Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ginny's Letters from War by Hollie Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N- This is my first fanfic for this site. I really hope you like it! I found the lyrics for the song here and you can hear the song and watch the video here. Also, the lyrics to the song are the italicized words.

Disclaimer: The characters Ginny and Harry are of course not mine. The song "Letters from War" is not mine either. It's Mark Shultz's. Now on to the story...

Prelude: Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley fell deeply in love and had a son, James. James has the same untidy hair as Harry and the same bright brown eyes as Ginny. When James was four Harry was killed in the war against Voldemort. Years later the war still rages on against Voldemort and the Death Eaters and James goes off to fight in this war.

She walked to the mailbox
On that bright summer's day
Found a letter from her son
In a war, far away

He spoke of the weather
And friends that he'd made
Said, "I'd been thinking 'bout Dad
And the life that he had
That's why I'm here today"
Then at the end he said
"You are what I'm fighting for"
It was the first of his letters from war


Ginny anxiously waited for her mail to come. Her son James had been away fighting in the war against Voldemort and the Death Eaters. She did not want him to go but he insisted saying he had to do this in honor of Dad.

It was a bright, warm summer’s day when it finally came- a letter from James. She dropped all the other letters; those did not matter. The only one that mattered was the one from James.

Dear Mum,
How are you doing, Mum? I’m doing great up here. The weather’s great. It’s been sunny ever since I came.
You don’t have to worry about me being lonely. I’ve made lots of friends. Some of their parents knew you and Dad. They said Dad was a real fighter and they honour them. I’ve also found some old friends from Hogwarts. Isn’t that cool, Mum?
I’ve been doing some thinking in my spare time. Mostly it’s been about Dad and the life he had. I never really knew him much, but all the stories you’ve told about him and truly wonderful. He had to go through so much and die in a battle much like the one I’m fighting in now. That’s why I’m fighting. I want to be like Dad, defeat Voldemort or die trying. I’m also fighting for the protection of you. I love you Mom and I don’t want Voldemort to take over. You would probably be the first to go since you were married to Dad. I love you so much. Please don’t worry about me.

James

She started writing

You're good and you're brave
What a father that you'll be someday
Make it home, make it safe

She wrote every night as she prayed


Ginny was so glad to finally hear from her son. It had been weeks since she left him. She was all alone. She ran and got parchment and a quill and started writing to him.

James,
You are such a good son, James. You are so brave and I love you. You’ll make a wonderful father someday just like your father was before he died. He loved you very much James and he’d want you to be fighting right now. Please be safe and make it home. I can not lose you like I did Harry. Please come home. I love you.

Mum

She sealed up the letter and went to the mailbox. She hated not being allowed to use owl post but since the war was so strong at the moment all wizards and witches had to use muggle post. It made communicating with her son a lot harder.

She’d write him letters every night just to keep herself sane. She was lonely. She prayed to God every night begging Him to please send her Son home.

And late in December
A day she'll not forget
Oh, her tears stained the paper
With every word that she read

It said, "I was up on a hill
I was out there alone
When the shots all rang out
And bombs were exploding
And that's when I saw him
He came back for me
Though he was captured
A man set me free
That man was your son
He asked me to write to you
I told him I would, oh I swore"
It was the last of the letters from war


On a cold December day a letter came from the war zone with her name on it in handwriting she did not know. She opened it up and started to read, tears streaming down her face.

Mrs. Potter,
My name is Daniel and I am a friend of James’s. Mrs. Potter, this news might be alarming to you but I ask that you please stay calm.
A few nights ago I was up alone on a hill when all of a sudden hundreds of dark wizards shot their wands at me and tried to capture me. Then I saw your son James come back to rescue me. I was able to get away but James got captured. He wanted me to write to you and tell you that he was alright. I promised I would. Please don’t worry Mrs. Potter; your son is fine.

Daniel

Ginny burst into tears. She could not help it. Oh how she wanted the last thing in her life to be here in her arms.

And she prayed he was living
Kept on believing and wrote every night just to say

You are good and you're brave
What a father you'll be someday
Make it home, make it safe

Still, she kept writing each day


She prayed hard that night hoping he was still alive, and she wrote him a letter.

James,
James, honey, please make it home safe. You are so good and brave. Baby, I know you can fight this. You are just like your father. I want you to have children so you can treat your children as wonderful as your dad did to you. I know you can win this battle James. Please come home.

Mum

She wrote to him everyday hoping he would reply.

Then two years later
Autumn leaves all around
A car pulled in the driveway
And she fell to the ground
And out stepped a captain
Where her boy used to stand

He said, "Mom, I'm following orders
From all of your letters
And I've come home again"
He ran in to hold her
And dropped all his bags on the floor
Holding all of her letters from war


Two years passed and Ginny lived every day of those two years in deep depression from not hearing from her son.

She was outside hanging clothes out to dry in the crisp autumn wind when a car pulled up. She fell down on her knees praying it was not a captain from the war telling her James had died.

She looked up and tears filled her eyes and began streaming down her face. James had come home.

“Mom, I’m doing just what your letters have told me to do. I’ve come home.”

He dropped his bags on the grass and clutched her stack of letters tightly in his hand. He ran to his mother who was crying and wrapped his arms around her. He held her tightly as she cried onto his shoulder. He was back. He was safe at home at last.

Bring him home
Bring him home
Bring him home