Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Second Part of this chapter has been re-submitted...stay tuned. Sorry for the unintentional cliffie!

Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter World.




The Tomb






Mr. Tibbles loved living at the Burrow. He had known he would from the first time he had brushed against the legs of the red headed witch. He knew she was in charge. He could sense the aura around her, and what an aura it was. This was a woman who liked being in control. As a cat, he could appreciate that. But that was not the main reason Mr. Tibbles had so adamantly fought to come home with the red headed witch. No, he fought because of how she smelled.


Mr. Tibbles had loved Mrs. Figg, as much as a cat can. She always kept his food bowl full; didn’t mind if he chased her tartan carpet slippers; and left the kitchen tap on at a dribble so he could drink cold running water whenever he liked, even when there were watering restrictions posted. And until he had sat next to the red headed witch, Mr. Tibbles had assumed female humans primarily smelled like cabbages. How wrong he had been. The red headed witch smelled of sweet and spice. She smelled of savory things he had never imagined could be served without a side of aspic. She smelled of things that made him swoon and want to swear off coughing up hairballs in the middle of the sitting room rug.


This is why it was a bit of a rude awakening when Mr. Tibbles crawled out from under the red headed witch’s bed to venture forth for his first meal in his new home only to find the same pinkish-gray mash in his bowl that Mrs. Figg had fed him. It had been fine for Mrs. Figg; but Mr. Tibbles knew the red headed witch could do so much better.


Mr. Tibbles had flapped his tail in consternation twice before turning around and padding back upstairs, head held high, tail in the air. The food remained in his bowl all day. It was there the next day, too. On the third day, the red headed witch threw out the original lump which had become dried and crusty and replaced it with new. When Mr. Tibbles came to the kitchen door to inspect his changed food, he took one sniff and turned away in a huff, but not before noticing the slight look of reluctant concern on the witch’s face. Mr. Tibbles padded back up to his hiding place under the bed, a slightly jaunty confidence in his tail swishing. He could hold out as long as she could, especially since he’d discovered a family of slow moving, lazy mice living in the attic.


Three more days passed in much the same manner. Now the red headed witch’s husband was looking at him with concern. Mr. Tibbles moved from beneath the mattresses to sleeping on the end of the bed.


Another two days passed. The red headed witch had begun ‘tut “tuting’ at him and scratching him behind the ears as he slept on top of the quilt at the foot of the bed. He had opened one eye and saw her brow furrowed with worry. He closed his eyes and curled his tail tighter to him. Two more days passed with the same mash drying up in his bowl.


Then, it happened.


Mr. Tibbles entered the kitchen that morning and sniffed. He sniffed again just to be sure. Last night’s leftovers. Heaven. He purred. He ate. And he started sleeping on the witch’s pillow.


Things had been going smoothly for several months now which is why, when Mr. Tibbles trotted into the kitchen this morning, he didn’t even bother to take a precursory sniff. He’d padded over to his bowl and found it…empty. He stared at it for a moment then up at the red headed witch who was standing at the kitchen sink. Mr. Tibbles hopped up on the table and walked over to her. He meowed. She ignored him. He squawked. She still ignored him. He head butted her elbow. She glared at him. Mr. Tibbles did not back down. This was breakfast. He stared right back.


“Oh!” the witch exclaimed in frustration, her eyes flashing fire.


Mr. Tibbles stepped back as she threw a piece of parchment on the table and reached into the icebox. Mr. Tibbles watched as the witch unceremoniously dumped the contents of a container into his bowl. He padded over and sniffed sweetness. He looked up at the witch who was grabbing the flowerpot off the mantle then back at his bowl. Mr. Tibbles had never had Treacle Tart before, but as long as it was not served with a side of aspic, he was happy. He dug in.


Molly Weasley threw a hand of Floo powder into the fireplace and bellowed, “ALBUS DUMBLEDORE!”


A few seconds later, the Hogwarts Headmaster’s head appeared in the green flames. “Good morning, Molly,” his head said. “I’m assuming you have just received Minerva’s owl?”


“WHERE ARE THEY?”


“Now, Molly ““


“ALBUS DUMBLEDORE! WE’VE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE! DO NOT PLACATE ME! JUST TELL ME WHERE HARRY AND GINNY ARE BEFORE I COME THROUGH THIS FIRE AND WRING IT OUT OF YOU!”


“They are in France ““


“FRANCE! WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN FRANCE? ARE THEY ALONE? HOW COULD ““


Mr. Tibbles looked up from his tart at the loud “Pop!” in the kitchen. He knew the white haired wizard standing there from Mrs. Figg’s. He always smelled like old magic and lemon drops. Mr. Tibbles returned to his tart.



Albus Dumbledore placed his hands on Molly’s arms. “Harry and Ginny are fine.”


“They’re in France!” she cried, pushing his hands away.


“Yes, with Nathan, Anna, Remus, Tonks and Bill.”


“Wi-with Bill? They’re with Bill?” Molly sputtered. “And no one thought to tell me?”


“Molly, they are of age ““


“Don’t give that ‘of age’ business,” Molly hissed. “I know they are ‘of age’!”


“Molly, she is old enough to make her own decisions,” Dumbledore argued solemnly.


“She is my daughter, Albus,” Molly pleaded.



“She is safe. She has the protection of some of our best Order members.”


“But Harry ““


“The safest place for Harry is with Ginny,” Dumbledore said softly, “thanks to you.”


Molly pursed her lips, her maternal instincts warring. Throwing her blood protection back at her was just unfair. “Where are they?”


“The Forest of Brocelinde,” Dumbledore answered.


“Why in the world would they be there?” Molly asked incredulously.


Dumbledore sighed. “Molly, this is business for the Order ““


“No,” Molly growled, “this is for me. I am the mother. I deserve to know.”


“Molly, Harry and Ginny, among others, have been working on something they are going to present to the Order when they return from France.”


“What are they working on, Albus?”


“They are working on a way to defeat Tom,” Dumbledore replied quietly.


Molly stopped, her blood turning cold, her body freezing in place. She had known this was coming. How could it not be coming? She knew of Harry’s role, of the Prophecy. She knew one would have to die. She feared that if that one was Harry, Ginny, too, would perish - from a broken heart or a broken bond, she wasn’t sure. She wanted to scream at Albus for letting her daughter and Harry pursue this, for letting them think they could even achieve this. But the decision was not hers to make. It had been made seventeen years ago by someone else.


“When will they be back?” Molly asked shakily, her voice filled with fear, rage and tears.


“In the next few days,” Dumbledore answered quietly.


Molly nodded and her eyes began to water. She swallowed and brushed away a a tear that escaped and rolled down her cheek.


“I need to get back,” Dumbledore said, placing a reassuring hand on Molly’s shoulder. “I will contact you with any news.”


With a “Pop!” he was gone. Molly took a steadying breath and picked up the corner of her apron to dry her eyes. Flattening it back down, she glanced over at Mr. Tibbles’ bowl.


“Oh!” she exclaimed, eyeing the remains of the Treacle Tart with misgiving. She had been saving that for Arthur tonight. Scooping the bowl up, she stopped, her eyes widening as she listened to a retching noise from the sitting room. “Oh, no you don’t!” she cried, dropping the bowl and rushing to rescue her sitting room rug from Mr. Tibbles.


++++


Nathan pushed aside the tent flaps and breathed deep, the cool, crisp forest air filling his senses. It was almost as good as a mug of tea. Almost. Placing his hands on the small of his back, Nathan stretched, feeling his muscles complain about the sleeping conditions they had endured last night. The goblins had placed hexes on the furnishings of the tent for two reasons: one, to make sure no one made off with anything from the tent; and two, to keep any unwanted hexes, curses or ill luck from coming back with the tent. This of course meant that no cushioning or comfort charm could be placed on those rickety excuses for beds. Nathan groaned as he tilted his head to the side to loosen his neck muscles. Anna had not been joking when she said those cots were made for the young. Nathan glanced over his shoulder at the sound of the tent flaps rustling and smiled at Remus as he straightened up.


“ ‘morning,” Nathan greeted. “How’d you sleep?”


“I’m pretty sure I have slumbered transformed on wooden planks more comfortably than that cot last night,” Remus winced as he too stretched.


“Judging by his snoring, Bill didn’t seem to mind so much. Do you suppose he knows something we don’t?” Nathan joked.


Remus chuckled. “I think the only thing Bill had going for him last night was youth.”


“Well, that certainly would explain Harry, too,” Nathan conceded.


“Yes, it would,” Remus nodded before clearing his throat. “Speaking of Harry, Nathan, I’ve been meaning to, for a while now, thank you for looking after him at Hogwarts.”


“Thank you, but to be honest, I don’t think he needs much looking after,” Nathan replied honestly, studying Remus. “He seems to have been taught how to do that long before I came on the scene.”


“Yes, well…I wanted to let you know we appreciate it.”


“We?”


“The Order, Tonks, myself “ James and Lily.”


“I’m sorry I never got to know James better,” Nathan said quietly.


“Well, we ran in different circles. And to be honest, none of us could conceive of ever liking a Slytherin all that much.”


Nathan chuckled. “I think that could be said from both sides of the Great Hall.”


“Yes, but you found Anna.”


“Which just goes to show you that you should never underestimate a determined woman,” Nathan said, looking at Lupin meaningfully.


Remus chuckled. “That is the truth, isn’t it?”


++++


Anna waved her wand above the Hawthorne bush. “Prosubigo.”


Ginny watched in fascination as the dirt at the base of the thorny bush came alive, moving and shifting to free the roots one by one. Almost like feet stepping out of a hole, the roots twisted and turned and came to rest on the forest floor, leaving an empty, gaping hole about a half meter deep.


“So, that’s the same bush Merlin fell asleep under?” Ginny asked as Anna levitated it out of the way.


“I believe so,” Anna answered. Carefully she set the bush down and placed a repelling charm around it to avoid further damage from accidental incidents.


“Alright,” Bill said, coming up behind. “Ginny, your first tool as an official curse breaker.”


Ginny almost laughed as she reached out to take a shovel from Bill’s hands. “We dig?”


“We dig,” Bill nodded. “There are dirt removal spells but we’re not real sure what kind of wards are around the tomb. If we choose the wrong spell, it might mix with any deterrent hexes used and we could all be blown back to Paris in tiny little bits. Digging is safe on tombs from this age. Muggle shovels are made of a mixture of metals not known back then and therefore are generally impervious to anything they could come into contact with. It’s human skin, however,” Bill said, passing out pairs of dragon hide gloves, “that hasn’t changed much over the years. Put these on.”


Ginny slipped on the gloves and took hold of the shovel. With a heave, she planted the tip into the loose soil and pressed down with her foot. “Where’s Harry? Shouldn’t he be doing this too?”


Bill grinned. “He should save his strength. The other reason shovels are such a fantastic tool for the job is the tomb doors “ they must weigh a good 90 kilos or more and you need the leverage to crack the seal.”


“Exactly what would you do if Harry and I hadn’t come along?” Ginny asked, dumping a shovel full of dirt millimeters from her brother’s boots.


“We always bring back up,” Bill said, pointing his thumb over his shoulder at Lupin and Nathan.


Ginny giggled and dug deeper. The hole was almost two meters deep when the tip of Bill’s shovel hit something solid.


“Voila,” Anna grinned.


Ginny swiped her sleeve across her brow and stood up, arching her back. “So,” she asked, “why haven’t Muggles been able to find this?”


“Well, uh ““ Anna stuttered, looking at Bill for help.


“Just say it, Anna,” Bill said, hopping out of the hole and extending a hand to help Ginny up.


“Muggles tend to overlook things they can’t explain. It’s easier for them. They can be rather ““


“Oblivious,” Bill chimed in, pulling out his wand.


Anna shrugged apologetically. “Oblivious,” she repeated. “But, in all fairness, most tombs such as this one had such strong deterrent spells put on them, not even most wizards could find them. Huh “ Bill “ check it out,” she said, pointing her wand at the hole.


Bill looked into the hole. “Haven’t seen that one in a while.”


Ginny peered over the edge and blinked. “Is that another bush starting to grow already?” As Ginny watched, roots were already forming from air, digging into the sides of the hole, creeping up toward them.


“Strigo Incrementum,” Anna said, pointing her wand at the newly forming Hawthorne Bush, halting its growth. “The same type of spells that render Hogwarts a big moldering ruin to Muggles are often used on tombs to keep them from being found by grave robbers.”


“And what makes us so different than a grave robber?” Ginny asked.


“For starters, we’ll only be taking one thing,” Bill answered, picking up his wand from the ground where he had placed it.


“Secondly, as a rule, we try to avoid family plots,” Anna said, “especially ones that are less than two hundred years old.”


“Big, ill begotten stashes of wealth, though,” Bill smiled, “are free game. You ready?” he asked Anna.


Anna nodded. “Oh, wait a second. Where’s Harry? He should see this.”


“He was working with Tonks checking the wards,” Ginny said, looking over her shoulder. “I’ll go get him.”


Anna glanced at Bill as he watched his sister run off to fetch Harry. “You’re proud of her, aren’t you?” she observed smiling.


Bill turned back to Anna and grinned. “You are, too.”


Anna chuckled. “Hard not to be.”


“That is true. Good morning, Harry,” Bill greeted, as Harry, Ginny and Nathan joined them.


“Morning,” Harry said, peering into the hole. “You should have said something. I would have helped dig.”


Nathan chuckled. “I wouldn’t worry too much. I have a feeling they have other ideas for us. Tonks and Remus are taking today’s watch.”


“Watch?” Harry asked concerned.


“Since we aren’t really supposed to be doing this, we thought having an extra set of eyes up top along with the wards was a good idea,” Anna explained.


“All set?” Bill asked, dramatically posing over the hole. “Alright, stand back.”


“Really?” Harry asked uncertainly.


Anna rolled her eyes at Bill. “He’s joking, Harry. If he tried to cast an exploratory charm like that, he’d fall in the hole. Quit showing off, Bill, and cast it.”


Bill grinned. “Right. First off, I’m going to cast a charm to determine what kind of deterrent charms are on the tomb. There are a series of these,” Bill lectured in an official sounding tone, “and regulations state a curse breaker should follow them in the specific order outlined in the Gringotts Curse Breaker Employee Handbook.”


“You say that so convincingly,” Anna commented dryly. “I almost believe you follow it.”


“I do!” Bill exclaimed.


Anna raised her eyebrows.


Bill avoided Anna’s gaze and pointed his wand at the hole.


“Once you get the hang of it,” Anna grinned at Bill as he started, “you tend to know the type of deterrent spells used based on the culture. And to be honest, the first fifteen charms on the list are pretty much only used by five year olds hiding sweets under their beds.”


Harry watched in fascination as Bill cast charm after charm, different colored sparks, flashes and streams of light emitting from the end of his wand. Harry’s fingers itched for a quill and a piece of parchment so he could write them all down and study them later. As that thought sunk in, Harry shivered and glanced around, wondering if Hermione had tagged along unexpectedly.


The air around them began to smell like a mixture of dust, burnt wet wood and rotten eggs. The light coming from Bill’s wand bounced around the hole, sometimes changing color, other times not. Occasionally a charm would sink into the dirt and Harry noticed Bill and Anna nod in satisfaction. Halfway through, Anna took over, giving Bill a break. Harry could tell the charms they used were getting more complex, the light getting brighter, the ricochet of the spell stronger, the displacement of dirt greater. Harry guessed between the two, fifty spells had been cast at the opening when Anna dropped her wand to her side and growled in frustration.


“Is it not working?” Ginny asked.


“Stubborn thing,” Anna said, resting her hands on where her hips had been several months before.


“What haven’t we tried?” Bill asked, scratching the back of his neck.


Anna screwed up her face and furrowed her brow. “The spells that sunk through “ crap,” she exclaimed. “Stand back everybody.” Everyone took a step back as Anna pointed her wand and spoke clearly, “Follisich!”


A bright white light shot from Anna’s wand and into the hole, disappearing into the loose dirt. Ginny held her breath. The silence of the forest was broken with a rumble that came from below their feet. Ginny’s knees wobbled and she struggled to keep her balance. She reached out and grabbed onto Harry. Together, they watched as the opening in the ground began to glow brightly, a beacon in the forest. Without warning, the force of centuries old magic came blasting out of the hole sending everyone stumbling backward. Ginny fell on top of Harry who wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. He turned over, pressing Ginny into the damp earth as the hole spewed dirt over them. Harry’s heavy breathing mixed with the plop of raining soil in Ginny’s ear. She turned her head to peak out from under Harry’s protective arm. She saw Nathan helping Anna up. Harry pushed himself back to his knees and held out his hand to Ginny. They stood, brushing dirt off themselves and walked tentatively over to the tomb entrance.


The magical blast had enlarged the hole to at least a meter wide. Ginny peered over the edge. She glanced up at Anna who was smiling at her. Ginny smiled back and looked back down. At the bottom of the hole, a bright white ring surrounded a flat, round, engraved stone about the size of a manhole cover. The light glowed for a moment than faded.


“Wow,” Ginny breathed.


“Gaelic revealing charm,” Bill nodded. “Nice touch.”


“Nimue did an excellent job on this,” Anna said.


“Alright, Harry, Nathan,” Bill said, reaching down for gloves, “put these on and pick up a shovel. It’s time to break the seal.”


“You don’t do that with magic?” Harry asked, pulling his gloves on.


“No. It’s just easier to do it this way, to be honest,” Bill said, hopping back in the hole. “There are spells, but they’re tricky and time consuming. Once the seal is cracked, we can use magic to levitate the stone and we’ll be good to go.”


“After you, Harry,” Nathan said, motioning for Harry to jump in.


Harry grabbed his shovel and stepped off the edge.


+++++


Half an hour later, Harry glanced at the removed tombstone off to the side before dropping down the hole and landing with a soft thud on a hard stone and dirt floor. He inhaled. “Uh!” he grimaced.


“Yeah,” Bill said, behind him, “newly opened tombs are not known for their air quality. With ones this old, we usually do a little air cleansing before we hop on in, but that can take time we don’t have today.”


“Oh!” Anna exclaimed from behind them. “I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to that smell,” she said, stumbling slightly.


Nathan caught her elbow. “You alright?”


“Yeah,” Anna replied faintly. “Give me a minute. I’m just a little light headed.”


“Here, have a seat under the opening,” Bill said, shoving one of their packs into the middle of the circle of light. “The air is fresher here.”


“Thanks,” Anna smiled gratefully.


Bill lit his wand and reached into the pack at his feet. As he straightened up, Harry saw Bill flatten his palm and move four silver discs apart. He pointed his lit wand at them and muttered, “Illumino.”


The discs began to glow a bright blue. Bill dropped one on the ground by their feet. He then tossed the remaining three into the darkness. As the discs hit the ground, the blue glow brightened, becoming lighter and stronger.


“Waterproof Light Activated Illumination Sources,” Bill said, as the tomb entryway became lit.


“Brilliant,” Harry breathed.


“I’ll let Fred and George know you said that,” Bill smiled.


“I thought I recognized those,” Ginny grinned. “They used to throw them in toilet right before guests would arrive at the Burrow. When someone would open the lid and let light in, they exploded, showering the guest with water. And then of course, Mum would explode,” she giggled at the memory.


“They’ve refined them since then,” Bill said. “These last at least eight hours and they go out with a nice soft pop.”


“Of course, along with a pop, they let off the most horrendous stink,” Anna said, standing up and waving Nathan’s hand off, “which, now that I’ve met your brothers, I’m not convinced isn’t on purpose. So, where are we?”


As Bill unrolled the tomb map he had created, Ginny breathed shallowly through her mouth and grimaced. Even in her mouth, she could sense the thick dampness of stopped time. She swallowed and clamped her teeth together, grinding dirt in between her molars. She cleared her throat and looked around. The bright blue light seemed to enhance the chilled underground air, bouncing off the slime covered walls. Piles of shadows rested against the edges calling her forward to investigate down several passageways.


Ginny stepped forward, blanching slightly as her foot crunched something. Gingerly picking up her boot, she looked down.


“Rat,” Anna said from behind her.


“Rat,” Ginny repeated.


“Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it,” Anna assured her, kicking the skeletal remains of the rodent to the side.


“The twins put worse under my blankets,” Ginny replied.


Anna blinked at her. “Really? I never had a sibling. Always thought I wanted one,” she mused, rubbing her stomach.


Ginny giggled. “It goes both ways, you know.”


“Ah,” Anna nodded in understanding.


“Time just stops down here, doesn’t it?” Ginny observed.


“You noticed,” Anna smiled. “In its most elemental form, a tomb is a time capsule designed to keep things just as they were.”


“What are those?” Ginny motioned toward the shadows.


Anna squinted. “Well, if our theory is correct, we are in the cellar of the tower that Nimue built around the trapped Merlin. Before he made this home sweet home, he was known to be somewhat of a pack rat. Now, no one is certain how long Merlin was in here, but if we had time, I’m sure we could find some real treasures in those piles.”


“Treasures?”


“Well, nothing that was probably worth anything much monetarily,” Anna shrugged. “More like items that might tell us more about Merlin as a wizard, what kind of witch Nimue really was “ that kind of thing. Come on, Bill’s found the proper corridor.”


++++


“Professor Dumbledore?” Hermione called, waving as she ran down the corridor, Ron at her side.


“Good day, Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley. How are your holidays going?” the Headmaster asked, pausing in front of the gargoyle guarding the entrance to his office.


“Snape used Legilimency on me!” Ron exclaimed breathlessly.


“That’s a strong accusation against a teacher,” Dumbledore said seriously.


“He knows they didn’t go home,” Hermione said pleadingly. “We told Professor McGonagall. We sent an owl to warn them. We don’t know where they are-”


“Miss Granger, breathe,” Dumbledore said, placing a hand on her shoulder. Turning, he searched Ron’s eyes. “You say Professor Snape used Legilimency on you? Why?”


“He told me to look at his eyes,” Ron said desperately. “I “ it felt like I wasn’t alone in my own head! You have to believe us!”


Dumbledore sighed heavily. “I do not take your concerns lightly. I have spoken with your mother this morning,” he nodded at Ron, “as Professor McGonagall did send an owl to her based on your conversation yesterday. I have explained the situation to her. I will do my best to send a message to Professor Borgin and Remus.”


“Do your best?” Hermione echoed. “What does that mean?”


Ron looked at Hermione in shock. She was questioning a professor “ no, she was questioning Dumbledore! She stood there, frizzy strands of hair escaping from the clip at her neck, eyes blazing with challenge, cheeks pink with conviction. Ron had never thought her more beautiful. He nodded adamantly as he turned back to Dumbledore.


“They are surrounded by woodlands, protected by extremely powerful wards. I will do my best,” Dumbledore said with sincerity. “And I’m assuming you won’t leave my side until I do,” he said, pinning Hermione with a meaningful look.


“Please, sir,” Hermione said, her cheeks turning from pink to red.


“Very well,” Dumbledore replied, “you had better come with me then,” and he turned back toward the gargoyle guarding the entrance to his office.



+++++


“So? What did you find?” Tonks asked, holding out her hand and helping Ginny out of the hole.


“Dirt,” Ginny replied, closing her eyes and breathing deeply, her lungs joyfully filling with fresh air. “Lots and lots of dirt.”


“There was a cave in,” Bill said, climbing out. “We need to take some shovels down there tomorrow.”


“Anything else?” Remus asked, taking a pack Anna handed up from the tomb’s entrance.


“Yeah “ thanks,” Anna said, gratefully taking Remus’ helping hand. “We did find quite a bit. Turns out the cellar of the tower was used as most cellars are, that being a place to collect odds and ends and things you have no idea what to do with.”


“What did you think of it, Harry?” Remus asked, as Harry climbed out.


“It was brilliant!” Harry smiled, his teeth glowing white through the dirt on his face. “We went down this passageway that was probably cobblestone at one point in time but now was mostly roots and dirt. The air kept getting colder because the floor slanted downward and we kept going deeper and deeper. There were alcoves all along the passageway filled with stuff. All the metal stuff was still around, like cauldrons and cups and some silverware type things, but anything that was made of wood had long since disintegrated.”


Lupin chuckled and patted Harry on the shoulder. “Sounds like you enjoyed yourself!”


“I did!” Harry exclaimed. “I can’t wait for tomorrow!”


“Yes, tomorrow,” Bill said. “We’ll have to do some digging, but I’m pretty sure, what we are looking for is right on the other side of that pile of dirt.”


“You’re joking!” Harry said. “Why did we have to come back up? I could have started digging!”


“I know, Harry,” Anna smiled, “but it’s important to always be fresh and alert when working in tombs, especially unknown tombs, just in case. We’ll get an early start first thing tomorrow.”


“Did you run into any problems?” Lupin asked.


“No,” Anna shook her head. “Judging by what we found off the passageway, Nimue wasn’t all that concerned with Merlin’s junk. We did send a few shield testing charms into the landslide, however, and they hit something which is why we think what we are looking for is right on the other side.”


“Any chance the pile of dirt is supposed to be a deterrent?” Tonks asked.


“I’m almost positive it is,” Anna nodded. “It looks too perfect to be a natural occurrence. For starters, the ceiling and walls around it are perfectly flat “ there’s no sign of dirt falling from them. I’m sure most folks would run into the cave in and assume that was the end of the line and turn around.”


“I’m starving,” Nathan said, putting an arm around Anna, “and I bet you are, too,” he said, placing a kiss on her dirty hair. “How about we clean up and start dinner?”


“Excellent,” Anna said. “Dibs on the shower!”


An hour later, Anna sat down next to Harry on the bench surrounding the table in the women’s tent. Harry scooped up his glass of water before Anna’s elbow sent it flying as she set her bowl of stew down in front of her.


“Thanks,” Anna grinned sheepishly.


“No problem,” Harry said, setting his glass back down. “The stew’s really good.”


“Thanks,” Anna said, unfolding her napkin in her lap. “Old family recipe. Tweaked, of course. My mother never used enough garlic. You can never have enough garlic. So, Harry,” Anna said, taking a sip of water, “how’s your Legilimency coming along?”


“It isn’t,” Harry said, sopping up stew with a piece of bread.


“Really?” Anna asked. “Why ever not?”


“Well, Nathan thought it best I get a good handle on Occlumency or, in his case, Alienari, first, and then this whole thing started,” Harry waved his hand around, “and well, to be honest, it was just one thing we set aside until later.”


“That makes sense,” Anna nodded. “It is more important that you be able to guard your mind against unwanted visitors than for you to be able to poke around in someone else’s, eh?”


“Yeah,” Harry agreed.


“I suppose this whole adventure has put a bit of a twist in your other activities, hasn’t it?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded. “The DA, uh, Dumbledore’s army, hasn’t met in several months, either. But that’s not such a big thing, seeing as we have a decent defense against the dark arts professor.”


Anna smiled. “Nathan enjoys teaching.”


“He’s good at it,” Harry shrugged.


“Yes, he is,” Anna nodded. “So, are you ready for tomorrow?”


“Yeah, I think so,” Harry replied. “What are we doing exactly?”


Anna reached toward the middle of the table and took a roll out of the basket. “We will remove any hexes on the dirt and then remove the dirt. Behind the dirt, Bill thinks there is a barrier of sorts. He doesn’t think it is a wall, more like a magical shield. He thinks Nimue may have taken the original entrapment charm used for the whole tower and basically shrunk it down to protect Merlin’s resting place.

“The ironic piece of it is,” Anna said, spreading some butter on her roll, “Nimue’s original entrapment charm was done for the very selfish reason of keeping Merlin where she wanted him. In the end, Nimue used it for a very unselfish purpose, that being to protect Merlin from the outside world.”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded, a little awed. “How are we supposed to get through the shield, then?”


“It’s a process called Shield Transference,” Bill said, sitting down opposite them. “I was just telling Ginny and Nathan about it. When an entrapment charm is altered, it weakens. That, on top of how old this particular charm is, should make it no problem to transfer the source of the shield’s power onto another object. The charm will still be in place, it just won’t use the circlet as its source.


“In order to do that, we have to work fast. You, Anna, Ginny and myself will break the shield with a massive blast of power. When we break it, it will search for something to grab onto, which will be my wand. Nathan will target the circlet to remove a stone. Once the stone is gone, Nathan will summon the circlet, pop the rest of the stones out, throw them back in and we’ll transfer the shield back to them, keeping Merlin’s tomb intact.”


“That’s it?” Harry asked.


“Well, it’s a rather simplistic explanation, but yeah,” Bill nodded, “that’s it. Should go off without a hitch, unless Nathan can’t get the Irish pronunciation down.”


“Irish pronunciation?” Harry asked.


“Since the tomb entrance was guarded with a Gaelic spell, we’re assuming the circlet is also,” Anna said. “Nathan has had to translate the spell into Irish and well, here’s hoping the luck of the Irish is with us.”


Harry grinned then furrowed his brow. “What kind of spell are we throwing at the shield?”


“A Patronus ought to do it,” Bill said, “or several of them, especially considering one of them is yours.”


Harry’s cheeks flushed and he shifted his eyes to his empty bowl.


“I’m rather excited to see it,” Anna said admiringly. “Remus says it’s quite a sight to behold.”


“Thanks,” Harry grinned.


Anna held her napkin to her mouth to cover her yawn.


“Right,” Bill said, standing up. “Time for all of us to get some sleep. Tomorrow’s a big day. Come on, Harry.”


“Good night, Anna,” Harry said, collecting his and Anna’s dishes as he stood up.


“Thank you, Harry. Sweet dreams,” Anna wished before also standing up and heading toward her bed.


+++++



“Good evening, Firenze.”


“Headmaster,” the Centaur inclined his head.


“Firenze, I am in need of counsel,” Dumbledore said, sliding his hands inside the long arms of his robes for warmth.


“Centaurs are not known for keeping counsel. It goes against our nature. We simply tell you what we see.”


“I need to know what you see.”


“I see men with many strings.”


“Do any of those strings go beyond our boarders?” Dumbledore asked, his voice betraying his concern.


“Yours and others,” the Centaur replied.


“Others?”


“Dark and light, some twisted, others not.”


“Have any become entwined?”


“They will.”


“Thank you, Firenze,” the Headmaster said, turning back toward the castle.


“Headmaster?”


“Yes?”


“Sleep well.”


“Do you?” Dumbledore asked.


“It is against our nature,” the Centaur repeated.


“As it is mine,” Dumbledore replied softly.



++++



It was stating the obvious, but he felt he needed to anyway.


“And there it is,” Bill said quietly.


“And there it is,” Anna repeated.


Ginny stepped forward and felt Anna put her arm out, holding her back.

“Shield,” Anna warned.


Ginny nodded, her eyes searching the space in front of her. It was hazy, as if the magic filling the air was polluted. She felt as if she was trying to see through sea water as she squinted through the falling particles disrupted by the moving of the dirt barrier. The walls were curved and stone. This surprised Ginny since the passage leading to the room was dirt. From what she could tell through the murkiness, the floor was flat, dull and grey. In the middle, a simple, stone alter stood, on which rested Merlin’s remains. Anna had warned her that the bones would most likely be exposed as any burial shrouds would have disintegrated.


“Do you see it?” Anna whispered.


Ginny nodded slowly. Resting above the skull was the circlet. From where she was standing, the headpiece looked small and tarnished, centuries of dirt dulling the polish and sheen. She could not make out the detail, but it was hard to miss the stones. Their luster was hidden beneath time but their size was visible from here, large bumps of burgundy and blackened green against the brown of the gold.


Bill cleared his throat. “Harry, Ginny, Anna and myself will target the shield. Nathan, you will target the circlet. Are you ready?”


They all nodded.


“On my mark then…”


+++++


Tonks stood on the far side of the camp. She scanned the sky “ or at least what she could see of it. The trees were thick and tall and not much blue showed through them on a good day.


She was nervous. Yesterday she hadn’t been. But something was off today. At first she had thought it was simply excitement, but the feeling hadn’t gone away. Moody said never to ignore the ones that don’t go away.


She started walking the perimeter of the wards again. She smiled at Remus who was listening at the tomb entryway for any sign of trouble below. He gave her an encouraging wave.


Tonks looked skyward again. She stopped and blinked. She looked back at Remus. A shiver ran down Tonks’ spine. He, too, was looking up at the ghost like phoenix circling them from above.



++++++



“EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


Ginny adjusted her stance to keep her balance. Her breath was caught in her throat and she felt the power flood her wand. The walls vibrated, the floor rumbled and the magic swelled. As the Patronuses burst forth, the shield separating them from Merlin rippled.


Harry’s stag charged the waves, its antlers pointed straight ahead. Bill’s White Tailed Eagle sailed, its wingspan carrying it into the pulsating ancient magic. Anna’s tiger bounded after Ginny’s unicorn, a predator chasing its magical prey. The shield wavered, flashing light and force, sending waves of energy into the passageway. Ginny’s knees buckled and she stumbled backward. Her hand shot out against the wall of the passage. She hissed as her fingers touched burning soil. She fisted her blistering fingers and drew her hand to her middle.


“AGAIN!” Bill shouted. “You three first.”


”EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


The shield flashed, lighting up the passageway as if it were midday. Ginny shielded her eyes against the glare and saw a dark hole forming in the center of the light radiating out in concentric waves.


Bill aimed his wand at the hole and roared. ”EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


The Eagle flew forward once more. Head down, wings spread, he barreled into the gap in the magic. As he flew through the blackness, he became suspended in time, his head thrown back, his beak opened in a silent scream, his smoky white eyes closing tight. Vivid pink electric light imprisoned the Patronus, wrapping around its ghostly body like barbed wire rope.


Fascinated, Ginny watched in stillness as Bill’s Eagle struggled to flap its powerful wings. It pushed downward against an invisible force, slowly as if it were trying to fly through sand. Ginny felt her head nod up then down with the movement of the wings “ once, twice, three times. The fourth time, the Eagle pushed, moving forward into the chamber with Merlin’s bones. The shield’s magic thinned, forming two streams of hot pink light. One string shot to the circlet, the stones soaking up the energy. The second string was carried by the Eagle as it flew, slowly but strongly, around the chamber, through the hole and back to Bill. The Eagle bowed his head to Bill and dove into the tip of wand. The pink light hissed and spit as it began to entwine itself around Bill’s wand, much as it did around his Patronus.


“NOW!” Bill bellowed.


Nathan stepped forward and aimed his wand. “DIOTHAIGH LOMHARAI”


White light shot forth, barreling through the opening in the shield. Involuntarily, Ginny slammed her hands over her ears and screamed as an intense ringing pummeled her eardrums. As soon as it started, the ringing stopped. For a brief second, Ginny saw a hole where a stone had been in the top of the circlet. The tendrils of magic that had been connected to the stones were shriveling back, throwing its magic into the remaining pink electric string, causing it to move erratically. The pink became deeper, richer and judging by the sparks flying, more dangerous.


”ACCIO CIRCLET!”


Dust flew, creating an exhaust trail as the circlet sailed cleanly through the opening in the shield. Harry glanced at Bill. Bill’s chest was heaving with exertion and sweat was flowing freely down his face and neck soaking his shirtfront. Harry could see veins throbbing along his arms as both hands shook slightly, fighting to keep his wand in place.


“Harry!” Nathan shouted. “Here! Throw these back! But don’t get too close!”


Harry fell to his knees and grabbed at the stones Nathan was removing from the circlet. One by one, Harry flung them back into the shield, scrambling after the ones that didn’t make it.


“Last one!” Nathan said, heaving it through the hole himself. “BILL!”


With every bit of effort he had left, Bill directed his wand at one of the stones closest to him. ”EXONERO!” There was a distinct ‘Pop!’ and a space of blackness at the end of Bill’s wand. Bill ducked, shielding his head as sparks flew, the wild pink rope flinging magic into the air as it struggled to find another hold. It jerked, straightened, then in one fluid motion, was sucked into the stone. The stone glowed pink.


Tendrils of magic slid among the dust on the floor, finding the web of stones that were now strewn across it. Harry placed his arms around Ginny for protection as they all watched the fourteen stones reconnect. He pulled Ginny against him, her back to his chest and held his breath. He felt her jump as the web of stones flashed once, painting the passageway magenta. The shield buzzed, complete and in place once more. Bill collapsed. And all was quiet.


Not realizing he had been holding his breath, Harry exhaled.


“How are you?” Anna asked, kneeling down beside Bill who was leaning against the cooling walls.


“I’ll be okay,” Bill choked. “Give me a minute.”


“Here, drink this,” Nathan said, handing a flask to Bill.


“Thanks,” Bill nodded, tipping the water to his lips. “How’s it look?” he rasped.


Nathan held up the circlet. “Like it’s old, dirty and missing a few stones. Kind of like you.”


Bill grinned weakly.


“Then it’s perfect,” Anna smiled. “How are you two?” she asked Harry and Ginny.


“Good,” Harry replied hoarsely.


“Yeah,” Ginny nodded a little dazed.


“Why don’t you take Harry and Ginny and the circlet?” Nathan suggested. “I can get Bill and follow.”


“You sure?” Anna asked. Nathan nodded. “Alright, then. Harry, Ginny, you’re with me. Let’s get this circlet out of here and do some checking for any other types of enhancements Nimue may have put on it.”


Harry slung a pack over his shoulder and reached for Ginny’s hand. Together, they fell into step behind Anna and followed her up the passageway. They had been walking for about twenty minutes when a tremor knocked Anna off balance backward into Ginny. “Crap! Sorry, Ginny.”


“What was that?” Ginny asked, helping Anna to straighten up.


“I don’t know,” she replied, looking around.


The smell of sulfur wafted toward them. Dirt showered down from cracks beginning to form in the tunnel ceiling.


“Earthquake?” Ginny asked, looking up.


“No, I don’t think so. The movement was from up above, not down below,” Anna mused.


Another vibration rattled the tunnel, causing the troupe to stumble. The passageway was filled with the sound of discarded old iron colliding with stone, dirt and human being.


Harry, Ginny, and Anna turned, wands aimed at the flickering glow. Ginny widened her eyes in hopes of being able to see better in the dark. She felt her heart in her throat and Harry’s hand grasp her forearm, pulling her to his side.


“Dammit! Bill! You there?”


“Tonks?” Anna croaked, her mouth full of polluted air. She swallowed, and then tried again. “Tonks?”


“Anna!” Tonks stumbled into the glow of the light discs on the floor. “Quick! Dumbledore says we aren’t safe here anymore.”


“What do you mean?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“He sent a Patronus,” Tonks barked. “We’re not safe. We need to go. Now! Where are Bill and Nathan?”


“Back there. Bill can’t walk well. Nathan’s helping him.”


“Right then,” Tonks nodded. “I go find them and tell them to hurry it on up, use an elevation charm to get Bill going quicker. I’ll meet you up top.”


Tonks ran down the passageway, shouting over her shoulder. “I left Remus guarding the entryway. Wands at the ready. I have a feeling the vibrations aren’t natural.”


“Aren’t natural?” Ginny asked.


“Come on, you two, let’s hurry,” Anna said, breaking into a run. The air became fresher, the dirt floor giving way to stone.


Anna stopped underneath the tomb entryway and shouted. “Remus!”


There was no reply. That’s not good. Anna thought.


“What’s not good?” Harry asked from behind.


Anna winced. “Remus isn’t up there. Come on, Ginny, you first.”


Harry wove his fingers together. “Foot up, Gin?”


“Thanks,” Ginny grinned, stepping into Harry’s hand.


Ginny stretched as Harry lifted, her outstretched fingers reaching for the sides of the tomb entryway. Her nails scraped stone and dirt as another flash of light filled the forest clearing sending tremors throughout the tomb. Harry stumbled, his knees buckling. Ginny flailed, trying to regain her balance and failing, plummeting back to the stone floor of the entryway.


“Crap! They’re breaking down the wards!” Anna exclaimed.


“Go! We have to get out of here. We can’t Disapparate from in here, otherwise Merlin would have.”


Harry pulled Ginny up off the floor and wove his hands together for another boost. She scrambled out of the hole.


“Anna?” Harry asked, motioning with his hands.


“Thanks,” Anna said, handing the circlet up to Ginny who held her hand down. Anna scrambled up and turned around. “Okay, Harry, here you go.”


Anna and Ginny grasped a hold of Harry’s hands and pulled. Harry’s legs dangled in mid air for a moment, dirt scraping his face and chest, until he was able to position his elbows on the outside edge of the hole and heave himself up.


Another tremor sent the dirt sliding down the sides of the hole and into the tomb. Anna glanced worriedly over the edge.


“Make a run for the tents,” she said. “They are charmed with a certain amount of protection - enough, for us to gather our wits.”


Anna bent to retrieve the circlet. A solid blast hit her square in the chest, throwing her backward. Anna flailed, the circlet flying from her hand as she stumbled and fell with a thud on her backside. Anna pushed up and counted three hooded figures scurrying to find cover - but no Lupin.


ATTONARE!” Ginny yelled, aiming the stunning spell at the closest hooded figure.


With a cackle, the figure dodged and fired back. The bludgeoning spell caught Ginny on the shoulder, twirling her around, slamming her into one of the stone monuments. She winced as she pushed herself up, tears forming at the corner of her eyes, her bruised muscles shifting under her skin.


“Ginny!” Harry yelled.


“REDUCTO!” the figure bellowed.


”Protego!” Ginny cried, reflecting the blasting spell and ducking behind the stone monuments opposite the tomb’s entryway.


Harry flattened himself against one of the Muggle monoliths. He threw his arm around the side and targeted the fallen log where one of the figures had hidden.


Abflamen!” Harry cast, the blasting spell shooting a deep crimson stream from his wand tip to the downed log. Sawdust and splinters filled the air, mixing with the scream of frustration of the Death Eater who fired back a pummeling hex. Harry stepped to the side to cast a shield charm, easily deflecting the hex. His foot hit something solid yet soft. Harry glanced down. Remus Lupin lay face down on the forest floor.


His mind stunned, Harry didn’t see the wand pointed at his back. He flew forward, his feet dragging over Lupin’s body, pulling him down, slamming him into the earth. Harry groaned, tasting blood and rolled over, struggling to his knees. He blinked, his mind trying to process what his eyes were seeing. He swallowed hard as his heart plummeted. Harry reached out, his hand shaking to feel for a pulse. He pressed on the side of Lupin’s neck, searching. He felt the sweat forming on his forehead as his fingers found it, weak but there. Harry’s breathing was ragged from relief as his fear turned into boiling rage.


Harry whipped around to face the clearing and saw the Death Eater who had been behind the tree trunk moving toward the trees. Harry aimed his wand and roared, ”CONICO!”


The hurling charm picked up the man as if he were a dry leaf and tossed him into the trees, his body slamming between trunks as it fell to the ground. His hood came off in the process. Harry recognized the face of Goyle, Sr.


“Cover me!” Anna shouted to Ginny as she scrambled toward where the circlet rested, under the Hawthorne Bush she had so carefully placed out of harms way.


Light flashed behind Anna as she ran. Falling to her knees, she skidded, reaching out to grab the prize. She didn’t hear the stunning spell but she certainly felt it.


”Exanimare!” the chilling voice hissed from the darkness beyond the bush.


Anna hit the dirt with such force she was pretty sure she had made an indent. She gasped as her lower abdomen cramped. Wincing against the pain, Anna swallowed the bile rising in her throat. How dare anyone harm her baby! Anna wrapped her free hand protectively over her stomach and regained her footing, her eyes blazing a level of hatred she didn’t even know she possessed.


“I see you’ve been busy since our last encounter, joke shop girl,” Bellatrix Lestrange mocked Anna from the murkiness of the forest.


“You remember me,” Anna hissed. “Good. I want you to.”


“What is it you want from over here?” Bellatrix taunted, circling the bush. “Something valuable from that tomb? Something old and full of magic that might do harm to the Dark Lord? I think NOT! CRUICO!


Anna spun out of the way, the Unforgivable scorching the earth where she had stood. Bellatrix screeched in anger.


” Abico converto!” Anna growled, the blasting charm hitting Bellatrix square in the chest.


The witch howled as she flew backward into a mess of underbrush. Her breathing guttural, filled with the instinct of a mother protecting her young, Anna pursued Bellatrix into the woods. Anna aimed her wand at the witch who was trying to get up.


“Aculeatus Vena!” Anna hissed. She watched in satisfaction as Bellatrix writhed in agony amidst the groundcover, the blood stinging hex burning her from the inside out. Bellatrix stiffened and then stilled.


“I just hope that’s poisonous,” Anna muttered, kicking the brown and green leaves on the ground. Stooping down, Anna reached under the Hawthorne bush, her fingers curling through the holes of the circlet and holding fast.


+++++


“Give it up, girl,” Crabbe, Sr.’s thick voice shouted.


Ginny ducked behind Merlin’s stone as Crabbe cast a cutting hex at her.


”Stupefy!” Ginny shouted, aiming around the stone.


“If that is all you have, I will tell the Dark Lord he has nothing to worry about,” Crabbe taunted.


A bludgeoning spell hit Merlin’s stone sending chunks of stone into the air. Ginny felt the grit between her teeth as she clenched her jaw. Her nostrils flared as did her temper. She narrowed her eyes and peered around the edge of the monolith. A small smile played at the corners of her lips as she saw Crabbe trying to hide his oafish form behind a burial mound.


“You talk too much,” Ginny growled. ”Exanimo!”


Ginny hand shook slightly as she kept her wand directed at the Death Eater. Her stomach rolled in disgust as she watched Crabbe scratch at his throat in an effort to open his air passage. Crabbe’s fingernails raked his skin, drawing lines of blood as his eyes slowly rolled back into his head. With a thud, Crabbe’s body fell to the ground unconscious.


++++


Harry’s shield held as Marcus Flint sent a stream of sparks his direction. Dodging behind a tree, Harry released his shield and aimed his wand at Flint’s chest and growled. “Callum Consectio.”


Flint spun, but not fast enough. He screamed as the cutting spell ripped into his shoulder, exposing flesh and bone. He slammed his hand over his wound, blood oozing between his fingers. He aimed his wand wildly, sending a bludgeoning spell into the clearing. He tried again.


Harry dodged, shielding himself behind a tree.


“Extundo!” Harry shouted, a stream of red exploding from the end of his wand sending him stumbling backward.


The Death Eater threw up his good arm in front of his face to avoid the pummeling curse, his wand falling from his hand as he crashed to the forest floor.


”Accio Wand!” Harry called, the wand flying into his outstretched palm.


Flint looked up, stunned at the realization he was weaponless against Harry.


”Stupefy!”


Red sparks shot out of Harry’s wand. Flint fell back, his slack face had an expression of almost gratefulness. Better knocked out than having to witness his own humiliation, Harry thought.


Harry took inventory of the clearing. Four Death Eaters down. Three good guys still standing. He ran over to Ginny, swiping at the blood on his chin from his split lip. “We have to go help the others.”


“We can’t,” Ginny shook her head, her hand grasping her shoulder.


“Why not?” Harry asked.


“The tomb,” Anna said quietly, her wand pointing over the edge of the hole. “It’s been sealed again.”


Harry looked over to where the stone that covered the entryway to the tomb had been. The groundcover was mashed, but there was no stone. He ran to the hole. The cover was in place again.


“We can open it,” Harry said. “I’ll get the shovels. You know the charm ““


”No, Harry,” Anna said, “it’s been sealed from the inside. See the purple light around the edge? That kind of charm can only be opened from the inside.”


Harry blinked at Anna stunned. “We- we can’t just stand here!” he shouted. “They need our help!”


Anna’s face was pale, her eyes filled with worry, but her voice was firm with determination. “We can help, but up here. When they come out, we will be ready to go.”


“You mean pack up?” Harry asked incredulously.


“Yes, Harry, I mean pack,” Anna said, her voice rising.


“Anna, who sealed the tomb from the inside?” Ginny asked.


Anna drew a ragged breath. “I can only assume it was Lucius Malfoy, judging by who was up here. This was personal. Lucius has come for payback. Come on, we have tents to pack up.”


Anna turned away from the hole, her shoulders rigid and straight and walked purposefully toward the tents. Harry felt Ginny take his hand. He looked down at her, a feeling of guilt washing over him as he realized how grateful he was she was not separated from him in the tomb.


As if she knew what he was thinking, Ginny gave his hand a squeeze and tugged. Reluctantly, Harry nodded and they followed Anna.


++++++


One arm around Nathan’s shoulders, Bill looked up and sniffed.


“What?” Nathan asked.


“The tomb has been closed,” Bill said, his voice gravelly.


“How can you tell?” Tonks asked from behind.


“The air changed. It should be getting fresher, cooler,” Bill swallowed. “It’s stopped flowing. It’s stagnant.”


Tonks grabbed the hem of Nathan’s jumper and pulled. “Hide,” she whispered firmly.


In the fading light of the illumination discs, Nathan nodded and side stepped into the nearest alcove. Bill shuffled alongside, trying his best to keep his exhausted feet from banging into a piece of Merlin’s old junk.


“I’m really sorry, Nathan,” Bill apologized, as Nathan helped him sit down in between a few stacks of mismatched iron pots and glass bottles. “I didn’t know that damn Entrapment Charm would take this much out of me.”


“Not the time to worry about it Bill,” Nathan said, peering into the darkness. “Entrapment Charms are some of the strongest magic out there. They have to be. To be honest, I’m a little surprised you’re still coherent.”


“Thanks,” Bill grinned weakly.


“No problem,” Nathan said. “You stay here. I’m going to go see what Tonks needs.”


“I’m not moving anytime soon,” Bill replied as Nathan flattened himself against the wall of the passageway.


Nathan encountered Tonks two alcoves down. She was leaning toward the entryway of the tomb, listening intently. She waved Nathan into the alcove opposite her and held her finger to her mouth to indicate silence. Nathan watched as Tonks flicked her wand at the dirt floor and whispered, “Permotio.”


Strands of yellow light rippled from her wand onto the ground and then into the ground. Nathan saw the dirt, displaced in little rivers as the charm snaked its way up the passageway then stop. The bumps in the dirt became straight and still. Nathan held his breath and watched as slowly, the dirt moved, slightly at first, a jump barely visible in the dimming light. The dirt lines jerked “ then jerked again. Nathan looked up at Tonks, his eyes wide and questioning.


Tonks mouthed, “Three meters,” and pointed up the passageway.


Nathan aimed his wand and nodded. Tonks pressed herself against the wall and motioned for him to stay put. Nathan shook his head. Tonks shot him a look that could only be read as, “I’m an Auror, you idiot,” and started silently slinking down the passageway.


Feeling somewhat helpless standing in the almost dark with his wand pointed at nothing, Nathan strained to hear what Tonk’s motion detector spell had shown. There were others down here “ others who, judging by the fact they had closed the tomb, didn’t want them getting out of here. Nathan felt a chill run down his spine. His eyes burned into the darkness, his mind registering a darker shape against lighter walls. In the blackness, it looked like slow motion. He made out Tonks aiming her wand at a shadow and the silence was finally broken.


“ Abico converto!” she growled.


”Protego!” A harsh voice barked, the shield deflecting the blasting charm.


Nathan waited for the shield to disappear and leveled his wand. As the pummeling charm hit the Death Eater square in the chest, the man flew into the passageway wall hard enough to displace dirt. With a solid thud, the man fell to the ground in a slump.


Nathan stepped up to him. “Lumos.” Nathan leaned down. “Who is that?” he asked.


“Rabastan Lestrange,” Tonks replied softly, “and I’m pretty sure he’s not alone.”


“Lestrange,” Nathan repeated. The family tree quickly fell into place and all rational thought left his mind, pushed out by a primal urge for revenge. A part of him knew he was loosing touch with restraint, but Nathan didn’t care anymore. He had had enough. It was time to end this.


“I know who’s with him,” Nathan said distastefully, “and he’s mine.”


“Nathan,” Tonks hissed, grabbing the elbow of his jumper, “don’t do anything stupid.”


“Ridding the world of that man is not stupid,” Nathan said coldly, “it’s necessary.”


“Fine,” Tonks said, “but you’re not doing it alone.”


“Fine,” Nathan echoed. “There are two other passageways off the entry.”


“I’ll take one, you take the other and let’s hope there aren’t many more of them,” Tonks said evenly.


Nathan nodded and turned, his wand ready. Five minutes later, they entered the entryway. Nathan shook with anger as he looked up at the tomb entrance, the round stone sealing him off from Anna “ if she was still alive “ NO! he shouted in his mind as he crushed the thought. She was not dead. He would feel that. He just knew it. And he was not going to die in here, not tonight. He felt a tug on his shoulder and looked down. Tonks pointed to the left. Nathan blinked, struggling to regain focus. Tonks looked at him questioningly. He inhaled and almost coughed on the stale, dead air. He nodded.


+++++



Bill leaned the back of his head against the wall, closed his eyes and listened. He cursed himself inwardly for his lack of foresight. Yeah, but would you have done anything differently? his mind poked. Bill sighed and opened his eyes, blinking into the gloom. The illuminating discs were flickering as they neared the end of their eight hour lifespan. A few meters away Bill heard a ‘pop’ and wrinkled his nose in anticipation of the smell. He waited. No smell came.


Bill’s pulse quickened. He exhaled, slowly, the sweat on his back cooling. He shivered. It wasn’t an animal. He knew that. Nothing could live in a tomb sealed with this kind of magic for long. Nothing with a living, beating heart.


Bill heard a crunch “ shoe leather on gravel. Bill fisted his hand around his wand. Clenching his jaw, Bill slowly moved his arm across his chest, aiming his wand into the passageway. He froze as Narcissa Malfoy’s voice filled the void.


“You are mine.”


Bill felt a drop of sweat roll down the end of his nose and drop to the soil beside his leg.


”CRUICO!”


Bill threw himself to his side, the Unforgivable curse blasting a crater in the soil where he had just been. His heart pounding, Bill inhaled sharply and concentrated every bit of energy he could muster on the first spell that came to mind.


“Attonare!”



Narcissa shrieked. Bill collapsed against the wall, his chest caving with each breath. He shook his head, fighting against the black numbness forming in his brain. Bill rolled over onto his knees, tiny pricks of sensation flooding his body. He put his free hand out to steady himself. His fingers curled around something cold, hard and very solid.


“You will not win this,” Narcissa hissed.


Bill gritted his teeth and pushed, reaching past his weakness to his sheer will to live. Slowly, silently, he unfolded himself until he was standing in the alcove.


“I will find you,” Narcissa vowed.


“Good,” Bill croaked.


Centimeters from where he stood, Narcissa whirled around, her lips curled in a triumphant snarl, her wand ready. Her eyes widened as Bill raised his arm and fell, his body weight carrying him forward, the rock in his left hand aimed at her temple, the wand in his right, for her eye.


+++++

To be continued...