Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer – I do not own Harry Potter.



Holes





Anna leaned against the kitchen sink, a cool glass of water pressed to her cheek. Her eyes closed, she attempted to think of anything except the waves rolling up and down, back and forth in her stomach. She took a small sip of water and felt it drop into the ocean of hormone induced nausea. It sizzled and stayed. She sighed.


Madam Pomfrey told her there wasn’t anything she could do. Women had been having babies for centuries and it didn’t seem to matter if you were Muggle or magical, morning sickness was incurable. Anna snorted. Morning sickness - what a misnomer that was! Her stomach obviously had no idea how to tell time. Here it was, sometime around two in the afternoon, and she was fighting to keep a couple of soda crackers down.


Madam Pomfrey had said the intensity of morning sickness was often similar from mother to daughter. For that, Anna was grateful. She could remember her mother saying it started early with her but was done by the second trimester. Anna would be there in another four weeks or so. Setting her glass of water down on the counter, Anna let her head fall forward and concentrated on calming her stomach. She glanced down at her knuckles, white with frustration, and felt her stomach lurch again. Groaning, she placed her hand over her middle and closed her eyes.


Several minutes later, Anna felt a little more centered. Picking up her water, she wandered out of the kitchen and into the main hallway of the flat. She liked the little flat located in the West Tower, one floor below the Owlery, most likely because it was their new home, together. Nathan’s old rooms had been one floor below, but Professor Dumbledore had noted their combined libraries alone would have filled up those rooms. So, over the course of the past week, Anna, along with the help of many, had packed up her little cottage. Nathan had then packed up his flat and moved his belonging upstairs along with hers. The only thing left to do with her little cottage was a bit of spot cleaning and changing the unlocking charms on the door.


Anna crossed the hallway and sat down in front of the fireplace. She leaned back, enjoying the warm glow of the embers on her face. Their slipping into cohabitation had gone rather smoothly, all things considered. When he had sat up on the kitchen floor, surrounded by suspense, Nathan’s eyes had looked up into hers. Then down to her stomach. Then up to her eyes. And down to her stomach.


”Really?” he’d asked, his tone unreadable as Percy handed him a lumpy towel.


Crouching down so she was on eye level with him, Anna nodded, her eyes searching his for a reaction, her brow furrowed with uncertainty.


“Wow,” he said slowly, nodding back, slowly lifting the ice pack to his head.


“Really?” Anna said.


“Yeah,” Nathan said, his eyes lighting up, his mouth widening, his delight beginning to shine. “Wow,” he repeated.


“Yeah, wow,” Anna whispered joyfully, her response almost drowned out by applause and laughter as hugs were exchanged and hands were shaken.



The next day, Nathan had been so nervous when he asked her to move into the castle. She could hear the crinkling of parchment in his robe pocket where his right hand had been hidden. She knew his hand had been fisted around a list of carefully thought out arguments as to why she was better off living in the castle, preferably with him, than on her own in her cottage. The fact he had asked and not simply assumed, especially in light of the baby, had touched her deeply.


“Anna!” Nathan hollered from down the hall.


“Coming,” she said, sitting up and waiting for the nausea. It seemed to have passed. She sighed gratefully and stood up, following Nathan’s voice into the room that would be their study. She stopped on the threshold, her hands on her hips, cocking her head to the side. Her heart flip flopped and she felt a goofy smile spread from ear to ear as she watched her husband. Her husband. She wondered how long it would take until she quit feeling like she was playing dress up saying this was her husband. It had been so many years since she could use those words in reality. And there he was, cross legged in the middle of stacks of her books - books he was supposed to have spent the past hour unpacking and putting onto the shelves behind him.


“You never told me you had a complete set of the Anthology of Blood Boiling. This is even a first edition! Signed by the author,” Nathan said, flipping through the texts with enthusiasm.


Anna chuckled. “I know that, Nathan. I worked with him. He gave them to me -”


“Oh, and look at this one,” Nathan said, holding up a palm sized, green leather bound volume. “The Pocket Guide to Hex Deflection! I could use this in class.”


“Nathan, we’re –“


“And this one. Do you know what this is? This is mint edition of Leydon Langley’s memoirs from his trips through Asia. Fascinating discussions on the tombs of the Ming Dynasty Emperors in China. You know, I heard once, the curses they put on the urns alone would send an unsuspecting grave robber right through the tomb wall.”


“You forgot one,” Anna said dryly, nodding to the box in front of him.


“I did?” Nathan said, dropping Langley’s You Can Look but You’d Better Not Touch!, and tipping the box toward him. “Oh, how could I have missed that?” He said, reaching in to grab the last book.


Anna smiled and shook her head. “Nathan,” she began, “we’re unpacking. Not reading. Unpacking. You remember classes start back up day after tomorrow? It would be nice to be done with this by then.”


“I know, I know,” Nathan answered, enthusiastically. “But, Anna, look, do you know what this is?” he said, tapping the book he’d pulled out of the box, “this is a copy of The History of -”


“Nathan,” Anna interrupted, weaving her way through the piles and kneeling down in front of him. “You do realize all these books, which I can tell you’ve put into piles of what you are going to read first, next and last, are all staying here, too? Along with me? We’re a package deal?”


“I know,” Nathan grinned, “isn’t it great? I mean, here, this volume of -”


“Nathan, unpack! Shelve! Or you won’t like the consequences. I’ve taught Ginny a new hex and she needs practice.”


“Ginny’s here?” Nathan asked looking around.


“No, Ginny’s not here,” Anna said, rolling her eyes. “She and Harry left half an hour ago. But I could get her back here. Fast.”


Nathan chuckled and pushed off the ground. “You don’t want to do that.”


“And why not?”


“Because I’d rather give this to you and only you,” Nathan replied, reaching over to pick up a box from on top of the nearest stack of books. “Here.”


Anna took the box and looked curiously up at him. She pulled the navy blue ribbon off and let it slide to the floor. Carefully lifting the lid, she saw a folded piece of parchment inside. Anna set the box down on the table next to her and picked up the parchment. Unfolding it, she studied it for a moment. She turned it over and snorted.


“Well, I just want to make sure you are able to find our rooms when you get back from work. I’d hate to have you wander off and end up walking in on Filch or Snape or some other poor unsuspecting sta-oof!”


Anna swatted him in the stomach with the map of Hogwarts. Nathan pulled her toward him, smiling widely. He placed a kiss on her nose. “Always make a map and never lead the expedition,” he teased. “But, there’s something else in the box, too.”


Anna looked over her shoulder and saw folded rice paper. Reaching down, she lifted up the edge. Her heart leapt. Maybe it stopped. She wasn’t sure. She knew her breathing had. Her eyes became moist with tears and she swallowed. Nathan reached around her and picked up the small gold band. Gently taking her left hand in his, he slid her wedding band on her ring finger for the second time.


“Anna Elizabeth Patterson Borgin, will you be my wife? Again?” Nathan asked softly.


Anna blinked rapidly at the gold band, stunned he would have kept it after all these years. She said the first thing that came to mind. “You’re kidding, right?”


Nathan’s face fell. He dropped her hand. Anna looked up, startled by his reaction.


“No, I’m not kidding!” he said indignantly.


“What? Oh, crap,” Anna said. “I meant about keeping the ring. I would have thrown it in the Nile if I were you. Oh, Nathan,” she said, placing her palm against his cheek and directing his eyes to hers, “of course I’ll be your wife. I am your wife. I’ll always be your wife. I’m honored to be your wife.”


Nathan rolled his eyes and snorted.


“In my defense,” Anna said grinning, “it beats my answer the first time you asked me.”


“You didn’t answer the first time I asked you. You hexed me. I smelled like a skunk for a week.”


“You put the ring in a casket key box, Nathan.”


“I know, but I thought it was pretty. And old. And something you would like. How was I supposed to know you would have thought the thing was still rigged with poisonous darts left by some long dead wizard who wanted to guard against anyone stealing his key? Besides,” Nathan said, pulling her close again, “you kept it. I unpacked it earlier.”


“Details, details,” Anna said, her eyes twinkling as she wrapped her arms around Nathan’s middle. “If you kept mine, I’m assuming you kept yours, too?”


Nathan held up his left hand to reveal a matching gold band.


“Very nice, Professor Borgin,” Anna said softly.


“Thank you, Chief Hexologist Borgin,” Nathan replied, leaning down to kiss her. “Same to you.”


“You need to unpack,” Anna said, tilting her head to the side as Nathan nuzzled her neck.


“Mmm,” Nathan said, nipping at the soft skin behind her ear.


Unpacking could wait. After all, Anna wasn’t going anywhere this time.



+++++



“Oh, excuse me,” Ginny said, side stepping a small, moving bundle of greens as it scurried down the corridor.


“Our many pardons, Miss,” a moving voice came from somewhere under a collection of metallic colored balls and silver tinsel which was closely following the moving evergreens.


Bending over so she could get a good look, Ginny could see the hem of two tea towels and four oversized feet, two adorned with mismatched socks, scurrying on their way to put away the rest of the holiday decorations before the start of term.


“Happy New Year, Dobby!” she called.


“My apologies! Happy New Year, Miss Wheezey!” the pile of ornaments called back.


Pulling her cloak tighter, Ginny continued on her way to the Gryffindor common room. The snow, which had started before Christmas, had continued, swirling up into icing like drifts and chilling the walls of the castle, inside and out. Ginny had spent the past few days helping Anna pack up her cottage and watching Neville and Joanna become deeply enamored with each other. She had tried not to be too obvious about it, but she could not help feeling a surge of excitement every time she caught them smiling or laughing or, as was the case last night, returning to the common room, hair a little mussed, faces a little flushed, holding hands. When she had mentioned this to Nathan this morning, he said it was probably time to say something.


“Hi, Ginny,” Anna greeted, as she passed her on the Grand Staircase. “Where are you off to this morning?”


“Good morning, Anna,” Ginny smiled. “I’m looking for Neville and Joanna.”


“Ah,” Anna nodded. “Nathan told me. Mind if I give you a little advice?” she asked, stopping in the middle of the steps in front of Ginny.


“No, I don’t mind,” Ginny answered.


“Focus on them,” Anna cautioned, “not on you. I know what you have with Harry is wonderful and good and full of love and that’s smashing. But Neville and Joanna – their relationship is so new. They have no idea if they’ll even be going out next week. The thought of doing something like this might be totally overwhelming at this stage. They may look at you like you’ve gone totally over the edge to even suggest they do something that will link them together in some manner for the rest of their lives. It’s a big step.”


Ginny opened her mouth to protest. Who wouldn’t want to do this? Then, she closed it again. Anna had a good point. Her enthusiasm could very well scare them off. Ginny nodded.


“But you know, Ginny,” Anna smiled, touching the younger girl’s arm, “Nathan’s right. There isn’t anyone better to teach Joanna than you. You should be very proud.”


Ginny flushed. “Thank you.”


“You’re welcome,” Anna grinned. “Alright, enough seriousness – I have unpacking to do.”


”Do you need more help?” Ginny asked.


“Yes!” Anna exclaimed. “Keep Nathan occupied as long as possible. I’ll get so much more done if he’s not about. He’s horrible – has to read everything, inspect everything, ask questions about everything. It’s not like he won’t have the next hundred years to do that!”


Ginny grinned. “We’ll do our best.”


“Thank you, I appreciate it,” Anna said. “I think I’ve got everything over here from the cottage. I need to go back to have another look around, but the end is near. Thank goodness. I hate packing and unpacking. Always have,” Anna said, waving at Ginny over her shoulder as she descended the stairs. “Good luck!”


“Same to you,” Ginny called, turning to continue her climb up to the seventh floor.


Mulling over Anna’s advice, Ginny didn’t notice the flash of green or the satisfied smirk slink off into the shadows.



++++



“Found anything yet?” Neville asked hopefully.


“No – ah, here – damn, no,” Joanna sighed frustrated as she flipped pages as fast as she could. “I’m really sorry, Neville. I had no idea –“


“That’s alright,” Neville said, cradling his right hand in his left. “It only grows in the winter under snow. You couldn’t see the patch. Blends right in, after all. Amazing camouflage. Makes it really hard to find.”


“So what you’re trying to say is I have developed an uncanny knack for finding poisonous plant life?” Joanna said, scanning the lines on the page in front of her.


“No,” Neville said, “you have developed an uncanny knack for finding hard to find poisonous plant life.”


Joanna giggled. “And that is so much better, isn’t it?”


Neville grinned, his heart giving a little leap at the sound of her laughter. At the sound of the portrait hole opening, he looked over his shoulder.


“Hiya Ginny,” he called.


“Hi, Neville,” she answered, smiling at Neville’s bright eyes and flushed cheeks. Normally, Ginny would have chalked his heightened color to the cold, especially since she noticed his discarded cloak, gloves and scarf on the cushions next to him. But judging by who was taking up cushion space on the his other side, she knew better. “Hi Joanna. You are just the two – what happened to your arm?” she asked, sitting down in the chair opposite them.


“Did you know, Ginny,” Joanna asked, her eyes not leaving the book in her lap, “that Bruma Albatus Clover grows only in the winter? That it is white and when scooped up can leak its poison into a packed snowball?”


“Uh, no, I didn’t,” Ginny replied honestly, fighting a smile.


“Yes, it does. And that poison, when it contacts skin, causes really painful boils, as you can see demonstrated by Neville there,” Joanna said. “Ah-ha! Found it,” she exclaimed, punctuating the page with her finger. “Bruma Albatus Clover, also known as Winter White Clover, only blooms in frigid temperatures –“


“It got through your gloves?” Ginny interrupted, glancing over at the ones sitting on the cushion and noticing Neville’s blush deepening.


“He’d taken off his glove,” Joanna said, as she scanned the paragraphs, “to hold my hand then blocked the snowball with it – here we go – once the leaf or stem is broken, the poison uses snow as a vehicle to distribute itself – now it tells us,” Joanna snorted. “It is of utmost importance to apply a Bruma Albatus repellant immediately following the first frost…avoid skin contact – no joke. If the poison does come into contact with skin, contact St. Mungo’s immediately. Well, isn’t that of the utmost help!” Joanna scoffed, slamming the book shut.


“Why didn’t you go see Madam Pomfrey?” Ginny asked.


“She’s gone for the afternoon,” Neville said, wincing as he turned his hand. “Off to visit her sister in Aberdeen.”


Ginny leaned forward to take a look at Neville’s hand. The skin was stretched taught, red and irritated, and blistered with pockets of whitish pus. “You know, I was coming to get you because Professor Borgin wants to see you. He might be able to help.”


Joanna met Neville’s eyes and shrugged. “Beats sitting here watching the blisters get bigger.”


“Okay,” Neville nodded. “He wants to see both of us?”


“Uh, yes,” Ginny answered, standing up. “Both of you, along with Harry and me,” she said, climbing out of the portrait hole. “He’s waiting for us in his office.”


++++


The box on the desk was brown. It was wooden. It had a carving of a dragon on the top. The dragon resembled a Knucker Dragon. Neville had read about them in one of the books Gran kept on the table in front of the sofa in the formal living room. Knuckers liked wet woodland areas. They ate rabbits, cattle and stray children. They had small wings but were unable to fly.


They didn’t have a bond. He did – or he could. He and Joanna. Neville’s heart gave a little flip as he dropped his gaze from the box on Nathan’s desk to his hands, clasped tightly in his lap. Neville’s hand was blissfully numb. And so was the rest of him. The past week had been the best of his life. Or at least his recent life. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Joanna’s heel tapping rapidly on the rug. He didn’t dare look at her. He didn’t know how to react to her - to himself - to the news. Part of him was scared; another, excited. He wasn’t sure he could bear it if she didn’t feel the same. He closed his eyes.


Joanna pushed her palm on her knee. It wouldn’t stop. Her hand bounced up and down. Shaking her head, she stood up. She counted the shelves behind the desk, four up, four across. She sat back down. She blinked rapidly, swallowing the tears swelling her throat. This wasn’t happening. This wasn’t fair. She had finally – finally! - found a boy who was everything she could ask for and now…now this? He wasn’t saying anything. He must be thinking this was awful, that he was tied to her for the rest of his life. They didn’t even know how they felt about each other! Joanna’s bottom lip began to tremble as she closed her eyes against the tears.


Ginny felt Harry’s hand on her arm and she looked up. He motioned his head toward the door of Nathan’s office. She glanced at Joanna and Neville, then back at Harry who had moved silently through the door. She felt the rumblings of frustration at a situation out of her control building. She felt Nathan touch her elbow and push her toward the door. She pulled her elbow back but Nathan was firm and steered her out of the office.


“Argh!” Ginny muttered.


“Ginny?” Harry asked, watching her stomp up the isle between the desks, her hands fisted at her side.


“Anna warned me this might happen,” Ginny said aggravated.


“She did?” Nathan said surprised.


“Yeah,” Ginny sighed dejectedly, plopping down in one of the seats. “Well, sort of. She said we should focus on them. We focused on them, didn’t we?”


“Yeah, I think so,” Harry said, sitting down at the desk in front of Ginny.


“I didn’t seem too enthusiastic, did I?” Ginny asked concerned.


“No, you were fine,” Nathan answered.


“Maybe it was too soon? Maybe we should have waited?” Ginny asked desperately seeking an explanation for Neville and Joanna’s less than enthusiastic reception of the news.


Harry reached forward and gently laid his hand on Ginny’s arm. Ginny automatically closed her eyes and soaked up Harry’s touch. She felt her insides settle, the sense of confusion easing as a comforting sense of rightness filled her. Ginny opened her eyes and exhaled.


“We did the best we could,” Nathan said quietly, his eyes on the door to his office. “They needed to know. If a Mediator and her bond never meet, there really is no change in their lives. However, when a Mediator meets her bond and feels that pull, she will feel the yearning for the rest of her life. Should she choose not to pursue the bond, then she can make the conscious decision to shut that part of her life up, although, I can remember my mother saying that it’s practically impossible to do. In fact, it almost is better to simply go through with the bond than to have to live life with a sense that something is always missing, as if you are not complete. That feeling, along with knowing exactly what is missing, can drive a Mediator mad. It makes for a very sad, miserable life.”


Ginny’s eyes bored into the wood of Nathan’s office door, as if staring at it with great intensity would allow her to see through it.


Inside the office, Joanna let go a shuddering breath and stood up. She cursed her inability to think on her feet. Whatever she was about to say, she just knew it was going to come out wrong. But she couldn’t stay in here any longer. She needed to go and think.


“Neville,” she said, her spine ram rod stiff, her eyes aimed straight ahead, not seeing anything, only feeling the ache filling her body, “I’m sorry. I didn’t –“


“It’s not your fault,” Neville spoke, his voice husky with emotions he couldn’t name.


Joanna wanted to say it was, but from what she now understood, it wasn’t. She nodded and stepped away from her chair. “The past week has been really wonderful,” she whispered to the air in front of her. “Thank you.”


“Joanna – wait, I – I’m –“ Neville watched helplessly as Joanna stepped through the open office door, leaving him alone with his confusion. “I’m not mad,” he whispered to the empty doorway.


Ginny’s eyes followed Joanna as she ran from Nathan’s office. Joanna’s right hand shielded her eyes while her left was held up as a barrier between her and the rest of them. She flew past Harry, Ginny and Nathan, out of the classroom and into the corridor. Three pairs of eyes turned to the office door which closed with a decisive click, telling them there would be no more discussion on this topic today.


++++


Elphias Doge never saw it coming. When it was whispered about afterward, some would say it was cruel. Others would shrug and say it was war. If a wizard chose to become involved, as Elphias had, there were risks and unfortunately, death was one of those risks. Elphias Doge had been on a scouting mission for The Order. Pockets of Death Eaters had been turning up in Muggle neighborhoods, such as Little Whinging. Elphias had been trailing after some unexplained happenings in Hasslemere. In the simplest terms, his death confirmed their fears. The Dark Lord’s influence was spreading.



++++


Harry’s eyes meandered over the shelves, vaguely registering the titles on the spines. Ginny had sent him back to this section to see if he could find anything remotely related to banishing spells or obliteration charms that might be helpful. After the Joanna/Neville incident, Ginny had wiped her hands of the matter, claiming it was no use worrying about it. She had then had thrown herself into researching how Catarina had healed Tom’s blood. Ginny wanted to find out how she had bound what was left of Tom’s blood to his physical form so she could blast it apart.


In the days since classes had resumed, Harry could tell, despite her efforts to sweep the matter under the rug, Ginny was worried about her roommate and friend. Ginny was growing increasingly irritable and tense, snapping at the simplest questions and scowling at anyone who crossed her path. Harry had the intense desire to take his thumbs and gently iron out the creases in her forehead, but he was a little afraid he would pull his hands back and be missing those important opposable digits. So, when Ginny had pointed at the stacks, he had gone, no questions asked. Rubbing a knot of muscle that had settled at the base of his neck, Harry eyed the shelves wearily.


“Hi, Harry.”


Harry looked over his shoulder and was surprised to see Neville, sitting against the wall, his book bag on the floor beside him, his hands clasped in his lap.


“Uh, hi, Neville,” Harry answered uncertainly. He and Neville had not really spoken since the meeting, passing each other in the corridor with nods of acknowledgement, but nothing more. When Harry returned to the dormitory in the evening, Neville either was not there or had already closed his curtains, not wanting to socialize. Dean had said something to Harry the other day, wondering if everything was alright. Harry had told him Neville needed some time and had hoped that was all he needed. “You – you alright?”


“Yeah,” Neville said, his face looking pale and withdrawn, his shoulders slumped.


“Need a hand up?” Harry asked, reaching out.


“No, I think I’ll stay here a while,” Neville said, shaking his head, his eyes on his shoes.


Harry nodded and returned his attention to the shelves.


“Harry? Why’d you do it?” Neville asked, his voice sounding like it came from far away instead of right at Harry’s feet.


Harry stopped, his eyes on the book in front of him - Erasing Your Mistakes: Blasting Spells and Their Ramifications - and thought about that question for a moment. It seemed like so long ago when he and Ginny had decided to do their bonding, much longer than last summer.


“Neville,” Harry asked, crouching down next to his friend who scooted his book bag out of the way so Harry could sit. The cold of the stone floor seeped up through his robes and Harry shifted to get comfortable. “Ginny and I had different reasons for doing the bonding than you and Joanna would.”


“The Prophecy,” Neville nodded. Harry had told him of the Prophecy when he and Joanna had met with Nathan and Ginny. Harry had thought Neville and Joanna deserved to know all the reasons why the bonding had come up in the first place for Ginny and himself.


“Well,” Harry shrugged, “there was that. But it was more that this protected Ginny. By bonding with me, Voldemort couldn’t bond with her.”


“How long did it take you to decide?” Neville asked, wincing at the Dark Lord’s name.


“Not long,” Harry said in all honesty. “I love Ginny –“


“I don’t love Joanna!” Neville exclaimed, his hand suddenly forming a fist and pounding his thigh. “And –“ he began, his voice cracking as his eyes slammed shut, “and she doesn’t love me,” he whispered.


Harry sat there stunned. Even he could detect the heart wrenching ache that filled Neville’s whispered words. Harry glanced down the isles, half hoping to see Ginny coming along to find out what was taking him so long. She was so much better at this emotional stuff. But then again, judging by her irritability lately, maybe he was better off dealing with Neville’s anguish. Taking a deep breath, Harry dug deep.


“Neville, you know bonds don’t have to be based on love,” Harry spoke, cringing the moment the words came out. The only bond he knew of that fit that category was not exactly a stellar example.


“I know that,” Neville said exasperated. “It’s just – she thinks I’m funny, Harry. She wants to be a Healer and thinks it’s really cool I like Herbology. She asks my opinion and she listens to it, I mean, really listens! She does all this because she wants to, Harry, not because she has to. I don’t want her to do this bonding thing with me because she has to.”


Harry looked at his folded hands and sighed. “I know what you mean, Neville,” he said quietly. “But I don’t get the impression from Joanna that she is the type of girl to do something against her will.”


Neville smiled at that. “Yeah,” he agreed.


“You know, though, it’s not something that has to happen immediately. “


“Really?” Neville asked.


“Really,” Harry nodded.


Neville contemplated Harry’s answer for a few moments before speaking. “Harry, how do you know? How do you make it work?” Neville asked, his eyes pleading with Harry’s.


“Make it work?” Harry repeated blankly. “You mean with Ginny?”


Neville nodded.


Harry paused, wanting to pick his words carefully, but not knowing what words to pick. “I - I don’t know. Why does it work with anyone? After a while it - it just becomes necessary. It’s like if she wasn’t there, there would be –“


“This gaping hole?” Neville interrupted hopefully.


Harry nodded slowly. “This huge gaping hole,” he answered.


“I hate this gaping hole,” Neville said, thumping his chest with his fist.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed.


The two friends sat there, contemplating life, love and their scuffed shoes while the sounds of the library swirled around them. After a few moments, Harry looked up as Neville pushed against him, struggling to his feet.


“You leaving?”


“Yep,” Neville said, slinging his book bag over his shoulder. “I have to figure out how to do some hole filling.”


Harry watched Neville’s back as he turned out of the stacks. Pushing himself off the floor, Harry grabbed a random book off the shelves to show his time away wasn’t for naught and followed in Neville’s footsteps, heading back to the table where Ginny sat amidst an ocean of books. She looked up as Harry leaned down and gave her a solid kiss on the lips.


Blinking, she tilted her head in question. Harry smiled at her as he sat down in the chair opposite her and opened the book he had brought back.


+++++


Attack at Port Results in Deaths



The Daily Prophet received reports this morning of a Death Eater attack in the Muggle port town of Ipswich. While no specific target has been identified, the attack resulted in twelve deaths, eleven Muggle and one witch.

The office of the Minister of Magic has issued a statement saying the Minister has been in close contact with the Muggle Prime Minister since news of the attack broke. At this time, the best determination for the cause of the attack was simple disruption of day to day business. “Appropriate actions have been taken to ensure alarm is not widespread,” the Ministry spokesperson assured The Daily Prophet.

In response, Milton Blevins, head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, argued, “Memory modification charms aren’t enough! Where was the back up? Where was the prevention force? And did anyone notice two of those Muggles had children at Hogwarts? This is a disgrace!”

Ameila Bones, head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, went on record, stating coldly, “The Minister was aware of this. I told him personally. He chose not to act.”

The Muggles’ identities have not been released. The witch has been identified as Hestia Jones. She is survived by an elderly aunt and six cats.



++++


Ginny pressed her fingers into her temples to dull the throbbing. Her eyes burned and she was cranky. Her eyes closed, she moved her head back, then to the each side, feeling the taut muscles stretch in protest. Groaning, she let her head fall forward, her forehead meeting the stack of books in front of her. She exhaled as she felt gentle pressure on her shoulders. Warmth spread downward, pushing the crankiness out through her toes. She sighed.


“Better?”


“Yeah, thanks,” Ginny smiled up at Harry. “But I have to admit, I kind of was enjoying being cranky. People were leaving me alone and I was getting something done for once.”


“Sorry,” Harry chuckled, “but I don’t think I can put the crankiness back in. I can only push it out.”


“Ah well,” Ginny said.


“What are you getting done?” Harry asked, opening his book bag and pulling out his books and a piece of parchment with burnt edges. Once again, Hermione had done up study schedules for NEWTs, color coded and charmed with vocal reminders. While Ron had simply shoved the schedule under his mattress where it mumbled its reminders into the springs, Harry had tried a form of an Obliteration Charm he had come across in his research. A little smoke and some charred edges later, Harry’s schedule was silent yet useful.


“Well,” Ginny said in a lowered voice, sitting up straight and leaning forward, “from what I have read, in order for Catarina to have been able to do anything with Tom’s blood, she had to use an incredible amount of magic. She probably had to feed off of some of his. In order to have an impact on that kind of magic, we have to use as much if not more. One witch or wizard does not possess that much magic.”


“What about two?” Harry asked, tapping his quill on his parchment.


“Two? Oh,” Ginny said, sitting back in her chair and nodding. “Two. If two were connected,” she said, motioning between them. “Hmm…alright, let’s say we can figure out how to do that, the other stumbling block is we have to break Tom’s bond to his physical form which means we have to get rid of the blood protection my blood is giving him which keeps him bonded to his physical form. The only way to get rid of blood protection is to break the bond. And the only way to break a blood bond is through death…”


“Hm,” Harry grunted. “You’re bonded to my blood in his veins.”


“Right,” Ginny nodded.


“If you broke the bond to my blood in his body, would you still be bonded to me?” Harry asked thoughtfully.


Her brow furrowed, Ginny bit her bottom lip and thought about Harry’s question for a moment. “I’m not sure,” she answered slowly. “His blood is so convoluted at this stage, I don’t know if I would be or not.”


“If you were,” Harry mused, “the bond wouldn’t be broken with me, only him, which would mean you wouldn’t die…”


“I’d only die a little bit?” Ginny said, a small smile playing at the corner of her mouth.


“Can’t really do that, can you?” Harry said, smiling ruefully.


“Can’t do what?” Hermione asked, approaching the table.


“Die a little bit,” Ginny said.


“Why would you want to die a little bit?” Hermione asked.


“It’s nothing, Hermione,” Ginny replied, closing the book in front of her.


“Harry,” Hermione said, her eyes following the book Ginny was stashing in her book bag, “don’t you have rounds?”


“Oh, right,” Harry sighed. “Forgot. Sorry, Hermione,” he apologized, closing his potions book. “I’ll see you later, Gin,” he said, leaning down to give her a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out of the portrait hole.


Hermione sat down opposite Ginny. “Ginny, is something wrong with Joanna?” she asked, opening her bag and pulling an un-charred version of the study schedule out. Ginny glanced at it and noticed Hermione had crossed out the subjects she had already studied. According to Hermione’s chart, she was a week and a half ahead of schedule.


“I don’t think so,” Ginny answered, trying to sound nonchalant. “Why?”


“Well, she’s been looking rather pale and withdrawn the past week or so. And I passed her earlier in the corridor and she was crying.”


“Crying?” Ginny repeated, her heart constricting. She knew Professor Borgin had said it was good for Joanna to know, but somehow, Ginny could not help but feel guilty for causing her friend this heartache.


“Yes. You know, as a prefect, it is your responsibility to look after a student’s well being. Perhaps you should talk to her?” Hermione suggested. “I would, but you are her roommate and closer to her. She might respond better to you asking questions than me.”


Ginny inwardly cringed at the idea. She didn’t want to cause her roommate any additional strife, but looking at Hermione’s determined expression, Ginny knew she was not going to be able to get out of this. Ginny sighed and began to pack up her things.


“Do you know where she is?” she asked.


“In the library,” Hermione replied, nodding her approval, “at a table near the back, under the windows.”


“Right,” Ginny said. “Keep an eye on my bag? I’ll take it up when I get back.”


“Good luck,” Hermione called after Ginny as she climbed through the portrait hole.


“Yup, luck,” Ginny muttered, striding down the corridor toward the staircase and the library. Several minutes later, Ginny was scanning the tables, looking for her friend.


“Hiya, Ginny,” Colin Creevy whispered loudly from a table off to her right.


“Colin,” Ginny said, stepping over to his table, “have you seen Joanna?”


“She just left,” he said.


“Do you know where she was going?”


“She said she was headed for some fresh air,” Colin said. “Does that help?”


“Yeah, thanks, Colin,” she said, as she turned and headed out the door again. Picking up her pace, Ginny jogged down the hallway toward the staircase. Rounding the bend, she saw a flash of gold in front of her.


“Joanna!” she called waving. “Joanna, wait up!”


Joanna turned, shifting her book bag on her shoulder to a more comfortable position. “Hi, Ginny,” she said with a small smile.


Ginny stopped at her side, catching her breath. “Got a sec?”


Joanna shrugged her unburdened shoulder. “Sure.”


Ginny touched her elbow and steered her to a nearby alcove for some privacy. The corridors were not crowded at this time of night, but there was no reason to invite unwanted ears. Joanna dropped her book bag at her feet and looked at her shoes. Ginny blinked nervously at the top of Joanna’s head and bit her bottom lip. What was she supposed to say now?


“How’s Neville?”


The whispered question tore at Ginny’s heart. “He’s fine,” Ginny said, touching her friend on the shoulder. “He’s not mad at you, Joanna.”


Joanna looked up at Ginny. “He said that, the other day, in Professor Borgin’s office. He said he wasn’t mad at me. Why would he say that?”


“Because he’s Neville,” Ginny answered simply. “Neville has the biggest heart of anyone I know. He’s not mad at you.”


“Was Harry mad at you?”


“No,” Ginny shook her head. “This isn’t something we did, Joanna. And we are lucky enough to have bonds who know that.”


“What’s it like?” Joanna asked. “What’s it like being bonded?”


Ginny could tell from the light that had flashed in Joanna’s eyes she was terrified of being curious and yet couldn’t help herself. Ginny smiled wistfully as she answered.


“It’s ribbons. Multi-colored ribbons of magic that tie you together in a way you will never be tied to another person ever.”


“Does it hurt?” Joanna asked in wonder.


Ginny giggled. “No, it doesn’t hurt. It’s incredible.”


Joanna nodded, her face falling as her curiosity was overrun with reality.


“Joanna,” Ginny said, touching her friend on the arm, “you know this bonding, it doesn’t happen immediately. You and Neville, you don’t have to make the decision to do this today or tomorrow or even next week. And even after that, you have training which is more time if you choose to do it.”


Joanna swallowed, her brow furrowed. “What happens if – if we don’t do it?”


“Well,” Ginny answered, picking her words carefully, “from what I understand, for Neville, nothing much changes. For you, since you have met your bond, you would always have a sense of longing for him. It’s not to say you couldn’t fall in love with someone else, but there would always be this sense of…well, unfulfilled longing.”


Joanna snorted. “And that sounds downright pleasant.”


Ginny opened her mouth to reassure her friend it was not as bad as it sounded, but clamped it shut again. It was as bad as it sounded. She knew. “Yeah, it pretty much sucks,” Ginny agreed.


“At least you’re ‘unfulfilled longing’” Joanna quoted, “was fulfilled.”


“And who’s to say yours won’t be, too?” Ginny shrugged.


“Because I ran out of Professor Borgin’s office. I’ve spent a week avoiding Neville because I didn’t know what to say. He must think I’m totally stark raving mad. I didn’t even give him a chance to say anything. I just didn’t want him to reject me, Ginny. I just couldn’t bear that,” Joanna cried, her eyes watering.


“Do you want to give him the chance?” Ginny asked, her eyes focused on a spot out of the alcove.


“Chance?” Joanna echoed.


“Chance to say something?” Ginny repeated, scooping up Joanna’s book bag and shoving it into Joanna’s stomach. Joanna grunted at the impact and nodded.


“Then here’s your chance. Don’t think, just feel. And remember, this is Neville,” Ginny said, before placing her hands on Joanna’s shoulders and giving her a shove. A thoroughly confused look on her face, Joanna stumbled backward out of the alcove, slamming into a solid moving mass. She felt two arms grab her around the waist to keep her upright.


Joanna’s heart skipped as she closed her eyes and saw the ribbons for the first time.


+++++


Ginny hummed as she headed back to Gryffindor Tower, feeling more hopeful than she had in several days. Skipping once than breaking into a run, Ginny jogged down the hall, keeping her eyes open for Harry. She wanted to tell him the news. It wasn’t much, but at least Joanna and Neville were talking. Rounding the corner, Ginny stumbled, catching herself against the wall with her hands. Stone bit into her palms causing her to hiss.


“So sorry, Miss. Are you alright, Miss?”


The squeaky voice came from somewhere around Ginny’s knees. Pushing her body away from the wall, Ginny looked down, surprised to see a house elf she didn’t recognize, clutching a roll of parchment in his hand.


“I’m fine,” Ginny answered, brushing her hands on her jumper. “Are you?”


“You are too kind to ask, Miss. Puddy is fine, Miss. This is for you,” Puddy said, holding out the parchment.


“Uh, thank you, Puddy,” Ginny said, examining the parchment in her hands. “Puddy, who ga-oh!” Ginny looked around at the empty corridor. Puddy had disappeared. Shrugging her shoulders, Ginny unrolled the parchment.


+++++


Joanna hugged her cloak around her body. She had suggested they come to the Astronomy Tower. Somehow the darkness seemed to be a little more private, a little less revealing. As a shiver encircled her, she had to think this had not been one of her brightest ideas. But then again, the frigid night air numbing her nose, cheeks and fingers, was rather fitting since it matched how her insides had felt all week. She could feel him standing beside her. His presence warmed her. She desperately wanted to take a step closer, to brush his arm with hers, breathe the same air he was. Instead, she stayed where she was, apart, searching for something to say.


Neville hugged his arms around his middle, watching his breath poof out in ghostly opaque clouds. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the moonlight paint the strands of her hair a silver white. Odd, since her hair is gold, Neville thought absentmindedly. He could not see it in the darkness, but over the past week, he had seen the smudges grow darker under her eyes, her face become paler, her eyes lose their bright laughter. He had watched her push food around on her plate for a week, even turning away Shepherd’s Pie. She loved Shepherd’s Pie. Her mum would make it every year on her birthday. She had told him that. Neville cleared his throat and spoke as she did.


“I’m not mad.”


“I’m sorry I ran out.”


Neville and Joanna’s eyes met and they smiled. “You first,” Neville said, bouncing up and down on his heels to keep warm.


Joanna inhaled. “I’m sorry I ran out of Professor Borgin’s office. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to say. I was so scared that I had done this, somehow –“


“You didn’t,” Neville answered quietly.


Joanna smiled softly. “I know. But I couldn’t think then. It felt like it was something I had done and I didn’t want you to think I had done it to trap you.”


“T - trap me?” Neville squeaked. “Why would you trap me?”


“Because you’re you,” Joanna answered, her cheeks warming in the moonlight.


Neville wasn’t sure how to respond to that. She said it so clearly with sincere simplicity. He just wanted to jump in feet first and swim in her absolute confidence of him. He felt as if he could take on the world, including Snape. He had felt like this over Christmas. And he knew, deep inside, this feeling was good and necessary and he desperately wanted it.


Neville flushed, welcoming the heat in his cheeks. “I m-miss you.”


Joanna blinked rapidly. Was it the cold was making her eyes water or the sight of Neville, bouncing up and down on his heels to stay warm, his hands fisted by his side, his lips purple blue?


“I miss you, too,” Joanna said softly, “and you’re freezing.”


“Uh, y-yes, I am-m,” Neville chattered.


“What should we do?” Joanna asked, taking a step toward Neville.


“G-go inside. Figure out what t-to do next.”


“Like the bond? Neville – I don’t think-“


“N-no, not the bond,” Neville said. “At least not yet. I-I’d like t-to, I don’t know, sit with you in fr-front of the fire, st-study with you, b-be infected w-with a f-few mo-more plant fungi…”


Joanna snorted. At the sound, Neville smiled, his numb cheeks cracking with cold. She sniffled and smiled at him.


“I’d like that,” she said.


“G-good. C-can we g-go inside, n-now?” Neville asked hopefully.


Joanna nodded vigorously. Neville stretched out a frozen hand toward her. Joanna enveloped it in her mitten.


++++



Ginny climbed out of the passageway and into Anna’s old office in the cottage. It was dark and cold and empty. A sense of unease crept into the back of her mind. She lifted her wand in front of her.


“Anna?” Ginny called, kicking herself for not asking Harry to come with her. But he was on rounds and Anna’s note had sounded like it was a quick thing. “Anna? I got your note about the books you wanted me too look at. Anna?”



+++++





A/N – My thanks to my betas wvchemteach and Anya – where would this story be without you?

And thanks to Dr. Ernest Drake’s Dragonology – The Complete Book of Dragons, Candlewick Press, and my son for his suggestion of which dragon to use.

Lastly, thank you to bogus7, my mod here at MNFF - you're awesome!!!