Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Secret thoughts of Hermione Granger by Hermiones_Revenge

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
**Pre-detention, time unknown because my watch has died

*GOOD THINGS RIGHT NOW*

1.) I did well on my Herbology test today.

2.) My homework is finished so I actually have some free time (when does THAT happen?).

3.) Ron does not like Parvati.

4.) I have no major tests to study for right now (a rare and precious thing!)

5.) I am eating chocolate right now, and it is incredibly good.

6.) Neither Ron nor Harry has asked me to help them with their homework, giving me even more free time! Yay!

*BAD THINGS*

1.) My ankle is still swollen from my encounter with that poisonous snapping zhibkhit.

2.) No one, not even Dumbledore, knows how a poisonous snapping zhibkhit got into Hogwarts. This cannot be a good thing.

3.) I lost my homework planner. My life is a disorganized mess. WHERE COULD IT POSSIBLY BE?

4.) I have detention tonight. With Snape.

Hmm … for once the good things seem to outnumber the bad things. Foreshadowing, I hope?

Now that I think of it, detention with Snape probably won’t be that bad. He’ll probably just make us sit quietly and stay out of his way, meaning that Parvati won’t have time to say anything to me. Now that I’ve written that thought down, I have no doubt it will be proven wrong, for that is the way that my life works.

**Still Pre-detention, but a little later

I just got a note telling me to bring a coat to my detention, as we will be going outside. So much for sitting quietly (*sigh*). I hope we don’t have to walk much, because my ankle is NOT happy right now … because my ankle has feelings and every thing, you know. Poisonous snapping zhibkhit … this could only happen to me.

I should get going now. Wish me luck (because inanimate objects such as journals can do that, you know … )

**Post detention

Wow.

I’ll start from the beginning.

My detention group included the most random collection of people: Parvati, Dennis Creevy, Goyle, Zacharias Smith, Ron, and (obviously) me. I couldn’t imagine why we would be going outside -- it seemed like a rather un-Snape-ish thing for detention. However, when Snape entered the room accompanied by Filch, I had a feeling I knew what we’d be doing.

“For your detention,” Snape began, “Mr. Filch here has requested that you aid him in his search for his pet. You will be going into the Forbidden Forest to look for her.”

Ron and I quickly exchanged looks. It didn’t seem as though Filch suspected us, but we didn’t say anything in front of them, just in case. He did whisper to me as Snape led us out of the room.

“What if we find her?” he asked.

I stared at him blankly.

“She’s a duck, remember! We know that, but they don’t! If we catch her, they’ll know we had something to do with this because there’d be no other way we would know she’d been turned into a duck!”

I paused and tried to make sense of this. “You’re right,” I eventually replied (this is not something I normally say to Ron -- since when does he make sense?).

“If we find her, we have to change her back without anyone else noticing!” he went on.

I nodded. (Since when did Ron think up good, logical ideas? I thought that was my job!)

Once we reached the edge of the forest, Filch gave us the most vague instructions I’ve ever received: “Just … go in there.” Normally when a teacher or someone brings us into the Forbidden Forest, they give strict instructions because of the dangerous nature of it. Neither Filch nor Snape seemed to care for our welfare.

This suited me fine, because it gave Ron and me some time to search alone.

Meaning I was alone with Ron.

But we had to look for Mrs. Norris.

“What if we don’t find her?” I worried to him.

He thought for a moment. “Actually, that wouldn’t be that bad.”

Though this was true, I had to bring up another point. “If we don’t find her, Filch might figure out that it’s your fault she’s missing!”

“Eh, oh well.”

I was about to say something else, until I felt someone shove me to the side. Snapping my head around, I discovered that the person who pushed me was none other than … PETER PETTIGREW!

Kidding. It was Parvati.

“Have you found her yet?” she asked in an annoyingly girlish voice (why won’t she GIVE UP ALREADY!)

“If we’d found her,” I replied coolly, “do you think we’d still be looking?”

She shot me a look. I did not comment however, for I had spotted a duck waddling in the distance.

What do you think I did?

(A) Ran after her, screaming like a madwoman

(B) Sat back and watched as Ron ran after her, screaming like a madwoman, er, madman

(C) Ran with Ron as we both chased after her, screaming like mad ... people

(D) Thought to myself, “What’s a duck doing in the Forbidden Forest?”

Think for a moment
*
*
*
*
*
Ok, there are two correct answers. At first I (D) thought to myself, “What’s a duck doing in the Forbidden Forest?” until I came to my senses and (C) ran with Ron as we both chased after her, leaving Parvati behind, screaming like mad … people. My ankle was killing me, but I didn’t care. Again I have no idea why we were screaming, though it did seem like a good idea at the time.

Amazingly enough, we caught her … well, Ron did. He did this spectacular sort of dive thing and landed on top of her, pinning her to the ground.

“Change her back!” he called to me.

I quickly blurted the correct spell (I have no idea how I knew what the correct spell was) and the struggling duck instantly changed into a struggling cat. I was about to tell Ron to let her go, until a thought crossed my mind.

“Ron, we can’t bring her back to Filch!”

“What’dya mean we can’t?” he demanded.

“Filch and Mrs. Norris have that whole … secret language thing! They can communicate with each other! THE MAN SPEAKS CAT!”

He stared at me blankly.

“Mrs. Norris’ll tell Filch that YOU turned her into a duck!”

He seemed to understand. “We’ve got to modify her memory.” Again, I was shocked by Ron’s good idea.

I was about to cast the spell, when I heard footsteps behind me. Spinning around I saw Snape, Filch, and the rest of the detention gang racing toward us.

I intended to shout: “Obliviate!”

I accidentally shouted: “Ob-bliviate!”

Ron released the cat.

At first all seemed well. Mrs. Norris raced over to Filch and he began to kiss her passionately (yeeeeeesh! *Shudder, shudder*). Their “moment” did not last long, however. After he was done cuddling her, Filch asked her what had happened.

She meowed. He nodded in agreement.

“So he turned you into a duck, is that right love?”

I felt my stomach lurch. Mrs. Norris meowed again.

“Ah, I see.”

Ron looked sick. I thought he was done for, until Filch began to talk.

“Well,” he began. “My pretty here has just told me a rather interesting story. According to her, Mr. Goyle here turned her into a duck and chased her into this horrible forest! And THEN, he changed her back and tried to modify her memory, but she got away!” He turned to Goyle. “Oh, someone’s in trouble now, aren’t they?”

I wanted to sing, but decided that if I did it would look incredibly suspicious.

Later, things got even better. As Ron and I returned to the common room, he randomly broke out into a bizarre little jig. I immediately begged him to stop and asked him what in the name of Merlin he was doing.

“I got away with this! We changed her back! We’re not in trouble!” he sang. “This is amazing! I love you!”

And then he kissed me.

Seriously.

I will admit, I was INCREDIBLY confused, but did not complain.

YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT The end!

A/N: I originally ended it here and then thought to myself, "Wow...that was a dumb idea" so I posted a sequel which picks up basically where this leaves off: "Oh the Insanity - The Thoughts of Hermione Granger". Please read! I have more fics up, better than this, if you want to read.This was my very first fanfiction by the way *sniff*!