Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Always, Ginny by DeerKillerBeemer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 4:
The Prophecy...Among Other Things



Shaking, Harry left Ginny alone in his and Ron's room to find Hermione and Ron. They were talking in the girls' room, and he hated to interrupt them, but he knew he had to.

"Um, you guys? I need to talk to you two and Ginny right now. It's really important." he said cautiously. His two best friends looked slightly surprised, and both of them hurriedly followed him back to the boys' room, curious as to what was on Harry's mind. The two of them sat down, with Harry standing before them, and Ginny, Ron, and Hermione all looked at Harry. Harry took a deep breath before starting to speak.

"You guys remember that prophecy that I took in the Department of Mysteries?" Harry began, and his three friends nodded solemnly. Harry continued, saying, "Well, it shattered before Voldemort got it, so he doesn't know what it said. But I do, because Dumbledore showed me after the battle."

"What do you mean, he showed you?" asked Ron, looking at Harry confused.

"Last year, I looked into his Pensieve--where he can store memories--and he showed me when it was made. Professor Trelawney made it on her interview for the Divination job. An informer for Voldemort only heard part of it, and that's why he wanted that orb. It held the prophecy, and it can only be heard after the orb is broken, but the prophecy, once heard, cannot be retrieved."

"So what did it say?" asked Ginny nervously, fidgeting with a loose string on Harry's bedspread. She looked utterly terrified, and Harry hated having to tell her what he was about to. Shaking slightly, he continued.

"Well, it said that the person with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord would be born as the seventh month dies. His parents will have thrice defied the Dark Lord. He will be marked as an equal by the Dark Lord and have powers that he does not. One cannot survive will the other lives."

There was a collective gasp from Hermione and Ginny, and Ron looked slightly confused.

"You guys, it's me. I have to kill Voldemort or be killed myself. Dumbledore told me the strangest thing though. The prophecy applies to another person, Neville Longbottom. Voldemort knew this, but he chose not the pureblood child, but the half-blood, like himself. You guys, I'm so scared. I don't know what I'm going to do." Harry finished, watching as Hermione and Ron hugged, Hermione's eyes full of tears.

Looking at Ginny, Harry saw that she was openly crying. He held her close, her tears wetting the sleeve of his shirt. But he didn't care; he needed to be there for her, as she had been there for him in past few days. Ron sat in stony silence, his lips taut, fists clenched. Harry felt tears wet his face, and realized that he was also crying. They sat there like that, all four of them, for what seemed to be eternity. His heart ached, but Harry knew that what he did was the right thing. He would have to tell them some time, and he hated having to keep all of it in, suffering in silence, while none of his friends knew that he was going through so much more than just grief over Sirius' death.

Finally, after what seemed like almost half an hour of straight crying, Ginny was the first one to break the deep silence.

"Harry, we're here for you. I-I-I had this feeling that you had to be going through more than what you were telling us. Harry, you will triumph, not because of power, but because you have something that You-Know-Who will never have--you have us, your friends, who love you more than anything else." said Ginny quietly, tears no longer on her cheeks. Her brother and Hermione both nodded in agreement. Harry felt the burden on his heart lift for the first time in weeks.

Smiling weakly at the three of them, Harry didn't bother speaking. He gave Ginny another hug and kiss, and then hugged both Hermione and Ron. They left the room without saying a word, for they both knew that Harry and Ginny wanted some more time alone together. Ginny watched as the couple left, and tried to process what had just happened. Harry could die. Just thinking it made her want to cry hysterically.

"Ginny, I love you. I won't ever give up. Dying would mean losing you, and I can't leave you behind. I refuse to take this lying down. I mean, I know that I have to kill Voldemort. God knows that Neville can't." Harry said gently. They both laughed lightly, thinking of Neville trying to kill Voldemort. Even though the clumsy boy had improved immensely over the past year at DADA, he still wasn't one of the best wizards at Hogwarts. Still, Neville tried.

Wiping away the trail the tears had left behind on Ginny's cheeks, Harry vowed to himself that he would never again make her cry. Ginny looked into his eyes, and he realized for the first time that they were a rich chocolaty brown color.

"Harry, I won't let you give up that easily.We can get through this, I know it." she told him, wiping away his own tears. He smiled, and he realized that he hadn't even said hello to her parents or the other members of the Order.

"Why don't we go downstairs and I can say hello to everyone else. They're probably all wondering what happened to us," suggested Harry, grasping her hand. She nodded and they set off for the kitchen, hand in hand.

Standing in the doorway to the kitchen, Harry saw the older Weasley brothers and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley all sitting at the table. When they saw Harry, they engulfed him in hugs and handshakes.

"Harry, dear, leave your things out for me tomorrow and I'll wash them." said Mrs. Weasley first. Fred and George were the only ones who seemed to have noticed that Ginny and Harry were holding hands.

"Awww! Isn't that cute!" exclaimed George in a falsetto voice that sounded distinctly like Umbridge. Harry automatically made a face at the impression.

"The little lovebirds are finally together!" shouted Fred, causing his mother to look his way.

"What was that, Fred dear?" she asked, curiously.

"Why don't you ask Harry?" Fred shot back, while George made slurping sounds behind him. Mrs. Weasley promptly turned and looked at Harry and finally realized what was going on.

"Ohhh! How sweet! Look at Ginny and Harry, Arthur!" exclaimed Mrs. Weasley with delight. Harry and Ginny both turned crimson as the older Weasleys looked at them.

"Mum, please don't make a big deal out of this! You'll scare Harry away!" shouted Ginny as everyone started to ohh and ahh over them.

Her yelling had almost no effect whatsoever, except that it brought the other members of the Order in, including McGonnagal and Dumbledore, which made Harry wonder whether there was a meeting tonight. Everyone looked like they had been expecting something like this to happen, which made Harry wonder whether Tonks had said something to anyone else. As everyone started talking at once, Harry heard a very loud whistle. Fred and George were standing on the table, trying to get everyone's attention.

"OY! EVERYONE! Over here!" yelled Fred. Immediately, the room became silent as all looked towards Fred and George.

"Thank you for your attention. Now, why don't we all listen to what Harry and Ginny have to say for themselves. Harry, Ginny, the table's all yours." said George, smiling broadly. Harry felt his face grow hot and walked over to the table. He carefully stood the table, and Ginny stayed where she was. Clearing his throat, Harry began to speak.

"Thank you for the introduction, Fred and George. I want everyone to know that Ginny and I have agreed to go out, but we're taking things really slow." started Harry amid cheers from the Weasley brothers. Everyone else grinned widely, as though expecting something of this nature. "Also, I know that some of you know that the weapon is gone. I know what it was and what it said, which most of you don't." Harry met Dumbledore's gaze, and the old man nodded, knowing what Harry was going to do.

"Most of you know that the weapon that Volde- well, You-Know-Who wanted was a prophecy made 15 years ago. It said that the person who has the power to vanquish the Dark Lord would be born as the seventh month dies. His parents will have thrice defied the Dark Lord. He will be marked as the Dark Lord's equal and have powers he does not. One cannot survive as the other lives. That person is me, and I have to kill Voldemort." As Harry said the words, the members of the Order began to cry, all except Ginny, Ron and Hermione. Ginny knew that Harry could and would do what he had to do for the both of them. Harry got down and pulled Ginny close.

"Ginny, we'll get through this. We've been through other things as friends and we always made it through. I can do this. I have to do this." Harry reassured her. She nodded slowly, and the crying began to stop. Dumbledore gave him a look that clearly said, You've done the right thing. And Harry knew that he'd had to do it, because they all had to find out eventually.

Very tearfully, Mrs. Weasley said to them all, "Well, I think that it's time for the meeting. Ginny, I want you to go to bed immediately. Harry, you may stay, because I know that I have no authority over you whatsoever, and this concerns you more than anyone else in the Order."

Harry walked Ginny to the stairs, where he whispered in her ear, "Don't worry, I'll tell you every word of it, I promise." She nodded and then headed up the stairs, smiling as sweetly as an angel. Harry watched her retreating back and thought about how happy he had finally felt today. Sighing, he turned and headed back to the kitchen, intending to keep his promise.

* * * * *

Everyone sat around the large kitchen table, barely able to fit. Harry sat between Dumbledore and Charlie. Dumbledore gave him a smile and said, "Wise choice Harry. I knew that you would realize how important the prophecy was to everyone, not just yourself. Harry, that was a very crucial thing to share."

Harry grinned appreciatively and looked around the table. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Tonks, McGonnagal, Flitwick, Lupin, Moody, Sturgis Podmore, Mundungus Fletcher, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill, Mr. Weasley, Mrs. Weasley, Dumbledore and Harry were all crammed around the kitchen table. Everyone seemed quiet and taken aback, and they seemed to still be taking in everything that Harry had said mere minutes before. Mundungus seemed to be the only one unconcerned, but Harry thought that he looked a little drunk, as he kept calling the Fred Ron.

"Ron, didn' cha hear 'er mum? She said fer ya to get to bed. You aren' s'possed to be 'ere." he said, while Fred and George laughed hysterically. Finally, Mundungus fell fast asleep, snoring with his near-empty tankard of beer still clutched in his hand. Mrs. Weasley looked at him disdainfully, and finally, Dumbledore called the meeting to order.

"Alright everyone, it's time to settle down. First, I would like to congratulate Harry on his wise choice to let you all know what the prophecy said. I know it is shocking for all of you to know. However, there is one good thing to this--Voldemort no longer has any way to know what the prophecy said. And I know all of you can be trusted not to tell him! So, onto business. Bill, how is the recruitment of foreign wizards coming?"

"It's turning out to be a bit easier now that everyone knows that You-Know-Who is really back. So far, we have several witches and wizards from France, Germany, Spain, and Bulgaria. They are following the orders you gave me to pass on. The hardest part is going to be finding his whereabouts. Now that he has shown himself, he can't hide nearly as well. Still, he should be easy to spot in a crowd, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I want to try and find out where his father's family is from. I have the feeling that he could be using that place as a hideout. Do you know, Dumbledore?"

"I don't. Whenever he left school to go back to the orphanage where he was raised, he mentioned something about northern Great Britain. Sadly, I do not remember the exact location." answered Dumbledore. Suddenly, a thought struck Harry like lightening.

"I do." Harry said to Bill quietly. Everyone turned and looked at him with great interest, and Bill turned to him, surprised.

"Well, tell us!" said Bill in astonishment.

"Well, I had a dream before fourth year. It was a dream about the time after Tom Riddle had killed his father and grandparents. Anyway, the town is called Great Hangleton. I think he's been using the old Riddle house as a hideout. The graveyard in the town was his rebirth place a year ago. He had to have his father's bone." Harry explained to everyone. Dumbledore simply looked intrigued, while the others looked slightly surprised at what Harry had told them.

"Well, that's interesting. You have been having the visions for over two years. I'm surprised you didn't tell us sooner, Harry. But no matter. It's over and done with now. Let's move on, shall we?" asked Lupin from across the table.

He looked shabbier than usual, and sort of ill. Then Harry remembered that the full moon had been few days ago.

"Yes, Remus, let's move on." agreed Bill. "Anyone have any other news or anything important? Ahh, yes Proffesor McGonnagal?"

"Well, I would just like to remind everyone that now would be the best time to try to negotiate with the goblins. Last week You-Know-Who murdered two whole families. They would probably be agreeable now. Albus, you may need to speak with the Minister about what we're going to do to get them to agree to our terms. I'm sure they will want rights that have been denied to them for centuries. And we won't kill them like he would."said Professor McGonnagal. There were murmurs of agreement throughout the room. Harry himself thought that what they proposed sounded reasonable.

As the meeting came to a close and everyone began to leave, Dumbledore took Harry aside and said, "Harry, your OWL results are going out tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know to expect them. Good night and remember to clear your mind before going to sleep."

Yawning, Harry headed upstairs to tell Ginny all that he had learned.

* * * * *

Harry woke late the next morning. Opening his eyes, he saw a blurry Ginny holding a breakfast tray. Ron's bed was empty. Grabbing his glasses and putting them on, Harry yawned and said, "Good Morning."

"Morning, sleepy head. Mum wanted me to bring this tray up to you, since you slept through breakfast." Ginny explained. Harry gave her a wide grin and uncovered the tray to find bacon, eggs, toast, and orange juice, all still hot. Grabbing his fork, he thanked Ginny for bringing up the tray.

"Harry, don't worry about it. It's no big deal. Besides, I wanted to ask you a question." she said gently.

"Well, fire away," mumbled Harry through a mouthful of food. Ginny gave him a look of concern, then began.

"Harry, I want you to answer me truthfully, okay? What are you feeling about Sirius right now?"

"I feel guilty. I keep thinking that it was my fault, that if I had learned Occlumency, he would still be here, telling me how much I remind him of my dad. I feel like crying, but I can't cry anymore." replied Harry, his green eyes sparkling with unshed tears.Ginny nodded and grasped his hand, looking at him.

"Harry, please remember what I am about to say. It is not your fault. You made a mistake, yes, but Sirius didn't have to follow you to the Department of Mysteries after Snape told him what you had said. It was his decision to risk his life. You didn't force him, you didn't tell him to do it, and most of all, you didn't cause it. I want you to always remember that even though it was a mistake, it wasn't just yours, and you don't bear all of the responsibility." Ginny reminded him. Harry turned and looked at her, grateful that she had the nerve to say what others had not.

Reaching over, he hugged her. They sat like that, hugging, for the longest time, when Harry finally worked up the nerve to place a kiss gently on her lips. Surprised, Ginny looked up at him, her face red, and said, "Harry, what was that for?"

"I don't know. It just felt right, that's all. You aren't angry, are you?" he asked, concerned. He knew that she wasn't afraid to curse him as she said she would.

"No, I'm not angry at all." answered Ginny, a smile playing on her lips. She started turned a slight shade of red, and Harry couldn't help but laugh. She smacked his hand lightly, and he stopped abruptly, and this time it was her turn to laugh. Finally, they both stopped laughing, and fell silent.

"Ginny, where are Hermione and Ron at?" asked Harry. He had figured that since the couple weren't in his and Ron's room, they would have to be in the girls' room.

"They're in my room. Hermione figured that it would be rude to kick you out of yours and force you to get up as early as she and Ron were up. Your lucky Hermione was there, because Ron just wanted to dump you out of your bed. He can be such a git sometimes." replied Ginny, giggling.

Picking up his breakfast tray, Harry crossed to the door and opened it. "Ginny, I have to get dressed. Would you mind taking this down to the kitchen for me? I'll be down in a few minutes." said Harry. Ginny nodded and took the tray from him, closing the door as she left. Harry sighed and opened his trunk. He pulled on a pair of jeans, a tee-shirt, and his trainers. Then he pulled out all of his other clothing and put it on his bed, as Mrs. Weasley had instructed the night before.

Harry headed downstairs quietly, so as not to wake the portrait of Sirius' mother. They hadn't been able to get her portrait down, so they simply put a silencing charm on it. But still, Harry knew not to wake it up. They didn't know if the silencing charm lasted very long on portraits, and Harry didn't want to find out personally.

In the kitchen, Harry found Ginny and her mother having a serious conversation. Coughing to indicate his presence, Ginny and Mrs. Weasley stopped talking abruptly.

"Ah, Harry dear. Good morning! How was breakfast?" asked Mrs. Weasley.

"It was wonderful. Thank you for sending up a tray. I've never had breakfast in bed before. With the Dursleys, if you missed breakfast, you didn't eat again until dinner." Harry said, smiling. Mrs. Weasley smiled back affectionately. Harry noticed a few letters on the counter, all four bearing the Hogwarts crest. Molly noticed that Harry had spotted the letters, and her face lit up.

"Harry, dear, the letters came early this morning. I wanted to wait for you to have everyone open them together. Ginny, will you please find your brother and Hermione? Tell them that they are going to open their letters now." she said. Ginny hurried upstairs, and moments later, the threesome came running downstairs to open their letters. Hermione, breathless, was first to grab hers and rip it open with shaking fingers.

"I got 11! Ron, Harry, I got 11!" Hermione squealed with delight. Next, Ron, shaking harder than Hermione, ripped his open.

"Well, Ron, what did you get?" asked Mrs. Weasley anxiously, making Ron shake even harder from nervousness. He tore his envelope and Harry could see him trying to count all of his OWL's. Ron's eyes got bright and he said to Harry, "Harry, I can do the Auror program!"

"Harry, go on, open yours!" Ginny said, thrusting his envelope into his hands. She had set hers down on the table haphazardly. Harry opened his envelope carefully, buying himself some time. Harry unfolded his letter with shaky hands. It read:

Official OWL Results of
Harry Potter

Transfiguration: Exceeds Expectations

Defense Against the Dark Arts: Outstanding

Charms: Exceeds Expectations

Potions: Outstanding
(we all want it to happen!)

Divination: Poor

Astronomy: Acceptable

History of Magic: Dreadful

Care of Magical Creatures: Outstanding
~


Harry felt a surge of happiness. He could join the Auror program! Ginny snatched the letter out of his hands and shouted with glee, and her mother took it from her.

Soon, Harry's letter was being passed around the room, and Harry couldn't bring himself to utter a sound. He knew that Sirius and his parents would both be proud if they were here today.

Soon, the kitchen was filled with the sounds of the Weasleys and Hermione shouting with happiness. Harry still couldn't believe that he was able to start the Auror trainee program in a few years.

Yet, a thought lingered in the back of his mind; how did he and Ron get into Advanced Potions? Neither of them had ever been exceptionally good at Potion-making. Harry discarded the thought quickly. Afterall, if Harry wasn't good enough, he wouldn't have made it into the class.

Suddenly, Ginny's arms enveloped Harry in a hug. "I knew you could do it, Harry. I knew you could." was all she said. Harry gave her a grin as Tonks and Shacklebolt made their way into the noisy kitchen.

"What happened?" asked Tonks curiously. She directed her question at Mrs. Weasley, who was still beaming with pleasure.

"Well--Fred, George, would you two stop yelling?--Tonks, the OWL results came today, and Ron, Harry, and Hermione just opened them. Hermione got 11, Ron got 6, and Harry got 6." answered Mrs. Weasley proudly. Tonks smiled widely.

"Harry, what are you going to do for a career after Hogwarts now that you know what classes you'll be taking?" she asked, turning to Harry.

"Actually, I want to become an Auror. Lupin always told me that I have the ability to do it, and I really want to be a Dark Wizard catcher more than anything else. Partly because I have the natural talent for attracting trouble, as I'm so often told. I figure that if I can attract the trouble, I might be able to help stop it too." came the reply. Tonks beamed with happiness.

"That's great, Harry! Did you get into Snape's Potions class too? I know from experience that that class is really really hard to get into."

"Yeah, I got in. So did Ron and Hermione. Hermione wasn't a surprise, but I didn't think that Ron or myself would get into his class. Neither of us have ever been that good at potions. Anyway, any word on who our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is going to be?" asked Harry expectantly.

"Actually, Harry, that's what I really wanted to talk to you about."

"Really? Well, who is it?"

"Dumbledore just told the rest of us this morning. He's decided to have Mad-Eye come back and teach Defense Against the Dark Arts this year, since he never really had the chance to actually teach. And yes, he will also be there to, erm, keep an eye on the all of you. Dumbledore will also be teaching you Occlumency personnally, so that what happened last year won't happen again. Please don't take it the wrong way, Harry." Tonks said quietly.

"That's great! Everyone will be happy to see Moody again. We all thought he was one of the best teachers. By the way, do you know who the new Minister is? I've been meaning to ask for awhile, but I kept forgetting to find out whenever I wrote to Hermione and Ron." said Harry, as Ginny came towards the two of them. Harry put his arm around her shoulders carefully, so as not to gain the attention of Fred and George.

"Well, since Fudge is permanently gone, naturally the person that everyone wants to do it is Dumbledore. But, since he won't and has declined the offer, Madame Bones has been offered the position. You might remember her from your disciplinary hearing, Harry. I know she's a nice woman, and a good leader, someone that we can depend on. Which is the perfect person to choose right now." Tonks told them.

Harry thought back to his hearing the summer before. He remembered Madame Bones. She was supposed to hear his case, but Fudge had changed it at the last minute. Madame Bones had also been the person to ask if his Patronus was a corporeal Patronus, or if it had a distinct form. Harry smiled at the memory, thinking of the woman who had been so kind at the hearing.

"Yeah, I remember her. She was really a nice woman, and seemed to be very fair. Her niece, Susan Bones, is in Hufflepuff at school. I think she would be the most logical choice right now. What would happen if, say, Umbridge was made Minister? That would be crazy! Then again, she wouldn't because she was the one who sent those Dementors after me last summer. Like people would trust a woman like that!" Harry said. Ginny giggled at Harry's vindiction. He had, by far, hated Umbridge the most, and everyone knew it. Afterall, she had taken away the one thing that Harry was spectacularly good at: Quidditch.

"Harry, Ginny, I have to go. Business for the Order. Molly, I'll see you later for dinner, and I'll bring a dessert tonight. Goodness knows that these three deserve a treat." Tonks said to Mrs. Weasley as she left. Everyone else trickled out in twos and threes. Finally, it was just Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and Mrs. Weasley.

Walking over to the table to set his letter down, Harry noticed a red and gold badge sitting in a half-open envelope. Realization hit Harry, and he felt a burst of pride.

Ginny came over to sit down next to Harry, and realized what he had found. She quickly snatched the letter out of his hands and pulled the badge out, dumbfounded.

"Ginny! What's that in your hand?" asked Mrs. Weasley quickly. "Ginny, you're a prefect!"

"Really? Congratulations, Ginny!" Hermione exclaimed, smiling widely. Ron, who had been eating a piece of toast at the moment could only mumble.

"Cngrt, gnn.Oudgoof."

"What?" everyone asked at once. Ron swallowed suddenly, and repeated, "Congrats, Ginny. You did good. Jeez, you guys can't even hear me? What's wrong with you?"

"Well, mate, I think you should ask yourself the same question," said Harry, as everyone laughed.

"Ginny, I'm so proud of you!" squealed Mrs. Weasley. "That's everyone but Fred and George."

"Gin, I'm proud of you too." Harry whispered in her ear, as Mrs. Weasley turned to the stove to start dinner.

A/N: Sorry it's been so long since my last update--I've had so much homework in my AP classes and english...in english, we're supposed to do some summer reading...well, the only real reading I did this summer was HBP. Let's just say that I've been trying to get through Ethan Frome, A Farewell to Arms, and Walden by this thursday. Yeah, not fun.

NEways, enough about my excruciatingly boring life. I want you all to know that my story will not and has not been altered in any way by the release of HBP. The three fanfics in this series were essentially finished before the summer even started. I am currently working on one based on the information given in the book, and the fanfic is entitled Harry Potter and the Quest for the Horcruxes. I should be posting it soon.

Love you all,
DeerKillerBeemer