Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blood of the Heart by kjpzak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer – I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.




Bonds Broken







Blood into Blood…My strength into you…NO! My strength I give to you! Ginny chanted silently as she ran; the notes clutched to her chest and Harry at her side. Abruptly he pulled her into the grove of trees. Bursting into the clearing, they came to a stop, gasping to catch their breaths.


“Okay,” Harry huffed, laying the box holding the blade at their feet. “What do we do?”


“Well,” Ginny answered, catching her breath and flipping through the stack of parchment. “We need to bind our hands. No, wait,” she shuffled pages, her hands shaking; “we need cut our palms then bind our hands – Damn! We don’t have anything to bind our hands with. Where are we going to find something – I don’t –“


“Ginny!” Harry put his hands on Ginny’s shoulder. “Breathe! And put that down!” Harry grabbed at the parchment and took it from Ginny’s panicked grasp. Setting it on the ground next to the box, Harry straightened back up and looked into Ginny’s eyes. “You know this. Catarina said you’re ready. You can do this. I believe you can do this.”


Ginny blinked at him, her mouth slightly open and her hands knotted into fists at her side. Slowly, she exhaled and nodded, her shoulders relaxing under Harry’s hands. “Thank you.”


“No problem,” Harry said smiling slightly. “Now, what do we do?” he repeated, shoving his hands in to his back pockets.


“Open the box and remove the blade,” Ginny said, kneeling on the dirt floor of the clearing. Harry knelt beside her and watched as she lifted the wooden box onto her knees. Slipping her fingernail under the clasp, Ginny lifted the small piece of metal that held the lid shut. Pushing the lid up, Ginny paused for a moment to calm her nerves. With a steady hand, she reached in and removed the cool silver blade from its velvet bed.


”Here, hold this,” she said, placing the knife in Harry’s hand. Harry was surprised at how heavy the knife was. Turning it over, he admired the simplicity of the brushed silver metal, the smoothness of the curved handle and how it rested perfectly in his hand, as if it had been made for him.


Ginny closed the lid of the box and set it aside. “Now, we need something to bind our hands together,” she said looking around for inspiration.


“How about your hair ribbon?” Harry asked, looking at the red silk ends trailing on either side of her ponytail.


“Oh, right,” Ginny smiled, reaching up to untie the knot in the ribbon.


“Now,” Ginny said, holding the ribbon across her knees. “Are you ready?”


Harry grinned in spite of himself. “Can I say no?”


“Funny, Harry, very funny.”


Ginny scooted so she faced Harry, her knees touching his. Holding out her palm, she smiled at him. “Give me your left hand.”


Harry laid his hand palm up on Ginny’s and smiled back. “I love you,” he said quietly.


“I love you, too, Harry,” she replied softly, before sternly saying, “Now, don’t move!”


+++++


Catarina stood at the end of her worn kitchen table studying the trio of wizards. Keeping her features schooled, she stated the obvious.


“So, Tom, you found me. And you brought friends.”


“No one calls me that anymore,” Voldemort sneered, watching her face.


“You will always be Tom to me.”


“You don’t like what you see.”


“You are not the boy I once knew.”


“No, I am better, partly due to you.”


“I do not want any credit for what you have become,” Catarina replied bitterly.


“You could join me again, Catarina. Together, we could do great things,” Voldemort offered, leaning the palms of his hands against the table.


“I have heard that offer before, Tom. My answer has not changed.”


“Your son has,” Voldemort sneered.


“My son has much of his father in him,” Catarina commented, keeping her eyes focused on the Dark Lord. “Why are you here, Tom?”


“For a Blood Bonding.”


“Tom, we’re already bonded. I can’t change that no matter how much I’d like to.”


“You can’t - but I can.”


Catarina saw Nathan’s head jerk up at Voldemort’s word. Look away, Nathan. Look away.


“You are assuming there is someone else you could bond with,” Catarina said casually, fishing to see if he knew.


“There is,” Voldemort smirked. “There is another. And by bonding with her, I will then have her blood within me. You do realize what that will mean, don’t you, Catarina?”


Voldemort slithered around the table. Catarina willed herself to stand still, feeling the Dark Lord’s hot breath bathe her face as he came to stand directly in front of her. Tilting her head back so she could look into his red snake-like eyes, Catarina mocked him defiantly.


“No, Tom, why don’t you tell me.”


“It means I will achieve true immortality. And I will have something Potter wants and will never have.”


“No, Tom, you are mistaken. There will never be another. I will make sure of that,” Catarina said quietly, taking a step back. Nathan, we talked about this. We knew this was a possibility. Please remember that.


“You can’t kill me, witch,” Voldemort hissed.


“No, I can’t. But you will never have what you want by killing me, Tom,” Catarina said. Good-bye, Nathan. I love you.


Voldemort eyes became slits. “You were always a foolish witch, Catarina. Haven’t you learned by now that you cannot stop me?” Raising his wand, Voldemort pointed it at Catarina’s chest and let out a hiss.


“Avada Kedavra”


Catarina threw her hand out in front of her, her palm face forward and closed her eyes, a flash of blinding white light shooting forward.


The flash of green light slammed into the pulsing white light shooting from Catairna’s hand. Exploding in the middle, rays of light touched every corner of the kitchen, bleaching everything a pale green. The killing curse wound its way around the obliteration charm as they passed, each traveling the others’ path. Catarina watched as the white light hit Voldemort, a scream of intense burning pain emitting from his mouth before her world went black.


Shocked and stunned beyond movement, Nathan saw his mother’s body crumple to the floor, helpless to do anything more than just watch. Numb inside, he looked up to see Lucius bending over Voldemort. Shoving his emotions deep below the surface, Nathan stepped over the body of his mother to Voldemort’s side.


“Is he alive?” Nathan asked.


“Yes, you fool,” Voldemort wheezed, clutching his chest. Pushing himself off the table, Voldemort raised his wand, pointing it at Nathan’s chest, his outstretched hand shaking. “What did your mother do to me?”


“She performed an Obliteration Charm,” Nathan answered dully.


Voldemort pushed himself up into a sitting position. “What does that mean?”


“It means your ability to bond has been impaired.”


“Impaired? What does impaired mean?” Voldemort hissed.


“It means exactly what you think it means,” Nathan said, unable to mask his anger entirely.


“And you didn’t think to tell me this was a possibility?”


“If you hadn’t killed her, this wouldn’t be an issue,” Nathan growled.


“And that is why you will never be more than you are.” Voldemort’s breath rasped as he said, “Crucio!”


Nathan fell to the floor next to Malfoy, screaming. As the searing pain lifted, he heard Malfoy fall next to him, his pain echoing his own. Nathan felt Voldemort push up into a standing position, using his shoulders and back as leverage.


“Find me her notes. All of them. On Bonding. On Obliteration Charms. And on the immortality spell. I want to know it all,” Voldemort hissed. With a “POP!” he was gone.


Nathan slowly got to his hands and knees. He saw Malfoy stir beside him. Lucius lifted his head, his reddened eyes searing into his own.


“How could you allow this to happen?” Malfoy sneered.


“Are you questioning my loyalties?” Nathan asked coldly.


“Yes, I am” Malfoy challenged.


“I alter the wards around my mother’s home. I bring you and him here. I watch him kill my mother. And now, you are questioning my loyalties?”


With every word, Nathan felt his insides unraveling. His nostrils flared with anger as he pulled himself up into a standing position using the table for support. Leaning down, he grabbed a fistful of Malfoy’s robes and jerked him to his feet.

“You are not fit to even stand on my mother’s kitchen floor, let alone kneel on it,” he hissed. “Come on. Anything my mother would have would be in here,” Nathan said motioning toward his mother’s library.


Pushing the French doors open, Nathan stepped aside as Chehalis, his mother’s cat bolted out of the room. Chehalis circled his mother’s body, nudging her hand with his nose. When Catarina didn’t respond, Chehalis padded in a circle three times and curled up by her chest, resting his chin on her hand. Nathan realized he wasn’t the only one who had lost someone he loved today. At least you aren’t the reason she’s dead, he thought bitterly.


Turning back to the study, his eyes passed over the overstuffed olive colored sofa. One of Harry’s sweatshirts was strewn across the cushions. Nathan’s gut froze with fear.


Where are Harry and Ginny?



+++++


In one smooth move, Ginny slid the blade across the fleshy part of skin at the bottom of Harry’s palm. Mesmerized, he watched a trail of red follow the silver blade as it moved across his skin. He blinked, realizing it didn’t hurt. He somehow had a feeling it would though if Ginny hadn’t been holding his hand.


Ginny released his hand and turned her own over. Holding the knife with her left hand, Ginny winced as she made an identical cut to Harry’s on her right hand. She then placed the blade on the top of the box. Holding her right hand up, she guided Harry’s left hand so it pressed against her palm. A warm tingling spread from the cut on his hand to his fingertips. Ginny picked up the red silk ribbon lying across her knees and slipped one end between their palms. Wrapping it around, Ginny bound their hands together.


“Now, Harry, I need you to relax and open yourself up to me. Just breathe deep and let me in,” Ginny said calmly as she smiled encouragingly at him.


Harry nodded and took a deep breath. Part of Harry wanted to keep his eyes open to watch this wondrous thing, but the instant Ginny closed her eyes, he felt a pull in his gut that seemed to drag his eyelids shut. He felt himself going under and down, almost as if he was drowning within himself. He thought he should struggle, but a sense of warmth cascaded through his veins and a sense of buoyancy bubbled to the top. His insides swelled with what felt like the greatest happiness he would ever feel just before he felt a pull so forceful it almost physically dragged him forward. He could see in his mind the ties that were forming between him and Ginny, the strings that would never be broken, weaving their lives together.


He felt the tingling sensation in his fingertips spread throughout his arm and travel the length of his body. Behind his closed eyes, he could see a brightness growing around them as he heard Ginny begin to speak softly.



”Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
Our Bond Everlasting


Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
To heal you, To help you


Blood into Blood
We become One
Of heart, Of Flow


Blood into Blood
Our powers united
Our Bond Everlasting”



Harry felt warmth swirling around them, the light becoming brighter through his closed eyes. He wanted to open them but couldn’t; it was if his eyes were glued shut as the magic filled the clearing.


+++++


“How do you expect us to find anything in here?’ Lucius snarled, as he threw another book on the floor. Nathan winced as the pages folded on top of each other.


“Show a little respect for the books, Lucius,” Nathan commented. “They may be above your intellectual capabilities, but someone else might find them interesting.”


Nathan’s wand was drawn before Lucius could find his pocket. “You put your hand in your pocket, Lucius, you’ll be missing your right side.”


Lucius narrowed his eyes at Nathan. “The only reason he hasn’t killed you yet, Nathan, is he thinks Potter trusts you. You will deliver Potter to him, just like you gave him your mother.”


“And why hasn’t he killed you yet, Lucius?” Nathan taunted. “Let’s see, so far, you’ve almost done him in with a botched immortality spell and now you’ve ruined his chances of bonding ever again. I’d say, you aren’t –“


“What do you mean ruined? You told him impaired!”


Nathan felt as if he was teetering on the edge of sanity and laughed shrilly. “Did I say impaired? Oh, look,” Nathan said, holding his arms out to his side, “I’m still alive. And for that matter, so are you. Do you think either one of us would still be here if I’d told him he would never be the same again?”


Rage radiated from Malfoy’s form as he realized once again, he owed Borgin his life. Grabbing the door handles, Malfoy flung the French doors open. “I’m going to look upstairs.”


Nathan slumped into the desk chair behind his mother’s desk, his head sinking into his hands. He felt the tears burn behind his eyelids and he willed them to dry up. His guilt would have to wait until later. Right now, he needed to find something that would satisfy his so-called new master. Tapping his fingers on the desk, Nathan mentally ran through what he could remember of his mother’s work. She had spent several months working on Obliteration charms, jotting down her notes in a book. In his mind, he could see a journal, burgundy cover, brown leather spine...he pushed the desk chair backward and ran into something. Looking over his shoulder, he saw Catarina’s trunk. He recognized this trunk. His mother had called it her treasure chest. She always said everyone should have a treasure chest because everyone deserved to have treasures. Then she would tell him he was one of her treasures, but it just wouldn’t do for her to keep him in the trunk.


Drawing a ragged breath, he spun around and flipped the lid open and peered over the edge. Pitching the papers and books inside onto the floor, he soon uncovered the bottom. Picking at the corner of the paper liner, he grabbed an edge and slowly pulled, revealing a false bottom. Grabbing the letter opener on the desk, Nathan slipped it between the bottom and the side of the trunk. Prying the thin slab of wood up, Nathan put it aside. Reaching inside with both hands, Nathan scooped up the treasures his mother had deemed worthy of hiding.


Dumping them on the desktop, Nathan quickly sorted through the items. He wished he had more time. These were the things his mother deemed treasures. Pushing aside the magical photos of him as a child, he picked up a pocket watch and flipped open the cover. It was his grandfather’s. Shoving it in his pocket, he picked up a Muggle photograph of his mother. She was standing in a park, her head thrown back, laughing. Glancing down, he realized the picture had been resting on the journal. Quickly slipping the photo in between the pages, Nathan tucked the volume in his robe pocket. He knew he would be able to piece something together for Voldemort out of this.


Stepping around the desk, Nathan went in search of Lucius and to make sure his mother’s cottage wasn’t being destroyed in Maloy’s quest for glory. As he entered the sitting room, his eyes were drawn to the sofa. The sweatshirt was on the floor. He stopped. He heard the back door bounce against its frame.


“Bloody Hell!” Nathan swore, as he ran toward the back door.


++++


Lucius stood on the edge of the clearing, not daring to believe his luck. He had never once thought for even a moment that he would fail in his quest for revenge. He just hadn’t expected a glowing beacon of light to lead him to victory, especially one formed by the very prey he sought. This was just too perfect for words.


His mouth curling into a smile that spoke of pure evil, Malfoy raised his wand and targeted Ginny’s chest.


“Crucio,” he hissed.


Ginny’s back arched upward and backward, pulling Harry with her, as she let out a scream of anguish. Harry registered the breaking branches and stumbling footfalls seconds before the searing pain tore through him, his scream matching Ginny’s. It felt as if his blood was on fire. He felt Ginny tear at the ribbon binding their hands and a hand push him hard in the middle of his chest, sending him crashing into the packed dirt floor. Cracking his eyes open, he realized his glasses had fallen off. His mind told his hand to reach out for them, to search for them, but every nerve ending in his body screamed at any sign of movement.


Ginny grasped the cut in her hand struggling to right herself. Tears of pain streaming down her face, Ginny awkwardly stood up, searching for her wand but only finding the blade.


“Don’t come any closer,” she choked.


“I’ll come as close as I want,” Lucius Malfoy sneered. “You think a puny little blade is going to stop me? Besides,” he said, glancing down at Harry’s shaking form, “it doesn’t look like your boyfriend is going to be able to save you now.”


“Harry,” Ginny said, struggling to calm her ragged breathing, “is fine.”


“You have a strange definition of fine,” Malfoy smirked. “It appears I came just in time. You were in the mid-“


“What do you want, Malfoy?” Ginny said coldly, forcing herself to ignore the hammering pain speeding through her veins. Her eyes followed the Death Eater as he began to walk around the edge of the clearing.


“What do you think I want?” he sneered. “I’ve come to make you pay for what you did to me.”


Harry breathed freer as the pain settled into what felt like a gaping hole in his chest. He willed his hand to reach out, his fingers grasping at the dirt and tufts of grass on the ground. His fingers hit something cold and metal. Wrapping them around the object, Harry weakly brought his glasses to his face and slipped them over his nose. Blinking through the dust smeared lenses, he saw Ginny standing over him, one of her hands on her knees for stability, the other on the blade pointing at Lucius Malfoy who in turn was pointing his wand at Ginny’s chest. Harry tried to push himself up, but couldn’t - his limbs a mass of burning, inflamed weight. He thought desperately about the wand in his back pocket but realized he had no hope of rolling over to get it fast enough.


“Malfoy!” Nathan yelled, as he crashed through the trees. “You don’t want her. You want me!”


Malfoy whipped around, his wand directed at Nathan who stood panting on the edge of the clearing.


“I’m the one who could have saved you. She knew nothing. She was merely your puppet. If you want to kill someone, kill me,” Nathan finished.


“I’m going to kill you both,” Lucius leered. “And then I will deliver Potter to the Dark Lord.”


“You are a fool, Lucius,” Nathan countered, moving slowly to position himself between Harry and Ginny and Malfoy. He needed to buy time, time to think, time get Harry and Ginny to safety. “You always were. You were never capable of a single original thought unless it centered on how to improve your life, how to gain you more power and prestige. And now you want to kill a sixteen year old girl for a mistake you made. You are pathetic.”


Nathan’s foot stepped on what felt like a stick. Glancing quickly down, he realized it was Ginny’s wand. Planting his heel in the ground, he pushed it back toward her.


“It was your mistake, Nathan,” Lucius snarled.


“Exactly, Lucius,” Nathan agreed as she saw Ginny slowly lower herself to pick up the wand and Catarina’s notes. “That is why your argument is with me, not her.”


“Kill me, Lucius. Leave the girl out of it,” Nathan said.


Lucius opened his mouth at the same time Nathan turned his head and hissed out of the side of his mouth, “Apparate. Now!”


Nathan dove toward Lucius, knocking his wand up, the spell hitting the ground a meter from Harry’s feet. Ginny fell to the ground on top of Harry, the notes and blade sandwiched between her chest and his. Her wand in one hand, she grabbed Harry’s other hand and closed her eyes. With a “POP”, they were gone.


Lucius screamed as he watched his prey disappear. Jabbing his wand through the air, his curse rang through the clearing.


“CRUCIO!”


Nathan dodged the flash of light, diving behind a tree. Reaching back into his memory of dueling spells his father had taught him, Nathan fired back.


“Ossis Fractus!”


The bone crushing curse exploded from the end of Nathan’s wand, the recoil from his wand throwing him back into the brush, the curse disintegrating a stump to the left of Malfoy. One of the few positive points of growing up in a household focused on the Ancient Arts was Nathan had a stockpile of little known or used curses at his disposal and he had no issue using them all, if need be. Nathan struggled to his feet, his robes catching on the brambles, slowing him down.


“Diffindo!” Malfoy cursed as he stalked Nathan, cutting through the underbrush.


Nathan aimed his wand at the forest floor behind him. “Ferio!” Fallen limbs, rocks, and other debris pelted Malfoy, slowing his progress down and giving Nathan the chance to dive behind a fallen tree. Flinging his arm over the trunk, Nathan sent a bludgeoning curse after the debris.


His arms in front of his face as a shield, Malfoy screamed retaliation. “REDUCTO!”


Nathan felt the tree he leaned on explode, splinters spearing everything in sight, the force throwing him forward onto the forest floor. Gritting his teeth as slivers of wood pierced his skin, Nathan rolled under a fallen nurse log. Malfoy crashed through the underbrush, shouting cutting curses at the objects in his path. Something wet trickled down the side of Nathan’s knee as an aching throb began to travel up the inside of his leg.


Nathan knew from years of study that focusing on the negative emotions caused the blood to boil more rapidly, throwing off a wizard’s judgment, but he was past caring. He craved the loss of inhibitions, the lessening of ethical standards that came with the pure hatred-infused anger flowing through his system. It might be physical instead of emotional, but he wanted Malfoy to hurt as much as he did. Flinging himself over the tree trunk, Nathan took aim.


“EXTUNDO!”


Flashes of burning light pelted Malfoy violently, beating him back as they slammed into his skin. Malfoy’s pain echoed off the trees as he fired back a bludgeoning curse.


“Protego!” Nathan bellowed, Malfoy’s curse bouncing off the shield.


“RELASHIO!” Nathan retaliated, jets of flame shooting out of his wand. The forest floor burst into flame, the dry leaves and twigs sparking into the air.
Nathan heard Malfoy shriek in fury as the flames licked his robes. Lucius shouted an extinguishing curse as he changed course, heading back toward the clearing.


Nathan swore as he crashed after Malfoy, throwing himself behind a fallen tree trunk as Malfoy hexed a boulder to fly toward him. Nathan’s teeth rattled as his upper body was thrown forward with the impact of rock and wood. Scrambling around the other side of the fallen tree, Nathan saw Malfoy dodge between tree trunks, heading back to the clearing. He realized Malfoy was probably going back to see if Harry and Ginny had left anything behind. Pushing off the damp ground, Nathan ran through the woods to catch up.


Nathan burst into the clearing and Malfoy looked up, snarling at him and raising his wand. Nathan back peddled into the forest, throwing himself into the underbrush as he heard Malfoy shriek.


“AVADA KEDAVRA!”


The dirt flew, stinging his eyes and filling his lungs as the curse flew over his head. Nathan sputtered and coughed before hearing a “POP!” Gasping for breath, he pushed himself off the dead leaves. The clearing was empty. Malfoy was gone. Nathan threw his head back and opened his mouth, his roar of rage filling the clearing.


+++++


After extinguishing the fire he started, Nathan limped up the hill to his mother’s home. He now stood at the backdoor to his mother’s cottage, his hand resting on the worn green painted wood frame, unable to open it. He wasn’t sure he could face what he had done. Taking a deep breath, he turned away from his cottage and took a step away. A perturbed ‘Meow’ caused him to stop and look back over his shoulder.


“Damn,” he muttered.


He couldn’t leave this without setting it right. Raising his wand briefly in the air, he turned, stepping back up to the door and grabbing the handle. Gently closing the door behind him, he stood on the doormat, looking up the worn back stairs to his mother’s room. Numbly, he placed his hand on the railing and pulled himself, step by step, up the staircase.


He tried to look around the room but the tears streaming down his face blurred his vision. Falling to his knees, he dropped his head into his hands and allowed the grief and guilt to intertwine and flow out of him. Gradually, numbness dulled the painful edges around his heart, and he pushed himself off the floor. Taking a deep breath, he wiped his damp cheeks with his handkerchief and straightened his shoulders.


Taking a quick look around the room, Nathan descended the stairs. Turning the corner, he entered the room Ginny had slept in. Chehalis, his mother’s cat, sat on the end of the bed, looking expectantly at him. Ignoring the feline and mentally apologizing to Ginny for the invasion of privacy, he cast a charm to pack her belonging in the bag at the end of the bed. Picking it up, he ventured through the kitchen followed by Chehalis, avoiding his mother’s still form, to the sitting room where he packed Harry’s things as well.


Picking up Harry’s bag in his free hand, he slowly turned toward the kitchen. He wasn’t surprised to see Albus Dumbledore standing there, his eyes focused on his mother.


“She was a very special witch, Nathan,” Dumbledore said softly.


“I know,” Nathan agreed, coming to stand next to the Headmaster. Chehalis rubbed against Nathan’s leg.


“You knew this was a possibility.”


“Yes, I did.”


“Do not blame yourself, Nathan. Your mother was a courageous woman. She felt a need to wipe away a debt she believed she owed. This was her decision. This was her way.”


“I know that, sir. It doesn’t make it hurt any less.”


“I know,” Dumbledore said, turning to gaze at his Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. “Are you ready?”


Nathan surveyed his mother’s home: the scrubbed counter tops, the worn kitchen table, the stacks of books filling every corner, and lastly his mother. Slowly, he bent over, placing the bags in his hands on the floor. Kneeling, he rested his hand on his mother’s shoulder. He felt his throat close with tears as he leaned down to place a kiss on her soft cheek.


Good-bye, Mother. I love you.


Slowly, he leaned back on his heals, his eyes never leaving his mother’s face. At last, he thought, she has found peace.


Standing up, he picked up the cat and nodded.


Dumbledore held his wand above Catarina. “Rest well, dear friend,” he said softly before swirling his wand in a circular motion. A swell of sparkling particles enveloped the form of Catarina Borgin, cushioning her, lifting her. Involuntarily, Nathan took a step backward as his mother’s form lifted from the floor. One moment she was there, the next she was gone.


Nathan blinked at the empty space and drew a ragged breath. He felt a steadying hand on his shoulder.


“It is time.”


Nathan nodded. Putting the cat down and picking up the bags at his feet, Nathan took a tentative step forward, then another and another. He was on the porch, then on solid ground in the garden, Chehalis right beside him.


“You first, Nathan,” Dumbledore said quietly. “I’ll bring Chehalis. To the Burrow.”


Nathan shifted Ginny’s bag to under his right arm and lifted his wand. The instant he apparated, he could have sworn he saw his mother’s home disappear in a flash of flame.


+++++



Harry sucked in his breath and he hit hard, cold ground, Ginny’s weight pressing on top of him.


“Harry?” Ginny croaked. “Harry? Are you alright?”


Harry groaned. “I’d be better if you would get off of me.”


“Oh! Sorry,” Ginny apologized as she rolled off him slowly. Gingerly folding her knees beneath her, Ginny knelt beside him and placed her hands on either side of his head and turned his eyes toward hers. “How do you feel?” she hesitantly asked.


“Awful,” Harry answered honestly. “How do you feel?”


“I’ve been better,” Ginny admitted, dropping her hands to the ground to steady herself.


“Why does it hurt so much?” Harry asked. He was surprised at how exhausting it was to simply talk.


Ginny swallowed. “It was the Cruciatus Curse. It went through me to you. Instead of being able to stop it, I think I magnified it,” Ginny’s eyes burned bright with tears of anger and guilt.


“Ginny, it’s not your fault.” Harry attempted to push himself up on his elbows but pain shot through his back causing him to drop back down to the ground.


Ginny’s bottom lip trembled slightly as she caught her breath. “I know,” she said unconvincingly. “It was working. I could feel it. We were so close,” she said, rubbing her palms up and down on the knees of her jeans. “The ties were forming – did you see them? They were amazing! The ties hadn’t bonded yet. When they do, you would feel the pull. You don’t feel the pull, do you?” she finished quietly, looking down at her hands.


Harry reached out and covered her hand with his own. “No, but I saw the ties. You were right, they were amazing. But right now everything feels like it burns from the inside out.”


“Can you sit up?”


“Maybe with help,” Harry said.


Leaning down, Ginny put her arm under Harry’s shoulder. Harry winced as he pushed off the ground and Ginny pulled him into a sitting position. They stared at each other, breathing heavily from exertion.


“Ginny, this is temporary, right?” Harry asked, breathing heavily.


“Honestly, Harry,” Ginny answered, looking around at their surrounding for the first time, “I don’t know. Catarina told me I wouldn’t be able to help you until we were properly bonded. She warned me if anything went wrong, she said we needed to seek out Professor Borgin or Dumbledore or – or a Healer.” Ginny took a deep breath. “And I don’t see any of them in the near vicinity.”


“Where do you suppose this vicinity is?” Harry asked as he closed his eyes against the dull ache in his muscles. “What were you thinking when we apparated?”


“Oh,” Ginny blew out the breath she’d been holding. “To be honest, all I could
concentrate on was getting you to a Healer.”


“Well, I’m pretty sure this isn’t St. Mungos,” Harry said wearily, his head falling forward, his chin resting on his chest.


“No, it’s not,” Ginny admitted looking up.


Whatever light had been filtering through the branches of the trees surrounding them was quickly being extinguished by the approaching evening. Picking up her wand from the ground, Ginny raised it up and then pulled it down.


“Harry, I don’t know where we are. I’m not of age. Maybe you should…”


“Stupid Ministry rules,” he muttered, “Ginny, what’s the worse that could happen? Someone find us?”


Ginny rolled her eyes. “Good point.” Raising her wand, she uttered, “Lumos!”


The glow from the end of her wand did little to lighten their surroundings. Ginny held her wand up higher. From what she could tell, she had landed them in the middle of pitch black nothingness. A shadow scurried into her wand light. Surprised, Ginny lost her balance and fell back onto Harry, who sucked in his breath.


“Sorry,” Ginny apologized, straightening up.


Ginny held her wand out again. She felt her heart leap as the glow bounced off a pair of beady eyes. She blinked and they were gone. Her heart racing, she pulled her wand back to her chest.


“Harry?” she said tentatively.


“Yeah?” Harry grunted, trying to shift into a sitting position.


“I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?”


“Good.”


“My apparation is getting better. We landed pretty close to where I had planned.”


“Alright,” Harry responded, blinking into the darkness. “What’s the bad?”


“I have a feeling I know what Healer I was thinking of when we apparated,” Ginny admitted, gingerly tucking her feet under her at the sound of rustling leaves nearby.


“And?”


“And, you know how Hermione is always telling us how according to Hogwarts: A History, you can’t apparate or disapparate within Hogwarts?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded.


“Well, I think we’re as close to Hogwarts as we can get without actually Apparating onto the grounds proper.” Ginny paused. “I’m pretty sure we landed in the Forbidden Forest.”



++++



A/N – I finished writing this chapter at my in-laws over spring break. My husband found me in the basement of his parents’ home looking so forlorn he had to ask what the matter was. He thought I was nuts when I wailed, “Catarina’s dead!”
She had become one of my favorites.


Thanks to my betas Kissmegrint and wvchemteach.


And thanks to my family, even if you do think I’m a little batty.