Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Darkest Hour by Stormy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When Harry awoke the next morning, he couldn’t remember why he felt so uneasy. A few seconds later, everything came back to him and he sat up instantly.

“Snape?!”

Ron looked over from his four poster bed as was he was pulling his socks on. He looked slightly amused at Harry’s outburst.

“That’s nice, Harry, it’s good to see you waking up in such a good mood after the match. Just please remind me next time we have an argument; I’ll tell Ginny that the first thing you think about in the mornings isn’t her but the git who gives you detention twice a week.”

“Very funny, Ron. What happened to Snape?”

Ron gave Harry an incredulous look. “How am I supposed to know? You said last night that Snape went running off to You-Know-Who and that was it. Look, I know he is a Death Eater, was a Death Eater,” he corrected quickly as Harry shot him a warning look. “But I really dunno what you’re so worried about. I mean, you keep saying that you wish Snape would just die or something anyway…” he said, only half jokingly.

Harry put his head in his hands.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron said bracingly. “Let’s go down to breakfast. You’ve got Snape first thing anyway, haven’t you, so you’ll see him then. Just ask him if you’re that worried. I can’t say I am though; good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me.”

Harry walked downstairs as soon as he’d changed and ignored the ‘well done’ calls from the other Gryffindors he past. As he walked out of the portrait hole, Ginny caught up with him and held his hand, squeezing it in gentle comfort. She at least seemed to respect Harry’s disquiet and he was grateful for it. It wasn’t exactly comforting to know that the man he had spent two hours alone with had spent the night negotiating with the person Harry was destined to kill.

Harry jumped nervously, the dead weight of the Prophecy dragging at his conscience. Deep down, Harry knew he’d have to reveal its contents to someone soon. The question was, who to and when?

One thing’s certain,
Harry thought bitterly. It sure as heck isn’t going to be Snape.

“All right there, Harry?” Ginny said softly, interrupting Harry’s dejected thoughts. “Come on, at least you won’t have Occlumency today, which can only be a good thing. Let’s go and get some breakfast or something. What are you going to have to drink?”

Harry walked downstairs without answering, his thoughts a long way from just whether he’d have apple or orange juice with his scrambled eggs.

*~*~*~*


“Sit down,” Snape said coldly when Harry and Hermione walked into Snape’s dungeon. Snape didn’t look at Harry, who was casting him curious, and slightly alarmed, glances.

“Today, I expect you all to complete your colour change potion. Start now.”

Snape walked over to his desk and sat down, pulling out his brown quill and starting to write something on a piece of parchment. Harry, as soon as he’d got his ingredients, sat down and focused on trying to talk to Snape through Legilimency. It still wasn’t easy for him, especially since it was purely self taught.

Professor? Ummmm, what hap-

Shut up, Potter. This has nothing to do with your Chameleon Potion.

But…

For the second time, Potter; for once keep your over inflated ego out of where it doesn’t belong.

Harry felt angry, his temper started to boil as he glared at the Potions Master in hatred. Snape, however, didn’t look up and just continued writing on the parchment.

What happened last night? You disappear off on Voldemort’s instruct-

This is the last time I will tell you, Potter; do not say the Dark Lord’s name. What happened last night is of none of your concern.

What am I supposed to think? The Dark Mark on your arm burns and you run off to wherever he is currently wreaking havoc during the middle of an Occlumency lesson, in the middle of the night too. What did he get you to do this time? Kill a couple of Muggles or something?

Harry waited but Snape didn’t answer. Harry coughed pointedly but Snape didn’t even react as if he had heard him.

Sir?

This time, Harry felt as if a strong, hard layer was between him and Snape. Hesitantly, Harry tried again. No matter how hard he tried, he found he couldn’t break through Snape’s Occlumency defence. Harry cursed under his breath in irritation.

Git… As Ron said earlier, why the hell don’t you ‘just die’ and get out of my life forever…

Snape continued to write on the parchment, his hand never pausing as he penned out words in glistening black ink.

By the end of the lesson, Harry’s potion was much too runny and the colour change was almost non existent. He put a drop onto his quill and succeeded in dyeing the white a slightly creamy, pale blue. He shifted slightly as Hermione tested her potion and her quill turned a vivid, glowing green.

Harry squared his shoulders and tried to stare in Snape’s eyes as he walked between the rows, looking at everyone’s efforts. Snape avoided Harry’s gaze annoyingly easily but, as Snape approached him, Harry once again tried to use his Legilimency to talk to his least favourite Professor. Snape just blocked Harry effortlessly.

“A zero, Mr Giles,” Snape said maliciously as he looked at one of the Ravenclaw’s concoction while simultaneously blocking Harry. “A first year could have done better.”

Harry subconsciously prepared himself for Snape’s lashing comments as he approached his and Hermione’s table. It was easily the worst potion he had made for a long time; Hermione gave him a quick, sympathetic look as Snape approached them.

“It could have been worse, Miss Granger,” Snape said with his usual sneer, meaning he could find nothing to criticise. “And as for Potter…” Snape looked into Harry’s eyes, his glare more icy and penetrating than it had ever been previously. Unwillingly, Harry recoiled away, trying to break Snape’s unforgiving eye contact. Snape wouldn’t let him.

For your information, the Dark Lord is aware there is a spy in his ranks. Your wish that I will ‘just die’, as you put it so delicately earlier, will probably come true soon enough.

Snape walked away, leaving a blushing Harry completely dumbfounded behind him.

“Harry?” Hermione said quietly from beside him. “Harry, what’s up?”

Harry shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. Legilimency again. Snape said… forget it. Just leave it, all right? It’s not my place to say anything…” Harry muttered, stumbling over the words.

Harry was both surprised and relieved when Hermione nodded without argument. “Well, at least you know whatever happened, which is better than nothing. It must be hard, you know, doing what he does…”

They both looked up in time to see Snape staring at Harry, a faint glimmer of a deeply concealed emotion brightening his usually dark eyes. Slightly unnerved, Harry stood up to leave; Hermione did the same. It was only as Hermione left that a strange, disconcerting thought occurred to her. For a split second, she had been almost certain that Snape’s gaze held a possible trace of an uneasy, guarded, respect.

*~*~*~*


At lunchtime, Ginny came over to Harry, who was absentmindedly fiddling with his spaghetti.

“Harry? You all right?” she asked, slipping her arm around Harry.

“Yeah,” he answered, leaning over to give her a fleeting kiss. “Just a bit, you know, distracted.”

“That’s what I thought you’d say, so I’ve got a suggestion. How about we go into Hogsmeade tomorrow? It’s a day off anyway and there’s a trip organised. What do you think?”

Harry looked into Ginny’s dark brown eyes and smiled brightly. “I’d love to.”

“I know you would, that’s why I suggested it,” she answered before glancing at her watch. “Oh no, I’ve got to run. I’ve got Transfiguration next and the bell’s just about to go. See you at dinner!”

“Yeah, see you later,” Harry called to her rapidly departing figure. Distractedly, Harry headed over to the library since he had a free lesson and whiled away the next three hours looking up new hexes for the DA.

*~*~*~*


Harry sat on his bed later that evening, his Clamcelo in his hand, as he recited the memory of what Snape had told him during Potions. A few seconds later, the door to the dormitory banged open and Ron walked in.

“Umm, Harry? What the heck are you doing?”

Harry jumped and looked up. He hadn’t realised Ron would be coming upstairs so soon.

“Nothing,” Harry said evasively. “Just stuff with the Clamcelo…” He blushed as Ron dropped his school bag onto the floor with a loud bang.

Damn,
Harry mentally cursed himself. Why did I have to let slip about the Clamcelo?

“You’ve got a Clamcelo?” Ron said in wide eyed surprise, his voice low.

“Yeah, Dumbledore gave it to me for my birthday…”

“Blimey, Harry,” Ron said weakly, coming over to sit next to him. “Dumbledore must really like you…”

“Why?” Harry answered uneasily. “I mean, it was just a birthday present…”

“Can I have a look at it?”

Hesitantly, Harry opened his hand to reveal the orb. Ron let out a low whistle.

“I didn’t think I’d ever get to see one of them. I think Bill said there are only about a dozen still around, the others got lost or broken or something. You just can’t get hold of them; I only know a bit about them because Charlie tried to get one for Mum a few years back but he gave up in the end. They’re just too rare, not to mention outrageously valuable. Malfoy couldn’t afford one…” he added with a satisfied smirk.

Harry shifted uncomfortably. “When you say outrageously valuable…?”

“Bill, you know, with his work with Gringotts as a curse breaker, said he saw one once. It was a couple of weeks after we went to Egypt in third year actually or he would have shown us it. Only the guy who put that curse on his tomb so Muggles grew extra heads and stuff had one “ none of the other Egyptian king people could get one.”

Harry blushed as Ron stared enviously at the small, marble like ball in his best friend’s hand. “Who knows you’ve got one?”

“No one, apart from you, Dumbledore and Snape.”

“Snape? What the hell did you tell him for?”

“I didn’t tell him,” Harry said quietly. “He sort of found out I suppose, during an Occlumency lesson. I wasn’t planning on telling anyone at all.”

Ron shrugged understandingly, still gazing at the Clamcelo. “Fair enough. You coming downstairs again or are you going to go to bed?”

“I think I’ll stay here,” Harry answered. “I’m a bit tired…”

Ron, realising Harry wanted to be left alone, retreated towards the door but not before giving him a slightly worried look. “See you in the morning, then.”

Nodding gratefully, Harry pulled his hangings shut and fell back onto his pillows. He was asleep within seconds.

*~*~*~*


“Lucius, I believe you have some information for me.”

He looked down and stared at the figure that was kneeling at his feet. He smiled in amusement as the Death Eater grovelled on the stone flagged floor of the Riddle House.

“Yes, my Lord.”

“And?” he sneered in annoyance as Malfoy said nothing.

“I have reason to believe I know the identity of the traitor.”

“And who, exactly, is this Lucius?” He gripped his wand tightly with his long, pale fingers, anticipation coursing through him.

“Severus Snape, my Lord.”

“Crucio!”

Lucius Malfoy writhed and shrieked from the floor, his white blond hair escaping from behind his mask.

“You fool,” he spat, anger swelling inside him as he lifted his wand. “Severus Snape is my most loyal Death Eater. He would not betray me.”

“But, my Lord, I found…”

“That is enough,” he snarled. “Never, ever accuse my spy again. He is more loyal than you ever could be. Now leave me, I expect you to prove your worth before you come up with any more ridiculous suggestions. It would be more sensible if you came up with some tale saying Severus was actually a spy for the Order of the Phoenix…”

Bowing and grovelling, Lucius Malfoy retreated from the room. Nagini, his pet serpent, slithered over to him.

“My beloved Nagini,” Voldemort hissed in Parseltongue. “Bring Nott here; his service to me has been doubtful of late, I feel his tie to my intentions needs to be reinforced. As for Lucius, you cannot have him yet. You will have your chance in the end. His fall in favour at the Ministry has meant his worth to me is less than it was...”

Harry woke up, sweating and shaking, with his scar burning and stabbing with pain. He vowed silently to the darkness that he would never reveal to Snape just quite how close he was to being discovered.








AN/ Ok, not the world’s longest chapter but I hope you enjoyed it all the same. As always, thanks to everyone who’s been reviewing…!