Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Darkest Hour by Stormy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A sickle moon was visible for a few seconds before it was obscured by dense, floating clouds. It’s eerie light falling over tidied gardens, ordered roads and small houses. Occasionally it filtered between a gap in the curtains, partially illuminating a section of the room inside. One of these beams of light fell across a bed at Number Four, Privet Drive and for a few seconds, a 16 year old with untidy black hair could be seen, restlessly twisting in his bed covers.


“No! Sirius! Don’t come… It’s a trick!”

“I’m coming Harry; I won’t let you face the Death Eaters alone. I promised I would protect you no matter what…”

“Please! Don’t…”

It was too late. An intense beam of light caught Sirius square in the chest and he fell backwards, a look of intense fear crossing his face. “Harry! How could you do this to me?!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOO! I didn’t mean to…It was an accident!”

Sirius’ voice echoed from the veil; “Help me, Harry.”

“How?” screamed Harry.



Harry felt as though someone was restraining him; ruthlessly twisting his arms behind his back. He struggled and hit the floor with a crash. Flat on his back, he lay gasping for air, dripping in sweat; although that wasn’t the only reason his face was wet.

Every night since that fateful evening in the Department of Mysteries, Harry had endlessly visualised his godfather’s death over and over again. He wasn’t sure how many times he’d had that dream; each one ending the same as before. Never mind, thought Harry, the pain will ease soon. Who are you kidding? asked another voice in his head. If it weren’t for you Sirius would still be here…

Harry sighed. Yes, Sirius would be here if it weren’t for him. So would Cedric Diggory, Professor Quirrell, his parents. Knowing he wouldn’t sleep again that night, he got up and made his way to his desk; or rather, Dudley’s old desk that he’d no longer wanted after he wanted blue draws instead of red ones.

Drawing back the curtains, he looked out on Privet Drive. As he looked out, he noticed an owl flying towards him. Instantly, Harry pulled open the window and the owl, dropping lower, soared in through the window and landed in a bit of a heap on his pillow.

Leaping up, Harry took the letter from the large barn owl. He recognised the handwriting immediately as from his best friend, Hermione Granger.


Dear Harry,

How are things with you? I’m fine, and so are Ron and family. I’m the messenger for you“know“what so here is the message:

Be ready for 10 o’clock. Same way as the World Cup.

See you later!

Love Hermione.


Harry instantly understood the message; the Order of the Phoenix was coming to get him at 10 o’clock by Floo Powder. He couldn’t wait! Grinning, he got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast.

*~*~*~*


“I’m leaving at 10 o’clock today; ok?” Harry asked.

“Whatever,” came the uninterested answer. Typical, Harry thought, trust Uncle Vernon to show his unwavering concern about me. He got a similar reaction off Aunt Petunia. Dudley just squealed and left the room as soon as he saw Harry.

Helping himself to a slice of toast, Harry waited until 10 o’clock with mounting excitement. Only a small part of him held a little bit of trepidation. Did he want to go back to Grimmauld Place so soon? Well, Harry thought, a little guiltily, at least I'll be back with Ron and Hermione...

*~*~*~*


Everything to do with the Orders’ arrival went exactly as planned. Remus Lupin, Alastor Moody and Arthur Weasley were taking Harry, by Floo Powder, to Grimmauld Place. Calling the name of the Order of the Phoenix’s Headquarters, the last thing Harry saw, looking back at the Dursley’s living room was Vernon shielding Aunt Petunia from both the fireplace and the other members of the Order.

Instantly after the living room was whipped out of sight by emerald flames, Harry closed his eyes and ensured his elbows were tucked in by his sides. He had no wish to come out of Grimmauld Place’s fire, after all, with grazed elbows and feeling as if he was about to vomit.

Feeling himself slowing down, Harry put out a hand and stepped out of the fire place. All the Weasley family (except Percy), Nymphadora Tonks and Hermione were all there waiting for him. Looking around, Harry smiled for the first time in weeks; at last he was home, with the closest thing to family he had ever known.

“Hiya Harry!” Hermione and Ron said together, there faces splitting into wide grins,

Just as Harry opened his mouth to say hello his scar exploded in pain. It was as if someone was repeatedly slashing his forehead with a razor blade, over and over again. Harry no longer knew where he was; he was vaguely aware of his knees hitting the floor and then a rush of sound and colour before everything went black.

“Harry! Oh god, Harry!”

“Harry mate; wake up! Come on!”

Harry opened his eyes and everything came flooding back. Looking up he saw Hermione, Ron and Tonks leaning over him; Mrs Weasley was behind them. Harry put a hand up to his scar and felt it was warm and covered in a wet, sticky substance. Pulling his hand away; staring at his blood covered fingers, he found his voice at last.

“Dumbledore…” whispered Harry. “Get… Dumbledore… Now!








A/N : I hope you liked this chapter, and sorry about the cliffhanger! The next chapter is "Trials and Suffering" and I've combined two chapters together, so the story can be submitted quicker. Otherwise you'd only get about 800 words a chapter.