Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Always, Ginny by DeerKillerBeemer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Okay, let's all hope that this time is the time! Seriously, sometimes I hate how the mods go through the story... how can a story with major spelling/grammar errors and OOCness that is not explained be approved when mine gets rejected for having a mythological misspelling of Prof. McGonnagal's name?

I just don't get it. If someone could explain the system to me, I would be forever in your debt!

ciao,
me!!! *
Chapter 5:
Reaching From Beyond


Everyone from the Order sat around the large kitchen table, with barely enough room for them all to fit. Harry sat down, squeezed between Dumbledore and Charlie. Dumbledore gave him a smile and said, "Wise choice. I knew that you would realize how important the prophecy was to everyone, not just yourself. Harry, that was a very crucial thing to share."

Harry grinned appreciatively and looked around the table. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Tonks, McGonnagal, Flitwick, Lupin, Moody, Sturgis Podmore, Mundungus Fletcher, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill, Mr. Weasley, Mrs. Weasley, Dumbledore, and Harry were all crammed around the kitchen table. Everyone seemed quiet and taken aback, as if in shock, and they all seemed to still be taking in everything that Harry had said merely minutes before. Mundungus seemed to be the only one unconcerned, but Harry thought that he looked a little drunk, as he kept calling the Fred "Ron."

"Ron, didn' cha hear your mum? She said fer yeh to get to bed. Yeh aren' s'possed to be 'ere." he said, while Fred and George laughed hysterically. Finally, with a thud Mundungus fell fast asleep hitting his head on the table with a bang, snoring loudly with his tankard of beer still in hand. Mrs. Weasley looked at him disdainfully, and finally, Dumbledore called the meeting to order.

"All right everyone, it's time to settle down. First, I would like to congratulate Harry on his wise choice to let you all know what the prophecy said. I know it's shocking for all of you to know. However, there is one good thing to this--Voldemort no longer has any way to know what the prophecy said. And I know all of you can be trusted not to tell him--and I will be the secret keeper for the prophecy. With that being said, let's move onto new business. Bill, how is the recruitment of foreign wizards coming?"

"It's going pretty well. So far, we have several wizards from France, Germany, Spain, and Bulgaria. They are following the orders you gave me to pass on. The hardest part is going to be finding You-Know-Who's whereabouts. Now that he has shown himself, he can't hide nearly as well. Still, he should be easy to spot in a crowd, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I want to try and find out where his father's family is from. I have the feeling that he could be using that place as a hideout. Do you know, Dumbledore?"

"I don't. Whenever he left school to go back to the orphanage where he was raised, he mentioned something about northern Great Britain. Sadly, I do not remember the exact location," answered Dumbledore. Suddenly, a thought struck Harry like lightening.

"I do." Harry said to Bill quietly. Everyone turned and looked at him with great interest.

"Well, tell us!" said Bill in astonishment.

"Okay, but please just listen. I had a dream before fourth year. It was a dream about the time after Tom Riddle had killed his father and grandparents. Anyway, the town is called Greater Hangleton. I think he's been using the old Riddle house as a hideout. The graveyard in the town was his rebirth place a year ago. He had to have his father's bone for the potion to work," Harry explained to everyone. Dumbledore simply looked intrigued, while the others looked slightly surprised at what Harry had told them.

"Well, that's certainly interesting. You have been having the visions for over two years. I'm surprised you didn't tell us sooner, Harry. But no matter. It's over and done with now. Let's move on, shall we?" asked Lupin gently, giving Harry a look from across the table.

His robes looked shabbier than usual, and his face held a wan look that made him look like he was sort of ill. Then Harry remembered that the full moon had been few days ago.

"Yes, Remus, let's move on," agreed Bill. "Anyone have any other news or anything important? Ahh, yes Professor McGonnagal?"

"Well, I would just like to remind everyone that now would be the best time to try to negotiate with the goblins. Last week You-Know-Who murdered two whole families. They would probably be agreeable now. Albus, you may need to speak with the Minister about what we're going to do to get them to agree to our terms. I'm sure they will want rights that have been denied to them for centuries. And we won't kill them like he would," said Professor McGonnagal. There were murmurs of agreement throughout the room. Harry himself thought that what they proposed sounded reasonable.

As the meeting came to a close and everyone began to leave, Dumbledore took Harry aside and said, "Harry, your OWL results are going out tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know to expect them. Good night and remember to clear your mind before going to sleep."

Yawning, Harry headed upstairs to tell Ginny all that he had learned.

* * * * *

Harry woke late the next morning. Opening his eyes, he saw a rather blurry Ginny holding a breakfast tray. Ron's bed was empty. Grabbing his glasses and putting them on, Harry yawned and said, "Good Morning."

"Morning, sleepy head. Mum wanted me to bring this tray up to you, since you slept through breakfast." Ginny explained. Harry gave her a wide grin and uncovered the tray to find bacon, eggs, toast, and orange juice, all still hot. Grabbing his fork, he thanked Ginny for bringing up the tray.

"Harry, don't worry about it. It's no big deal. Besides, I wanted to ask you a question," she said gently.

"Well, fire away," mumbled Harry through a mouthful of food. Ginny gave him a look of concern, then began.

"Harry, I want you to answer me truthfully, okay? What are you feeling about Sirius right now?"

Harry swallowed before answering the question.

"I feel guilty. I keep thinking that it was my fault, that if I had learned Occlumency, if I hadn't let Snape get to me, he would still be here, telling me how much I remind him of my dad. I feel like throwing something across the room, but I can't do that anymore," replied Harry, his green eyes sparkling with unshed tears. Ginny nodded and grasped his hand, looking at him.

"Harry, please remember what I am about to say. It is not your fault. You made a mistake, yes, but Sirius didn't have to follow you to the Department of Mysteries after Snape told him what you had said. It was his decision to risk his life. You didn't force him, you didn't tell him to do it, and most of all, you didn't cause it. I want you to always remember that even though it was a mistake, it wasn't just yours to make, and you can't bear all of the responsibility," Ginny reminded him. Harry turned and looked at her, grateful that she had the nerve to say what others had not.

Reaching over, he hugged her. They sat like that, hugging, for the longest time, when Harry finally worked up the nerve to place a kiss gently on her lips. Surprised, Ginny looked up at him, her face red like Ron's turned when he became embarrassed, and said, "Harry, what was that for?"

"I don't know. It just felt right, that's all. You aren't angry, are you?" he asked, concerned. He knew that she wasn't afraid to curse him as she said she would.

"No, I'm not angry at all," answered Ginny, a smile playing on her lips. She started turned a slight shade of red, looking very much like Ron at the moment, Harry thougt and he couldn't help but laugh out loud.

"Do you realize how much you look like Ron when you laugh?" Harry said in a good-naturedly way. Ginny smacked his hand lightly, and he stopped abruptly, and this time it was her turn to laugh. Finally, they both stopped laughing, and the room fell silent.

"Ginny, where are Hermione and Ron at?" asked Harry, looking around the room suspiciously. He had figured that since the couple weren't in his and Ron's room, they would have to be in the girls' room. What they were doing exactly, was still a mystery to Harry.

"They're in my room. Hermione figured that it would be rude to kick you out of yours and force you to get up as early as she and Ron were up. Your lucky Hermione was there, because Ron just wanted to dump you out of your bed. He can be such a git sometimes," replied Ginny, shaking her head, a merry twinkle captivated in her chocolate brown eyes. Hurriedly picking up his breakfast tray, Harry crossed to the door and opened it.

"Ginny, I have to get dressed. Would you mind taking this down to the kitchen for me? I'll be down in a few minutes," said Harry. Ginny nodded and took the tray from him, closing the door as she left. Harry sighed and opened his trunk. He pulled on a pair of jeans, a tee-shirt, and his trainers. Then he pulled out all of his other clothing and put it on his bed, as Mrs. Weasley had instructed the night before.

Harry headed downstairs quietly, so as not to wake the portrait of Sirius' mother. They hadn't been able to get her portrait down, as the sticking charm was too strong, so they simply put a silencing charm on it. But still, Harry knew not to wake it up. They didn't know if the silencing charm lasted very long on portraits, and Harry didn't want to find out personally.

In the kitchen, Harry found Ginny and her mother having a serious conversation. Coughing to indicate his presence, Ginny and Mrs. Weasley stopped talking abruptly.

"Ah, Harry dear. Good morning! How was breakfast?" asked Mrs. Weasley.

"It was wonderful. Thank you for sending up a tray. I've never had breakfast in bed before. With the Dursleys, if you missed breakfast, you didn't eat again until dinner." Harry said, smiling. Mrs. Weasley smiled back affectionately. Harry noticed four letters on the counter, all of them bearing the purple waxen Hogwarts crest. Molly noticed that Harry had spotted the letters, and her face lit up.

"Harry, dear, the letters came early this morning. I wanted to wait for you to have everyone open them together. Ginny, will you please find your brother and Hermione? Tell them that they are going to open their letters now," she said, picking up the letters. Ginny hurried upstairs, and moments later, the trio came running downstairs to open their letters. Hermione, breathless, was first to grab hers from Mrs. Weasley's fingers and rip it open with shaking fingers.

"I got 11! Ron, Harry, I got 11!" Hermione squealed with delight. Next, Ron, shaking harder than Hermione, ripped his open.

"Well, Ron, what did you get?" asked Mrs. Weasley anxiously, making Ron shake even harder from nervousness. He tore his envelope and Harry could see him trying to count all of his OWL's. Ron's eyes got bright and he said to Harry, "Harry, I can do the Auror program!"

"Harry, go on, open yours!" Ginny said, thrusting his envelope into his hands. She had set hers down on the table haphazardly. Harry opened his envelope carefully, buying himself some time. Harry unfolded his letter with shaky hands. It read:

~
Transfiguration: Exceeds Expectations

Defense Against the Dark Arts: Outstanding

Charms: Exceeds Expectations

Potions: Outstanding
(we all want it to happen!)

Divination: Poor

Astronomy: Acceptable

History of Magic: Poor

Care of Magical Creatures: Outstanding

~

Harry felt a surge of happiness. He could join the Auror program! Ginny snatched the letter out of his hands and shouted with glee. As Harry's letter was passed around the room, Harry couldn't even utter a sound. He knew that Sirius and his parents would both be happy if they were here today. Soon, the kitchen was filled with the sounds of the Weasleys and Hermione shouting with happiness. Harry still couldn't believe that he was capable of starting the Auror trainee program in a few years.

Yet, a thought lingered in the back of his mind; how had he and Ron gotten into Snape's Advanced Potions class? Neither of them had ever been exceptionally good at Potion-making. Harry discarded the thought quickly. After all, if Harry wasn't good enough, he wouldn't have made it into the class.

Suddenly, Ginny's arms enveloped Harry in a hug. "I knew you could do it, Harry. I knew you could," was all she said. Harry gave her a grin as Tonks and Shacklebolt made their way into the noisy kitchen.

"What happened?" asked Tonks excitedly. She directed her question at Mrs. Weasley, who was still beaming with pleasure.

"Well,--Fred, George, would you two stop yelling? Tonks, the OWL results came today, and Ron, Harry, and Hermione just opened them. Hermione got 11, Ron got 6, and Harry got 6," answered Mrs. Weasley proudly. Tonks smiled widely.

"Harry, what are you going to do for a career after Hogwarts now that you know what classes you'll be taking?" she asked, turning to Harry.

"Actually, I want to become an Auror. Lupin always told me that I have the ability to do it, and I really want to be a Dark Wizard catcher more than anything else," came the reply. Tonks beamed with happiness.

"That's great, Harry! Did you get into Snape's Potions class too? I know that it's really hard to get into."

"Yeah, I got in. So did Ron and Hermione. Hermione wasn't a surprise, but I didn't think that Ron or myself would get into his class. Neither of us have ever been that good at potions. Anyway, any word on who our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is going to be?" asked Harry.

"Actually, Harry, that's what I really wanted to talk to you about."

"Well?"

"Dumbledore just told the rest of us this morning. He's decided to have Moody come back and teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, since he never really had the chance to actually teach. And yes, he will also be there to, erm, keep an eye on the all of you. Dumbledore will also be teaching you Occlumency personally, so that what happened last year won't happen again. Please don't take it the wrong way, Harry." Tonks said quietly.

"That's great! Everyone will be happy to see Moody again. We all thought he was one of the best teachers. By the way, do you know who the new Minister is? I've been meaning to ask for a while, but I kept forgetting to ask when I wrote to Hermione and Ron," said Harry, as Ginny came towards the two of them. Harry put his arm around her shoulders carefully, so as not to gain the attention of Fred and George.

"Well, since Fudge is permanently gone, naturally the person that everyone wants to do it is Dumbledore. But, since he won't and has declined the offer, Madame Bones has been offered the position. You might remember her from your disciplinary hearing, Harry. I know she's a nice woman, and a good leader, someone that we can depend on. Which is the perfect person to choose right now?" Tonks told them.

Harry thought back to his hearing the summer before. He remembered Madame Bones. She was supposed to hear his case, but Fudge had changed it at the last minute. Madame Bones had also been the person to ask if his Patronus was a corporeal Patronus, or if it had a distinct form. Harry smiled at the memory, thinking of the woman who had been so kind at the hearing.

"Yeah, I remember her. She was really a nice woman, and seemed to be very fair. Her niece, Susan Bones, is in Hufflepuff at school. I think she would be the most logical choice right now. What would happen if, say, Umbridge was made Minister? That would be crazy! Then again, she wouldn't because she was the one who sent those Dementors after me last summer. Like people would trust a woman like that!" Harry said. Ginny giggled at Harry's vindication. He had, by far, hated Umbridge the most, and everyone knew it. After all, she had taken away the one thing that Harry was spectacularly good at: Quidditch.

"Harry, Ginny, I have to go. Business for the Order. Molly, I'll see you later for dinner, and I'll bring a dessert tonight. Goodness knows that these three deserve a treat." Tonks said to Mrs. Weasley as she left. Everyone else trickled out in twos and threes. Finally, it was just Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and Mrs. Weasley.

Walking over to the table to set his letter down, Harry noticed a red and gold badge sitting in a half-open envelope. Realization hit Harry, and he felt a burst of pride.

Ginny came over to sit down next to Harry, and realized what he had found. She quickly snatched the letter out of his hands and pulled the badge out, dumbfounded.

"Ginny! What's that in your hand?" asked Mrs. Weasley quickly. "Ginny, you're a prefect!"

"Really? Congratulations, Ginny!" Hermione exclaimed, smiling widely. Ron, who had been eating a piece of toast at the moment could only mumble.

"Cngrt, gnn.Oudgoof."

"What?" everyone asked at once. Ron swallowed suddenly, and repeated, "Congrats, Ginny. You did good. Jeez, you guys can't even hear me? What's wrong with you?"

"Well, mate, I think you should ask yourself the same question," said Harry, as everyone laughed.

"Ginny, I'm so proud of you!" squealed Mrs. Weasley. "That's everyone except for Fred and George."

"Gin, I'm proud of you too." Harry whispered in her ear, as Mrs. Weasley turned to the stove to start dinner. She smiled at him and they left Mrs. Weasley alone to finish dinner.

"If you need us Mum, we'll be upstairs," Ginny called down the stairs. Neither of them saw the smile that broke out on Mrs. Weasley's face as the couple made their way up the stairs for some privacy.

"They seem very happy to have each other," came the soft and wise voice of Dumbledore from behind Mrs.Weasley. She turned around to face the headmaster and gone was the bright smile from moments before. All summer, Molly had been dreading this moment.

"Is it time?" she asked, her voice wavering slightly.

"Not yet. I suppose you would like to wait until after everyone has eaten, right?" Professor Dumbledore asked, the usual twinkle gone from his blue eyes and his long fingertips pressed together.

"Yes, I suppose so. It would be hard to enjoy a meal after that."

"Mum, is dinner ready yet?" called Ron before entering the kitchen, Hermione close behind him.

"Ronald, I've told you a hundred times--your mother will let us know when dinner is ready!" chastised Hermione, smacking Ron on the shoulder.

"It's quite all right, Hermione. Why don't the two of you let everyone else know that dinner is ready?" asked Molly, not bothering to turn around and face her youngest son and his girlfriend. Neither of them seemed to notice their headmaster sitting at the head of the table observing the scene with a faint smile.

"All right, Mrs.Weaslely. Ron, you set the table while I go get the others," said Hermione in her bossiest voice. Ron nodded without complaint and watched as Hermione left the room to go find the rest of his family and Harry. Only then did he notice Dumbledore sitting at the table.

"Professor! I didn't know you were here!"

"Ah, Mr. Weasley, I have ways of becoming invisible without the aid of a cloak like Mr. Potter's. I am here not on business for the Order, but on less pleasant circumstances," replied Dumbledore. Ron's face clouded with astonishment and he hurried to set the table.

"Good afternoon, Headmaster. Are the Order members eating here tonight?" Harry asked as he and Ginny sat down at the table.

"No, as I just finished telling your friend Ronald, less than pleasant circumstances bring me here tonight."

As he finished explaining this to Harry, the other members of the Weasley family filed into the kitchen and sat down at the table to eat, each saying hello to the headmaster. When they had all finished eating, or had nearly finished, Dumbledore stood up and cleared his throat.

"As most of you have finished your dinners, I have a few things to say. If I say your name, I need you to stay behind," said Dumbledore, pulling a piece of parchment out of his pocket and unfolding it carefully. He cleared his throat before continuing. "Mr. Harry Potter, Ms. Hermione Granger, Mr. Ronald Weasley, Ms. Ginevra Weasley, Mr.'s Fred and George Weasley, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Weasley. If you would all follow me to the parlor, we could get this over with as soon as possible."

Looks of curiosity shifted between the young persons, but Molly and Arthur nodded gravely as they knew what was to ensue. All of them stood up and followed the legendary man out of the kitchen and into the parlor.

The transformation from before Dumbledore had arrived to now was astonishing to say the very least. Instead of two couches and a chair, the room now held four smaller love seats and a squishy chintz chair for Dumbledore. Before Dumbledore's seat stood a low podium and a pedestal with a large bowl on it. Harry recognized this as a pensieve, from the light and silvery substance that it held.

Everyone sat down tentatively on the seats, wondering what was happening. Dumbledore cleared his throat before continuing on.

"I have called all of you here to witness the reading of the last will and testament of Sirius Orion Black. Each of you has received something in the will and I wished that you all be the only ones to hear it firsthand, as that was the wish of the recently deceased Sirius Black. If you will all step forth, we shall begin."

Each member of the party stood up and stepped toward Professor Dumbledore, and Harry knew what was about to happen.

"This is a pensieve--Sirius's pensieve, to be exact. He left this in my possession should anything happen to him. Now, will everyone put a finger into the pensieve and we shall get this started."

As with a portkey, everyone put a finger into the bowl and its contents. Harry closed his eyes as he felt the familiar sensation of falling into the abyss that was the pensieve. He and Dumbledore landed gracefully in the memory while most everyone else fell into a heap. Harry helped Ginny up and they surveyed the scene around them. Ginny gasped as they saw Sirius sitting in the chintz chair, smiling.

"Is he?"

"No, Gin. This is a memory that he must have given to Dumbledore. He can't see or hear us, but we can see and hear him." Harry said sadly, before the group focused on his dead godfather, who began to speak.

"Hello everyone. I guess that I must be gone now, if you're seeing this memory. I wanted you all to learn from me just exactly what you'll be receiving now that I'm-I'm--well, now that I'm gone. First and foremost, Harry stop thinking that. I know what you're thinking and I won't have it. It doesn't matter how I died, and I want you to celebrate my life rather than blame yourself for my demise.

"Now, I guess I'd better explain who's getting what. First, Ron. I told you before how I felt about--well, you know. Don't forget what I said, because every word of it is true. I leave you that advice as well as the sum of ten thousand galleons that will be put into an account at Gringott's immediately. Use it well and wisely. But I'm sure you won't forget that with Hermione around." Ron smiled sadly, and Hermione gave him a pointed look.

"Speaking of which, I guess you're next, Hermione. To you I leave every single book in this wretched house, the sum of ten thousand galleons, and my advice. You also know what I speak of in that statement. Such a smart witch, I'm sure you'll enjoy the books my family has collected in our library.

"Ginny, in addition to the ten thousand that I am leaving you, I give you my invisibility cloak and my old broom--you know where it is. The cloak is in Moony's possession, but he knows that he's to give it to you. Also, I leave you the trunk that is in my room. You know where the key is.

"Ah, we finally get to my favorite troublemakers, Fred and George. I leave the two of you the sum of twenty-five thousand galleons--not that you really need it. This is to be used strictly for, er, the research and development of new products for your joke shop. Molly, I know you don't approve, but let them be happy and make others happy. God knows we could use it. Also, there is a room upstairs. It's on the third floor, fifth room on the left. In there you will find a few things that should help the two of you out in your endeavor.

"Finally, to my favorite adults. To Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, I leave first my undying gratitude for caring for Harry when you did. For that, a person can never be repaid. However, I can try. To the two of you, I leave the sum of five hundred thousand galleons which has already been transferred into your account. Also, I leave a sort of "dowry" for Ginny that follows wizarding tradition. In a separate account, there is five thousand galleons and a deed. I have already discussed this with Dumbledore and everything has been arranged, so don't even try to refuse it. I won't be needing it anymore.

"Lastly, to my greatest treasure--Harry. I leave you Grimmauld Place, the remainder of gold that is in my vault at Gringotts, and all my other worldly possessions. There are a few things that Moony has for you, too. Also, I'm giving you Kreacher, however foul and loathsome he may be. After all, he does know the secrets of the Order, as Dumbledore will be quick to remind you all.

"It's cruel that fate has ripped us all apart this way, but you all know that I lived long enough to at least get to know my godson. Don't think of me as gone forever--I merely passed on before it was expected. Now, I'll get to see James and Lily and I'll be able to tell them what kind of son they had. Good-bye isn't forever, everyone. I'll see to that."

Sirius's memory finished with a broad smile from the deceased, and it was then that Harry realized that most everyone was crying. As the memory ended, the group was dropped back into the parlor with a few thuds and everyone scrambled to sit one the couches. Harry noticed that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley still looked utterly astonished at what Sirius had left them.

"What deed--when did he?" stuttered Mrs. Weasley, looking towards Dumbledore. His eyes twinkled with merriment once again.

"Ah, Molly I was wondering who would be the first to ask," replied Dumbledore, sinking back into his squishy chair, looking as if he were expecting the questions Mrs.Weasley had just asked, even if he was the only one who understood them.

"He created the will and the memory you just viewed last Christmas, right after the attack on Mr. Weasley. The deed he spoke of is the deed to the Black Family Estate in the countryside outside of London, named Black Woods. It is a large mansion on five hundred or so acres, complete with stables and stream with a waterfall that connects to a very small lake or a rather large pond. That, however, depends on your views concerning bodies of water."

"Why didn't we use that as Headquarters?" asked Harry immediately. Surely if the estate had also been secure as 12 Grimmauld place, they could have used that?

"Harry, I know exactly what you're thinking. Black Woods is not secure like this house is. In fact, it's probably more vulnerable because of the surrounding estates, which belong to the Malfoys, Lestranges, and the Notts. Granted, those families are mostly in Azkaban at the moment or do not use the houses anymore. However, because of their owners, the house was not as secure as it should have been and we needed a place to have as Headquarters as soon as possible. It also did not have the enchantments making it Unplottable, and it would have taken too long to place all of those enchantments and test them to make sure that they were working properly. Does that answer your question?"

"I guess. But what's all this about a "dowry" for Ginny? What does that mean in the Wizarding world?"

"A dowry is generally a sum of money that is given by a girl's parents to the person she marries. In the Wizarding world, in addition to the money, a girl is also given a house to start as her own. It is not usually as extravagant as this one is, but I believe that Sirius couldn't possibly resist. He definitely had a soft spot for Ginny. Are there any other questions?"

There was a chorus of no's and nope's and the Weasley's and Hermione began to leave the room. Soon, it was just Harry and Professor Dumbledore left alone.

"Professor?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"Nevermind. It's nothing important."

"If you say so, Mr. Potter. Harry?"

"Yes?"

"This was also left for you by Sirius," said the wise Headmaster, holding out the parchment that he had set on the podium earlier.

"Thank you, Professor." Harry said, taking the parchment and leaving the room to go find Ginny.