Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N - I do not own Harry Potter



Balance





Ginny rolled over and groaned. Her muscles ached with every movement. Her legs, her arms, her heart, her eyes “ it all hurt. And she was thirsty - really, really thirsty. She tried to reach for a glass of water but couldn’t lift her arm. No, wait a minute, she could, but not far enough. It kept hitting something. Her mouth was filled with cotton and her nose was clogged. Annoyed, she tried to open her eyes but they were stuck shut. She tried to lift her hands to rub her eyes and couldn’t. One hand was held fast by something. She tugged at it. The hold tightened. Frustrated, Ginny lifted her free hand and hissed as her muscles complained. She pressed her forefinger and thumb into her eyelids, feeling her eyeballs give a little. She manually lifted her eyelid with her thumb. She saw black.


She blinked rapidly, both eye lids opening as her heart speeded up.


Tom was dead. He was dead. He was dead. Where was Harry?


She couldn’t see anything. Everything was black. Was she dead? Is that why she hurt so much?


“Gin, quit moving. That hurts.”


Ginny stilled and her breathing became shallow. “H-Harry?” she croaked.


She felt a vibration against her eyes as Harry chuckled. She realized she must be pressed against Harry’s chest. Shifting back slightly, she blinked at Harry’s black t-shirt.


“Gin, who else would it be?” he rasped, his voice barely above a whisper.


Ginny’s shoulders shook and the tears came without warning. “I love you, Harry,” she choked and pressed her head back to Harry’s chest.


“I love you, too, Gin,” Harry replied hoarsely.


+++++


“A lot of gumption, it is.”


“A lot of what is what?”


“Gumption, you know, nerve, daring ““


“Boldness, cheek, audacity.”


“Audacity “ I like that. Good choice, Fred.”


“Thank you, George.”


“What are you two talking about?”


“The fact that our young man Harry here has the audacity to canoodle with our little sister in public.”


“I’m not sure I’d call St. Mungo’s a public place ““


“Well, Bill, it isn’t exactly a private place either.”


“Thank you, Charlie.”


“You’re welcome, George.”


“Charlie, you aren’t helping.”


“Bill, you’re beginning to sound a bit like Percy.”


“No I’m not. He’s currently thinks he’s Madame Maxine’s butler. Polished my boots “ “


“Nice.”


“Thanks. You might want to see him later, Ron. Your shoes are looking a bit scuffed there.”


“Yeah, well, when I get done with studying for NEWTs, I’ll be right on it. In the meantime, will someone please tell me why I’m standing here?”


“It’s rather obvious, isn’t it?”


“No, it’s not. I really don’t need to see…that.”


“Neither do the rest of us, which is why we’re here.”


“I get enough of this at school. Can I go get something to eat?”


“Enough of what at school?”


“That, Charlie. I’m hungry. I’m leaving.”


“No, you’re not “ at least not until we’ve had a heart to heart with young Mr. Potter here.”


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake!”


“Strength in numbers, Ron. Come on, chin up.”


“She’ll never let us live this down, you know.”


“She?”


“She “ Ginny, she. You think she’s going to take us harassing Harry lying down?”


“Well, they’re both lying “ “


“Not right now, Charlie!”


“Sorry, Ron.”


“You know, he does have a point there.”


“Not you, too, Bill ““


“No, Fred, really. Anna’s been mentoring Ginny all year. She’s taught her some wicked hexes. I’ve lost count of the number of times Anna has stopped by my desk, her eyes all excited about some new curse she’s taught our little sister.”


“And don’t forget, Harry has gone with Ginny every time she’s gone to spend time with Anna. And did I mention what Harry did to my trunk? Those fangs ““


“Anna told me about those. I wish I’d seen them.”


“They were rather impressive.”


“Fangs?”


“Big ones.”


“Fred?”


“George?”


“Perhaps we should let Mum deal with this.”


“You know, Mum has an excellent way of dealing with these types of situations.”


“Can we get something to eat now?”


“Charlie’s buying.”


“What?”


“Last one home buys lunch.”


“Thanks, Bill.”


“Anytime, Charlie. After you.”


“Thank you, Bill.”


“You’re welcome, Fred.”


“Hmmm….would Percy be a good doorman?”


“Oh, who cares, George! Get going. I’m starving!”


“Ron, you’re always starving.”


“I’m a growing boy.”


“Good thing Charlie’s buying.”


The room fell silent.


Ginny cautiously cracked her eye open as carefully as she could without moving. She relaxed at the sight of the empty room. Snuggling deeper into Harry’s arms, she closed her eyes again.


“They’re gone?” Harry mumbled into her hair.


“Mmm,” Ginny murmured, moving her head up and down against Harry’s chest.


“Noisy lot,” Harry yawned and tightened his hold as he slipped back to sleep.



+++++


Harry propped his trainer on the end of the bed and stretched his hands toward his shoe. He groaned as his fingers waggled just out of reach of the laces. The Healers said it wasn’t surprising his muscles were so stiff. It would take some time for the residual magic to work its way out of his system. Harry sighed in defeat and dropped his hands to the bed.


“Here, dear, let me help.”


Harry looked up at Molly Weasley and grinned. “Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.”


“Harry,” Molly said pointedly as she aimed her wand at the laces, “I think by now you could at least call me Molly.”


Keeping his eyes on his laces which were looping and crossing on their own, Harry felt his cheeks warm. “Thanks, Mrs “ Molly,” he mumbled.


“Mrs. Molly works well, too,” Molly smiled and patted Harry on the shoulder. “Now, are you all set? Do you have everything? Oh “ well, I suppose you didn’t come in with much, did you,” she finished, bustling around the bed, flattening wrinkles.


“I’m ready,” Harry said.


“Good,” Molly nodded once, “I’ll go fetch Healer Meyers then to make sure we can take you to the Ministry.”


“Right,” Harry answered faintly and watched Molly push the door open.


Harry leaned back against the headboard and closed his eyes. It was a good thing Quidditch season was over. He wasn’t sure he’d have enough energy to hold onto a broom, let alone find the Snitch. Healer Meyers had told him and Ginny that it would take some time for them to regain all their physical strength. She had urged them not to rush things. ”No need to see you two back here anytime soon because you thought you could climb a mountain the day you were released!”. And after two weeks of being here, Harry had no desire to return anytime soon.


Granted, the first week he had hardly been aware of where he was. It was the second week that had driven both him and Ginny a bit batty. It seemed that bonded couples who could heal themselves after conjuring such a grand magical force were a bit of a rarity. Every Healer and Trainee Healer wanted the chance to examine them. The guard outside their door had quite the time keeping the curious at bay.


Nathan had finally promised to publish a paper on the whole ordeal just to ease the hounding. Harry had no idea how Nathan would explain what had happened. He certainly couldn’t put into words what he saw behind his eyelids. He just knew that without Ginny, he wouldn’t be alive.


His memory was a mish mash of experiences, rather than pictures. Harry didn’t remember Ron scooping up his body with the help of Hermione or being held so close that Healers had to pry his best friends’ hands from his body at the hospital. Molly had cradled Ginny to her breast, Fred and George, supporting her legs and head as they used a Portkey to get here. He had been cold for a long time after that “ not a simple chill, a frozen icy grey cold that kept him suspended in time.


Then, all of sudden, as if someone had rolled up the shades and sunshine had speared his eyes, the color of fire flooded his system. Greyish-blue was replaced with oranges, reds and yellows. He felt warmth up and down, from his toes to his scar and out through the tips of his mussed up hair. His mind reached out for that warmth and grabbed hold. He pulled it into him and wrapped his heart around it. Then, when he knew he had a good hold on it, he pushed it back again “ not letting go, but stretching it, expanding it, strengthening it.


To wake up the next morning with Ginny in his arms had been…right. It had been good. She was exactly where she should have been and no one would ever be able to convince Harry otherwise.


Over the course of the next few days, he and Ginny worked on restoring their bond. The once well woven fabric of their lives and love had taken a beating. It was ragged, torn and stretched beyond its limits. But, at the same time, it was still there, attached and waiting to be built up again. Harry had tried to help, sinking into the ribbons and working with them. Ginny, though, had to keep coming in after him - tweaking what he did, reweaving loosened ends, adjusting the patterns so they glowed brighter. In the end she became so frustrated she told him to quit. Harry felt a little guilty, but had to admit, Ginny knew what she was doing. In the end, their bond was stronger than ever, the ribbons now rich, vibrant colors that showed all the signs of a bond meant to last for the ages.


“Hey you,” Ginny said softly, breaking through his thoughts with a gentle kiss on his lips. “Healer Meyers says we’re free to go. Want to?”


“With you? Always,” Harry answered, opening his eyes and holding out his hand.


Ginny wove her fingers in with his and smiled. “Let’s go then. Dad says Moody’s been driving everyone even more batty than normal. He’s taken ‘constant vigilance’ to new levels “ not that anyone can blame him, mind you.”


“Then we’d better hurry up,” Harry said pulling the door open.


“Yes, we better,” Ginny nodded, leading Harry through the doors.


Nathan stood next to Molly in the small waiting area across from their room. Healer Meyers was doing her best to answer all of Molly’s questions on post-release care. Healer Meyers was used to concerned parents such as Molly Weasley. She was a mother first and a Healer second. She knew well that a mother felt in control when armed with as much information as possible “ even when the patients were going back to Hogwarts and being placed in the care of Poppy Pomfrey, a nurse Healer Meyers would trust with her own care.


Nathan stepped around Molly and approached Harry and Ginny.


“Are you two ready?” He gave them a searching look.


Harry glanced at Ginny who smiled encouragingly.


“Yes, sir,” Harry answered, returning Ginny’s smile.


Nathan nodded and reached out to touch Molly’s elbow. “Excuse me, Molly, Healer Meyers “ it’s time to go.”


Healer Meyers smiled warmly at Harry and Ginny. “It’s been a pleasure working with the two of you, although, I’m not sure I did all that much.”


With a glance over her shoulder, Healer Meyers stepped forward and gave both Harry and Ginny a quick hug before leaving them.


Nathan cleared his throat. “Next stop, the Ministry.”


++++


Arthur met the group by the lifts and led them down to the Department of Mysteries where Alastor Moody waited impatiently for them. Moody levitated a non-descript burlap sack in front of him. Without a word, he pushed the door at the end of the hallway open and led them through the department to the Veil.


Harry paused at the top of the stone risers. In all the time they had worked on the spell, and in all the time that Harry had known this time would come, he had not really thought about what being back in this room would mean.


The voices behind the curtain beckoned forth memories of the last time he had been here - the last time he had seen Sirius. Harry felt Ginny wrap her arms around his middle. He put his arm around her shoulders and held her close. He looked down into her eyes which looked up at him filled with love and hope and promise.


Harry’s blinked rapidly against the growing moisture at the corners of his eyes. How could his heart expand and constrict all at the same time?


“He would have been very proud of you,” Ginny whispered.


“Thanks, Gin,” Harry leaned forward and kissed her. Harry understood now that Sirius hadn’t left him anymore than his parents or Dumbledore had. They would always be a part of him because he would never forget them. “Come on,” Harry said, dropping his arm down and clasping Ginny’s hand. “I think I can hear Sirius behind the veil telling us to get a move on.”


Ginny giggled and earned a reproving glance from Moody. Schooling her features into a more serious expression, she followed Harry slowly down the steps.


Moody stood between them and the veil. With little ceremony, he removed his wand and the sack fell at Harry’s feet.


“Here you go,” he said gruffly.


Exhaling slowly, sack in hand, Harry and Ginny stepped toward the veil. The murmur of voices floated through. Unlacing his fingers from Ginny’s, Harry carefully opened the bag and reached in. Slowly, he drew out the circlet. Harry had the obscure desire to stand there, Ginny by his side, admiring the headpiece, reflecting on the stones and what each one meant. But now was not the time. Swallowing hard, Harry drew back his arm and threw the circlet containing the essence of the man once known as Tom Riddle through the Veil.


Harry held his breath. The voices faltered. The Veil glowed. Moody bellowed.


“COVER YOURSELVES!”


Harry flung himself at Ginny who dropped to her knees. Through shut eyes, Harry could see the flash of blinding light. A wail pierced his ear drums. A chorus of shrieks bombarded his mind and his scar flared with fire. As fast as it began, it ended and room was filled with silence.


Ginny could feel Harry’s heart beating wildly against her back. She could feel his breath, short and fast against her cheek. It took a moment for her to realize the buzzing in her ears were the voices resuming their murmuring behind the veil. She felt Harry shift.


“Are you alright?” she asked concerned.


“Yeah,” Harry nodded. He leaned back and squinted as he rubbed his palm over his scar. “I suppose that’s the last time that will happen.”


“Your scar?”


“Yeah,” Harry repeated. “What was that?”


“Balance of power restored,” Moody growled from behind them. “Something that evil being thrown into the mix probably caused it.”


“Good versus evil,” Nathan commented as he straightened up. Cocking his ear to the veil, he smiled. “Sounds like we won.”


“Thank goodness,” Molly exclaimed while she inspected Harry and Ginny for additional damage.


“Thank goodness, indeed,” Nathan agreed. “Now, if you’re up to it, I believe it’s my responsibility to make sure I get you back to school. NEWTs are fast approaching “ next week, in fact, in case you forgot.”


“No,” Harry sighed and shook his head. “Hermione visited yesterday.”


Nathan chuckled. “Alright, then. I’ll meet you up top.”


Harry nodded.


“Can you believe it’s done?” Ginny asked quietly at his side, her eyes on the veil.


Harry turned slightly to watch the curtain wave. It was done.


“Yes. No. I don’t know,” Harry answered honestly.


“I know what you mean,” Ginny agreed.


Harry watched the fabric ripple to the vibration of the voices behind it. He smiled wistfully. “You know, Luna says that her mum’s one of those voices.”


“I would like to meet Luna’s mother one day,” Ginny said softly.


“I would too,” Harry replied. “Gin? Do you think that maybe, well, my mum and dad and Sirius…:” Harry’s voice trailed off as his eyes watched the curtain sway.


“Yes, Harry,” Ginny replied, her voice hushed. “I do. I really do.”


A featherweight sensation overtaking him, Harry took a deep breath and smiled. “I do, too,” he said, “I do too.”


Harry took Ginny’s hand and gave the veil one last look before he joined her in climbing the stairs.


++++


Harry stumbled as his feet sunk into the rug covering the floor of the Headmaster’s office.


No, he thought slowly, righting himself, Headmistress.


Dumbledore’s dead. He jerked forward as the impact of that thought slammed into his stomach.


“You alright?” Ginny asked from his side. Her hands clutched the inkpot which had served as their Portkey back to Hogwarts.


Harry couldn’t push words past the lump forming in his throat. He nodded and lowered his head. He wasn’t ashamed of the glistening in his eyes. Nor was he afraid to share his sudden grief with Ginny. He would share anything with Ginny. But somehow, this first wave of sadness - this first part of saying, “Farewell” - this thing that he had known he would have to face but had pushed off to this point “ this was private. This was between his heart and a man he did not always agree with, but who he respected and honored. And loved.


Ginny felt the ribbons stretch as Harry’s heart constricted. She understood. Some things simply needed to be sorted out inside before they were brought forth to be examined. She closed her eyes. The ribbons relaxed and gave a little tug. She blinked and smiled a small, understanding smile. Stepping forward, she slipped one hand around Harry’s upper arm; her bonding hand she linked with his.


Harry tightened his grip on Ginny’s hand. He felt a softness form around the sharp pain in his chest, dulling it, protecting it. Ginny’s love didn’t make it go away. Instead, it made it easier to bear. Harry turned and rested his forehead against Ginny’s and closed his eyes, allowing his heartache to blend with hers, making their grief a shared burden.


Moments passed before Harry leaned back and blinked rapidly. Ginny uncurled her hand from Harry’s arm and placed her palm against his cheek. Raising herself up on her tiptoes, she placed a soft kiss on Harry’s lips.


“I miss him,” Harry whispered.


“I know,” Ginny answered. “I do, too.”


Harry straightened up and took a deep breath. He let his eyes drift around the office. Things haven’t changed all that much, he thought.


Hands linked, Harry slowly led Ginny around the office in silence, the fingers of his free hand lightly dancing over the treasured objects on the tables and shelves. He smiled at a golden glove with a bent arrow on top. He’d bent that arrow when he threw it against the wall at the end of his fifth year.


Fawkes’ perch stood empty behind the desk. Nathan had mentioned Fawkes had not returned to Hogwarts after the battle. He had flown off into the dawn and not turned back. Nathan said not to worry. Fawkes’ home was here. He would return.


Harry stepped from behind the desk and stopped at the cupboard with the Pensive in it. The door stood slightly open. Carefully, Harry slipped his fingers through the crack and opened the door. The stone bowl stood there, waiting, as it had ages ago. Harry ran his finger around its rim.


If he dove in, head first, maybe…


Standing next to Harry, Ginny’s eyes perused the portraits on the wall. One of them smiled at her. Her heart clogged her throat. The portrait winked at her. She smiled back and titled her head in the direction of Harry. Dumbledore nodded.


“Hello, Harry.”


Harry stopped still, the guilt at being caught - again - froze his hand above the pensive. Reality choked him and he almost laughed. Then, he closed his eyes to keep the tears from coming. He had known part of Dumbledore would be here. In the back part of his mind, the part where he could put things to forget, he had known. But up to this point when he had to turn and see him up there…up to this point, Harry could still make himself believe his headmaster was alive.


That he hadn’t really perished in the tunnels.


That he hadn’t died to save them.


“Harry, it’s alright.”


Harry didn’t have to see the love Ginny was pushing into their bond to know it was there. He felt it flow through him and cushion his heart against the ache. He squeezed her hand and opened his eyes.


“Professor,” Harry said, his voice a scratchy whisper.


“Hello, Harry,” Dumbledore’s portrait replied. “And good evening, Ginny. I’m glad to see you both here.”


“Thank you, sir,” Ginny replied quietly.


“There are not enough words in any language to tell you how proud I am of you,” Dumbledore said.


Harry cleared his throat. “Thank you, sir.”


“Harry, there’s a book there I want you to have “ about a young boy who didn’t always follow the rules. He spent his days riding a river, getting into scrapes, chasing a pretty girl named Becky. Funny enough, his name was also Tom.”


Harry’s eyes narrowed.


“Don’t hold that against him,” Dumbledore chuckled.


“Yes, sir,” Harry replied, stepping toward the bookshelves.


“And Ginny?” Dumbledore said quietly. “Take good care of him, won’t you? I would like to see many young messy haired red headed students in due time.”


Ginny blushed furiously as a loud thud was heard from behind the shelves.


“Oh, good, you found it, Harry,” Dumbledore noted amused.


Harry peeked around the end of the shelves, the copy of Tom Sawyer clutched to his chest.


“Read it and remember, Harry,” Dumbledore instructed, “life is about living. And it’s your turn to live now, Harry.”


Harry felt the tear escape and slide under the rim of his glasses. He sniffled and nodded. Ginny stepped up to him and wrapped her arms around his middle and squeezed. Dumbledore smiled gently and sat back in his chair.


“Now, I am sure you have someplace better to be than talking to an old portrait like me,” Dumbledore’s painted self observed. “I’ll be here when you need to chat. Now, go. The celebratory feast is waiting. Perhaps you can see if you can nick me some pudding?”


The silence was broken with Ginny’s giggle.


With a wave and a wink, Dumbledore dismissed them.


+++++


A picture of his mum and dad.


A picture of Sirius, Lupin and his dad.


A copy of Tom Sawyer.


Everyone who held a special place in his heart was represented on the table beside his bed. Everyone except Ginny. But then again, Harry thought, as he twirled the bonding braid he wore around his wrist, he carried her in his heart wherever he went.


Still, a picture might be kind of nice. Except for the ribbing he would get from Ron about having a photo of his little sister next to his best mate’s bed.


Harry grinned and glanced over at the photo Hermione smiling brightly and waving at him from a frame on the table next to Ron’s bed. Right back at you, mate.


His parents were gone. Sirius was gone. Dumbledore was gone.


Harry drew in a deep breath in preparation for the anger to overwhelm him but it didn’t come. He felt numb and a bit hollow. He rubbed the band of colors he wore with his thumb. He felt warmth. And for the first time, in a very long time, he felt hope “ a hope that bubbled forth and consumed him.


Voldemort was gone.


Harry glanced around the dorm. Everyone was gone. He snorted. Everyone was at the feast.


His heartstrings tugged in the direction of the door. Harry closed his eyes and tugged back. Ginny’s giggle floated through the air before her as she entered the dorm.


“Hey,” she smiled and stopped in front of him.


“Hey, you,” Harry answered, wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him.


“You alright?”


“You know, you’ve asked me that already tonight,” Harry said, sliding her hair out of the way so he could place a soft kiss on the side of her neck.


“Well, you’ve, ah, looked a little lost,” Ginny sighed and smiled as she closed her eyes.


“I’m not lost,” Harry replied as he tugged her down on the bed with him.


“No?”


“Nope.” Harry slid his hands into her hair and pulled her lips to his. “I was just missing something.”


“Did you find it?” she whispered.


Harry stopped, Ginny’s breath warm against his lips, his eyes bright with intensity. He grinned widely and pulled her against him. “No, she found me a long time ago.”


Ginny’s cheeks flushed and Harry laughed. Feeling complete, Harry pressed his lips to hers and vowed to spend every day for the rest of his life trying to make Ginevra Molly Weasley blush.


+++++


“Oh!” Ginny exclaimed as the flash of Colin Creevy’s camera blinded them.


“Hello, Ginny! Hello, Harry!” Colin greeted them excitedly from just inside the doors to the Great Hall. “Ever since Ron said you were coming home tonight for the feast, I’ve been waiting here. I wanted to make sure you had a picture to remember iy by.”


“Thanks, Colin,” Harry replied as he blinked the stars away.


“Colin, I believe I have found evidence of a Gacklebeary Mouse under our table. Would you mind coming and documenting it for The Quibbler? Oh, hello, Harry. Hello, Ginny.”


“Hi Luna,” Ginny smiled. “How are you feeling?”


“I’ll be better when they remove the mouse carcass,” Luna commented. “Gacklebeary Mice are known for eating through shoe leather and feasting on human toe nails. I rather like my toe nails. I’ve charmed them with the Hogwarts’ seal for tonight’s celebration,” Luna explained as she linked her arm with Colin’s. “Come along, Colin, before someone feels a nibble on a shoe.”


“For some reason,” Ginny said and took Harry’s hand once more, “I’m not all that hungry anymore.”


Harry chuckled. “Me either. Come on, Ron’s waving at us.”


For seven years, Harry had walked the tables of the Great Hall. He was used to the eyes following him, generally combined with whispers of all volume. Tonight the eyes followed both him and Ginny. However, the whispers didn’t. In fact, as they made their way to the seats Ron and Hermione had saved for them, the Great Hall fell silent. The sound of Professor McGonagall pushing her chair back resonated off the walls. She cleared her throat.


“Since you’ve all decided to quite down, I’ll take this opportunity to say something,” she started and folded her hands together. “Many rumors have been circulating as to what occurred in the tombs under Stonehenge and on the ground above it. Some things we will never know for sure.


“This war has been costly. Not only has Hogwarts suffered losses, but many of you are also mourning the loss of loved ones. For that, I am truly sorry,” McGonagall cleared her throat.


“Professor Dumbledore would not have liked us to dwell on the past. As his portrait constantly reminds me, he was a man of forward thinking. And thinking forward means the start of exams.”


Hermione rolled her eyes as a collective outcry filled the hall. “Really! What did they think? NEWTs would be cancelled?”


“OWLs and NEWTs will begin as scheduled on Monday so I would suggest you enjoy the feast and then resume studying immediately.” Professor McGonagall blanketed the tables with a meaningful look. Her gaze came to rest on Harry and Ginny.


“I would also like to take this opportunity to say the wizarding world “ well, the entire world “ owes a thank you to Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley, along with their friends for giving us the reason to have this feast.” McGonagall nodded her head once in a silent ‘thank you’. “And,” she raised her voice, “because both of them have exams coming,up just the same as you do, please refrain from asking them to recount detail by detail exactly what went on.”


“Yes, you may read Monday’s edition of The Quibbler to get an account,” Luna called out from her seat next to Colin Creevy who was sitting at the Ravenclaw table.


“Thank you, Ms. Lovegood,” McGonagall acknowledged. “You may now return to your meal.”


Harry spread his napkin in his lap. Deciding it was a celebratory feast and therefore he was allowed dessert first, Harry reached out for the serving spoon stuck in the Treacle Tart. He glanced down the table at Ginny whose hand was mid way between the bowl of mashed potatoes and her plate. Harry realized no one else was moving.


The sound of two hands coming together interrupted the stillness. The one pair was joined by another. And another. Goosebumps ticked Harry’s arms as he felt the bench wobble. People were standing up. They were applauding.


They were applauding him and Ginny. And Ron and Hermione. And Luna and Neville and Joanna. Benches scraped as they were pushed back. A shout of excitement rose above the applause. Hermione ducked her head. Ron sat there grinning. Neville looked somewhat stunned. Joanna was speechless. Luna poked Colin in the side and motioned for him to take a photo.


Harry felt someone pull him up. For a moment he felt lost. Then, Ginny’s hand slipped into his as she too stood up. Students patted him on the back. They shook his hand. One first year Hufflepuff girl even flung herself at him and hugged him. Harry laughed.


In the midst of it all, Harry glanced up at the staff table. Hagrid raised his mug in a toast. Harry grinned back. Professor McGongall smiled proudly at him. Harry flushed. Harry caught Nathan’s eyes as he pulled out a chair for Anna to sit in. Nathan nodded his greeting. Anna blew him a kiss. Harry ducked his head and reveled in the sound of Ginny’s laughter filling his senses. Freeing his hand from Seamus Finnegan’s grasp, Harry wrapped his arms around Ginny and lifted her off the ground. Planting a solid kiss on her lips, he heard Ron groan.


It was good to be home.


++++


In the end, Harry was rather glad he hadn’t had more time to fret about NEWTs. Armed with the knowledge that he would be returning to Hogwarts next year as a part-time student, Harry had skimmed his notes and hoped for the best, finding it very hard to get worked up about the whole thing (much to Hermione’s annoyance). Voldemort was gone. He had passed the ultimate exam. He was done.


And before anyone else knew it, so where they. Hermione spent two days wringing her hands and twittering about what answers she gave and if they were correct. Ron, fed up that his girlfriend was spending more time with her nose in books double checking answers now that classes were done than she did during school, had Dobby confiscate all of them and hide them while they were breakfast. Harry then hexed her trunk. Hermione raged at Ron until he planted his lips on hers efficiently silencing her and emptying the common room simultaneously.


With exams over, students were spending their last day at Hogwarts outside, enjoying the sun and freedom that came with knowing their world was safe again. Ginny smiled, her eyes closed, the sun warm on her back. She lay stomach down on a blanket by the lake. Harry was running his fingers through her hair, watching the strands slip and slide through his fingers, his mind a blissful blank.


Off to their right, Ron leaned against a tree and Hermione rested her back on his bent legs. Hermione had decided to forgive Ron when she approached Dobby to see if she could get her books back. Dobby had informed her that Mr. Wheezy had given Dobby the last of his Honeydukes chocolate and three Chocolate Frogs for helping. Dobby was sorry, but he had already eaten the chocolate and therefore, had nothing to give Ron back if he were to “un-do” his actions. Hermione had flown back to the common room and threw herself into Ron’s surprised embrace. Luckily, it was a beautiful day and the Gryffindors, who had no desire to witness another snogging session, had headed outside.


Luna was perched on a rock floating pieces of stale bread on the lake. Periodically, a tentacle would gracefully break through the water, snatch a piece of bread and disappear below the ripples.


“Mind if we join you?”


Ginny lifted her head from the cushion of her arms and smiled at Neville and Joanna who has stopped, hand in hand, a meter away.


“Feel free,” Ginny waved and picked up her wand and lazily expanded the blanket.


“Thanks,” Joanna smiled. She sat down and crossed her legs. Neville settled himself next to her.


“So, Harry, what are you doing this summer?” Neville asked as he titled his head back to let the sun warm his face.


“Well, I “ mean, we,” Harry nodded at Ginny, “have been accepted as interns at Gringotts in their Curse Breaking department.”


“Really?” Joanna asked excitedly, “that sounds fascinating!”


“Oh, I don’t know about that,” Ginny turned over on her back and propped herself up on her elbows. “Bill keeps telling me he’s thrilled to finally have someone he can make scrub out the vaults.”


“It won’t be that bad,” Harry chuckled. “Anna’s in charge of it. She wouldn’t make us clean out vaults.”


“Will she be around all that much?” Hermione asked, shielding her eyes from the sun. “Isn’t she due this summer?”


“August,” Ginny answered.


“So, see, we’ll only have to clean out vaults for the last month,” Harry grinned.


“Actually, you’ll get to clean out vaults for the last month,” Ginny teased. “I’ll be helping Neville and Joanna.”


Neville’s cheeks, red from the sun, darkened as Joanna’s eyes lit up. “Happy scrubbing, Harry,” Joanna wished brightly.


“What’s happening in August?” Ron asked drowsily.


“Neville and Joanna are bonding,” Hermione answered.


“Doesn’t that take months?” Ron yawned.


“We’ve already been working on it,” Joanna explained and leaned against Neville. “Ginny and Professor Borgin think that with a few months of intense preparation, we should be able to do it before I head back to school and Neville starts classes.”


“You’re taking classes, Neville?” Hermione asked leaning forward.


“Yeah,” Neville flushed and looked down at his shoes. Joanna squeezed his arm and smiled into his eyes. Neville straightened his shoulders and cleared his throat. “Yes, I’m taking classes. I’ve, uh, been accepted into the Ministry’s Certification program for Herbologists. ”


“Neville! That’s wonderful!” Hermione smiled excitedly.


“Really?” Ginny asked and sat up. “I didn’t know there was such a thing.”


“Professor Sprout recommended me,” Neville smiled broadly with pride. “It’s two years of classes then an internship. I have to do a final project, too.”


“Sounds like a lot of work,” Harry commented. “Good for you, Neville. You deserve it.”


“Thanks,” Neville replied.


“I’m very proud of you, too, Neville,” Luna said airily from her perch. “My father and I are taking a trip to the Australia Outback this summer for pictures of the Double Throated Bushspurts. They are rumored to eat only yellow thistle-reed bushes. If we capture one, I will let you know. Perhaps you can get us some thistle-reed.”


“Uh, sure,” Neville answered slowly as Joanna hid her giggles in his sleeve.


“Speaking of pictures, I need to find Colin. I am hoping he’ll join us this summer. My father needs a new photographer. I think Colin would be perfect. See you tomorrow on the train,” Luna waved and floated off.


“Good luck on those thistle-reed cacti, Neville,” Ron wished.


“Thanks,” Neville chuckled. “Hermione? What are you doing this summer?”


Hermione shook her hair off her shoulders and smiled. “After a break, I’m starting work in the Department of Mysteries as a Researcher. It’s only a junior position, but it should be absolutely fascinating.”


“That’s great, Hermione,” Neville nodded.


“Just watch out for those brains,” Ron quipped.


“Alright, Ron, your turn,” Joanna said when the laughter died down. “What are you doing this summer?”


“Nothing, really,” Ron mumbled, throwing his arm across his eyes.


“Now, that’s just not true,” Hermione scolded. “Go on, tell them.”


Ron sighed and dropped his arm. He squinted in the sun. “I “ uh, I’m just trying out for something,” he mumbled.


“I’m “ I’m sorry, Ron, I didn’t catch that,” Ginny leaned forward. “You’re doing what?”


“I’m trying out for something,” he answered a little louder.


“Something?” Hermione raised her eyebrows knowingly.


“What something?” Harry grinned at Ron’s blush.


“Oh, fine,” Ron muttered and pulled a folded piece of parchment out of his back pocket. “I got this this morning.” He tossed the parchment on the blanket.


Ginny reached forward and started pulling the corners.


“Hey “ be careful with that!” Ron snapped.


“Ron!” Hermione scolded as he pushed her off his legs in his attempt to reach the parchment.


“If you can’t treat it properly, give it back,” Ron argued.


Ginny whipped the parchment up and slapped it into Harry’s open hands. Harry stood up. Ron moved to stand up, too. Ginny pushed herself off the ground and scrambled up to the top of the rock Luna had been perched on.


“Harry!” she shouted.


Harry pointed his wand at the parchment and sent it into the sky. Ron dove for it and Ginny grabbed at it, her hands closing on the parchment while Ron’s grabbed air. Ron fell with a thud to the ground.


Ginny stuck her tongue out at Ron in triumph.


“Oh, that’s mature, Ginny,” Ron grumbled from the ground. “I’m going to tell Bill you did that. Maybe you’ll spend the whole summer in the vaults.”


Ginny turned her shoulder to Ron and straightened out the parchment carefully. Harry, Neville and Joanna looked at her expectantly. Hermione bent down to help Ron up.


Ginny looked up from the parchment, her eyes wide, a smile spreading across her face. She squealed and fell forward. Ron’s arms automatically encircled her to keep her from hitting the ground.


“Ginny! What do you think ““


“Ron! Ron! Ron!” Ginny chanted, squeezing her brother. Hermione beamed at them.


Harry snagged the parchment from Ginny’s grasp. Neville and Joanna leaned in and read over his shoulder.


Mr. Ronald Weasley
Gryffindor House
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry



Mr. Weasley,


Positive scouting reports have indicated that you are a possible candidate for The Chudley Cannons Reserve Team. Congratulations.

Trials for new team members occur the second week in July. If you are interested, we will send you specific details closer to that time. You will need to provide your own broom for trials.

Should you be offered a position on the reserve team, you will be required to report to The Chudley Cannon training facility on August first for a six week intensive training program. You will stay on site with limited family contact. Uniforms and team brooms are provided for all team members.

Mr. Weasley, we hope you consider our offer and look forward to meeting with you in July. Should you be unable to attend, please send your regrets by owl to The Chudley Cannons main office.


Sincerely,


Samuel Edward Lichtenstein


Director, Talent and Scouting


Ronald “ I had the opportunity to see you win the Quidditch Cup at Hogwarts. I believe you would make a very good addition to the team. From what I saw, I don’t think it would take you long to move up from the Reserves. See you in July.




Harry slowly lowered the letter. Along with Neville and Joanna, Harry lifted his eyes to Ron. Ron’s eyes were fixed on the toes of his trainers and his ears matched his hair. Ginny bounced up and down on one side of him. Hermione smiled proudly from the other.


“So, you’re going to play Quidditch,” Harry said evenly, his expression schooled.


“Yeah,” Ron looked up and met Harry’s eyes. “I think I am.”


Harry’s face broke out into a huge smile. “That is so great!” he shouted, wrapping Ron in a back thumping hug. Ron hugged back.


“Yeah, it is pretty great,” Ron laughed as he and Harry separated.


“Get me tickets?” Harry asked hopefully.


“Well,” Ron shrugged, drinking in the pride shining from Harry’s face, “maybe for Christmas I could get you a pair.”


“I’ll bring my Omnioculars,” Harry announced happily.


Ron chuckled. “You might need to. It’s only the Reserves. Who knows what kind of seats I can get.”


“Have you told anyone else?” Ginny asked.


Ron shook his head. “Only got the owl this morning. Thought I’d tell everyone in person tomorrow.”



“Oh! Tomorrow,” Hermione exclaimed. “I have to finish packing.”


A collective groan arose from the group.


“Way to ruin a moment, Hermione,” Ron grumbled, his face still pink with pride.


“Ron, you have to provide your own broom for trials. If you don’t pack it, you can’t try out,” Hermione said pointedly and helped Ginny fold up the blanket.


“How do you know I haven’t already packed it?” Ron asked indignantly.


Five pairs of eyes all shot Ron a look.


“Fine,” Ron sighed and grabbed the blanket from Hermione. “Let’s go pack.”


Together, the group made their way back to the castle.



++++


Anna rested her hands on her tummy and drummed out a rhythm to her baby. To her daughter. Her daughter. Nathan eyes were the size of Galleons when he’d told her, his words filled with awe. Much to Nathan’s annoyance, Anna had just laughed. Nathan had demanded to know what was so funny. Anna had wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes and shook her head. Nathan didn’t need to know what she had been like as a child. He’d find out soon enough.


It was shortly after this conversation that Nathan voiced a concern that had been floating around Anna’s mind, too. While Professor McGonagall had graciously offered them a larger space in the castle, they had agreed that Hogwarts really wasn’t the best place for a baby. When they broke the news to Minerva, Anna had been surprised at how disappointed Minerva looked. When Nathan had mentioned that they were bound to need some help looking after Baby Borgin at times and Minerva had insisted on being put first on that list.


“Excuse me, Anna,” Maggie White of White and Associates Home Finders stopped beside Anna, her eyes on the garden, “exactly what is your husband doing?”


Anna sighed. “I have an idea,” she replied and stepped around Maggie. Anna’s Healer had agreed that a short outing once a day was alright, as long as Anna took it easy. Today’s outing was to find a new home. “I’ll be right back.” Anna pulled the door open and paused, turning back to Maggie. “The home is lovely. We’d like to put an offer on it.”


Maggie perked up. “Good decision,” she smiled. “I’ll start the paperwork.”


Anna stepped into the garden and started down the path toward where her husband was kneeling in the dirt inspecting the bottom of the fence.


“Nathan?”


“Hmm?”


“Nathan, you must stop,” Anna instructed, tapping her fingers on her belly.


“Hmm.”


“Nathan, stop. Now. Or I’m naming this child Obert.”


“That’s nice,” Nathan said and scooted over a meter to prod the ground with his wand.


“Obert Octavia Borgin,” Anna mused.


“Well, since Obert is a German name that means wealthy, that would mean our daughter is a wealthy eighth child,” Nathan grinned wryly standing up and brushing dirt off his trousers. “And unless you’re hiding seven other little Borgins in our new cellar…” Nathan shrugged and looked back at the fence worriedly.


Anna linked her hands around her husband’s arm. “Nathan, we’ll be safe here. I can feel it. Look, Hogwarts is right there,” Anna waved, the turrets of the towers just visible over the fence. “You can put up whatever wards you like as long as guests can still make it to the front door. I promise to never go anywhere without telling you first. Our baby ““


“Anna, I know,” Nathan interrupted and enveloped his wife in a hug. “I know. I’ve lost you twice. I won’t be doing it a third time.”


“I’m not going anywhere,” Anna assured him, her cheek pressed against his jumper, “and don’t you comment on that.”


Nathan squeezed his wife and chuckled. “What? You’re beautiful. A little front heavy, which makes it tough on the Portkeys, but beautiful ““


Anna swatted him and he laughed. “So, is this home?” Nathan asked.


Anna looked at the back of the home and nodded. “It feels like home,” she answered softly.


“Welcome home, Mrs. Borgin,” Nathan said as he placed a soft kiss on his wife’s lips.


“Welcome home,” Anna repeated happily.


++++


Harry stepped into the Headmistress’ office and stopped at the sight of Professor McGonagall behind Dumbledore’s desk. She looked so small. Harry grinned. Anyone who would consider Minerva McGonagall small didn’t know much about Minerva McGonagall.


“Good afternoon, Mr. Potter,” Professor McGonagall greeted standing up.


“Professor,” Harry said, stepping forth.


“Are you packed?” Professor McGonagall shot Harry a knowing look.


Harry grinned at Professor McGonagall. Minerva shook her head and cleared her throat.


“Harry, while you and Miss Weasley were in St. Mungos, the school held a memorial service for Professor Dumbledore.” McGonagall swallowed, her voice softening. “Obviously, you were unable to attend.”


Harry nodded. His eyes traveled to the portrait on the wall where Albus Dumbledore sat, leaning forward in his high back chair, attentively listening.


“I would like to give you and Miss Weasley the opportunity to say good-bye, if you like,” Professor McGonagall said quietly.


Harry’s gaze met Professor Dumbledore’s. He didn’t know if it was a charm or the artist’s great talent, but he could swear the painted eyes twinkled. Then one of them winked.


Harry grinned and returned his gaze to Professor McGonagall who was giving him a rather concerned look. “Thank you, Professor. But, I don’t need to say good-bye. Professor Dumbledore isn’t really gone. He’ll never truly be gone from here,” Harry gestured around the office. “Or here,” he said, touching his chest.


Minerva McGonagall tilted her head to the side. Her eyes gleamed with pride. She smiled.


“Congratulations, Mr. Potter. I do believe you have received an education here.”


+++


“Alrigh’ you lot,” Hagrid snuffled at them from behind his handkerchief. “The train is abou’ t’ leave.”


Hermione let go of Hagrid’s middle and dabbed at her tears. “We’ll write, Hagrid. I promise.”


“I know y’ will.” Hagrid blew loud enough to cause several students to jump and run to the train car doors for fear of being left behind. “An’ good luck t’ ya, Ron.”


“Thanks, Hagrid,” Ron grinned as he shook Hagrid’s hand. “I’ll send you tickets if I get on.”


“I’ll be there,” Hagrid answered and turned to Ginny. “You take care of ‘im over the summer.”


Ginny smiled up at Harry. “I will, Hagrid. And I’ll see you in September.”


“I will, too,” Harry said, holding out his hand.


Hagrid’s hand swallowed up Harry’s. “Tha’s righ’,” Hagrid beamed. “I’ll see the two o’ you next year, then.”


Hagrid released Harry’s hand and rubbed his nose with his handkerchief.


“Don’ go getting’ into trouble this summer,” Hagrid called to them as they turned and boarded the Hogwarts Express.


Harry grinned and waved at the Gamekeeper. “I won’t.”


“Yeah, righ’,” Hagrid grinned back.


++++


“Hey, you two,” Ginny greeted, popping her head into the compartment where Neville and Joanna sat. They were holding hands. Ginny smiled widely. She now knew what Catarina meant when she had told Bill that, “Love serves my purpose.” It would serve Ginny’s purpose well, too.


“Hey, Ginny,” Neville smiled.


“You two want to join us?” Ginny asked. “Harry has a compartment down the way.”


“No,” Joanna shook her head. Neville’s face flushed red. Ginny giggled.


“Oh, well, forgive me,” Ginny took a step back. “Didn’t mean to interrupt anything.”


“We weren’t doing anything ““


“Well, not yet,” Joanna interrupted Neville.


Ginny’s laughter followed her out the car.


“So,” Joanna said, leaning her head on Neville’s shoulder.


“So,” Neville turned and placed a soft kiss on the top of her head. “I was thinking…”


“Good for you.”


Neville chuckled. “I was thinking that if we’re going to be bonding in August, we’ll probably need to do a lot of studying.”


Joanna wrinkled her nose. “Somehow that just doesn’t seem a fair way to spend the summer,” she sighed.


“Yeah,” Neville nodded in agreement, “Harry said it’s a lot of hard work. On top of everything you have to learn, we have to spend a lot of time together.”


“I know,” Joanna nodded. “Lots of time together.”


“It’s going to be terrible,” Neville teased.


“Just awful,” Joanna smiled, lifting her head and raising her lips to Neville’s.


“Worse than detention,” Neville replied against her lips.



++++


“Anyone sitting there?” Ron pointed to the seat opposite Harry.


“Everywhere else is full?” Harry offered.


“Yeah, seven years later and the train is still full,” Ron grinned and slumped down into the seat.


“Lucky for me,” Harry replied honestly. Ron’s face flushed red and Harry laughed. “It’s true. If you hadn’t sat down in that seat ““


“I would have been forced to eat corned beef,” Ron finished for him.


“You hate corned beef.”


“Yeah, I do,” Ron nodded.


“Thanks,” Harry said.


“For what? Hating corned beef?” Ron asked.


“No, for sitting in that seat. For sticking by me.”


“For letting you go out with my little sister?”


“For letting me go out with your little sister,” Harry chuckled.


“Did I have a choice?” Ron raised his eyebrows at Harry.


“No,” Harry shook his head. “But then, I didn’t have much of choice with you going out with Hermione and she’s my bonded sister….”


Ron considered this for a moment before grimacing. “Nope, sorry, still doesn’t even up. Ginny’s still my little sister.”


Harry laughed. “Speaking of such, where is Hermione?”


“Doing her last set of rounds, I think,” Ron said. “Where’s Ginny?”


“She was checking in on Neville and Joanna. She’ll be back in a minute.”


“Right,” Ron clasped his hands over his middle.


“So, the Chudley Cannons, eh?” Harry said.


“Yeah, the Cannons,” Ron nodded, fighting to keep the smile in and failing. “Harry, can you believe it? I’m trying out for the Chudley Cannons!”


“You deserve it,” Harry answered truthfully.


“It’s only the reserves,” Ron mulled.


“Yeah, but you’ll blow by everyone and be first string by mid-season.”


“You ever think about trying out?” Ron asked.


Harry shook his head. “Nah “ well, maybe once or twice,” he grinned, “but I want to be with Ginny.”


“Will you come to the matches?”


“Try and keep me away,” Harry replied, his smile full of pride for his best friend.


“Keep you away from what?” Ginny asked, from the doorway of the compartment.


”Away from Ron’s matches,” Harry said, sliding his arm around Ginny’s shoulders as she sat down next to him.


“I’ll be there,” Hermione answered, dropping down next to Ron.


“Well, I need to try out first,” Ron said and drew Hermione to him, “and then actually make the team.”


“You’ll make the team,” Hermione answered. She placed a kiss on his cheek. “I know it.”


“Thanks,” Ron blushed.


“How are Neville and Joanna?” Harry asked.


“Good. And I’m starving,” Ginny announced. “Has the food trolley been by?”


“A couple of minutes ago,” Harry answered. “I’ll run and get you something if you want.”


“Oh, my hero,” Ginny fluttered her eyelashes at Harry.


Ron snorted.


“Want anything, Ron?” Harry asked.


“One of those Invisishields would work,” Ron answered.


“I think I still have mine.” Hermione leaned down to her bag.


“Then, no, I’m good,” Ron brightened as Ginny wrinkled her nose.


“I’ll be right back,” Harry laughed and slid open the door to their compartment.


Not seeing the cart in their car, Harry headed toward the back of the train. As he entered the next car, a compartment door slid open. Harry stopped and met Draco Malfoy’s cold gaze. The train swayed under their feet as they stared at each other for a moment. Draco’s hand moved slowly to his belt buckle.


“Potter,” he bit out.


“Malfoy,” Harry replied evenly.


Draco stepped back and let the door slide slowly closed. Harry turned, his mouth curving into a small satisfied smile.


+++++


Harry looked out the windows of the train to Platform 9 ¾. It was hard to miss the group of people there to meet them. There were so many of them.


“Merlin, did the whole family show up?” Ron asked.


“Yeah,” Harry chuckled, “I think so.” Harry slung his bag over his shoulder. “You coming?”


“In a minute,” Ron answered as Hermione pushed her way through the exiting students back into the compartment.


“See you out there, then,” Harry answered.


Hermione reached down and went to grab her bag but Ron was too fast. With a smooth move only a Keeper could do, he scooped up her bag and hooked it over his shoulder. Hermione cocked her head to the side.


“Thank you,” she smiled.


“Least I can do,” Ron inclined his head. Looking up, he noticed Hermione’s eyes, shining a little brighter than normal. Ron dropped the bags on his shoulders and reached out for her. Hermione gratefully stepped into his arms.


“I’m sorry,” Hermione sniffled against his jumper. “I don’t know why I’m all teary.”


“You’re going to miss this,” Ron said quietly. His fingers ran through the curls on her back. Hermione shivered then nodded. Ron smiled into her hair. “Hermione, how long did it take you before you became known as the smartest witch of our age?” Hermione hic-cupped. “Alright, how about how long did it take before Harry and I realized that if we didn’t listen to you, we’d be lost?” Hermione giggled. “If I remember correctly, the troll was Halloween. So that was about eight weeks. I’d say you’ll have the Department of Mysteries under your spell in six.”


Hermione sniffled and leaned back. “Six?”


Ron brushed the hair back of her face and smiled tenderly. “Five?”


“Four.”


“Four it is,” Ron agreed and leaned down to kiss her.


+++++


An explosion rattled the windows of the twins’ old room. Harry reached out to steady himself against the wall. Molly Weasley’s voice shot through the Burrow followed by laughter.


Harry loved the laughter. He loved the yelling. He loved the explosions. And most of all, he loved Ginny. And if the last seven years had taught him anything, it was that there was no good reason to wait when it came to happiness. The best thing to do was simply go out and grab it. And grab it, Harry intended to do.


A flutter of wings drew Harry’s attention to the windows. Hedwig settled herself on the sill, a small package in her beak. Harry’s stomach flip-flopped.


“So, that’s it girl?”


Harry stretched out his hand and Hedwig dropped her bundle into it. He sat down on the edge of the bed and studied the parcel.


The way he looked at it, it was a Potter tradition.


Harry pocketed the parcel and headed back downstairs. A layer of pink smoke floated above the crowd gathered in the kitchen. His heart knew where she was, but it took a moment for his eyes to locate Ginny sitting at the far end of the table. From the bottom step, Harry raised his hand to wave at her. Ginny looked up. Harry nodded in the direction of the door.


Remus lifted his tea to his mouth and stepped back to let Ginny by. He glanced at Harry over the rim of his cup. So much like James. Remus smiled into his cup as memories floated through his mind of James…James and Lily…James asking “ Remus choked on inhaled tea and Harry and Ginny slipped out of the Burrow.


“Where are we going, Harry?” Ginny laughed as Harry pulled her through the gardens to the back.


“Here,” Harry said, catching his breath.


Ginny looked around at the familiar clearing. “Did you want to dance?”


Harry shook his head. “Maybe after.” He wiped his palms on the front of his jeans and felt a drop of sweat slide down between his shoulder blades.


“Harry, are you alright?” Ginny asked as she placed a hand on his arm.


“I will be,” he swallowed. “Gin, do you think you could sit over there?” Harry pointed to the rock on the edge of the clearing.


“Sure,” Ginny answered slowly. “Harry, do you “ “


Harry held up his hand and waved her down. Ginny closed her mouth and sat. Harry cleared his throat. Ginny looked at him with concern. Harry looked back, and smiled. Warmth was being pushed into his heart through the ribbons and flowing straight out again throughout his body.


Harry had never been surer of anything in his life. He dug in his pocket and pulled out the small package Hedwig had delivered. Dropping to his knee, Harry set it on the ground and reached for Ginny’s hands.


Ginny was frozen to the rock, her eyes wide, her heart pounding inside her chest. She saw Harry’s mouth move. She barely heard the words.


“Ginevra Molly Weasley,” Harry said, his voice a hoarse whisper, “will you marry me?”


Ginny blinked.


“I mean, not right now,” Harry went on, his hands shaking slightly, “maybe next summer? When we’re both done with school? I mean, it’s just my dad and mum, they “ “


“Yes,” Ginny breathed. Tears welled up in her eyes and she began to nod her head. “Yes. Yes, I’ll marry you. I’ll marry you whenever you want. Yes ““


Harry launched himself forward. Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck. Harry tasted salt as his lips crushed Ginny’s. Ginny felt her feet lift off the ground. Her body was warm “ no, hot “ as the ribbons flared. Pure blinding emotion flooded their bond as the kiss deepened. Ginny wove her hands into Harry’s hair and held on, pressing against Harry to get as close as she possibly could. This was Harry “ her Harry, forever.


Ginny felt Harry’s warm breath on her cheek as he pulled back. She opened her eyes. She laughed.


“Oh!” Harry exclaimed and released his hold on her. “I have something for you.” Leaning down, Harry scooped up the package by his feet. He untied the twine and slipped the paper off. Slowly he lifted the deep blue velvet box lid off to reveal a simple, sparkling diamond solitaire engagement ring. Ginny gasped. “If, uh, if you want something different, we can go pick something out together. I just, uh, I just thought since diamonds show all the colors of our bond, you might like it.”


“Harry, it’s absolutely beautiful,” Ginny whispered.


“You like it?”


Ginny touched Harry’s cheek and nodded. “I love it.”


With shaking hands, Harry carefully lifted the ring out its box. Ginny held her left hand out and held her breath as Harry slipped the smooth polished gold over her finger.


“Wow,” Ginny said.


Harry chuckled as he wrapped his arms around his fiancée. “Yeah, wow.”


The ground shook underneath their feet as another explosion came from the direction of the Burrow. Ginny leaned her forehead against Harry’s shoulder and shook her head.


“You sure you want to be part of this family?” she giggled into his jumper.


Harry put his hand under her chin and tilted her face up. As he lowered his lips to hers, he spoke straight from the heart.


“More than anything.”




++++

The End

++++


A/N - In the author’s notes of The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo, she writes, “Stories are light…Reader, I hope you have found some light here.” I’m borrowing that sentiment because I couldn’t put it any better. I hope you’ve had fun in my story. I’ve certainly enjoyed writing it.

To all my betas, a huge Thank You! To parvatipatil and Anya for being a second set of eyes. To wvchemteach for the endless supply of ideas, suggestions “ without you, this tale a)wouldn’t have been written and b)would have been half as long. Extundo!

To all my reviewers, thank you. You’ve kept me going and thinking and I’ve appreciated every thought, argument and supportive kudos.

And lastly to my family who has put up with Mom’s crazy hobby, thanks!

Now, is there more? If there is, it won't be for a very long time. It’s been over a year since I started posting this tale and I need some time to spend on other pursuits.

It’s been a blast “ thank you!