Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer – I do not profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.





Levels of Fondness






The castle was alive. Ginny couldn’t help but grin at the walls as she hurried down the corridor toward the Hospital Wing. Granted, the energy bouncing off the walls was subdued compared to years past. The hallways weren’t quite as crowded. Students seemed a little more wary of each other. But, since the beginning of classes two days ago, the veins of the old castle were pumping full of life again. It was hard to not feel excited about that.


All the beds in her dormitory were full. That wasn’t the case for most. Some families had chosen not to send their students back to Hogwarts, despite the repeated assurances from Professor Dumbledore that the wards were in place to keep the castle protected. Other students weren’t able to return at all.


A memorial had been set up in the front hall to honor the students who had died in the war, most casualties of Death Eater attacks. There was an aura of solitude around the black marble slabs magically levitating in one corner of the front hall, the names of the fallen engraved in gold on them. On her way to and from the Great Hall, Ginny found herself drawn to the tablets. She would pause in front of them, her fingers tracing the names of students, some she knew, some she didn’t, her throat thickening with unshed tears for the lives that had been cut short.


Thankfully, though, her family had been spared once more. Bill had woken up yesterday, groggy and in pain, but alive. Madam Pomfrey had insisted on giving him a sleeping potion for another day. The school nurse had said that while the actual spell damage was minimal, Bill’s physical injuries were considerable. Madam Pomprey had claimed the force that threw Bill against the wall of the twin’s shop would have moved a mountain, but, of course, it was better than the alternative. Professor Borgin had been in the ward at the time, standing by Anna’s bed. Seeing him blush, Ginny realized Nathan probably had something to with her brother still being alive. She had smiled gratefully at him. Nathan had nodded back.


Ginny shifted her book bag to the side and pushed the doors open to the Hospital Wing. Bill was sitting up in bed, looking rather disgruntled by the breakfast tray resting on his knees. As the doors swung shut, he looked up at his sister, relieved.


“Please tell me you’ve brought me something edible,” Bill pleaded.


“Now, Bill, I’m a Prefect,” Ginny teased, setting her book bag down on the end of his bed. Looking in the direction of the nurse’s office, she undid the front buckle. “If I were to go against Madam Pomfrey’s wishes, that just wouldn’t be right.” Ginny reached inside the bag and drew out three sausages and some toast wrapped in a napkin. Leaning forward, she gave Bill a quick kiss on the cheek and whispered in his ear, “Harry’s bringing more.” Ginny tapped his knee. “Scoot over,” she said and climbed up on the end of his bed.


Bill grinned. “It’s good to have connections.”


“And don’t you forget it.”


“So, rumor has it you want to follow in your big brother’s footsteps.”


“Well, you know, I’ve always been good with magical creatures. I think working with dragons would be really interesting,” Ginny answered cheekily.


“And hot, too,” Bill replied sarcastically through a mouthful of sausages. “Have you told Mum?”


Ginny nodded. “I sent her a letter. I haven’t heard back yet. She not real happy with me at the moment.”


Bill nodded. “She’s got her heart in the right place, Gin.”


“I know,” Ginny replied, snagging a piece of toast. “But, Bill, I do too. I’m doing the right thing.”


“We’re not talking about your career choice anymore, are we?” Bill surmised.


“No, I suppose not,” Ginny sighed, picking at the blankets with her fingertips.


Bill covered her hand with his own and squeezed. Ginny looked up and met his gaze. “Ginny, you have to do what is right for you. Mum will come around eventually.”


“You really think so?” Ginny asked skeptically.


“Well, no, but she’ll learn to live with it,” Bill admitted truthfully. “I mean, she’s finally stopped bugging me to cut my hair.”


Ginny snorted. “Major life choice, that.”


“Actually, it is,” Bill grinned. “Fleur said she’d ditch me if I cut it.”


“Well, we couldn’t have that, could we?” Ginny teased.


“Absolutely not,” Bill agreed. “Not only is she intelligent and beautiful, she’s willing to put up with you lot. That’s hard to find.”


“You can say that again,” Ginny giggled, as the door to the Hospital Wing swung open and Harry entered. “We’d better hang onto them, huh?”


“Hang onto what?” Harry asked, stretching his hand out to shake Bill’s. “How are you feeling, Bill?”


“Better,” Bill said, wincing a bit as his shoulder muscles stretched to reach for Harry’s hand. “Thanks.” Bill’s eyes traveled to Harry’s book bag slung over his shoulder then to Madam Pomfrey’s office. He waved at the nurse as she looked up from her notes. “So, Harry, any interesting books in that bag?”


“Uh, yeah, a few. Here, have a look,” he said, setting the bag down within Bill’s reach. Harry looked over his shoulder at Anna’s still form. “How is she doing?”


“Don’t know,” Bill answered, his nose in Harry’s bag, rifling through the contents. “Ah – ha,” he exclaimed in triumph, pulling out a lumpy napkin with slowly spreading grease spots on it. Shielding it with Harry’s bag, Bill unwrapped the bundle to find a couple of biscuits, some more sausages, a piece of cheese and an apple. “I asked Madam Pomfrey, but she said it was none of my concern, even when I told her Anna was my co-worker and an old friend.”


“Which brother of mine are you?” Ginny asked, wrinkling her nose as Bill shoved a biscuit into his mouth. “Wait, you know her?” she asked, taking a second look at the woman in the bed opposite Bill’s.


Bill grunted affirmatively as he took another bite of biscuit and swallowed. “You know, Ginny, you should talk to her. That is if you decide dragons aren’t your thing. She’s my new boss.”


“Dragons?” Harry asked surprised.


“Really?” Ginny asked impressed. “She’s a curse-breaker?”


“One of the best. In fact, she’s somewhat knowledgeable on Blood Bonds, too.”


“How do you know that?” Ginny asked.


“It’s a bit of a long story,” Bill said, crumpling up the napkins that had held his contraband breakfast.


“And one that will wait for another time,” Madam Pomfrey announced as she approached Bill’s bed.


Harry discreetly took the napkins from Bill as the nurse removed his breakfast tray and ran her wand up and down Bill’s body.


“Don’t you two have class? Being Head Boy does not get you out of your studies, Mr. Potter,” Madam Pomfrey said, her eyes twinkling.


“Yes, ma’am,” Harry replied, closing his book bag and slinging it back over his shoulder.


“I’ll come by later,” Ginny said, pushing herself off the bed and picking up her own bag. Ginny leaned over to give Bill a quick kiss on the cheek.


“By later, I assume that means we’ll see you around lunch?” Madam Pomfrey commented to Harry and Ginny’s retreating backs as the doors closed behind them.


+++++


“Hey Harry,” Neville said, standing up from his place at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. “You can have my seat.”


“You leaving?” Ron asked, looking up from his plate.


“Yeah,” Neville said, picking up his book bag. “Professor Sprout is letting me assist her in taking care of Greenhouse One. She’s also letting me help out with some of the first year classes and extra help sessions. I need to go to make sure everything’s ready for tomorrow.”


“Congratulations, Neville! That’s wonderful,” Hermione smiled widely at him.


“Thanks, Hermione,” Neville blushed. He turned and almost ran into Bill and Ginny walking toward the table. “Hiya Ginny. Hiya Bill,” he greeted as he passed.


“Bill! How are you feeling?” Hermione asked, scooting over to make room.


“Good,” Bill grinned at her. “Madam Pomfrey says I get to go home tomorrow. Man, are these tables smaller than they used to be?”


“Wafoean?” Ron asked through a mouthful of roll.


“Ronald!” Hermione admonished. “Don’t talk with food in your mouth. That’s disgusting!”


“Not nearly as disgusting as having a Mudblood for Head Girl.”


“Malfoy –“ Ron made the move to stand up to face the pale faces Slytherin who had come up behind Bill.


Hermione placed her hand on his arm. “Ron, don’t.”


“Hermione –“


“No, Ron, he’s not worth it.”


“And Potter, Dumbledore’s favorite,” Maloy sneered, smirking at Ron.


“Go away, Malfoy,” Harry snapped as he stood up to face Malfoy.


“You know, Potter, at least as Head Boy you’ll have a lot of more places to shag your girlfriend.”


Harry took a step toward Malfoy. Looking down his nose at him, Harry clenched his hand around his wand at his side and struggled to keep his temper.


“Take that back, Malfoy,” he growled.


“Why should I?” Malfoy taunted.


“Because if you go further, you’ll get more than just detention with Hagrid,” Harry threatened.



“You can’t do that,” Malfoy argued.



“Yes, I can,” Harry replied coldly. “I can do that…and more.”



“Harry, leave him be,” Bill said, standing up behind Harry and putting his hand on his shoulder.



Harry stood for a moment, his eyes flashing fire at Malfoy, before turning away.


“You know, Potter, you're just lucky your girlfriend’s father still has a job at the Ministry so he could keep her from getting suspended. But that won’t last long.”


“What do you mean by that?” Ginny asked, standing up and joining Bill and Harry.


“Ah, the underage witch speaks.”


Harry’s wand hand flew up. Ginny grabbed it. “No! Harry, you can’t!”


“Can’t?” Malfoy asked, his eyebrows raised.


Ron climbed over the bend and stepped in between them. “Malfoy, go away. You aren’t welcome over here.”


“Gentlemen, is there a problem?” Professor McGonagall asked as she approached the group.


“No,” Draco said, taking another step back. “No problem at all,” he smirked, his eyes lingering on Harry’s wand.


Ginny plopped down on the bench, her eyes staring unfocused on the floor in front of her. “What did he mean – Oh!” Ginny turned to Harry. “Harry, he must have found out about – your birthday gift to me,” she said, glancing at Professor McGonagall who had thankfully walked out of earshot.


Harry thought for a moment. Suddenly the picture from his second year of a certain house elf, an airborne pudding, and his aunt and uncle’s sitting room floated across his memory.


“There must have been a letter,” Harry muttered, shaking his head.


“He needs to pay,” Ron stated coldly.


“And he will,” Harry said with the utmost certainty.


“You should have just let me curse him, Hermione,” Ron said, plopping down next to his girlfriend.


“Cursing him in the Great Hall isn’t worth it,” Hermione replied, taking a sip of pumpkin juice.


“And just when will he be worth it?” Ron asked exasperated.


“Like that? Never. Lowering yourself to his level makes him your equal and Draco Malfoy will never be your equal. You have the ability to make him pay in other ways.”


Ron blinked at Hermione for a second as her words soaked in. Then, his face turned as red as his hair. Leaning over, Ron took Hermione’s face in his hands and planted his lips firmly on hers.


“You know,” Ginny said wrinkling her nose as her brother snogged his girlfriend, “if that wasn’t so truthful, I think I’d be sick.”


“Hear, hear,” Harry said lifting his glass to hers.


++++


Her bangs moved. Her forehead itched. Why wasn’t she able to scratch it? Why could she not move her fingers? She couldn’t move her arm. What was wrong with her arm? Anna tried to tell her arm to move. Move. MOVE, Dammit!


“Anna? It’s alright, Anna. Shhhh, calm down.”


Anna stopped struggling. Her bangs moved again.


Open your eyes, Anna.


Anna willed her eyelids to open. She felt the perspiration forming under her hairline at the effort. Slowly, the black became fuzzy gray. Her mouth felt like cotton. She swallowed.


Water, I need water.


Anna tried to make her eyelids blink. Or at least she thought she did. Things went black then fuzzy gray. She tried to clear her vision. She forced her eyelids open again. She screamed.


“Anna! Shhh!” Nathan clamped his hand over her mouth.


Anna clawed at his hand, fighting against his strength. “You,” she croaked. “You stay away from me!”


“Anna, let me explain!”


“No, no, NO!” she said, trying to push away from him. Tears began to leak out of her eyes which were wide and wild, and focused on Nathan. “Why won’t my arm move? Stay away!” she cried harshly.


“Anna, your shoulder is shattered. Madam Pomfrey has immobilized your arm so it can heal.”


“Madam Pomfrey?” Anna asked, trying to focus on the room. “Where am I?”


“Hogwarts,” Nathan answered quietly.


“How did I get here?” she asked suspiciously. “How long have I been here?”


“A few days. After the attack on Diagon Alley, St. Mungos was packed. I made arrangements to bring you and Bill Weasley here.”


Anna’s brow furrowed as she tried to understand. “Bill’s here? Does – does he know a – a – ab…” Anna’s voice trailed off as her eyes flashed to Nathan’s covered forearm.


“Yes, Anna, he knows. And it’s not what it looks like.”


“Where is Bill?” Anna asked, looking around the ward.


“He’s at dinner. He wasn’t as badly hurt as you were.”


Nathan ran his hand through his hair before sitting back down in the chair at the side of the bed. He tapped the blankets with his fingertips. Anna jerked her knee away, not wanting any contact with him.


“Anna, this isn’t what it looks like,” Nathan repeated.


Anna looked suspiciously at him, fighting the mounting disappointment that was crashing through her heart. She had never once thought he would change that much, not the Nathan she had met, fallen in love with and married. He was too noble, too good. He had been too noble, had been too good.


Anna ran her tongue across her parched lips. Nathan picked up a glass from the table. If she hadn’t been so thirsty, she would have fought his touch. Instead, she let him gently lift her head so she could take a sip of water from the glass he held to her lips.


“Thank you,” she said as he set the glass back on the table.


“You’re welcome.”


Nathan couldn’t meet her eyes. Anna needed to see his.


“If this isn’t what it looks like, then what is it?” she asked, her voice rusty.


Nathan looked up. What Anna read in his eyes made her heart ache.


Anna pressed her heels against the mattress and pushed herself up to a half sitting position. Nathan pulled a pillow off the neighboring bed and looked questioningly at Anna. Anna nodded and he put it behind her back, helping to prop her up. Nathan then sat back down, his head in his hands.


“I am not a Death Eater,” he whispered adamantly.


“You just dress like one?” Anna croaked.


“Yeah, no – Anna, here, see,” Nathan unbuttoned his cuff and rolled up his sleeve.


Anna took a shaky breath and stared at the Dark Mark on Nathan’s arm. She was surprised by the urge to touch it, to see if it was real.


“How?” she whispered.


“I was ambushed. A man by the name of Lucius Malfoy knocked me out and took me to see Voldemort.”


Anna shuddered at the name of the Dark Lord but didn’t say anything.


“After meeting with him, I was knocked out again. I woke up in my flat with this,” Nathan said, gesturing to his arm.


“What have you had to do?” she asked quietly.


Nathan looked at Anna. He desperately wanted to share this with her, to have her run her hand though his hair, soothing away the pain and guilt like she used to when they were first married. He needed someone to share this burden with, someone who would understand the weight he carried around in his chest. Who better than his wife? But…Anna hadn’t been his wife for a very long time.


Nathan clasped his hands between his knees and looked out the window above Anna’s bed. “I lead him to my mother.”


Anna’s heart sank.


“I had just discovered her again. I had written to her for help – with Harry and Ginny. And then I brought him to her.”


Nathan’s head sunk to the bed. His shoulders began to shake. The tears that splashed the blankets weren’t tears of anger and frustration. He was past that. These were the tears of a fourteen year old boy, left at school by his mother, to face an unknown future. These were tears of regret for moments and love missed. This was mourning for the moments they shared as adults, and for lost potential of future times. These were the tears that cleansed the soul and healed the wound so the living could carry on.


Nathan felt her gentle, hesitant touch on his head. Behind his closed eyes, he focused on the sensations of her fingers on his scalp, letting the comfort wash over him as she trailed them through his hair. His shoulders stopped shaking. His breathing slowed. He kept his forehead resting on the blankets, his chin resting on his hands, letting her help him heal.


Nathan wasn’t sure how long he stayed there. After a while, he felt Anna’s fingers slow, then stop, resting on his head. Nathan cleared his throat and lifted his head. Curled toward him, resting half on her side so she could reach him, Anna had fallen asleep. Nathan could see the silent, telltale tear tracks running down her cheeks, too. Nathan gently transferred Anna’s hand from his head to rest on her stomach. Standing up, he carefully shifted her onto to her back. He smiled slightly as she grumbled, trying to get comfortable. Anna always slept on her side, but her shoulder wasn’t going to allow that tonight. Nathan reached up and brushed her bangs to the side. Without thinking, he leaned down to place a soft kiss on her forehead.


“Sleep well, Anna,” he said backing up. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”


Stepping around the end of the bed, Nathan realized his heartache had shifted. He would always remember his mother for the amazing witch she was, and she would be with him always. But now, he had a bigger problem on his hands.


He was still in love in with his wife. He just wasn’t sure he wanted to be.



+++++



Bill meandered through the corridors of Hogwarts, his hands shoved in his pockets. Curious students glanced at him as he passed, the boys nodding in respect, the girls giggling into their robes. Being old enough to laugh at himself, Bill grinned at the flush he felt creeping up his cheeks at the attention. It’s a good thing Fleur isn’t here, he thought. She would find this hilarious. For lack of something better to do, Bill stopped in front of the Fat Lady.


“Password?” she sang.


“I have no idea,” Bill said grinning.


“Then I can’t let you in,” the Fat Lady replied, taking a second look at him. “Aren’t you a little old to be here?”


“Oh, I’m just visiting,” Bill replied, as she swung open to let a few Gryffindors out.


“I still can’t let you in,” the Fat Lady claimed, the portrait hole closing again.


“No problem. I’ll just stand here.”


“Lovely,” the Fat Lady replied sarcastically, settling herself back on her perch and examining her nails.


Bill leaned himself against the opposite wall folding his arms behind him, cocked his head to the side and smiled nonchalantly at the portrait. The Fat Lady tried to ignore him, but, quite frankly, it was really hard to ignore someone who was just so…well, cool. After five minutes, she just couldn’t take it any longer.


“You are really going to simply stand there and stare at me?”


“Yup.”


“Then I’m going visiting!” With that, the Fat Lady stood up and left her frame.


“Probably for the best, Bill. I don’t think Fleur would understand,” Nathan commented coming up the corridor.


“Nathan,” Bill smiled, extending his hand. “Good evening.”


“Good evening to you, too.” Nathan took the offered hand and shook it. “How are you feeling?”


“Well enough to go home tomorrow,” Bill said.


“Really? That is good news,” Nathan replied.


“Did you need something?”


“Well, I was planning on asking the Fat Lady for a date, but since you scared her off,” Nathan answered with a dejected look on his face, “I suppose I’ll have to settle for Harry and Ginny. Have you seen them?”


“I just left them at dinner in the Great Hall. I bet you could still find them there. What did you need?”


“I needed to touch base with them on a few things regarding their training. Perhaps I’ll go and see if I can catch them.”


“Mind if I come along? After talking to Anna, I’m rather intrigued by all of this.”


“You talked to Anna?” Nathan asked curiously as they started to head toward the Great Hall. “What did she say?”


“Uh, well,” Bill said, “she said she was familiar with Blood Bonds. And she had come by some information she was going to share with the Order. We were on our way to do that when Diagon Alley was attacked.”


“What kind of information?” Nathan asked as they descended the stairs.


“You know, I think I better have her explain it. I don’t want to muck it up.”


“Right,” Nathan said, filing away a reminder to ask Anna what she found out tomorrow in the back of his mind.


Entering the Great Hall, Nathan looked down the Gryffindor table and spotted Harry and Ginny sitting about half way down. Ginny had just finished saying something that made Harry grin. Nathan smiled. Harry is lucky to have her, he thought as he headed in their direction.


“Hi Professor Borgin,” Ginny said, looking up at him as he sat down.


“Hello Ginny,” Nathan replied, looking around the hall. “Harry. So - this is what it looks like from here.”


“Mmmf?” Harry mumbled through a mouthful of pudding.


“Well, when I was a student, I never had the opportunity to sit at the Gryffindor table. I was invited once. But even back then, Slytherins were not exactly welcomed over here and vice versa.”


Harry swallowed and wiped his mouth with his napkin, his curiosity peeked. He knew of only one good reason for eating at a house table that wasn’t your own. “What was her name?”


Nathan stopped short, realizing three sets of eyes were gazing at him with curiosity. He cleared his throat as he felt his cheeks begin to grow warm. “Uh, that’s not why I’m here.”


“What was her name, Nathan?” Bill asked, sitting down opposite him and leaning his elbow on the table and resting his chin on his hands.


“It’s not important. Now, Harry and Ginny, I’m hoping –“


“So it was a she,” Ginny deduced.


Nathan huffed. “Harry, we need to dis-“


“It’s Anna, isn’t it,” Bill said, grinning.


“Anna? Anna Patterson, the woman in the Hospital Wing?” Harry asked.


“You liked Anna Patterson,” Bill said, nodding and smiling at Nathan’s flush.


“Delightful girl, Anna Patterson,” Albus Dumbledore observed from behind Nathan, his eyes twinkling at Harry and Ginny. “Madam Pomfrey has told me she is doing quite well.”


“Good,” Nathan said. “Now, Harry and Ginny, I was hoping you could come –“


“If I remember, you and she were actually rather fond of each other while she was a student here at Hogwarts,” Dumbledore commented mildly.


“Really?” Bill said. “Rather fond? What’s rather fond?”


“I’m rather fond of Harry,” Ginny said.


“Ginny!” Harry admonished, his face turning pink.


“Exactly, Harry,” Nathan said. “I need to talk –“


“Did Anna say she was fond of Professor Borgin?” Ginny asked innocently.


“Enough!” Nathan said, placing his hands palm down on the table and pushing himself up. “Harry, Ginny, come with me. Bill, you can come if you drop the subject. Albus, I am only sparing you because you are my Headmaster. For Merlin’s sake, you are worse than the lot of them!”


Dumbledore chuckled as he watched his Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor walk purposefully toward the doors.


“So, how fond of each other were they?” Bill asked, standing up.


“Well, I think you’d better ask him that,” Dumbledore replied. “Just perhaps not tonight,” he chuckled.



+++++



Bill leaned against the bookshelves along the back wall of Nathan’s office, his arms folded across his chest. He tried to keep the grin off his face but Nathan’s glare simply encouraged him. He knew he wasn’t helping matters, so he shifted his gaze to the ceiling and started contemplating the rafters.


“Now, Madame Pomfrey has told me she fully expects your magical reserves to be at full power by mid-October. That means you need to complete the Blood Bonding as soon as you can after that. You need to find someplace here to complete the bonding – you know, someplace private, safe, that means something to both of you. That’s the first step. Ginny, in the meantime, you can start reading about the second half of this process, the healing part.”


Nathan slid a stack of books sitting on the corner of his desk over in front of her. Ginny blanched slightly at the number of texts. “All of these?” she squeaked.


Nathan chuckled. “Eventually, yes. I’ve tagged the parts you need to read first, though. Now, Harry, Professor Dumbledore has told me you agreed to allow me to help you with your Occlumency. I understand the DA has been put off until November and Quidditch practice isn’t starting up for two weeks, so I’m suggesting we start Tuesdays and Thursdays after dinner. Once Quidditch starts up, we can shift our work around as needed. Any questions?”


Harry and Ginny looked at each other and then back at Nathan, shaking their heads.


“I have a question,” Bill asked, raising his hand in the air.


Against his better judgment, Nathan raised his eyes to Bill. “What?”


“How fond of Anna Patterson are you now?” he asked with a completely straight face.



+++++



Ginny’s head nodded forward, her eyes losing focus on the book on her lap. She jerked her head back up, blinking blearily at the words on the page. Sighing, she closed the book and set it on top of the stack sitting on the table in front of her. Ginny slouched back, losing herself in the couch in front of the fire. The common room was practically empty as homework hadn’t piled up to the point where students were losing sleep over it yet. After OWLs last year, Ginny had been looking forward to a lighter load this year. So much for high hopes, she thought ruefully.


“Hey, Gin,” Harry said softly, sitting down next to her.


Ginny smiled at him and fell against him. Harry grunted as she landed on him.


“Don’t move,” Ginny mumbled into his chest.


“Alright,” Harry said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her as close as she could get. “But if I don’t move, I can’t give you your birthday present.”


“Present? For me?”


“Do you know, the last time I gave you a gift, you were exhausted and falling asleep?”


Ginny giggled. “Our timing is impeccable. So, what’s my present?”


“Well,” Harry said, shifting Ginny over so he could sit up. “I’m not sure you’re going to like it.”


“Harry, I’m going to love it because it came…from…you.” Ginny watched as Harry leaned over and lifted a stack of books off the floor and placed it next to the pile already on the table. Ginny reached out and tipped the top book toward her. “Um, thanks, Harry.”


Harry snorted. “No, really, tell me what you think.”


Ginny giggled. “Tell me about these books, Harry.”


“Well, this past summer, the Ministry said you couldn’t practice or do magic with us because you weren’t old enough. But they never said anything about you reading about magic...”


Ginny slid the top book off the stack and opened it, ruffling the pages. Harry had placed scraps of paper in between certain pages. On those pages, he had made side notes in the margins, tips on wand movement, recoil, pronunciation. On some, he had even given suggested situations on when the spell might be needed. Ginny closed the book and laid her hand on the cover. Harry had spent hours working on this gift. Ginny carefully set the book down next to her.


“I just wanted you to be prepared as the rest of us, and I didn’t think it was fair-.”


Leaning over, Ginny laid her hands on either side of Harry’s face and placed a kiss on Harry’s lips. “I love you, Harry. Thank you.”


Harry lost his train of thought and didn’t care. “I love you, too, Ginny.”



++++++


Ginny took a sip of the glass of water she’d poured. The cool night breeze sent shivers up her arms and down her spine. She had dreamt of being in the Chamber again. Ginny closed her eyes and leaned her forehead against the cold stone of the castle walls.


Catarina had been there, beckoning her forward. Her mouth had been moving, as if she was trying to tell Ginny something. Ginny hadn’t been able to hear her. Ginny had tried to tell her to speak up. She had squinted at Catarina’s lips to try to read them. When that didn’t work, Ginny had tried to step toward her but couldn’t - something had been holding her legs down, not allowing her feet to move.


Chehalis landed silently on the window ledge. Padding toward her, he bumped his head against her chin and sat down. Ginny turned her head toward the feline to find him looking at her as if he expected an apology.


“Well, I’m sorry, but you shouldn’t sleep on my legs. It’s not my fault I kicked you off the bed.”


Ginny scratched the cat behind his ears as she watched the moon dance over the school grounds. Her hand stopped in midair above the cat’s head as it dawned on her what Catarina had been mouthing.


Here.


+++++





A/N – I have to admit, I loved this chapter. It was one of those chapters that once it got started, it just flowed. The characters seem to speak for themselves. Anyhoo, thanks for reading!


Thanks to wvchemteach, Kissmegrint and Anya. You make it good!