Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Ribbons





Nathan stood outside the door to a small cottage, staring at the doorknocker. He could feel the sweat gathering beneath his collar. He swallowed. He reached out his hand toward the knocker, held it in mid-air for a second and pulled it back. His heart was beating too fast, his mouth had gone dry and the wrapping on the housewarming gift he clutched in his fist was crumpled beyond repair. He hadn’t been in this bad of shape since the last time he had asked this girl to go out with him. Nathan snorted.


“Come on, Borgin,” he said to himself. “Exactly how old are you anyway?”


“Forty-two in a couple of months,” a voice behind him answered.


Nathan whirled around, coming face to face with Anna who was clutching a cloth bag of groceries and standing at the end of the path that lead to her front door. She smiled at him.


“Come to visit?” Anna asked, digging in her pocket for her wand.


Nathan swallowed and nodded, wondering if his cheeks were as pink as they felt. “Here,” Nathan said stepping forward and taking the bag out of Anna’s hands. “Your shoulder must be feeling better. No sling.”


“It is,” Anna said, holding her left arm out straight and turning it over. “Much better. Madam Pomfrey knows her healing spells.”


Nathan chuckled. “She’s had practice.”


“Yes, I suppose she has,” Anna grinned. “Come on, I’ll show you around.”


Nathan followed Anna into a small foyer area. Anna placed her wand on the table that sat under a mirror. Shrugging off her cloak, she hung it on a hook on the back of the door. Turning to face Nathan, she held out her arms.


“Welcome to my home,” she said smiling. “You have the distinct privilege of being my first official visitor.”


“I am honored. Oh, and here. Happy Housewarming,” Nathan said, holding out the package he had brought with him.


“You didn’t have to bring me anything,” Anna said, reaching for the gift. Slipping her finger underneath the tape on the back, she smiled inwardly at the crumpled wrapping paper. Nathan was a stickler for properly wrapped packages. This many wrinkles meant she wasn’t the only nervous one standing in her front hallway. Anna pulled the paper back and grinned at the box filled with her favorite crème filled chocolates.


“I’m not sharing,” she said simply.


“Not even with your first guest?”


“Especially not with my first guest. You’ll eat the whole box!” Anna hugged the box of chocolates to her chest. “I’m going to go hide these. The kitchen is in there. Just set the bag on the block. Feel free to put the kettle on and I’ll be right back.”


Anna started up the steps at the back of the hallway and stopped half way up. “Thank you, Nathan,” she said smiling before turning and running up the rest of the steps.


“You’re welcome,” Nathan called, grinning.


Shifting the sack of groceries in his arms to a more comfortable position, Nathan looked to his left into the sitting room. Several boxes stood against the far wall still waiting to be unpacked. The opposite wall was filled with a bay window looking out over the small front garden.


A comfortable looking sofa faced a stone fireplace lined with bookshelves on either side. Nathan felt a longing to go inspect the titles on the shelves but the sound of footfalls overhead made him stop.


A brief glance down the front hallway showed the steps leading upstairs. The room opposite the staircase must be Anna’s office, he mused. Turning to his right, Nathan ducked slightly so as to not hit his head on the rafter in the doorway to the kitchen. A step down and he found himself standing at one end of a cozy room that spoke of good food and conversation. Off to the left was a half circle shaped bench surrounding the kitchen table. Stacks of cookbooks lined the back shelf above the bench, obscuring the light from the windows behind them. To the right, a large window above the sink let autumn sunlight flood the kitchen, sending yellowed streaks across the worn, scrubbed countertops. Pots of herbs sat in the window and copper bottom pots hung from a rack above an ancient looking gas stovetop. A chopping block stood in the center of the kitchen serving its purpose as an island workspace. Nathan set the bag on the block and pulled the kettle off the stovetop. He then took it to the sink, filling it with water from the tap. Placing it back on the stovetop, he reached for his wand in his pocket and lit the gas flame.


“Thank you,” Anna said, entering the kitchen. “Here, mugs are in that cupboard,” she said, nodding at the door to the right of the stove. Anna carried over a canister and a tea pot. Filling a tea ball, she dropped it in the pot and set it beside the stovetop.


“So,” Anna said, stepping back and sitting down on the kitchen table bench, “how are classes?”


“Fine,” Nathan said, pulling the steaming tea kettle off the stove, filling the pot and bringing it to the kitchen table next to the mugs he’d set there. “First years are scared of me, fifth years are convinced they know nothing, seventh years know more than I do “ so normal, I would say.”


Anna giggled. “You like teaching, don’t you.”


“Yes, I do,” Nathan said, warming his hands around his mug of tea.


“It suits you,” Anna commented. “I can tell. You’re happy.”


“Yes, I am,” Nathan said, nodding and studying the top of his tea.


“Speaking of teaching and Hogwarts, I ran into Professor Dumbledore in Hogsmeade yesterday,” Anna said, taking a sip of tea.


“Really?” Nathan answered, almost choking on his tea.


“Yes, and he invited me to a Halloween Ball at Hogwarts. He said as a past student, I would be more than welcome.”


“Oh, yes, well, that was very nice of him,” Nathan said clearing his throat. “Actually, Anna ““


“The thing is,” Anna interrupted, “I would feel rather silly going by myself and since you’re already there and have to go, would you mind being my date? I mean you wouldn’t have to dance with me, just perhaps let me stand there next to you so I don’t look totally hopeless? I feel I should go since Professor Dumbledore asked and I ““


“Yes!” Nathan said, a little louder than planned.


“Really? Yes?” Anna said smiling widely. “Brilliant!”


“Yes, it is,” Nathan replied, grinning into his mug. He would have to thank the Headmaster later. This truly was brilliant.



+++++



“Hey Ron,” Harry whispered.


Ron looked up from the library table he was sharing with Hermione, who at the present moment was lost in the stacks. “What?”


Harry dropped his book bag on the table and flipped open the front flap. He reached inside and pulled out a shoebox sized package wrapped in discreet brown paper. He placed it on the table and pushed it toward Ron. “It’s here,” he grinned.


“Really? That was fast,” Ron said, examining the return address.


“Well, I ordered from a fast, reliable source,” Harry said.


“True. Fred and George wouldn’t keep you waiting, especially when it involves Malfoy.”


“Yep,” Harry answered, picking the package back up and slipping it in his book bag. “I’ll catch you later. I’ve got an old friend to go see.”


++++


“So,” Hermione began the following morning, leaning over the table in earnest, “Have you two thought about finishing what you started this summer?”


Harry’s fork laden with eggs stopped in mid-air as he glanced at Ginny. Ginny opened her mouth to answer and was saved by an irate bellow.


“POTTER!”


Ron sprayed pumpkin juice across the table.


“Ron!” Hermione and Ginny scolded simultaneously, wiping the spatters off their jumpers.


“Sorry,” Ron muttered, glancing at Harry who was struggling to keep a straight face.



“POTTER!” Malfoy yelled, marching through the Great Hall, clutching what looked like the blanket from his bed in front of him like a cloth sack.


“Mr. Malfoy! Keep it down,” Professor McGonagall admonished as she stepped down from the head table.


All eyes in the Great Hall focused on Draco Malfoy as he came to a stop in front of Harry.


He did this,” Malfoy heaved, holding up the makeshift sack and waving it at Harry. “And if I find out how, I will ““


“Mr. Potter did what?” Professor McGonagall asked, planting her hands firmly on her hips.


“This!”


Malfoy let go of the top of the blanket. A shower of sawdust powdered the table, followed by several metal fastenings and a couple of twigs.


“Exactly what was that?” Professor McGonagall asked.


“That “ that was my new Lightening Rod, the fastest racing broom on the market. He ruined it,” Malfoy accused, jabbing his finger in Harry’s face.


Harry kept his face blank, blinking innocently at Malfoy. Hermione shoved a sweet bun in Ron’s open mouth before lifting her goblet of pumpkin juice to her lips. Ginny grabbed a toast triangle and made a show of spreading marmalade on it.


“Mr. Malfoy, where do you keep your broom?”


Malfoy sputtered. “It was in my room, but ““


“Was your broom in one piece yesterday?”


“Yes, but ““


“Is there any way Mr. Potter could have had access to your broom since you last saw it?” Professor McGonagall asked.


“No, but ““


“Mr. Malfoy, unless Mr. Potter had managed to procure a vial of Polyjuice potion from your head of house and a strand of hair from your head, then there is no possible way for him to have been able to get his hands anywhere near your broom. Twenty points from Slytherin for such false accusations. Now I would suggest you find yourself another broom, Mr. Malfoy. Your match against Ravenclaw begins in less than an hour.”


Malfoy’s mouth opened and shut like a fish out of water. He glared at Harry. “I’ll get you for this, Potter,” he sneered.


“Mr. Malfoy, unless you want another Twenty points taken, I’d suggest you get going,” Professor McGonagall advised.


Scrunching his blanket up under his arm, Malfoy gave one last searing glance at the Gryffindor table and spun on his heels.


“Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley,” Professory McGonagall said, watching Malfoy’s retreating back, “neither of you touched Mr. Malfoy’s broom, correct?”


“No, ma’am, I did not touch his broom,” Harry answered truthfully.


“Mefer,” Ron replied as emphatically as he could through his mouthful of bun.


“Very well. I suggest you all finish your breakfast. I shall see you at the Quidditch Pitch,” she said, not looking at Harry or Ron and following Malfoy out of the Great Hall.


“You ready?” Harry asked, grinning at Ginny.


“Yeah, I’m ready,” Ginny said, standing up.


Ron and Hermione followed Harry and Ginny out of the Great Hall and onto the grounds.


“Nice choice,” Ginny commented, as they walked toward the Pitch.


“I thought so,” Harry said.


“The supplier was able to accelerate the natural instincts of the insects?” Hermione asked mildly.


“Followed your suggestions to the letter,” Harry commented, taking Ginny’s hand in his own.


“Hmmm…” Hermione nodded in satisfaction. “Oh!” she exclaimed in surprise as Ron pulled her into his embrace.


“I love you,” he professed and planted a solid kiss on her lips.


“You know, normal people find a nice dark broom closet,” Ginny called in mock disgust as Harry pulled her toward the pitch.


+++++


Harry fell back into the chair in Professor Borgin’s office, his mind empty, his body exhausted. Harry had been fairly confident in his Occlumency skills when he walked into Borgin’s office for his first session with the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor several weeks ago. Two hours later, he had walked out with a massive headache and a seriously bruised ego. Ginny had become so fed up with his sour mood she’d finally snapped at him.


”Honestly, Harry! Do you think Nathan Borgin would still be alive if his Occlumency skills weren’t top notch? He’s got the Dark Mark on his arm and he’s still walking upright. For Merlin’s sake! Do you honestly think he’s sat down for tea with the Dark Lord with all his thoughts and memories floating in his head? Really!”


Harry rubbed his temples and grinned at his shoes.


“Something funny, Harry?” Borgin asked from behind his desk.


“No, not really. Just thinking of something Ginny said,” Harry said, looking up.


“Ah,” Nathan said. “Speaking of Ginny, I understand Madam Pomfrey has cleared you to resume normal magical activities.”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded.


“That is good news. I spoke to Ginny this morning after class. She said she’s ready. Are you?”


“Well, yeah, but then again, I’m not the one having to do much,” Harry said.


“True,” Nathan smiled, “in all practicality, you simply have to show up.”


Harry nodded. He had always known Ginny was a powerful witch, but his respect for her talent had grown ten fold since he’d started studying the Ancient Magic form of Occlumency known as Alienari. Professor Borgin had explained to him the literal translation of the word meant “to go out of one’s mind.” Harry had commented it sounded like he was going to go completely batty. Nathan had simply grinned and started lecturing.


Borgin had told Harry that much like traditional Occlumency, the goal of Alienari was to defend the mind against unwanted visitors. Alienari’s focus was more emotional based, believing if an accomplished Alienarius was in control of his or her pulse and thus blood flow, controlling the thoughts that flowed through his or her mind would be an easy jump. The meditation activities alone had left Harry with a much greater understanding and respect for Ginny’s ability than he had had before. Now, thinking of the ceremony that would occur in a few short days time, Harry felt a twinge of guilt at not being able to take a more active part.


“I’ve taken a look at the schedule for the Halloween festivities,” Borgin said, interrupting Harry’s thoughts. “I would think if you and Ginny were to slip out after the first or second dance, you should have enough time to perform the ceremony. Tell Ron and Hermione you need some air or something.


“Now, I’ve talked with Professor Dumbledore and Professor Snape. They’ve agreed it’s best for them to stay at the festivities to ensure nothing goes awry there. We will come with you as far as the girl’s bathroom to keep an eye on things there.”


“We?” Harry asked.


Nathan cleared his throat. “Anna Patterson and I,” he replied, his eyes daring Harry to comment. Harry grinned. “As I’m the only one with a date, we agreed it would be normal for us to ““


“Need some air?” Harry suggested innocently.


Nathan grinned. “Need some air,” he nodded. “Is that suitable?”


Harry thought about it for a moment before speaking. “Professor Borgin, I know you knew Anna Patterson in school, but how well do you know her now?”


Nathan sat back in his chair and tented his fingers. “Excellent question, Harry,” he stated, wondering how much he should share. In the end, Nathan decided Harry deserved to know who would be protecting him and Ginny for peace of mind, if nothing else. “Many years ago, I knew Anna very well,” Nathan said quietly. “Anna is my wife.”


“Your wife?” Harry repeated surprised.


Nathan nodded. “Anna and I were married a little over twenty years ago. Circumstances out of our control drove us apart. I had lost track of her until she returned to England recently.”


“So you haven’t seen her in twenty years?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“No, I haven’t,” Nathan admitted. “And normally that would send up red flags in my mind, too. She’s worked for Gringotts for as long as I can remember. The goblins don’t keep employees that can’t be trusted. Harry, her father helped Dumbledore with the blood protection that protected you at your Aunt and Uncle’s. And, I can tell you with every ounce of certainty in my body, I would trust Anna with my life. If you’d rather not have Anna there, I understand. It’s your call, Harry.”


“She’s Gringott’s head curse breaker, isn’t she,” Harry said.


Nathan nodded. “Has a few hexes that could rival Ginny’s Bat Bogey.”


“Well then, as long as Ginny’s alright with it, it’s fine with me,” Harry said.


“Good,” Nathan said, standing up. “Until the ball, then.”


“Until the ball,” Harry repeated.


+++++


The day before Halloween, Ron and Harry stumbled through the portrait hole, clutching their sides, gasping for breath.


“Did you see his face?” Ron exclaimed between guffaws as he fell into one of the overstuffed chairs in front of the fireplace.


“You were totally brilliant!” Harry exclaimed, plopping down on the sofa next to Ginny, his chest rumbling with laughter.


“So?” Ginny asked eagerly, closing her charms textbook.


“Gin, Ron was brilliant,” Harry repeated, enclosing her hand in his.


“Really?”


“Oh yeah “ Ron, you have to tell her,” Harry said, wiping at the corner of his eyes with the sleeve of his robes.


“What’d you do, Ron?” Ginny asked smiling at the two boys who couldn’t look more pleased with themselves if they tried.


“Well,” Ron said, leaning forward enthusiastically. “We were on our way back up here from dinner and McGonagall caught us and dragged us to her office where Malfoy and Snape were.”


“Malfoy was standing there, clutching his dress robes,” Harry interjected.


“Hey, Potter, it’s my story,” Ron said good naturedly.


“Sorry. Go on.”


“Anyway, Malfoy was standing there with his dress robes pointing his finger at us like we’d done something wrong.”


“Of course, we stood there, looking as innocent as we could,” Harry assured Ginny.


“And Malfoy whips open his robes that now look like Swiss cheese,” Ron chortled, “and Snape turns to Harry and asks him if he touched Malfoy’s dress robes!”


“Which, of course, I could say in all honesty with a straight face, ‘No, I did not touch them.’ “ Harry said as seriously as he could before breaking into laughter.


“And then Malfoy begins to wail about needing his dress robes for the ball and how he can’t be seen in these because they are covered with holes,” Ron gasped.


“And Ron looks at him and says, ‘I’ve got an extra set of dress robes you can use, Malfoy. They’re a little ruffled, but I’m sure they’ll be fine.’ And Professor McGonagall tells Malfoy to shut it and Ron to send the old dress robes down!” Harry finished, grinning. “I don’t know who looked more ill, Malfoy or Snape!”


“I have to go find Hermione. Want to come, Harry?” Ron asked, pushing himself out of the chair.


“No, no, you go,” Harry waved. “I’m going to sit here for bit.”


“She’s in the library, Ron,” Ginny said.


“Thanks. Nice one, Mate.” Ron gave Harry a high five and headed out of the portrait hole again.


“So, the same spell used to speed up the termites worked on the moths, eh?” Ginny commented, snuggling against Harry. “Where do you suppose Hermione learned it?”


“Don’t know. Don’t want to know. I’m just glad she’s on our side,” Harry said leaning his head against the back of the sofa.


Ginny chuckled. “Me, too.”


Watching the flames dance in the fireplace, Harry let the soft strands of Ginny’s hair fall through his fingers. Leaning over, he rested his lips on the top of her head. “So…you ready for tomorrow?”


“I don’t know,” Ginny answered uncertainly.


Harry sat up straight. ”What do you mean? What’s wrong?”


“Well, I haven’t checked my dress robes yet,” she giggled, her eyes twinkling. “I might need to see if I can borrow Ron’s if Malfoy isn’t using them.”


“Ginny!” Harry deflated. “Don’t do that me!”


“Sorry, Harry. Couldn’t resist. Yes, I’m ready. You?”


“Yeah, I’m ready,” Harry said, looping his arms around Ginny and pulling her close. Kissing her softly, Harry sunk deeper into the couch and closed his eyes, letting the soft warmth of Ginny and the flickering flames of the fire lull him to sleep.


+++++


“Ron! Have you seen my socks? Where are my socks? I can’t find my socks!” Harry yelled into his trunk. Standing up, his fists clenched at his side, Harry glared around the room in search of his missing footwear.


“They’re probably with my tie!” Ron complained, throwing back his blankets in search of it.


“Your tie is in your bed, Weasley?” Seamus asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively.


“Shut it, Finnegan,” Ron shot back, throwing the blankets back in place..


“Ah ha!” Harry cried from somewhere under his bed. “Got ‘em!”


“My tie, too?” Ron asked hopefully.


Popping up from the floor, Harry threw Ron’s tie at him and sat down the edge of his bed to pull his socks on his bare feet.


“Alright, how do I look?” Ron asked, adjusting his collar and tie.


“Fine,” Harry said, hopping up and down as he shoved his feet into his shoes.


“You didn’t even look, Mate,” Ron accused him.


Harry glanced up as he stomped his heels down, feeling them slide into his shoes. “Fine, Ron. You look fine. Come on, we’re late.”


Clasping the collar of his dress robes shut, Harry flew out of the room behind Ron who took the steps two at a time. Nearing the bottom step, Harry glanced up, his foot in mid air, his mind shutting down, his mouth dropping open. The next step was a blur as Harry’s foot missed it, his body weight carrying him flailing forward into the floor of the Common Room. As his body landed, Harry's face hit stone with a slap. Harry groaned.


“Smooth, Potter, really smooth,” Dean said, stepping over Harry’s sprawled form.


“You alright, Harry?”


Harry placed his palms on the ground and pushed himself up off the floor, wincing at the tingling pain radiating from his cheek. He knew his face was as red as his Gryffindor patch, but he didn’t care as he met the eyes of the vision that caused his downfall. Beautiful didn’t even come close to how Ginny looked. Her eyes were twinkling merrily at him and he could tell she was fighting to keep from laughing. Harry chuckled.


“Yeah, I’m fine,” he said, standing up and brushing his robes off. “You’re “ you’re beautiful.”


Ginny did laugh then, her cheeks turning pink with pleasure. “Thank you. And you’re ““


“Clumsy,” Ron interjected, bumping Harry in the shoulder. “Enough with the sap. Let’s get going. There’s a feast to be feasted upon!”


“Really, Ron,” Hermione admonished, rolling her eyes.


“What? There is! Am I wrong, Harry?” Ron said, pulling his date toward the portrait hole.


“No, you’re not wrong,” Harry said to Ron, before murmuring to Ginny, “not that I think I can eat any of it.”


“I know what you mean,” Ginny whispered back. “Come on. The sooner we don’t eat, the sooner we can slip away.”


“Right,” Harry replied before following Ron and Hermione out of the portrait hole.


+++++


Waiting for Ginny to return from the powder room after the feast, Harry felt a tug on his dress robes and looked down.


“Harry Potter, sir?”


“Dobby! How are you?”


“Dobby is honored that Harry Potter would ask about Dobby’s health, although Dobby thinks Harry Potter might want to ask about someone else’s health first.”


“Oh?” Harry asked, raising his eyebrows.


“Yes, Harry Potter, sir. I believe someone will be missing the ball this evening.”


“Really?” Harry said, beginning to smile. “And where would that someone be?”


“I believe he is in the hospital wing, sir, covered with bites of some sort.”


“Ant bites?”


“Well, that is what Madam Pomfrey thinks. However, the ants are nowhere to be found. Dobby believes the fire ants which may have been in his bed may have found their way outside.”


“Well, that is a disappointment, isn’t it, Dobby,” Harry nodded seriously.


“Yes, Harry Potter, sir, it most certainly is. Dobby hopes Harry Potter has a good time at the ball.”


“I will, Dobby. Thank you, I will.”


“No, sir,” Dobby said smiling widely, “thank you.”


+++++



“I’ll just be a minute,” Ginny said over her shoulder as she hurried up the steps to the girls’ dormitory.


Nathan looked around the Gryffindor Common Room in wonder. “I’ve never been in here.”


“Really?” Harry said, glancing at Anna.


“Don’t look at me,” Anna replied, “I invited, he refused. Something about protecting my virtue,” she teased.


“Anna!” Nathan exclaimed.


Despite his nervousness, Harry grinned. He liked Anna. And judging by the fact that Nathan’s eyes had hardly left his date throughout dinner, Harry was pretty sure Professor Borgin liked Anna, too.


“Got it,” Ginny said, coming down the steps with a cloth wrapped bundle.


“Do you need the notes?” Harry asked concerned.


“No,” Ginny said, smiling confidently at him. “I’m fine.”


“Then let’s go,” Nathan said, motioning toward the portrait hole.


++++


Moaning Myrtle hovered above the second stall, glaring murderously at Anna who was ignoring her. Anna had temporarily stunned the ghost before Harry opened the Chamber. Nathan had felt it was in their best interest if Myrtle was put out of commission so she couldn’t float off and tell anyone what was going on. The stunner Anna used made Myrtle unable to do anything more than float where the air in the room blew her. It had also, thankfully, rendered her silent. It did not, however, keep her from glaring at the two of them. Anna made a mental note to never enter this bathroom again. Based on the looks she was receiving, Anna would have bet Myrtle was spending her imposed silent time determining the best way to make Anna her new roommate.


Leaning against the wall, Anna instead kept her eyes focused on Nathan who was pacing up and down in front of the stalls. Anna watched him, walk five paces down, pause, turn, then walk five paces back.


“Nathan?”


“What?” he barked, whirling about.


“Nathan, it’s going to be fine,” she said softly, stepping over and putting her hand on his arm.


Nathan looked at the hand, feeling the comforting pressure through his robes. Slowly he brought up his own hand and covered hers. “I know, I know. This just has to work this time.”


“I know,” Anna said. “It will. You yourself said Ginny is ready. Anyone could see the power radiating off her tonight. Professor Dumbledore placed special wards around this floor so anyone even thinking of heading this direction would suddenly have a strong urge to return to the dance. And I’ve got a few new hexes up my sleeve just in case, although to be honest, it sounds like our role is more that of chaperone than of honor guard. Nathan - this will work.”


Nathan looked down into Anna’s upturned face. She looked at him so calmly and with such trust, he just could not help but relax. “Thank you,” he nodded, his eyes traveling to a stray curl escaping the clip that pulled her hair off her shoulders. Reaching out, he tucked it behind her ear.


Anna caught her breath as his fingers brushed her cheek. “You’re welcome,” she whispered.


Time stopped for a moment, as their eyes met. Anna blinked and bit her bottom lip. Nathan felt his heart leap. Without thinking, Nathan stepped behind a partial wall and pulled Anna with him.


“Nathan! What are you doing?” Anna exclaimed, falling into Nathan’s chest.


“Hiding,” Nathan said, his eyes focusing on Anna’s mouth.


“Why?” Anna asked breathlessly, her heart beginning to race.


“Because I don’t think professors should engage in public displays of affection in front of students,” he said, gently brushing Anna’s cheek with the back of his hand.


“Huh?” Anna said.


“I’m going to kiss you, Anna Patterson Borgin,” Nathan said, lowering his lips to hers. “And I’d rather do it without an audience, alive or otherwise.”


“Oh.”


++++++


“Do you remember this?” Ginny asked, standing hand in hand with Harry in the middle of the Chamber of Secrets.


“Every detail. You?” Harry asked, squeezing her hand.


“Every detail,” Ginny repeated quietly. “It’s odd, though, Harry,” she said, turning to look at him. “I was expecting to walk in here and have it all overwhelm me. But having seen Catarina in here, in my dreams, it’s almost as if I know this place can’t hurt me again because she’s here and you’re here and Tom’s not.”


Harry’s eyes focused on the walls, as he shook his head. “I will never forget seeing you on this floor dying, and Tom Riddle standing over you.”


“I’m truly sorry, Harry,” Ginny whispered, her eyes falling to the floor.


“Ginny, it’s not your fault,” Harry said, lifting her chin up with his finger. “It never was. I was never angry at you. I love you,” he said leaning forward to place a soft kiss on her lips.


“I love you, too, Harry.”


“Now, we’d better get started. I can’t have you turning into a pumpkin.”


“A what?”


“Sorry, Muggle fairytale. I’ll explain later.”


“Right,” Ginny nodded. “Okay, kneel down.”


Ginny placed the cloth wrapped bundle on the ground next to her and carefully folded back the material. Reaching down, she picked up the smooth, polished silver blade, feeling the coolness seep into her palm. Merlin, she missed Catarina.


“Ginny?” Harry said softly.


Ginny met his gaze, blinking the mist in front of her eyes away. Taking a deep breath, she smiled and held out her hand. Harry turned his hand palm up and placed it in hers.


“I know,” Harry said smiling, “don’t move.”


Ginny giggled. “Right. Don’t move.”


Ginny placed the tip of the blade against the freshly healed scar marking Harry’s palm. Smoothly, she drew it across, redness following silver. As before, Harry was amazed that there was no pain. In turn, Ginny switched the knife to her left hand and reopened the cut on the fleshy part of her palm. Harry held his hand out in front of him, meeting Ginny’s. Ginny wrapped a white silk ribbon around them, tucking the ends in, binding their hands.


“Now, Harry, just as before, relax and open yourself up to me. Just breathe deep and let me in,” Ginny said calmly.


Ginny watched as Harry’s eyes closed and she smiled at how her heart swelled until it ached. Closing her own eyes, Ginny sought herself, her inner being that made her who she was, the core that spoke of her power to simply be. Finding the anchor, she centered herself around the light within, reveling in her mind at the sight of the ribbons straining in multiple directions. Slowly, she calmed them, directed them and sent them forth to find their other anchor.


Having done this before, Ginny was prepared for the surge when her blood flowed with Harry’s. Catarina had said it would be this way, between her and Harry. Power had a way of magnifying the reaction. Love had a way of intensifying it. She felt the tug in her chest as the weaving began, the braiding and twining of power and blood. The brightness glowed around them as she began to speak the simple spell.


”Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
Our Bond Everlasting


Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
To heal you, To help you


Blood into Blood
We become One
Of heart, Of Flow


Blood into Blood
Our powers united
Our Bond Everlasting”




Ginny felt the warmth flow from Harry into her as the ribbons became entwined, binding them magically, heart and soul. Light from their bound hands filled the Chamber, forming a stream that raced through the cavern, coming together to form the fabric that bound their two bodies. The light wrapped itself around them, head to toe, shielding them, protecting them. Ginny felt the bond stretch taught and tight. She directed the light that had woven around them like a blanket into a single, lightening bright ribbon and sent it into their bond. The fabric stretched, becoming thin, then snapped back, whole and resilient, as it absorbed the light, strengthening itself with its own magic.


The light faded and Ginny found herself floating back to her center, happiness bubbling up from inside her. The pull was there, but it was different. It wasn’t free floating anymore. It was connected. It was safe. It was strong. Slowly, Ginny opened her eyes.


“Harry?” she said quietly.


Harry’s eyes were closed and a smile gradually spread across his face. “If I open my eyes, will I see this when I close them again?” he asked.


Ginny smiled, a flood of love pouring out of her heart as she reached up to untie the ribbon. “From what Catarina said, you will always be able to see it, if you know where to look.”


Harry opened his eyes and blinked at her. “Where do I look?”


Ginny leaned forward and placed her palm over Harry’s heart. “Right here,” she whispered.


Harry covered her hand with his and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her against his chest. “I love you, Ginevra Weasley.”



“I love you too, Harry Potter.”


“I’m getting blood on your robes.”


Ginny snorted against his chest. “Nice, Harry. Really nice.”



++++


“I think Dean spiked the punch,” Ron grumbled, looking at the bottom of his cup.


“Nope, sorry,” Dean answered from behind him. “I tried. Flitwick caught me. How he can see over the tabletop is beyond me, but he did. Lost ten points. Why?”


“Well,” Ron said, glancing over his shoulder at the dance floor and grimacing, “Professor Borgin is holding hands with his date and I think I just saw Harry snog Ginny.”


“Well, Ron,” Hermione said, “Harry did say Professor Borgin and Anna are married. And Harry and Ginny have been going out for a while now. I’m sure a kiss isn’t out of the question.”


“Professor Borgin is married? To Miss Patterson?” Neville piped up, looking around Ron to the dance floor.


“Okay, did anyone hear the second part of what I said? Harry kissed Ginny on the dance floor. Harry Potter. My sister. I’m feeling ill,” Ron said, setting his punch cup down on the table nearby.


Hermione rolled her eyes.


“No, really, Hermione,” Ron said, “I mean, with Harry as Ginny’s boyfriend, I was pretty assured of not having to witness such blatant public displays of affection.”


“Such as snogging your girlfriend at breakfast?” Neville asked innocently.


Hermione blushed as Ron nodded emphatically. “Exactly. I mean, Harry would never do that. And here he is, snogging my little sister on the dance floor. I need some air.”


Hermione shook her head as she watched Ron’s retreating back. Her gaze traveled over to the dance floor where a striking couple held each other close, eyes closed, swaying to the music.


“Are you coming, Hermione?” Ron called.


“Yes, I’m coming,” Hermione sighed, before following, her eyes lingering on Harry’s hand that clasped Ginny’s and held it to his heart.


“Hermione!”


“Coming, Ron,” Hermione said smiling, turning to follow her own heart.


Harry and Ginny swayed on the dance floor, heart to heart, oblivious to the world around them, tied together by the ribbons of love that now bound them.




++++







A/N “ All together now “ FINALLY!  I hope it was worth the wait!


And for all of you who’ve so desperately wanted revenge on Malfoy, either one, here’s a start. Hope it satisfied!



Once again, thanks to my amazing beta/collaborators, wvchemteach & Anya.