Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just Love by leo_sol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Yay! I’m finally done this chapter. And everything to do with firsties. I can’t wait for my story to really kick in; sorry it took so long. (The Sims2 is really addictive!) But I guarantee you’ll love it.
[And to you, my Mugglenet reviewers, I dedicate this chapter in all it’s raving glory (I’m so modest). Because you really make me feel loved and appreciated. Thank you!]

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters, they belong to J.K. Rowling. I am not making money off this. However, some of them are mine, you'll know which.

VI

A week and a half later, it was Friday night, a.k.a. Halloween. The Great Hall was decked out in its finest, complete with live bats zooming over people’s heads. The students had just finished getting ready for the much-anticipated banquet. Gryffindors were flurrying back and forth, putting the last touches on their outfits.

Sirius and Co. were relaxing on the squashy rouge couches, waiting for their female counterparts, while discussing all the details of the to-be-marvellous after-party. Headmistress Kye had made it perfectly clear that first- and second-year students could only dance until 10 o’clock. Then it was “bedtime.” Naturally, everyone knew better.

“I can’t believe our luck. Ol’ Kye has no idea that she’s given us a blessing in disguise. A whole two hours without prefects and Head Students? It’s going to be bloody fantastic!” shouted Sirius ecstatically.

The others laughed as the girls finally came gracefully down the stairs. Because they were too young to begin dating, the bunch of them decided to go as a group.

Lily was leading the way, in a crisp, innocent-yet-not-so-very-much, white dress. It had thin spaghetti straps. The asymmetrical seamlines (of which there were a few) veered to the left, each with a delicate frill hanging down. In short, she looked quite grown up.

Allene came in wearing a shimmering black dress. Narrow for the most part, it gave a slight outward curve around the bottom. It was the ultimate in feminine grace, accenting her dark hair even more.

Serena, who was quite proud of her work, glided down the stairs. All eyes on her, she smiled modestly. She had a short dress (invisible straps) with a crooked hemline that accentuated her long legs. All black, it was outlined in a thick ribbon of white satin around the top. At a mere just-turned-twelve, Serena Walker was declared then and there the “Gryffindor beauty” forevermore.

And for someone entering behind Serena, Daniella did a great job. She sparkled in a blindingly white top and skirt duo, the latter of which was made of taffeta and exploded out like a firework around her knees. The top had a wide, off-the-shoulder straps and it reached to just before her navel. Although not necessarily pretty, this outfit embodied everything that Daniella was “ original, daring, and cute. Serena had accomplished her job splendidly.

At the foot of the stairs, their friends, each admiring the changes in the others and congratulating Serena on her creations, greeted them.

“Why James, you’re just the perfect example to show what a proper suit can do. You look half-decent!” Lily condescended.

“Lil, please, for one night be civil,” Serena said. “Shall we go?”

And they did.


When they entered the Great Hall they were awed by the transformation. Glittering fairy lights drifted through the air, weaving in and out of the bats. It was obvious that, to witches and wizards at least, Halloween was so much more than a night of candy and the supernatural. It was almost like Christmas! The one night of the year where they could shine with all their glory and delight in themselves. They had no reason to hide or be ashamed, and they could even walk freely the streets of Muggle cities! No one would know! Yes, for any wizard at any age, Halloween was a close as they could get to being completely free.

Allene looked around. Every type of mythical, breathtaking sight she could imagine surrounded her. But the only thing she could concentrate on was herself. Not in a bad, egocentric way. As she glanced at her friends, from face to face; she realized how absolutely lucky she was. She knew Hogwarts would be the most unbelievably great home - Lotti had told her that. Yet what she didn’t expect were the friends she’d made. Each and every one of them had flaws, that much was obvious, but these only made them more real, more natural. She connected with each of them in an intangible, subconsciously close way (ok, maybe not quite James or Peter). She couldn’t explain it. It was as if someone had once examined her mind and soul and created the very friends she needed. And although she didn’t know it yet, she would be with these friends forever. Not necessarily physically (nor spiritually) but there would always be that part of her heart that would belong equally to memories of Lily’s outbursts, Sirius’ contagious laugh, Serena’s beautiful-super-smile, Daniella’s steady kindness, and Remus’ quiet presence and support. She knew that one day, if Lily ever let her get near enough to speak, she’d be as good friends with James too. Even Peter. At the moment of this revelation, Allene wouldn’t have traded places with anyone in the world. All dressed up; set to dance; ready to embrace the night; and loved all at once - she had the perfect life.

Suddenly, a loud noise awoke Allene from her reveries. Peter had just tripped over a chair, to the amusement of the Slytherins. Remus helped him up and they all seated themselves around a large, round table. In the centre there was an ornately carved jack-o-lantern. It seemed that each table had either an eagle, a badger, a serpent or a griffin designed for each house. They were all beautiful.

As the girls admired the pumpkins, Sirius and the boys sat evenly around the table. After awhile, everyone had ordered their dinner and was eating away contentedly. There was no pressure of homework, no self-consciousness about their dresses, nothing to keep them from having all the fun in the world.

Two boys came to their table, one from Ravenclaw, one from Hufflepuff. The former asked Serena if she’d like to dance (she accepted) and the latter just looked a bit confused. Allene recognized him as Sean, from Defense Against the Dark Arts.

“Why don’t you sit down?” she asked politely. The poor guy looked completely uncomfortable.

“No, thank you,” he replied. “I was just wondering if you could save me a dance later. If that’s all right by you.”

“Sure! Just come and find me.”

With his answer, Sean walked away, slightly more cheerfully than he had come.

“What’s his problem?” Sirius asked Allene, who was watching Sean’s retreating back.

“Huh? Oh, nothing. He just wanted a dance later.”

“Well, are you going to dance with him?”

Somewhat condescendingly, she answered, “Yes, I am. But for now, would you join me, dear Sirius?”

“If I have to.” And off they went.


Already on the dance floor, with Remus, Lily danced her heart out. Over his shoulder, Remus could see James looking oddly at them. Confused, kind of. As if he was a bit envious, but had no idea why he was.

The band was playing a loud, wild sort of song, and because of the unpredictable movements on the floor, Lily and Remus were knocked into somebody. Or rather, somebodies. It was Sirius and Allene, who looked to be having a great time. They apologized and moved away.

Eventually, the song ended, and the band struck up a softer tune. By this time it was nearly ten, and the younger students knew they had a limited amount of time. Remus excused himself casually and went to sit with James. A nervous Peter went up to Lily and asked her to dance.

“Why sure Peter, I’d be positively delighted to!” she said, a bit forcefully, and she arranged herself in his arms.

Further away, Allene was leaning lightly on Sirius’ shoulder. He had an easy smile on his face, very relaxed. They moved perfectly in rhythm together, like strands of water dancing upright. No one wanted to disturb them, so naturally, someone did.

“Excuse me Sirius,” Sean said. “Allene promised me a dance and as I figured that since it’s nearly time to go, I could have it now.”

“Of course Sean, I forgot. But I’ll take that dance now,” Allene replied, oblivious to the look on Sirius’ face. As she released herself, Sirius stalked off to sit with James and Remus.

“I’m sorry about that,” she said, “I don’t know what’s up with him.”

“It’s alright,” said Sean, as he gently moved Allene to a more comfortable position.


At the other end of the Hall, the professors looked on with feigned interest. Professor Dumbledore turned to McGonagall with a bright twinkle in his eye.

“Looks like it’ll be an interesting seven years, no?”