Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Always, Ginny by DeerKillerBeemer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Two:

Her First Letter from Him


Ginny sat alone in the room she shared with Hermione, staring out the window. She felt so alone, like she wasn’t wanted at all. So far this summer, she hadn’t been included in any of the things that Hermione and Ron did together. Of course, Hermione said that she and Ron were just “talking,” but Ginny knew better than to believe that. Sighing, Ginny sat on her bed and pulled out the copy of Hogwarts, A Historythat Hermione was allowing her to borrow. Ginny had never realized how interesting Hogwarts really was.

Opening the book to her marked page, Ginny tried to concentrate on the words. But it was nearly impossible, because all she could think about was Harry Potter. Harry and the letter she had sent him yesterday. The letter that she had signed “Love Always, Ginny”-- for what reason, she did not know. She herself hadn't realized that she still fancied Harry. For the past year, she had been dating two other guys, and yet she managed to still feel something for him. Ginny felt like such a traitor to Dean at that moment, even though they had broken up the week before. It was odd how she could just ignore the feelings she had for Harry for an entire year, and still date two other boys. Maybe I realized my chances with Harry were and still are, less than zero, she thought to herself.

Closing the massive and old book, Ginny gave up trying to read. It was hopeless; she just couldn’t concentrate on the words. Sighing, Ginny went to her desk and got out her Charms book. Flitwick had given them all homework over the holidays, and she still had to start it. As Ginny opened the book to the assigned page on illumination charms, she noticed an enchanting snowy white owl pecking at the glass of her window. It was Hedwig, which meant a letter from Harry!

Quickly, Ginny got up and hurried towards the window. Flinging it wide open, she let the owl in. Hedwig promptly flew to Ginny’s desk and stood, leg extended. Ginny carefully untied the letter with shaky fingers, hoping the letter was for her. Sure enough, the envelope said in Harry’s slightly untidy scrawl, Ginny Weasley.

Breathlessly, Ginny carefully unfolded the letter and began to read.


* * * * *

Dear Ginny,

Thanks for the letter. I wasn’t expecting you to write, but I’m glad you did, I thought for sure it would be Ron. I guess he’s been a bit “busy” with Hermione. All I can say is that it took him long enough!

To answer your question, I’m still upset about Sirius. But don’t worry, I won’t do anything drastic! I’m still wondering what I could have done differently. You know, I’d never tell Ron this, but I feel helpless. I can’t help what’s happening, I can’t change it, and I want to so badly. Ginny, I really hope we can talk when I get to headquarters. I get the feeling that Ron and Hermione won’t be there for me as much. But I’m not mad at all. I’m glad they’re finally together. We all know that they fancy each other.

Hoping that you are well, and I’ll see you tomorrow when I get there.

Love,
Harry


* * * * *

Ginny sat in awe. Harry had written “love” to her! Her hands were shaking as she refolded the letter as neatly as she could. Trying to clear her head, Ginny tried to think of any possible reason why Harry would write “love.” In that usual respect, Harry was quite like Ron--he didn’t understand girls and their feelings in the least, and Ginny knew it. After all, she had had a crush on him for three years before he even noticed her. And even then, he didn’t quite comprehend just what those feelings meant. So, there was no simple explanation for his letter. Except maybe he really did like her…

But that thought was totally idiotic! Harry had barely talked to her since that night in the Department of Mysteries. And Ginny certainly hadn’t expected him to write a response to her letter! Still contemplating the issue, Ginny heard footsteps outside her door. That meant that Hermione was back! Quickly, Ginny stuffed the letter back into its envelope, but Hermione walked in before she could hide it. At first, Hermione didn’t notice that Hedwig was perched on Ginny’s desk; she was busy trying to fix her mussed up hair. Looking around dreamily, she finally noticed Hedwig after a few moments.

“Oh, did Harry write another letter to me Ginny?” she asked, looking around the room for a brush. Ginny tossed her the one that was on her nightstand.

“No,” Ginny answered quietly. Hermione set about fixing her hair, trying to untangle it and force the bushy hair through the brush. Sighing in frustration, she gave up and set her brush down on her bed.

“Then who did Harry write to?” asked Hermione impatiently. She moved her books off of her bed and put them neatly on her desk, then patted Hedwig affectionately on the head, and the snowy owl hooted softly.

“Harry wrote to me.” replied Ginny quietly, blushing red to the roots of her hair. She tried to calm herself down before Hermione saw how red she got, but it was too late. Hermione whipped around and looked utterly speechless.

“Why did Harry write to you? He doesn’t usually, does he?” demanded Hermione, trying not to smile at the younger girl. She knew that Ginny still loved Harry, despite what the younger girl might say.

“You realize that you sound exactly like Mum, don’t you? What do you care if Harry writes to me? He has to write to someone to let out his feelings, and I know that neither you, nor Ron has been writing to him much. Hermione, what he really needs right now is someone to confide in. Tell me, have you asked him how he feels? Have you?” asked Ginny shrilly. Her hair was in her face and she was breathing hard. Was she the only one who cared about Harry?

Stuttering, Hermione said, ”No, I haven’t. But Ginny, I want him to come to me, and Ron feels the same way. We shouldn’t always be the ones to initiate conversations, should we? If Harry wants to talk to us about what happened, he'll write to us. Besides, I think that Harry really needs some time alone right now. Do you know when he’s coming to headquarters?”

“Tonight, Hermione! That’s why I wrote to him--someone had to tell him that the Advance Guard was coming to get him! You and Ron obviously didn’t know and didn’t care enough to bother finding out.” said Ginny coldly. She couldn’t believe that Hermione and Ron didn’t even know when Harry was due to arrive.

Turning bright red, Hermione mumbled,” I have to go talk to Ron about something.” She then hurried out of their room. Ginny went and hid the letter in the back of the bottom drawer of her desk, being careful not to wrinkle it.

The rest of the afternoon flew by, and as the sun began to set, Ginny headed downstairs to help her mother start dinner, as usual. Making sure to be quiet as she past Sirius’ mum’s portrait, Ginny went down to the kitchen. Tonks, Moody, and Lupin were already there, ready to leave to fetch Harry. Tonks smiled and winked at Ginny when she walked inside, and the two of them exchanged a knowing look. Ginny had been talking to Tonks about Harry lately because Hermione’s “talks” with Ron usually went on for long periods of time. She had been the one to suggest that Ginny write to Harry and tell him about his pick up.

“Okay, that’s it for right now, Molly. We’ll be back by 9 o’clock with Harry. I know he’s just itching to get away from those awful Muggles, and I don’t blame him a bit. They're awful people, just awful. I bet Harry’s glad that this is the last summer he has to go to their house for any time at all. Come to think of it, I’m sure they’re glad too.” growled Moody, his magical eye spinning around in its socket. Molly Weasley nodded, and Ginny watched as the trio started out.

Before Moody opened the door, he hit the top of everyone's head. Each of the three took on the appearance of the wall and door behind them.

"See you in a bit, Molly." said Tonks as Moody opened the door and the three of them grasped their brooms and kicked off of the ground outside. Ginny closed the door quickly and headed back to the kitchen. Her mother was standing with her back to Ginny, pulling out ingredients for biscuits. She turned to see Ginny standing at the stove, looking in the large pot at what looked like beef stew. Molly shooed her away, opened a few of the cupboards and handed Ginny a stack of dishes and cutlery.

“Please be a dear and set the table while I finish dinner. And when you’re done,will you please tell your brothers and Hermione that it’s time to eat?” Molly said, using her wand to magically stir the stew as she mixed batter for biscuits. Ginny nodded and began setting the table diligently. Butterflies began to flutter about in her stomach as she finished her chores, dinner was eaten, and the dishes done. Finally, it was the time at which Harry was due to arrive.

Just as the clock struck nine, Tonks, Lupin, Moody, and finally Harry all arrived. As they each came in, no longer camouflaged, Ginny took their cloaks and hung them in the front closet while all but Harry placed their brooms in the old umbrella stand that was Tonks' number one enemy. Harry grinned at Ginny shyly, and behind him, Tonks winked.

“Hullo, Ginny.” said Harry nervously. Ginny smiled and Tonks immediately stepped in.

“Why don’t you help Harry take his things up to his room, Ginny?” she said, eyes sparkling.

“Sure. Harry, grab that end.” agreed Ginny, knowing exactly what Tonks was up to. Harry immediately grabbed the opposite end and followed Ginny up the stairs. For once, he was the one who seemed to be too nervous to speak. When they reached the top of the stairs, Ginny dropped the trunk and spun around on her heel, wand out.

“Harry, I will tell you this once. If you wrote love on that letter as a joke, I will find out. And then I will curse you to high heaven. Remember, I learned all I know from the master.” she said threateningly. Harry’s eyes bulged, and he looked thoroughly scared. Holding up his hands, he mumbled something under his breath, not looking her in the face.

“What was that, Potter?” demanded Ginny, her wand still pointed at him threateningly. She needed to know that truth and this seemed like the only way to learn it.

“I said, I meant what I wrote.”