Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N - Ah yes, as you can see by the title, it's another two parter. Sorry about that. For some reason, MNFF doesn't like chapters over 10,000 words. Feel free to wait until both parts are up to read. :)



Overpowering Love





Anna’s knee buckled as a sharp twinge ran down the back of her leg. She slumped against the wall and struggled to catch her breath. She pressed her hand against the ache underneath her stomach and listened. Nothing.


“I’m getting a little sick of hearing nothing,” Anna muttered. Her chest burned with exertion as her voice faded into the darkness. “I’m getting a little tired of not being able to see anything, either. In fact, I’m really done with spending my pregnancy trying to stay alive!”


Anna wasn’t sure why she was disappointed that her raised voice didn’t echo back. Perhaps it was the fact she was alone. Or that she hadn’t heard evidence of another person for Merlin only knows how long. Or that while her mind knew there wasn’t a large open cavern right in front of her, a part of her hoped there was simply because it would be something different. If only she had managed to get her wand from Narcissa. Anna kicked the ground in anger and rubbed the raw skin on her wrists.


“Come on, Anna,” she spoke wearily. “It’s not your fault. The manual says when you hear the crack, drop everything and Disapparate or run if Disapparation is not an option. You had to run. You wouldn’t be alive if you had tried to get your wand.”


Anna blinked at the tears forming in her eyes. She sucked in her breath. Stay calm, Anna. Becoming upset isn’t going to help anything.


She started going over the procedures for being stuck underground in a tomb.


Consult the map to determine your approximate location. She sighed.


Perform a listening charm to enhance sounds. An excellent suggestion, she mused, but that requires a wand, and I don’t currently possess one.


Location charms “ start with directional and move onto beacon types. Anna looked dejectedly down at where she thought her empty hands were. Another good idea but we’re back at that ‘don’t have a wand’ issue.


Determine the air flow. What air flow? There is no air flow. The air in here hasn’t moved for decades.


Mark your path as you go.


“Mark with what?” Anna cried into the darkness. She brushed at the tears leaking from the corners of her eyes with the back of her hand. “Mark my path with what? I can’t even see my path!” she choked. “I can’t see anything! I can’t hear anything! I “ I “ “ Anna slid down the wall awkwardly and dropped her head into her hands.


“I know “ I know,” she sniffled. “Think with your head, Borgin, not with your damn hormones. Keep your emotions in check.” She blinked rapidly to dry her eyes. “Not a rule written by a pregnant Goblin, that one.”


Anna hugged her belly and leaned her head against the wall. She shivered and drew a ragged breath. She tapped the panic down as it began to rise inside her by reciting what she could remember from her youth.


“The purpose of Stonehenge was to worship the sun during the summer solstice. The tunnels under Stonehenge were for the burial processions of enlightened elders who had traveled the pathway of the sun, from their birth in the east to their death in the west. Mourners would then reflect on their lives by duplicating the processions. There are two burial chambers,” Anna’s voice became stronger as the memories flooded back, “that are also Disapparation points.”


Triumph motivated Anna. Sniffling, she clumsily pushed herself off the ground.


“Alright, little one, we’re getting out of here,” Anna peered into the blackness. “We’re either finding an exit or a Disapparation point. Perhaps we will run into someone we know there. We can always hope. If we’re lucky maybe your grandparents left part of themselves here when they mapped these tunnels. Maybe their spirits are hanging about just waiting to tell us how to get out of here. Believe me,” Anna patted her belly, “if there is anything your Grandmother loved, it was telling me how to do something.”


With determination, Anna took a step and stopped. She could have sworn she felt the air move. Taking a page out of a Muggle survival guide her father had made her read, she licked her finger and held it up. Anna’s skin prickled as cool air chilled the moisture on her skin. She smiled.


“I love you, too, Mum,” she whispered and began to follow.


++++



Harry’s feet hit the ground and he stumbled into Ginny.


“Sorry,” he apologized as he regained his balance.


“First time traveling by Phoenix?” Ginny teased.


“In a long time,” Harry grinned, “You?”


“You two alright?” Bill asked as he stepped up beside them.


“Yeah,” Harry answered. “You ready, Gin?”


Ginny straightened her shoulders. “Yes. You?”


Harry held up the circlet. He nodded soberly.


“Then we’d better get in place,” Bill said. “I just wish there were more of us up here. Of course,” he looked around the group, “there aren’t many better than you lot.”


“Thanks, Bill,” Ron patted his brother’s shoulder.


“Just calling it as I see it.” Bill turned to Ginny. He met his sister’s eyes and paused. He felt his throat clog with emotion “ fear, pride, hope. He swallowed them all and pulled her into a hug.


“Uh, Harry,” Ron cleared his throat. “I “ I just wanted to say -”


“You’ve got my back?” Harry cut in.


“I’ve got your back, mate,” Ron vowed.


“You always do,” Harry smiled gratefully.


Bill released Ginny and cleared his throat. “Come on, Ron. Let’s go.”


Ron pulled Harry into a brief but fierce hug and did the same with Ginny before he trailed after Bill. Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand and slid behind one of the fallen stones. His back resting against it, Harry craned his neck backward and his eyes traveled to the top.


“Nothing like some really big rocks to make you realize how small you really are,” Ginny commented wryly and squeezed Harry’s hand.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed. “You ready?”


“With you here, I’m ready,” Ginny answered.


“I love you,” Harry said seriously, looking deeply into her eyes.


“I love you, too, Harry,” Ginny rested her hand against his cheek. “Now, close yourself off to me.”


“I wish I didn’t have to.”


“I wish you didn’t have to either,” Ginny replied softly. “When I can’t feel you, I’m cold. I hate being cold.”


“Me, too.” Harry leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Reluctantly, he let go of her hand. Ginny inhaled, nodded slowly and closed her eyes.


Behind her closed eyes, Ginny saw her bond with Harry. Normally bright and taut, the bond dulled. Ginny shivered. Harry had closed himself off from her. Ginny pushed herself to do what she knew she had to, but didn’t want to. She poured herself into the bond, but instead of concentrating on her heart, she concentrated on the blood, hers and Harry’s bound together in Tom. She sucked in her breath as a sharp pain speared her middle. She fought the nausea as she pushed into the blood. She sought out the evil that made her go cold.


Ginny wove herself around the Dark Lord’s power and pulled. She waited, holding her breath, until she felt him push back in a tug of war. Ginny focused on bringing the Dark Lord to her. She felt her chest tighten as Tom responded. Ginny jerked and wheeled away. She fell to her knees on the damp grass. Sweat dripped down her nose and dropped to the ground as she sucked in air and opened her eyes. She felt burnt “ almost dead inside. She tried not to blink. She was afraid of what she would see if she closed her eyes - afraid of what she might have done to her bond with Harry.


“Gin!” Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her close. “Gin, answer me.”


“He’s coming,” Ginny croaked into his jumper.


“Close your eyes, Gin,” Harry whispered.


“No, I don’t want to,” Ginny shook her head into his chest.


“Close your eyes,” Harry urged again.


Reluctantly, Ginny shut her eyes. Almost fearfully she opened herself back up and exhaled. There was her and Harry’s bond, bright and shining, full of color, safely anchored between them.


“I love you, Ginny,” Harry said hoarsely into her hair, “and I’m going to do anything in my power to make sure I get to prove that to you for many, many years to come, understand?”


Ginny nodded into Harry’s shoulder, still aching from her intimate contact with Voldemort. She felt Harry’s arms tighten and she gasped as he flooded the bond with all the love in his heart. Seeing the colors, she smiled grimly against the wool.


Just try to defeat that, Tom.


+++++



In the underground tunnels, Voldemort stood on the edge of the battle. His eyes were closed but his mind watched the ribbons in his blood. There were no rich, bright, beautiful colors in this bond. This bond was as pitch black as the tunnels had been before Nott threw the first spell that drew out the pitiful number of Order members from their hiding spots.


Voldemort felt a jump in his blood almost as if a bubble had burst. It took a moment for him to recognize the burning sensation just under his skin which filled him with the need to follow the pull.


“My lord ““


“She is not here, Severus,” Voldemort stated as he opened his eyes.


“Not here?”


“The foolish girl wants me to come to her. Not down here. Up above. She thinks she can actually manipulate me.”


“My lord, the passage way “ it is blocked,” Pettigrew squeaked from where he stood by his master’s elbow.


“Do you think that is the only way out of here?” Voldemort hissed.


“Sir, I am not familiar with these tunnels.” Pettigrew backed away from the gleam in the Dark Lord’s eyes.


“No, you are not,” Voldemort assessed. “But I am. It is one thing Lucius managed to do correctly.”


“Do correctly?” Snape echoed.


“Yes, he shared his little secrets with me.” Voldemort leveled his gaze on Snape. “Have you shared all your secrets with me, Severus?”


“You are my master, my Lord,” Snape bowed his head to hide his eyes from the Dark Lord’s.


“As it should be,” Voldemort replied.


“Where do we go, my Lord?” Pettigrew asked.


Voldemort rested his wand on the palm of his hand. ”Acclaro Sepulcrum.


The wand spun, its tip glowing, striping the walls with magic. After several rotations, it slowed and stopped. Blood red light shot from its tip into the dirt.


“They are in there,” Voldemort said.


“Who?” Pettigrew asked.


“The dead,” Voldemort replied. “You see, Wormtail, the ancients buried their dead here to help their spirits rise to the heavens. And while dying alongside your loved ones is very admirable, even back then, it was…undesirable,” Voldemort’s voice dripped with anticipation. “There is a Disapparation point beyond this wall.”


“How do you plan to get to the dead, my Lord?” Snape asked.


Voldemort leveled his wand at the wall and hissed.



+++++


Molly stumbled over fallen dirt as she moved toward the spell battle going on in front of her. She had no idea how many Death Eaters were here. She just knew the Order was sorely outnumbered. Not that there was any surprise in that she thought, trying to keep from rubbing her scratchy, irritated eyes.


She knew Arthur was alive. She had heard him. Well, she thought she had heard him. It was so hard to tell down here. There was noise in all directions, deadened and dulled by the walls, but still loud enough to make her ears ring. She had seen Moody. He had come to check on her after the cave-in. He said Kingsley suffered a broken leg from being caught under a pile of dirt but that wasn’t stopping him. He had not seen Albus, but…Moody’s voice had trailed off after that and neither one of his eyes would look at Molly. Molly had a feeling Moody knew something he didn’t want to tell her. And to be honest, she didn’t want to think about what that might be right now.


“MOLLY! WATCH OUT!”


Molly flung herself forward as a blast of magical light exploded into the wall where her head had just been. She popped up and pointed her wand in the direction the spell had come from.


” Abico converto!” she hollered.


The hurling charm brightened the tunnel for a moment. It illuminated Arthur who was pressed against the wall a ways up from her. She didn’t know if the spell hit its mark or not; her attention was focused on her husband who slid to her side.


“Molly, are you alright?” he asked worriedly as he crouched down next to her. He gently cupped her chin and lifted her face. His thumb rubbed at the tear tracks on her cheeks.


Molly nodded. “Yes, it’s “ it’s just dirt in my eyes. It’s making it hard to see. I’m fine, Arthur. A few tears, I’ll be good as new.”


“I wish ““


“Nothing you can do, Arthur. Come on, we’ve got a battle to fight,” Molly said in the same tone she would use to tell him to hurry up and wash up for supper.


“Yes, Molly,” he answered dutifully.


Molly opened her mouth to scold but clamped it shut again. Sending blasting spells ahead of them, they crept forward to the main corridor. A blast of cold air hit them head on.


“What is that?” Arthur asked.


“What is what?” Molly asked as she blinked rapidly to clear her vision.


“That room,” Arthur said.


“Burial Chamber,” Moody growled from beside him. “Someone blasted through and they’re in there. Wands ready.”


Arthur nodded, but was stopped as a flash of red from inside the chamber pummeled him in the chest.


“Oh, no you don’t!” Molly growled and aimed her wand into the room. “ABFLAMEN!”


A screech was heard as the blasting spell hit its mark.


++++


Anna’s eyes burned. Her fingers tingled with numbness. Her toes ached with cold. Circulation had never been her strong point. Afraid if she stopped she would never get going again, she forced herself to keep walking. She dragged a stick behind her as a reminder of where she had been and periodically piled up stacks of rocks and roots as additional trail markers. She paused briefly to construct another such marker.


Bending over, Anna stretched out her fingers and winced at the painful stiffness in them. She felt along the ground for anything to stack up. Reaching forward, her mind began to swirl with dizziness. She lost her balance and fell against the wall. Unable to catch herself, she slid down on her side, inhaling dirt as her cheek hit the ground.


Anna hissed painfully and pushed herself up into a sitting position. She pulled her wrist out from beneath her. She couldn’t see it, but she could feel her body’s automatic response to falling at such an angle as the burning warmth of blood swelled her sprained muscles. Anna blinked back the rapidly forming tears.


“Not now, Borgin,” she sniffled. “No tears. Not now.”


Anna scooted so her spine was against the wall of the tunnel. She leaned back and rolled her head side to side, thankful for the bumps of dirt and rock that bit into her skull. The discomfort kept her awake. She had never been this tired before. Closing her eyes, she placed her hands on her stomach.


“Probably good training for when you come,” she croaked. “From what I understand, sleep is a highly sought after commodity with a newborn.”


Anna pressed her frozen finger tips into her jumper and winced at the tingling pain.


“When you become a curse breaker,” she mumbled, “I will make sure your father buys you the highest quality dragon hide gloves available. You see, little one,” Anna said, her tongue dry and thick in her mouth, “you can’t feel the cold…through the dragon hide gloves. They…they keep you warm…and safe. Really…really warm...”


Anna’s voice trailed off as her mind swirled with exhaustion and hunger. Jerking awake, she sucked in air and coughed as it caught in her dry throat. She gulped back a sob. In her mind, a voice broke through the darkness.


Anna.


Anna’s chest began to shake with tears.


Anna, there will be time for tears later.


Anna hiccupped. “What?” she rasped.


There will be time for tears later, Anna. Nathan needs you. Your baby needs you. You need to continue.


Anna shook her head. She wanted to sleep. If she slept, she would feel better. She just knew it. She licked her lips but she had no saliva. She shook her head wearily. “If I sleep, maybe I won’t hear voices.”


Anna thought she heard a chuckle.


Nathan was right. I like you.


Anna struggled to comprehend the words that swirled in her fuzzy mind. Her brow wrinkled. She felt a bit slow around the edges. She answered the darkness. “You know Nathan?”


Another chuckle. Maybe not as well as you these days. But I love him just as much as you do. And I have to imagine, you aren’t very comfortable sitting like that. These caves have a marked lack of good back support for pregnant women.


Who else loved Nathan as much as she did?


“Catarina?” Anna whispered, her eyelids heavy with fatigue.


It is an odd situation we find ourselves in, isn’t it, Anna?


“What do you mean?” Anna mumbled.


There was nothing I wished more than for Nathan to find someone he could share his life with. He deserved that much. My son has his faults. He is a Slytherin, after all.


Anna’s mouth curved in a one sided smile and she nodded her head.


Which is why I am so glad that if he couldn’t marry a Ravenclaw such as myself, at least he had the good sense to marry a Gryffindor. Your spirit keeps him from folding in on himself. It makes him a better person - a stronger person. He needs you. He needs your baby.


“Mmmm.” Anna’s eyes closed.


I just wish I had had the opportunity to meet you under better circumstances. I would have hugged you tightly and spoiled my grandchild rotten. However, now, I am only able to tell you thank you for loving my son so much.


“I don’t think I had much choice.” Anna croaked.


Ah, you believe in fate. Catarina observed.


“I don’t know what I believe in right now.” The words slurred together as Anna tried to let sleep drag her under. Her head fell from side to side in exhaustion. “I’m cold. I’m hungry. I can’t feel my baby. I can’t feel my own mother but I can hear my husband’s. I can’t even feel my toes,” she complained.


Anna, this is not your fate.


“I’ve gone round the bend, little one,” Anna mumbled. “Your mum has gone batty.”


It’s not your time yet.


“I don’t have the time. I don’t have a watch. She probably took that, too.” Anna’s chin hit her chest.


Anna, it’s not your time.


“You said that already,” Anna muttered, annoyed that Catarina wouldn’t leave her alone.


Anna.


“Not my time,” Anna garbled. “Not my time.” She didn’t move.


Anna!


“Ow!” Anna yelped as a sharp pain speared across her belly. She opened her sticky eyes and blinked.


Anna?.


“Right, right, right. Crap,” Anna croaked and pressed her hand to her pounding heart. “Not my time.”


Groaning, she pushed with her good hand off the ground and regained her feet.


“Whoa,” she breathed as her head swam. “Slow. Gotta go slow.”


Anna cradled her swollen wrist against her belly and put her right foot in front of her left. Stopping briefly, she looked up. Anna opened her mouth then closed it again. Her lips cracked as she smiled into the darkness. She rubbed the ache in her lower back. With a nod of thanks, she touched the wall of the tunnel and stepped forward.


+++++


George ducked out from under Percy’s arm and shifted his older brother’s weight onto Fred’s shoulders.


“You didn’t put a weightless charm on him?” Fred grunted.


“He’s pretty messed up in the head already, Fred,” George answered. “I didn’t want to mess him up further.”


“You do know I’m still conscious, don’t you?” Percy asked, picking up his head wearily.


“Hey, did you feel that?” Fred asked.


“Feel what?”


“That trembling “ Tonks? Remus?” Fred called.


Tonks stopped and listened, her hand held up to silence everyone.


“Spell battle,” Nathan murmured.


Remus nodded. “Not far.”


“Wands ready,” Tonks ordered as she crept ahead.


A roll of dust billowed from down the tunnel. Tonks held her sleeve up to her mouth and squinted. She motioned to the others with her wand hand to get against the wall. Sliding along, she rounded a corner and stopped. As an Auror, she knew how to remain calm and collected in the face of danger, but the sight that greeted Tonks still sent shivers up her spine. The tunnel they had been following ended at one of the burial chambers.


The cathedral sized chamber was circular, the walls lined with shelves where rested the remains of the revered mystical nobility. Urns of every shape and size holding the ashes of those not as worthy to merit a bed of their own stood at attention on the floor beneath the shelves. Rectangular waist high altars, long enough to hold a body, followed the circumference of the room and rested on an intricate mosaic tile floor that depicted the celestial bodies at the mid-summer Solstice. The ceiling of the room was domed, a large glowing orb in the middle, white as the moon, painting the chamber silver.


At the far end, a battle raged. The smaller urns along the walls danced with the vibrations of spell work. The smoke in the air reflected the light of the hanging moon mixed with flashes of magic. Screams traveled the length of the room as hexes met their mark.


“So much for resting in peace,” George observed over Tonks’ shoulder.


“There are at least fifteen of them,” she counted.


“So, normal odds, then,” Nathan replied evenly.


“Yup,” Tonks nodded.


“That battle seems to be down at the other end of the chamber,” Remus said from behind.


Tonks nodded again. “Someone must have blasted through the wall down there.”


“Time to step up and help?” George asked.


“I’d say that’s a fine idea,” Tonks agreed.


George turned and crept back to Fred. Their eyes met. Gently, Fred set Percy against the wall. Barely conscious, Percy slid down to the floor in a slump. George pointed his wand.


”Contego,” he whispered, an electric shield forming to protect his brother.


At the chamber opening, Tonks leveled her wand. Remus, Fred, George and Nathan did the same. She turned back to the burial chamber and counted down silently. Three “ two “ one.


”Extundo!”


Tonks’ arm jerked back as her pummeling spell flew into the burial chamber and targeted the urns lining the walls. The Death Eaters closest to them whirled around in confusion trying to avoid flying burial pots. Ashes spewed into the air and pooled on the floor. Taking advantage of the chaos, Tonks plastered herself to the wall and scurried into the chamber followed by the others.


The group fanned out. Tonks took refuge behind one of the altars. She felt the carvings of celestial beings bite into her arm as she pressed her shoulder against the cold stone. She fired a cutting hex at the closest black robe. The Death Eater screeched and whirled. Tonks ducked, a flash of white sparking off the wall behind her. She struck again drawing the attention of more of the Dark Lord’s followers. Good, she thought. Gives the others a breather She threw her arm around the corner and hissed as a spell seared across her skin. It burned, but it didn’t bleed.


”Conico! she growled at what looked like a marble bowl on a pedestal. The bowl hurled forward, catching the Death Eater in the stomach. He grunted and stumbled backward. His heel caught on the hem of his robes and he tripped, his skull cracking on the edge of an altar as he fell. The bowl landed with a thud on the floor next to him. Without sparing the Death Eater another glance, Tonks turned back to the room.


Diving behind a standing urn at least two meters tall and half that much around, Fred threw a bludgeoning spell across the room. Bent over, George scuttled to the other side of the urn, and aimed. Return fire rattled the urn the twins were book-ending, ringing their eardrums as it vibrated.


“Big guy, this one,” Fred observed loudly and ducked around the belly of the urn to fire off a cutting spell.


“Could be a couple,” George commented as a flash burst over his shoulder.


“Couples like to dance,” Fred shouted.


“One more spin around the dance floor?” George suggested and scooted behind the urn. He leaned his shoulder into it.


“You’re such a romantic,” Fred grunted and joined George in giving the urn a good shove.


The urn crashed to the ground cracking the mosaic tile with its rim. The lid dropped to the floor like a large top, spinning and wobbling on its knob. With another heave, the twins turned the urn. Pointing their wands at opposite ends, they fired rotating charms. The urn began to roll, picking up speed as it crossed the floor. Ashes spilled from the open top, covering the floor with a fine, gray, slippery dust. Fred sent another rotating charm at the bottom and the urn began to spin, a giant odd shaped billiard ball bumping off the altars. Screams filled the domed room as Death Eaters tripped and slipped on the ashes in their attempt to not make contact with the out of control burial container.


George grinned at Fred. “May I have this dance?”


“As long as you don’t step on my toes this time,” Fred replied and they slid into the nearest alcove and started firing again.


Nathan plastered himself against the back of one of the altars. Peering around the end, he aimed his wand for the closest hooded figure.


” Aculeatus Vena!” Nathan growled.


Augustus Rockwood’s hood slid back as his back arched, the blood stinging hex sending fire through his veins. Nathan held his wand steady, the ache from his heart fueling the spell. Rockwood screeched and twisted as he tried to find relief. He fell to the floor and did not move. Nathan pulled back his wand and surveyed the room.


He subconsciously ran his thumb over the underside of his wedding band. His mind left the battle as he stopped and looked down at his left hand. He rubbed his thumb over the gold again. His heart dropped. It was cooler. Frantically, he pressed the forefinger of his right hand into the band and searched for warmth. It was so faint. Nathan looked up at the room in desperation, not seeing the wand pointed directly at him.


Nathan’s ribs cracked on impact as the hurling curse flung him into solid stone. He slid down, sending urns scattering.


“Nathan, are you alright?” Lupin shouted as he covered him with a blasting charm.


Nathan nodded numbly and struggled to his feet. His insides were torn. He could feel the ribs poking him from the inside out. The room in front of him swam before his eyes, thick with smoke, dust and magic. His wife and baby were out in the tunnels…


“Nathan!”


Tonks’ yell brought Nathan’s attention back to the chamber and the pain running rampant in his chest and side. His attention was caught by the cloaks of two short, rumpled looking figures, rounding the end of the giant urn in the middle of the floor.


“You alright?” Tonks shouted.


Anna would be very pissed if he left this fight right now. He knew that for a fact. Nathan touched his ring. It wasn’t cold yet.


Nathan gave Tonks a quick, apologetic nod. Clasping one hand around his ribs to hold in the pain, he raised his wand toward the middle of the room and the two figures making their way around the twins’ urn. Nathan narrowed his eyes in recognition. Alecto and Amycus, brother and sister. He dug them all up, didn’t he, Nathan thought wryly and took aim.


”Conico!” he hissed and sent the siblings hurling backward into the urn. His mind a blank, Nathan didn’t wait for them to fall before firing again. ”Ossis Fractus!” Identical screams reached his ears as bones shattered within the siblings limbs.


Stiffly, Nathan slid against the wall toward the ragged opening on the other side of the chamber. He ducked as a bludgeoning charm smashed into the wall where he had been moments before. Nathan growled, flung his wand hand forward and stopped, a stab of pain radiating from his forearm. He stumbled, blinded by the fierce burning from the mark on his arm. His feet hit fallen debris, tripping him up and sending him into a burial shelf. Nathan hissed and clenched his middle as he slid into a century old skeleton, crunching bones to dust.


The air had changed in the burial chamber. It was charged, thick and cold. Nathan’s nostrils flared as he straightened. He knew the Dark Lord wasn’t here for him. The Dark Lord wasn’t here for Anna, either, but Anna wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for one of the misguided fools who followed him. No, Nathan thought, leveling his wand at Voldemort’s followers, Anna would be here, fighting the good fight if she could. She’s a Gryffindor, after all, and she’d be yelling at you to quit acting like a self-serving Slytherin.


Moving on automatic, he planted his feet and the magic flowed. Two years of teaching defense had honed a lifetime of being on the defensive. Using the ache in his heart to feed his magic, Nathan channeled his anger into the Death Eaters before him.


++++


From the side of the ragged opening in the wall, Moody peered around the burial chamber. His normal eye followed the group who progressed toward the center of the room. His magical eye spun upward and focused on the glowing moon-like orb hanging from the ceiling. He knew where the Dark Lord was going. Moody pushed himself off the wall and started to make his way toward the center and Voldemort.


Moody’s normal eye blinked. That was as long as it took Voldemort and his guard to disappear.


“NO!” Moody roared as he saw a remaining Death Eater point his wand up at the orb. “REGERO!


”EVERTO!


Moody’s spell hit Jugson in the chest, throwing him over the nearest stone altar, but it was too late. The Death Eater’s demolishing spell exploded into the orb, effectively dousing the light and the Disapparation portal. Shards of shimmering silver crystals fell like icicles to the floor and smashed into tiny bits of glass. A piercing scream became a gurgle as a large dagger of moonlight speared Avery to the floor. Moody lit his wand, looked up at the hole in the ceiling and swore.


“Where is he?” Minerva snapped, her back to Moody as she fired a cutting spell at one of the Death Eaters left. “He was just here!”


“Disapparated,” Moody growled, “and destroyed our way out of here.”


“What do you mean destroyed our way out of here?” Minvera asked crossly as the Death Eater slumped to the floor.


“The Disappartion point was tied to the moon,” Moody answered.


Molly heard him and stopped still. Her face lost all color as she whispered what she knew in her heart to be true. “He’s gone to them.”


“What do you mean, Molly?” Arthur asked beside her. He rubbed his chest where the blasting curse had hit.


“He’s gone to find Harry and Ginny,” Molly rocked back and forth. “I have to go ““


“That will be a bit difficult at the moment, Molly,” Moody replied as he scanned the chamber.


“Nothing is too difficult, Alastor!” Molly shouted.


“Just give me a minute, Molly!” Moody barked, studying the empty space in the ceiling’s sky.


“Mum!” Fred skidding to as top next to her.


“Fred! Thank Merlin you’re alright!” Molly cried.


“Yes, Mum, but Percy “ he’s hurt ““


Molly shook her head in confusion. “Percy? Hurt? Where?”


“Just outside “ he needs help. He can’t get out of here on his own ““


“Go get him, Molly, and bring him back here,” Moody ordered.


“I’ve got to go to Ginny ““


“Molly! We’re here for Harry and Ginny. Get Percy to safety,” Minerva ordered. “Then yes, do come back.”


Molly stood there, torn with indecision.


“Mum! He needs help, now!” Fred shouted as he pointed his wand at one of the few remaining Death Eaters in the chamber.


“Right,” Molly said. “Where is he?”


“Follow me,” Fred said, grabbing his mother’s hand and dragging her toward the far entrance.


“Alastor, exactly how do you expect to get out of here, now?” Minerva asked. “If the Disapparation Point was tied to the moon and now we have no moon ““


“Minerva,” Moody interrupted, “you’re the Transfiguration professor. Transfigure us a moon. We seem to be in need of one.”



++++



“You alright, Nathan?” Remus asked, sliding behind a giant urn opposite the one Nathan was defending.


Nathan did not respond, his eyes cold and focused on the battle scene in front of him.


“Nathan, are you alright?” Remus repeated concerned.


Nathan turned his head to look at Lupin and blinked. Remus shuddered. Never had he seen anything so hollow.


“It’s getting colder, Remus,” Nathan answered in a detached voice.


“What’s “ah.” Remus stopped and plastered himself against the back of the urn. He turned to face Nathan. “Nathan, go. Go find her.”


“No, you need me here,” Nathan shook his head, as a chunk of earth rained down upon him.


“Hey, you two,” Tonks interrupted as she dove around Remus, “enough chit chat ““


“He needs to go find Anna,” Remus nodded at Nathan. Nathan tried to push himself off the ground.


Tonks glanced down at Nathan’s hands. In the glow of the wand light, she could see his thumb moving rapidly over his wedding band as if by doing so he could keep Anna alive a little longer.


“Go,” Tonks echoed Remus’ command.


“But ““


“Nathan, the fight down here is ending. Go get your wife and bring her back,” Tonks ordered. Remus motioned to Nathan’s side. Tonks pointed her wand at his ribs and muttered a numbing charm.


Nathan’s emptiness turned into desperation. “Thank you,” he croaked as he launched himself toward the tunnels.


+++++


Half an hour later, Nathan flung his wand against the wall and dropped his hands to his knees. His head fell forward and his chin hit his chest.


“BLOODY HELL!” he raged to the darkness. “Damn it!” Nathan swore, his voice thick with emotion. “How much is a man supposed to bear before he breaks?”


Nathan, you aren’t about to break anytime soon.


“Mother?” Nathan asked and pushed himself off his knees. There was no answer. “Brilliant,” he sighed. “I’m now going insane. Accio Wand.


Insane would not be a good look on you, Nathan.


Nathan’s fingers closed around his wand and he stilled, listening to the sound of his own breathing.


Nathan, I met your wife earlier. She’s absolutely lovely. And somewhat delirious due to lack of water and food. You should really get going.


“I’m hearing things,” Nathan muttered. “This isn’t good.”


Nathan Andrew Borgin, get a move on, will you? I swear! Even as a child I had to ask you to get dressed ten times before you’d slip on a sock. Anna needs you! Your daughter needs you. Go!


A slightly off balanced chuckle left Nathan’s lips. “Hello, Mother.”


Enough with the niceties, Nathan. Go! She’s waiting for you.


“Which way?” Nathan asked to the darkness praying that this wasn’t just his imagination.


Follow you heart, Nathan. Follow your blood. You’ll find her.


Nathan snorted. At least he now knew he wasn’t slipping over the edge. His mind would have given him a direct answer; his mother, not.


With a deep breath, Nathan closed his eyes and let his body relax. He searched within himself, within his blood, for the calmness he needed. He felt warmth flood his veins as he watched his blood flow become steady and strong, the desperation leaving his heart with each beat. Out of habit now, he rubbed his thumb over his wedding band. His heart jumped. The gold was warmer. Nathan’s eyes flew open. He lit his wand and stepped purposefully forward.


You’re welcome, son. Catarina’s spirit called at Nathan’s retreating back.


Nathan felt his heart beating against his broken ribs. His feet crunched on the soil as he walked. His ears strained to hear another set of footsteps. Stopping, he listened. Nothing. He trailed his fingers down the wall and hit an opening for another tunnel. He stopped again and closed his eyes, this time listening to his heart. It pulled him onward. Shutting off all thought, Nathan kept going.


He didn’t hear what hit him.


One minute he was stepping forward, the next, he was doubled over in agony, his hands clutched around a large rock that had been hurled into his broken ribs. He dropped the rock as a force met him in the chest. It was a boot. Someone kicked him. He groaned and pointed his wand. He didn’t have his wand. But someone did. It flared above him, the light temporarily blinding him, as it was shoved in his face.


Without warning, another force hit him, this one soft and sobbing. Nathan swallowed and tried to breathe as arms encircled his neck and a rounded weight pressed him into the ground. He inhaled through his nose and stopped still. Tears slid from the corner of his eyes as he locked his arms around his wife.



+++++


“Where the hell are we supposed to hide?” Ron asked, searching the grounds.


“Ronald! Language!” Hermione scolded.


“Hermione, I really don’t think now ““


“Quiet, you two,” Bill commanded. “Behind the stones, Ron. They’re big. They’re solid. They’ll do. Spread out!”


“Right,” Ron nodded.


Ginny cried out and doubled over, rubbing her arms frantically. “He’s coming,” she whispered hoarsely. “He’s coming.”


“What do we do?” Joanna asked.


“Diversionary tactics?” Ron suggested.


“Exactly,” Bill replied,


Ginny sucked in her breath as the sound of Apparation filled the air. In the shadow of the stone, towering meters above him, Harry peered around the side and counted.


One, two, three, four, five…and…


Harry ducked back behind the rock and glanced down at Ginny who stood hunched over, rocking back and forth. His heart ached at the sight.


“Gin?” Harry whispered. “What can I do?”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and straightened. In the moonlight, Harry could see the tears at the corners of her closed eyes as she bit her bottom lip. Her breathing uneven, she pushed her shoulders back.


“Harry?”


“Yeah?”


“I don’t ever want to feel this again,” she croaked determinedly.


“You won’t,” Harry vowed and leaned down to place a fierce kiss on her lips.


From behind the next stone over, Bill pointed his wand at the group in the inner circle. Harry nodded. Bill slid from view around the edge of the rock.


”Everto!”


The mounds of soil erupted at the Death Eaters’ feet, flinging them backward from the crater created by Bill’s demolishing spell. Black hoods scrambled to take cover as another massive explosion emitted from the end of Bill’s wand creating confusion and chaos.


”Abflamen!” Fleur shouted at Travers who had stumbled out of the smoke.


His arms flailed as he flew back and tripped over the uneven ground. He fell with a thud and threw out his wand. “Callum Consectio!” he shrieked.


“NO!” Bill shouted and flung himself at Fleur. Fleur screamed as the cutting charm slashed across her face, into her shoulder and down her side. Bill’s weight slammed into her throwing her to the ground. Feeling Fleur’s blood soak into his shirt, Bill pushed himself to his elbows and bellowed, “CONFLARO!”


Streams of blindingly hot flame shot out of the end of Bill’s wand and scorched the ground in front of them. A trail of smoking shriveled grass was left in its wake. Blue tinted flame turned Travers’s robes red as the fire danced around the grass and slithered over his fallen form. Travers screamed as he rolled, spreading the smell of burnt grass and flesh.


Bill watched as the Death Eater came to an unconscious smoldering stop against the base of one of the bluestones. Bill sucked air into his burning lungs and crawled to Fleur. Gently, he put his arm around her shoulders and helped shift her to a sitting position behind one of the rocks.


“We need to get you out of here,” Bill said as he dug in his pocket for something he could use as a Portkey.


“I am not going anywhere,” Fleur contradicted. She touched her bleeding cheek and winced.


“Yes, you are,” Bill argued. He pointed his wand at the nub of a quill. “You’re hurt.”


“I will heal,” Fleur replied.


“No ““


“I may not be able to fully participate in the fight, but that does not mean I cannot cause some mischief from back here, non?”


“You’re bleeding ““


“A clotting charm will stop it!”


“You need ““



“Homme idiot! Il pense qu'il peut m'inciter à aller! Vous avez tellement pour apprendre, mon amour!”


Bill sat back on his heels and stared into Fleur’s steady eyes. He reached out and wiped a drop of blood off her cheek. “Did you just call me an idiot and your love all in one breath?”


Fleur smiled and patted his cheek. “Maybe you aren’t so much of an idiot.”


Bill sighed. “We’re wasting time.”


“Oui.”


“You aren’t going anywhere, are you?”


“Non.”


“Fine,” Bill gave in. “But stay here. Use a shield. Be safe!”


“I will,” Fleur assured him. “Now, go! The others, they need you.”


Bill leaned down and gave Fleur a swift, hard kiss on the lips before sliding around the end of the rock. Hunched over, he ran across the clearing and headed for the ditch that surrounded the monument. In the darkness, he didn’t see the Aubrey hole in front of him. The toe of his boot caught the edge and he flew forward. Bill landed with a dull thud on a hump in damp earth. He knew it must be the edge of the ditch surrounding the stones. With a grunt, he rolled over the rise of earth and into the indentation as a spray of sparks lit the air above his head.


“Exanimare!” Bill shouted.


The stunning spell hit the closest Death Eater square in the chest, throwing him into one of the Station Stones. The Death Eater’s head bounced off the ancient rock as he slid to the ground, unconscious. Bill exhaled heavily and picked himself up. Stealthily, he began to circle the monument.


++++


“Neville?”


“What?” Neville shouted back over the sound of the spell battle.


“Is this what the Ministry was like?” Joanna asked as she aimed her wand over the edge of the ditch. “Stupefy!”


“Uh, well ““


“No, Joanna,” Luna said, fashioning a shiny green shield out of mid air to deflect an incoming bludgeoning spell. “The battle at the Ministry was indoors.”


Joanna paused and blinked at Luna. “I knew that.”


”Tundero!


Taken unawares, Neville did not have time to react before Avery’s pounding spell hit him from the side. The spell wrapped itself around his body, picking him up and slamming him down into the ground repeatedly. Bright lights flashed behind his eyelids as his skull hit solid ground.


”Abflamen!” Joanna screamed at the Death Eater who was laughing manically at Neville’s bouncing body.


Avery flew back. His body fell with a thud to the ground, the force of Joanna’s anger feeding the blasting spell. Luna stepped forward, pointed her wand at his twitching form, and bound him to the ground.


Joanna dropped to her knees at Neville’s side. “Neville? Are you alright?”


Neville rolled onto his back and groaned. Joanna gasped at the blood flowing from Neville’s nose.


“Oh doh,” Neville groaned. “Nob agab.”


Luna looked over Joanna’s shoulder. “Perhaps this battle is rather like the Ministry one,” Luna sighed handing Neville a handkerchief.


“Can you sit up?” Joanna asked concerned.


Neville nodded from behind the piece of purple fabric he held up to his nose. He looked over Joanna’s shoulders and his eyes widened.


“Rob! Rob!” Neville shouted.


Joanna whirled around. Without hesitation, she pointed her wand at Ron who was searching the grounds only a meter away. A shield formed, deflecting a stunning spell aimed for him.


“Thanks, Joanna,” Ron panted, shaking his head and refocusing.


“You alright?”


“Yeah, I “ I just don’t know where Hermione went.”


“She can take care of herself, Ronald,” Luna comforted as she sent a pummeling spell toward the Death Eater who had targeted Ron.


“I know that,” Ron answered indignantly. His eyes widened as they landed on Neville’s face. “Neville, are you hurt?”


“Yeb,” Neville confirmed.


Extundo!,” Luna shouted before turning. “Go find Hermione, Ronald. We’re fine.”


Ron flashed Joanna, Luna and Neville a grateful smile and slipped out of the ditch. Hermione could take care of herself. He knew that. But he’d feel a whole lot better if he knew where she was.


Ron took in the lay of the land. A flash of light bounced off the Sarsen stone in front of him blinding him as he fell to the ground. He blinked away the starbursts behind his eyelids. Shaking his head clear, Ron searched the darkness. Ahead of him, he could make out the outline of the fallen Slaughter Stone. He saw the shadow move and a flash of orange shine as a harsh whisper reached Ron’s ears.


”Flatondeo.


Twisting in the air as the inflamed cutting hex sliced into his ankles, Ron clamped his mouth shut to keep from crying out. His legs felt as if he had just run through the brambles at the back of his mum’s garden and then jumped in a bucket of an antiseptic potion. The stinging became worse as the blood began to trickle over his hot skin. Ron threw his hands out to catch himself on the ground and flung his wand over his stomach in the direction the spell came from.


”Contundo!”


The bludgeoning spell bounced off the front of the Slaughter Stone, lighting up the grass in front. Ron tried to stand but the ground was damp and he was too unstable. He cried out as his feet slipped. Nott took advantage of Ron’s instability and fired a pummeling spell. Ron gave into gravity and pitched forward, the spell traveling over his back. He inhaled as he hit the ground. Dirt flew up his nose and grass filled his mouth. Spitting grit, he pushed himself up again.


”Diffindo!” Ron bellowed.


The cutting charm caught Nott on the arm and he screamed. His arm sliced to the bone, the Death Eater stumbled over the uneven ground, loosing his footing in the ditch behind the Slaughter Stone. Ron limped after him. Nott struggled to get up. His wand waved wildly and he shot a stunning spell into the air missing Ron completely. Ron’s eyes followed the trail of light before he lowered his wand and aimed.


”Exanimo!” Ron growled.


Nott gasped as his airwaves closed. His ankles throbbing, Ron kept his wand steady, watching Nott succumb to unconsciousness. Panting, he dropped his wand to his side and leaned against the stone for a moment savoring the coolness of the hard surface against his sweaty face. Gingerly he reached down to touch his ankles and sighed in relief. His skin was tender but touchable and the blood seemed to be clotting.


The crack of apparition told Ron the numbers were increasing. He crouched down and swiped his sleeve across his eyes. Cautiously, he peered around the stone. A sense of relief flooded through him.


“About bloody time,” Ron yelled as Fred and George slid in next to him.


“Making an entrance…,” George proclaimed, hunkering down.


“…is an art form,” Fred finished.


“Where is everybody else?” Ron demanded. He ducked below a flash of sparks. ”Diffendo!” he shouted at the Death Eater who had spotted him. The cutting charm sliced through Jugson’s robes sending him reeling backward with a shriek of pain.


“Coming,” George said.


“You alright?” Fred asked planting a knee firmly in the grass and taking aim.


“Just a few cuts. I need to go after Hermione ““


“Follow your heart, young brother,” George said and fired a bludgeoning spell into the night air.


+++++


A/N “ So, would you believe I’ve spent the last two weeks rewriting this entire chapter? Oy! These past two have been really difficult. There was so much to bring together which yes, made it choppy in places but I appreciate you all hanging in there!

No, this isn’t the end. And I hesitate putting this up only because the next chapters are still works in progress. I hate to leave you hanging, but I’ll hurry as best I can “ I promise!

My many, many thanks to wvchemteach for his endless supplies of ideas. For Anya who finds the missing p’s and q’s. To Bogus7 “ sorry, it’s another long one.

And finally to all my reviewers “ I love hearing what you think. I’ve learned a lot from your thoughts and impressions and I appreciate them all.

Thanks!