“Oh, I brought it. Can’t stand tea out of my wand. Tastes like the core. And no one wants to drink tea that tastes like the tail end of a centaur.”


Bill chuckled. “Good point.”


Anna fished the tea ball out of her mug. “Bill,” Anna started, wrapping her hands around her mug, “who handles safe boxes these days?”


“Uh, Swelf, I believe,” Bill replied.


“Swelf? Really? He must be positively ancient by now,” Anna chuckled.


“I believe he is. Why?”


“I came into possession of a key to one of the boxes. The owners are deceased. I was wanting to clear it out.”


“Shouldn’t be a problem,” Bill said. “Can I walk with you?”


Anna nodded and lead Bill out of the kitchen area and down the corridor in the opposite direction from their office. The hallway got smaller, the floor bumpier and the air colder as their wound their way downwards. They stopped in front of a curved wooden door with a circular iron handle. The uniformed guard standing in front of the door looked at them questioningly. Bill and Anna handed their wands to the guard who placed them on a small brass meter sitting on a table to his right. A voice floated up stating their names and authorization. The guard handed the wands back and stepped to the side. Bill pushed the door open.


The room they entered was dimly lit with torches. The ceiling couldn’t be seen, the walls seeming to stretch forever, lined with boxes, neatly organized by number. A small table stood in the middle of the room. The goblin sitting on a stool at the end continued to scribble in his large record book.


“Don’t touch anything,” Bill whispered.


Anna smiled. “I know. You forget, Bill. I’m the one who set up the wards in this room many moons ago.” Stepping forward, Anna smiled and stretched out her hand. “Hello, Swelf.”


Bill’s mouth dropped open. He’d never seen a goblin smile before. Or at least that’s what he thought the goblin at the end of the table was doing. To be honest, it was kind of hard to tell under all the wrinkles. Swelf looked like he could be as old as the stone the walls were built of. The aged goblin scooted off his chair and enclosed Anna’s hand in his own.


“Ms. Patterson. Welcome home. What can I do for you?”


“I’m here to clear out a box.”


“Do you have the key?”


“Uh, yeah, it’s here,” Anna set her tea down on the table and dug her hand into her pocket, pulling out a handkerchief, a handful of sickles, a quill tip, a piece of string and the key. Several coins rolled across the polished wooden surface and bounced to the floor as she dropped it all on the table. Anna fished out the key and handed to the goblin. Swelf took the key and walked over to the ladder resting in the corner. Climbing on the bottom rung, Swelf motioned with his hand and the ladder moved left a meter and stopped. With another motion, the step Swelf stood on began to rise, carrying the goblin up until Anna could only see the bottom of his shoes. Anna heard the key slide into a lock then the sliding of wood against wood and Swelf came back into view holding a rectangular shaped box. Swelf placed the box on the table and handed Anna back her key.


“It is good to see you again, Ms. Patterson,” the goblin said before returning to his parchment.


“Thank you, Swelf,” Anna replied, gathering up the box and her pocket contents and following Bill out of the room.


“Here,” Bill said, taking the safe box from Anna’s arms. “I’ll carry this. You have your hands full.”


Anna smiled gratefully at Bill as she stuffed her handkerchief and coins in her pockets.


“So, who did the box belong to?” Bill asked as he led the way to Anna’s desk.


Distracted by filling her pockets again, Anna replied without thinking. “Uh, Lily Evans, I think.”


Anna ran headfirst into Bill’s back as he stopped suddenly. Heads turned in their direction as sickles flew from Anna’s hands. Bill grabbed Anna by the elbow and directed her into a small conference room, closing the door behind them. “Lily Evans? As in Lily Evans Potter?


Anna cringed. She hadn’t wanted to make a big deal out of this. It was probably nothing. “Yes. I knew her as Lily Evans at Hogwarts.”


“How did you get a key to a box owned by Lily Potter?” Bill asked suspiciously, setting the box between them on the table and leaning toward Anna.


Anna blew her cheeks out as she felt the stress returning to her shoulders. “Lily Potter sent it to my father. I found it with a letter in my parent’s apartment when I cleaned it out.”


“Why would she send it to your father?” Bill asked disbelievingly, pulling a chair out and sitting down. Reaching out, he pulled the box toward him.


Anna plopped down in the chair facing Bill’s. “The letter didn’t specifically say,” she replied, nonchalantly placing her hand on top of the box and moving it back to her. “My father dabbled in protection spells, particularly the bond between mothers and their children. He even wrote a book on it.”


“But why would Lily Potter leave your father a key,” Bill asked, pointing his wand at the box and reeling it back, “and then your father just abandon the box?”


The box was half way across the table when Anna rolled her eyes, pointed her wand at it and uttered, “Remeo dirimo.” The box slid back. “Don’t even think about it,” she said as Bill opened his mouth to retaliate.


“Hold your nose,” she warned, pulling the key from her pocket.


Bill grabbed his nose as Anna inserted the key into the lock. A series of clicks followed and the key was spit out of the lock, followed by a puff of green acrid smelling smoke.


“You know, I know at least six spells that would fix the smell of the locking charm used on these, but every time I suggested one of them, Swelf would shoot my idea down. I think he likes the stink.” Waving her wand in the air, Anna muttered, “Expurgo,” released her nose and took a sniff. “Better. Alright, let’s see what’s in here.”


Anna carefully slipped her fingernail under the lid of the wooden box and lifted. Safe boxes were designed to expand and shrink depending on the contents. Lily’s box was the size of a standard roll of parchment, which is exactly what Anna pulled out. Setting the roll aside, Anna trailed her fingers to all corners of the box to make sure she hadn’t missed anything. Satisfied it was empty, she closed the lid and pushed it aside.


Anna rolled the parchment flat on the table and trailed her finger over the neat script. Bill scooted his chair over and began to read.


“Anna, is this about Blood Bonds?” Bill asked, not taking his eyes from the page.


Surprised, Anna looked up at the top of Bill’s head. “What do you know about Blood Bonds?”


Bill leaned back and tapped his fingers on the table top. “Ah, it’s a bit of a long story,” he said, scratching behind his left ear. “As it turns out, my sister has, well, participated in one, sort of.”


“Who’s her bond?”


“Harry Potter,” Bill replied quietly.


Anna paused, before asking the question she knew the answer to already. “Who trained them?”


“A witch by the name of Catarina Borgin. Her son is a professor at Hogwarts.”


“Nathan,” Anna said quietly.


“You know him?” Bill asked surprised.


Anna nodded.


“Anna, if Lily Potter was researching Blood Bonds in order to protect her family, I think the Order needs to know about this.”


Anna scanned the parchment again, her mind struggling to get around the information. “Lily had determined her love could protect Harry because of the blood they shared while he was in her womb. That protection is key to the maternal bond between mother and child. Even Muggles have it, though it manifests itself differently, tending to be more comforting than magical.”


“Anna? The Order? I think they should know,” Bill pestered.


“Hold on, hold on,” Anna said, waving her hand in Bill’s direction as she kept reading. “She was trying to see if that protection could stem to James. Well no,” Anna said, looking up, “of course, it couldn’t, because I’m guessing she wasn’t a Mediator.”


“How much do you know about Mediators?” Bill asked suspiciously.


“Oh, I’m not one,” Anna said, shaking her head. “I’ve heard about them, read about them. Amazing talent and abilities,” Anna set her tea mug on the table and returned to the parchment. “She was also trying to determine if the bond between mother and child could be shared. Hmmm….”


“Shared?”


“Uh, yes, shared. For example, the blood protection of such a maternal bond holds strong between a mother and her children. That protection can also be given to other female members of the mother’s family. Like with Harry’s aunt.”


“You know about the Dursleys?” Bill asked incredulously.


Anna nodded. “Dumbledore contacted my father about the use of the spell used to protect Harry. I remember the night very well. It’s hard to forget when Albus Dumbledore pops up at the end of your table in the middle of supper.”


“How old were you?” Bill teased, pushing his chair back on its back legs and raising his eyebrows at Anna.


“Old enough to remember,” Anna replied sourly. Anna tapped her finger on the parchment. “By shared, Lily wanted to find out if a mother’s protection could be passed on to a child she did not carry, such as an adopted child or say a child by marriage.”


Bill exhaled and dropped his chair forward. “Anna, I really think the Order should see this.”


Anna reached out to pick up the parchment, swiping her hand into her mug and tipping it over. Tea pooled out onto the parchment, ink beginning to run. “Oh crap!” Anna exclaimed. Pointing her wand at the spill, she muttered a drying charm, effectively evaporating the liquid and restoring the ink. Picking the parchment up, Anna waved it in the air just to make sure it was dry.


“Perhaps you’re right, Bill,” she said, rolling it back up and slipping it into her back pocket.


Not waiting for her to change her mind, Bill jumped up. “I’ll go see who I can round up. I’ll be back.”


“I’ll be at my desk,” Anna called after him.


Anna tucked the safe box under her arm and headed back to her desk. Placing the box on her desk, Anna flopped down into her chair, her eyes unfocused, staring at the wall in front of her. Bill was right. The Order should see this. More importantly, Nathan needed to see this. He would know what to do with it.


“Anna, you ready?” Bill asked, tapping her on the shoulder.


“Uh, yeah, yeah,” Anna said, pushing herself away from the desk. “I’m coming.”


Bright sunlight hit them square in the face as the guard opened the front doors of Gringotts for them. Squinting, Anna shaded her eyes with her hands as she hurried to keep up with Bill’s long strides.


“Where are we going?” Anna asked.


“Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes,” Bill replied, glancing over his shoulder to make sure she was keeping up.


“The joke shop? Ah, Weasley’s – relations of yours?”


“My brothers Fred and George own it. If you ever have a need for a good prank, they’re your men. Watch your step,” Bill cautioned as he pushed the door open.


Anna sidestepped the never stopping broom and dust pan as it moved in to sweep up the confetti floating down from the bucket hanging above the door. She gave the shop an admiring once over.


“Bill,” Fred called from behind the counter, “nice of you to drop by.”


“And bring such beautiful company,” George said, popping his head out of the storeroom. “Where’s Fleur?”


“Who’s Fleur?” Anna asked, putting her hands on her hips in mock anger. “Bill! Are you seeing someone besides me?”


“’fraid so, Anna. She’s younger.” Bill grunted as Anna’s hand made contact with his stomach.


“You must be Anna,” Fred said, reaching his hand over the counter. “Bill’s told us about you. I’m Fred.”


“George,” George said, waving at her from the backroom, his hands a brilliant lime green.


Fred took a look around the front of the shop to determine it was empty and motioned toward the backroom with his head. “Go on back. Kingsley’s here. So is Mundungus and Moody. Stewart should be back soon. I’ll come back when he gets here to watch the front.”


Bill nodded and took Anna’s elbow in order to direct her behind the counter. They both looked back just as the front door slammed open, the entire bucket of confetti flying forward, crashing into the glass shelves displaying the Skiving Snack Boxes. As the glass shelves fell like dominoes, shards of glass skating in all directions, Stewart fell to his knees in the doorway, his eyes wide, his face pale.


“Attack!” Stewart whispered, staring blindly around the shop, blood soaking through the knees of his pants where the glass had cut through.


“Stewart?” Fred exclaimed, running forward. “Stewart? What happened?”


Stewart grabbed onto Fred’s shirtfront and leaned against him. “Di – Diagon Alley’s under Attack,” he forced out, before falling forward onto the floor, dragging Fred down with him.


Fred reached out and felt for a pulse. Slowly he removed his hand from Stewart’s neck and reached down to loosen the clerk’s grip on his shirt. “He’s alive. Barely,” Fred said stunned. Leaning back on his heels, it took a moment for what had happened to sink in. Suddenly, Fred pushed himself off the ground. “Right! We’re under attack! Everybody get down!” he yelled pulling Stewart’s unconscious form behind the front counter.


Shadows blocked out the sun that had been streaming in the open door. Where Stewart had been, two Death Eaters now stood, wands at the ready. Anna stood frozen, as she watched the two hooded figures approach, exploding spells smashing everything in their wake. Smoke filled the storefront, clogging her lungs and making it difficult to see. The noise was deafening. A hand grabbed the belt of her pants and yanked her behind the counter. Stumbling down, she fell, hitting the floor with a thud.


“Stay down!” a gravelly voice shouted above her.


Scrambling up, Anna came face to face with Alastor Moody. Mad Eye’s magical eye focused briefly on Anna before swirling back in his head.


“Kingsley and Mundungus are out back. George is too. If it’s the entire Alley, people are going to need help. Who are you?”


Anna swallowed, trying not to stare at Moody’s eye. “Anna Patterson.”


“Stay low, Ms. Patterson.”


Bill nodded at Moody as he crouched down next to Anna. “You alright?”


“They’ve got to be nuts!” Anna hissed at Bill. “What do they expect to accomplish?”


Moody growled, “Mass destruction. Mass confusion. Massive casualties.”


“Damn! It’s the day before school starts,” Anna cursed, tears of anger burning her eyes. “How dare they!”


“They don’t feel, that’s how they dare,” Moody growled before disappearing into the backroom, followed closely by Fred.


Anna’s stomach churned with disgust. Her nostrils flared as anger lit her eyes. Shoving against the polished floor, she threw her arm over the counter and aimed for the nearest robed figure.


“EXTUNDO!”


The Death Eater screamed as flashes of fire red light beat it backward.


“Good one!” Bill shouted. “Where’d you learn it?”


“Old friend,” Anna replied as she took aim again. The stunning spell she sent toward another Death Eater hit its mark. A flash of green light streamed over the top of the counter as Anna ducked down. Her heart pounding, she could feel the sweat forming between her shoulder blades. Counting to five to steady herself, Anna took aim again and sent a bludgeoning spell in the direction of the green light.


Bill jumped up behind the register and shot a stunning spell at a third Death Eater coming in the door. The spell hit the hooded figure square in the chest, sending him flying backward into the front display of Ton Tongue Toffees. Brightly wrapped candies sprayed forth from the fallen barrel, mixing with the glass on the floor.


Bill leaned around the end of the counter, sending a bludgeoning spell at an approaching figure. He sprang back in time to shove Anna against the wall. Anna slammed into the wood narrowly missing being hit by a piece of ceiling tile
crashing down. The wall Anna landed against shook violently as something exploded in the backroom.


“What the hell was that?” Anna yelled, spinning on her knees in the direction of the back door. She could see the door was open, the side alley filled with smoke and screams. Coughing as her lungs clogged with dust and debris, Anna crawled into the backroom and stood up.


“What was it?” Bill yelled over his shoulder.


“I think it was a cauldron,” Anna yelled, kicking a piece of black iron covered with neon orange slime out of the way. She felt an insane urge to giggle and tears form at the corners of her eyes.


“Well then, I could use some help out here!”


“Right!”


Anna dove behind the counter next to Bill, her vision fuzzy with stupid tears. She saw a blur of black outside in the street and her heart went cold. Her world shifted into slow motion. Her mouth opened to scream as Bill stood up and aimed his wand at the broken window. His mouth opened, but no sound came out. Bill flew back, ricocheting off the back wall. He slumped to the ground.


“NO!” Anna screamed, swiping her eyes with her sleeve and pointing her wand at the Death Eater.


“ATTONARE!”


Without looking to see the impact of her stunning spell, Anna aimed her wand in Bill’s direction and yelled, “CONTEGO!” An invisible shield formed around Bill, protecting him from another piece of ceiling tile that smashed to the ground.


Anna’s chest heaved as she struggled to stand up and catch her breath. Her shirt stuck to the sweat coursing down her front. Anna ran her hands through her hair as she examined the damage.


“You alright?” Fred shouted, bursting through the curtain separating the back of the shop from the front.


Anna nodded. “Bill!“ she gasped.


“Right!” Fred shouted, turning.


Anna didn’t see the bone crushing curse that hit her in the shoulder with a sickening crack. Instantaneous pain shot from her arm up to her brain then throughout her body. She screamed, dropping to her knees behind the counter, her left arm hanging limply by her side.


“Come out, come out wherever you are.”


The evil in the sing – song voice sent chills up Anna’s spine. Nausea rolled her stomach. Anna gasped, swallowing her pain and pointing the wand at her shoulder. She muttered a numbing spell. Her shoulder still throbbed but she could function. Her left arm limp at her side, Anna firmly fisted her hand around her wand. She pushed herself up the wall behind the counter and aimed a bludgeoning spell in the direction of the voice. Anna watched as the screeching Death Eater flew back, the hood sliding off to reveal a head of dark hair. As she hit the floor, Bellatrix LeStrange returned the bludgeoning spell, slamming Anna into the wall. Anna screamed as pain shot through her shoulder and she slumped to the floor.


“REDUCTO!”


The counter shielding Anna from the rest of the store exploded, sending shards of wood and chunks of countertop crashing to the floor, splinters cutting her face, arms, and clothing. Anna pointed her wand up and shouted, “PROTEGO!” deflecting another bone crushing curse as she struggled to her feet.


“You are going to die,” Bellatrix shrieked at Anna. “Why fight it?”


“Because I’m not finished here yet,” Anna hissed, pointing her wand at Bellatrix’s chest. “AESTUO SANIES!”


Bellatrix fell to the floor, her fingers clawing at her skin as liquid fire erupted in her veins. Anna fell against the wall, panting. That blood boiling curse was a good one, she thought absurdly.


“CRUCIO!”


Anna crashed to the floor screaming in agony, her shoulder crumpling underneath her, her head slamming into the marble floor. Bellatrix’s hand shook as the searing heat flooded her body causing the spell to waver. Anna’s world began to turn blissfully black when suddenly the pain lifted. Starbursts of light clouded her vision. Anna blinked but the glow just seemed to get worse. Praying she wouldn’t vomit, Anna gritted her teeth and pushed up with all her strength. She drew a ragged breath as she stumbled on her feet.


“OY!”


Anna couldn’t form any words. She raised her head to look at one of the Weasley twins. Must be George, she thought fuzzily. Green hands.


“Come on. They’re gone. Let’s get you help.”


Anna felt her senses begin to let go as her body decided to give her relief from the pain. As the darkness washed over her, she saw one last Death Eater standing by the door. She watched in fascination as he turned and raised his hood. She would have screamed if she could have.


+++++


Nathan Apparated into Hell. The stench of burning flesh mixed with cobblestone and brick dust filled his nostrils. Explosions vibrated the ground under his feet. Screams of pain rang in his ears. Nathan’s stomach churned as he realized why he’d been called here. It was the day before the start of term. Students and their parents would be in Diagon Alley to purchase school supplies. This was senseless.


“What took you so long?”


Nathan whirled around to see a fellow Death Eater – McNair, was it? - flinging himself against the side of Eeylops Owl Emporium. “You should have been here!” McNair shouted at him.


“Where I’ve been is none of you’re concern!” Nathan shouted back, throwing himself against the opposite wall.


Nathan knew what was expected of him. He glanced down the alley, counting at least a dozen or so Death Eaters. In between the buildings, he saw Order members fighting back, protecting the innocent with their lives.


“What are you waiting for?” McNair yelled at Nathan.


Nathan aimed his wand at Elphias Doge who was crouching down behind a flower pot in front of the Apothecary’s.


“SOPORIFER!”


Nathan watched as his deep sleep spell hit the silver haired wizard in the forehead. Doge’s eyes slid shut and Nathan lost sight of him as he slumped behind the pot.


“I didn’t think you had it in you,” Malfoy sneered, coming up from behind.


Nathan squelched the panic forming in his stomach. “What do you mean, Malfoy?”


“To actually attack an Order member,” Malfoy smirked.


Nathan exhaled. Malfoy wouldn’t know an Ancient sleeping spell if it hit him square in the forehead. “I’m a faithful servant, Malfoy, just like you,” Nathan answered.


“Do you have any news for our Master?” Malfoy hissed, sending a bludgeoning curse in the direction of the counter.


“Two days. Severus will have the potion brewed in two days.”


“I will give him the news.”


“No, I’ll tell him myself!” Nathan spat as he shot a stunning spell into the street.


Malfoy ran down the street, staying close to the shops. Not wanting to loose him, Nathan followed. He ran, ducking into storefronts, choking on the dust and debris. Peering around the doorframe, Nathan saw Lucius halt and aim. Nathan couldn’t stop it. He desperately tried to convince himself of that. But he knew, in his mind, he would see the green light hit Emmeline Vance, killing her instantaneously over and over again for the rest of his life. Nathan’s chest ached as he gulped air in, forcing himself to stay focused. He turned to glare at Malfoy.


But Malfoy wasn’t there. His heart racing, Nathan charged down the street, his eyes hunting for his fellow Death Eater. He turned the corner. Malfoy was raising his wand. Nathan followed the wand. He saw the tell-tale Weasley red hair behind the counter.


“He’s mine,” hissed Malfoy, raising his wand. “AVADA KEDAVRA!“


“CONICO!”


Malfoy screamed as Nathan’s shoulder made contact with his wand hand, sending the Unforgivable Curse toward the ceiling of the shop. Nathan saw his hurling curse hit its mark, flinging Bill into the wall behind him.


“BORGIN! WHAT WERE –“


His words were cut short as the Unforgiveable Curse struck the ceiling, a chunk of tile and wood crashing to the shop floor. The force of a lightening bolt pitched Malfoy into the wall of the shop behind them, a sickening thud of skull meeting brick filling the space.


Watching Malfoy, Nathan didn’t see the wizard behind the wand but he felt the sledgehammer blow to his back as he was thrown face first into the cobblestone street. Gasping for air, Nathan rolled over to a sitting position only to find himself looking straight at the tip of a wand. He looked up.


“Fred?” he asked breathlessly, realizing he had his hood on. Reaching up, he lifted the side so his face was visible. “Its me, Borgin.”


“Borgin! What the hell are you doing here?” Fred exclaimed, dropping his wand.


“Got called in. Point your ruddy wand at me.”


Fred jabbed his wand at Nathan’s stomach. “What’s wrong with Bill?”


“He’s unconscious. He’ll be fine.”


“I can’t touch him!”


“What happens?”


“Sparks.”


Nathan tried to look around Fred. He only knew one person who used a shield like that.


“It’s a shield charm,” Nathan glanced over his shoulder at another hooded Death Eater who was coming his way. “I’m really sorry about this Fred. Soporifer!”


Fred slumped to the ground as intense pain flooded Nathan’s body, causing him to writhe in agony on the street. He screamed, his eyes tearing, his arms flailing as he fought to throw it off. As sudden as it came, it was gone. Nathan lurched to his feet, his hands on his knees, wheezing.


“You are a fool, Borgin,” Malfoy sneered, shoving him back onto the street.


Malfoy aimed his wand at Nathan’s chest but was knocked off his feet by McNair who was recoiling in the street from a curse. Screaming in frustration, Malfoy tried to right himself. Nathan used every ounce of strength he had to punch his legs out sending Malfoy sprawling.


A scream of sheer pain came from the shop. His chest heaving, Nathan turned to look through the broken window. Bellatrix LeStrange fell back onto the floor clawing at her skin. The witch raised her wand and shakily pointed it toward what was left of the counter. Nathan lurched toward the doorway of the joke shop as Bella raised her wand and Disapparated.


In a flash, searing pain burned his arm. Hissing, he clamped his hand over his forearm. The remaining Death Eaters were vanishing. Malfoy’s body was gone. As he pulled his hood up, Nathan’s brown eyes locked briefly with a familiar pair of hazel ones. His heart constricted as he quickly looked away and vanished.


+++++


Nathan lifted his face to the sky, the early afternoon rain hitting his face in short, stinging shots. Pushing his hood back, Nathan opened his mouth, letting the wetness soak through his robes to his skin, washing away the events of the morning. He welcomed the chill that traveled from his feet to his head, freezing him, making him numb. His eyes closed, he didn’t see the door open.


“There are easier ways to kill yourself, Borgin, than attempting to drown yourself in the rain.”


Nathan opened his eyes and looked disbelievingly at the Potions Master.


“How do you do it, Severus? How do you put up with it all?” he asked, holding his hands up to the sky. “How do you do it without absolutely hating yourself?” Nathan dropped his hands to his sides and stepped up the first step toward Snape. “Maybe more importantly, how do you forgive yourself?”


The expression in Snape’s dark eyes was unreadable but the tone of the his voice was unmistakable. “You don’t,” he replied coldly. “Did you tell him?”


Nathan felt the rain slide under the collar of his shirt to mingle with the dried perspiration on his back. “Yes, I told him.”


“What did you tell him?”


Nathan wiped at the rain running in front of his eyes, obscuring his vision. “What we agreed on - that you could make the potion in two days, Severus.”


“And he believed you?”


“I’m still alive, aren’t I?”


“How is he?”


“Weakened…Strained.”


“Does he know yet, about his inability to bond with Miss Weasley?”


“No, I don’t believe so. I haven’t told him.”


“What about –“


“No, he hasn’t either. He knows he would be killed if he did.”


“Will the Dark Lord recover?”


Nathan looked up into Severus’ black eyes and smiled a rather unbalanced smile. “You know the answer to that, Severus.”


“Professor Borgin? Professor Snape? What are you doing out here! It is pouring!” Professor McGonagall peered around the open door to look incredulously at the two grown men. “Come inside or I’m shutting you both out here for the rest of the day and you’ll have to see if Hagrid will take pity on you.”


Professor McGonagall stepped to the side to allow her peers to enter. Nathan raised his wand and performed a drying charm on his clothes, then swiped his sleeve under his runny nose.


“Really, Borgin. How old are you?” Snape snapped.


Nathan rolled his eyes and turned to Professor McGonagall. “Are they here?”


“They’re settled. Madame Pomfrey has assured me they will both recover, although Ms. Patterson may be here a while longer than Mr. Weasley as her injuries are more severe.”


Nathan nodded. “Thank you. Where is the Headmaster?”


“He is in the Hospital Wing. I believe he is expecting you.”


+++++



Professor Dumbledore tapped the railing on the end of Bill’s bed. “Madam Pomfrey has assured me they will both fully recover.”


Ginny nodded, her eyes on her brother, not trusting herself to speak. She couldn’t remember Bill ever being hurt. Bill was…Bill. He just kept going. Wrapping her hand around his, she tried to swallow the lump forming in her throat.


“Who is she?” Harry asked, glancing over at the woman in the bed across the ward.


“Her name is Anna Patterson,” Dumbledore answered. “Her injuries were much more severe than Mr. Weasley’s, but she will recover. It appears she was with Bill at the time of the attacks. Since St. Mungos was full, Professor Borgin contacted us to bring her and your brother here.”


“Professor Borgin knows her?” Ginny asked, her voice cracking.


“Yes, I do,” Nathan answered tiredly, as he stepped into the Hospital Wing.


“Professor Borgin. Sit down. Let me take a look at you, too. I doubt you took any better care of yourself than these two here.” Madam Pomfrey swooped down on Nathan and pushed him back onto a nearby bed. Running her wand up his front and down his back, Poppy Pomfrey clicked her tongue in disapproval. “Where have you been, Professor Borgin? You should have come straight to me after being hit with those curses. Time only makes the healing process worse. You of all people should know that. I will be right back. You stay there.”


As Madam Pomfrey bustled off to her office, Nathan began to rise.


“SIT!”


Nathan dropped back down, flushing slightly.


“You saw Tom?” Dumbledore asked, crossing the floor to Nathan’s bed.


“Yes,” Nathan replied, glancing over at Anna’s bed. She lay so still. Turning back to the Headmaster, he nodded. “I told him two days. He wasn’t pleased.”


“How is he?” Dumbledore asked.


“Weakened. He is in pain, but that won’t last for long. You can see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice.”


“What will the potion do?” Harry asked.


“It will provide him some relief by –“


“Provide him relief? Why do we want to give him relief?” Ginny cried disbelievingly from Bill’s side.


“It will provide him some relief,” Nathan repeated, “by masking his symptoms. He will believe he’s better, but in reality, not much has changed.”


“Oh,” Ginny said, feeling her cheeks grow warm.


“I assume if it is allowed by Madam Pomfrey, Miss Weasley will be wanting to stay for a while,” Dumbledore commented. Madam Pomfrey nodded.


Harry turned to look at Nathan who was holding an empty glass and grimacing. “Ugh – nasty stuff,” Nathan said, his nose wrinkled.


“Very well,” Dumbldore said, patting Harry on the shoulder. “I have to prepare for this evening. Nathan, you should come, too. Poppy will let you know when she is awake.”


“Right,” Nathan cleared his throat and cast a wary eye at the nurse who rolled her eyes at him and waved him off. “I have a few things to do as well before the students descend.” Nathan’s eyes traveled over the still form of Anna once more before reluctantly following the Headmaster.


Harry glanced up at Ginny who had turned back to Bill’s bed. Slowly, he stepped to her side and put his arm around Ginny’s shoulders and squeezed. “He’s going to be alright,” he assured her, placing a kiss on the side of her head.


Ginny nodded and drew a ragged breath. “I know,” she whispered. “It’s – it’s just this war…”


“I know,” Harry said softly, pulling her close. “I know.”


++++++


Later that evening, Ron, Harry, Hermione and Ginny sat at a table in the Gryffindor Common Room. Ron sat, slumped against the back of his chair, staring at the middle of the table. Hermione’s brow furrowed as she tapped her fingers together. Ginny propped her elbows on the table and pushed her forehead into her hands, trying to massage away the headache forming across her brow. Harry studied his hands which were clenched together in his lap.


Ron cleared his throat. “Dumbledore says he’ll be alright.”


“Yeah,” Harry replied.


“Fred’s alright, and George says their shop will reopen as soon as possible.”


“Uh – huh,” Ginny said into her palms.


“I’m sorry you missed your last ride to Hogwarts on the train, Harry,” Hermione added.


Harry simply nodded.


“And you’re Head Boy,” Ron said focusing his eyes on Harry. “And you’re Head Girl,” Ron said nodding at Hermione.


“And you aren’t bonded,” Hermione stated.


“Nope,” Harry replied, shaking his head.


“And Catarina’s dead, and Voldemort is still the bad guy and the sky is still blue,” Ginny said frustrated, pushing her chair back.


“Ginny - Harry, look, I’m sorry,” Ron reached out toward him. “I just couldn’t see past the whole –“


“Ron, it really doesn’t matter,” Ginny said, rubbing her tired eyes.


“Yeah, it does -“


“No, it doesn’t,” Harry said quietly.


“Really?”


“Yeah, really,” Harry replied. “Look, I’m done. Classes start tomorrow. We should go to bed.”


“Boy, you already sound like a Head Boy, too,” Ron said grinning for the first time since he’d heard the news about Bill.


“Congratulations, Harry,” Hermione said, giving him a quick hug.


“You too, Hermione,” Harry replied.


Hermione leaned down and gave Ron a kiss before heading up the stairs to the girl’s dormitory.


“’night, Gin,” Harry said, leaning down to give her a kiss. Standing up, he saw Ron wrinkling his nose at him. “What?”


“Uh, nothing,” Ron said, looking back at Ginny. “’night, Ginny.”


“Good night,” Ginny yawned, following Hermione up the steps.


+++++


Ginny ran her hands over the top of her trunk that had been placed at the foot of her four poster bed. Her own clothes, at last. Opening the top, she rifled through her belongings, grabbing a nightgown and her toothbrush. She shuffled off to the loo. Five minutes later, she shuffled back, dumping her clothes on top of her truck. Ginny pushed aside the heavy curtains shielding her bed from view and climbed in. She yelped as her knee hit a solid mass that hissed back.


“Ginny? You alright?”


“Yeah, Joanna, I’m fine,” Ginny replied, squinting into the murky darkness. Picking up her wand, Ginny whispered, “Lumos!”


Chehalis sat at the end of Ginny’s bed, tail tapping, a perturbed look on his face. Ginny sat back on her heels. “Chehalis, what are you do – oh. Right,” she said, running her hand through her hair. “What about Professor Borgin? Don’t you want to be with him?”


Chehalis cocked his head to the side. Please!


“Suit yourself,” Ginny said, scooting under her covers.


Chehalis padded up Ginny’s body and circled Ginny’s pillow three times before plopping down in front of her face. Ginny grimaced as she blew the fur out of her nose.


++++



A/N – My thanks to my husband who asked me how my writing was coming. When I told him I was in the middle of a battle, he told me, “May the Force be With You.”


To Melindaleo for looking forward to fireworks…I was torn about including some and your review tipped the scales. Thanks!


And to my beta/collaborator wvchemteach who let me borrow a spell or two and Kissmegrint for her second set of eyes – thanks! And now, Anya, too – the more the merrier!