Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Darkest Hour by Stormy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was the middle of November and the faintest trace of snow was beginning to fall on the peaks surrounding the castle. Most of the corridors and classrooms were still relatively warm although Snape’s dungeon, as always, was bitterly cold. It hadn’t taken long for everyone to start wearing their cloaks in the lesson; something which Snape had instantaneously banned. Much to everyone’s annoyance, Snape sat at his own desk wearing his cloak while smirking as the students huddled around the meagre heat produced by their cauldrons.

Ever since Hallowe’en, the Death Eaters had been moderately quiet with several reports of torturing but no known murders, either Muggle or wizard. Inside the castle, the tension which had engulfed it had finally abated. Some students, and there were many, began to believe that Voldemort had gone to ground for good. Harry, relieved that nobody else had been killed, allowed himself to be absorbed by schoolwork, Quidditch practice and the frequent DA meetings.

*~*~*~*


“Welcome back to another DA meeting. This session, I am hoping that you will begin to master the art of duelling,” Harry said as he stood on the stage in the Room of Requirement at the latest DA meeting. “Please only attempt to disarm you opponent, we don’t want anyone going away with chicken feathers or something.”

“I hadn’t thought of doing that to someone. Thanks for the idea Harry!” called a Hufflepuff third year.

Harry grinned and he looked over to them. “Well, if you ever find out what the charm is let me know. Lord Voldemort would look good with feat - ” Harry’s voice was drowned out by gasps, hisses and even a few screams. Harry, after shaking his head in disbelief, continued doggedly. “Anyway, if you could all divide up into pairs, preferably with people who are about the same level as you skill wise and you can start when I blow the whistle.”

Talk broke out as everyone at the meeting tried to find a partner who was about the same level as themselves. Ron, a faint red tinge staining his ears, looked over at Hermione and paired with her. Even Harry noticed that Hermione had a tinge of red gracing her cheeks when Ron asked her to duel with him.

“On my whistle then,” Harry shouted. “One...two…three…” As soon as the shrill whistle cut through the air, shouts and flashes shook the room as everyone attempted to disarm their opponent. Walking between the pairs, Harry observed each of the groups.

The first pair Harry came to was Neville and Seamus. Essentially, Neville was good although his notoriously poor aim meant his spells often missed Seamus, whom he had partnered. As a contrats to Neville, Seamus was quick and accurate with his spells although appeared to crack slightly under the pressure of duelling with an opponent.

The Creevey brothers, on the other hand, were erratic and unpredictable and generally only managed to make other DA members move away from them in alarm. Several of the newer DA members still seemed to be unsure as to whether the Creevey brothers even knew what magic was, let alone how to actually cast a spell.

Grinning again, Harry made his way over to Ginny who stood determinedly facing a Ravenclaw seventh year and the pair were duelling in earnest. Ginny’s lack of actual knowledge was more than made up for by her fiery personality and determination and she succeeded in disarming her opponent in a surprisingly short length of time.

Surprised, Harry shouted out “Well done Ginny. That was fantastic!” and caused her to turn a brilliant shade of crimson. Glancing around the room, Harry spent the rest of the meeting correcting everyone’s spell casting techniques and the two hour meeting passed in a remarkably short amount of time.

After the last person had left the meeting, thankfully without any feathers, Harry glanced round when he realised that Ron and Hermione hadn’t left yet. His eyes widened in shock as he saw them curled up in a hidden corner together; Ron was gently tugging his hand through Hermione’s hair and whispering something in her ear while Hermione was giggling quietly. Grinning, Harry turned around and left Ron and Hermione to enjoy a little alone time together.

*~*~*~*


Quidditch tryouts had taken place a few weeks earlier and the team consisted of only one alteration from the year before; a Chaser to replace Angelina.

Katie had become team captain and Ginny had resigned from her position as Seeker in favour of Harry. Katie had immediately put her back on the team, although this time as a Chaser. Kirke and Sloper had improved over the summer, largely due to them being stronger than they were before, and the fact they also were no longer afraid of the Bludgers was helping significantly too.

Ron was back as Keeper and the third chaser position was taken by Euan Abercrombie, a quiet, shy boy who none the less showed extraordinary talent on the Quidditch Pitch.

“Right then you lot,” Katie started, standing in front of her team in the changing rooms. “This year the Quidditch Cup is ours for sure. We should have had it last year too but due to that Umbridge woman banning our star Seeker and both the Beaters…” she tailed off, clearly thinking back to the year before. Harry blushed and squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. He had no intention of get himself a lifelong ban again.

“…so we’re going to train harder this year and let’s hope…” Harry didn’t hear the rest of Katie’s sentence; his mind drifted back to the Department of Mysteries and, as he did so, his scar seared with a sharp pain.

“Ow!”

“Harry?” Ron said. Harry was amazed to see Ron standing in front of him with dirt up one side of his robes.

“Ron,” Harry said, puzzled, “why are you covered in mud? We haven’t even practiced yet!”

Ron looked at Harry strangely. “What? When I fell off my broom. Didn’t you see?”

“Which Quidditch practice?” Harry said starting to laugh. “I can’t believe you haven’t washed you clothes since last session!”

There was no doubt about it “ Ron was looking at Harry like he’d just landed from Mars. “Harry, I fell off this session. About five minutes ago.”

Harry went white. “Oh my Go- ….”

“What?” Ron interrupted, starting to panic. “What?!” Harry looked away from Ron in horror.

“I don’t remember,” Harry whispered. “Listen to me Ron, I’m staying here. I don’t want anything to happen to…anyone. Get the first Order member you can find to come here straight away. Please, be quick!”

Ron, casting a startled look at Harry, bolted out of the door of the changing room heading back up to the castle.

Inside himself, Harry felt a strange, leaping feeling. He had a horrible feeling he knew what was coming “ Voldemort hadn’t been this happy in a long time. Pulling of his wristwatch, Harry stared determinedly at the second hand, making sure he could remember what had happened the second before.

“Harry!” a panicked voice yelled as the changing room door opened in a shower of sparks. “Harry!”

To Harry’s amazement, Remus Lupin, with Ron close on his heels, burst through the door and the former grabbed Harry by the shoulders and pulled him around to face him.

“Harry! Are you all right? Shall I get Dumbledore? What’s happened?”

“Yes… I mean no… I… what is… what are you doing here?” Harry said, confused. “I thought you were in London!”

“Yes, yes; forget about that now though. What about you?”

“I can’t remember what I’ve been doing. I think it’s because of “ Ahhh!” Harry yelped, as his scar burnt fiercely again.

“Help,” Lupin snapped at Ron, who was goggling at his best friend. Ron walked quickly over to Harry and put one of Harry’s arms over his own shoulder, slightly nervous that Lupin was seemingly angry with him. Lupin copied Ron and pulled Harry’s arm over his shoulder.

“Get him up to the castle, as quick as we can.”

Just as Ron and Lupin pulled Harry out of the changing rooms, Harry’s scar burnt savagely and he fell forwards onto the grass out of Ron’s and Lupin’s grasp. On all fours, Harry felt another surge of happiness surge through him and he retched. Lupin pulled Harry upright and forcibly dragged him up to the castle as Ron ran on ahead. As soon as Harry reached the castle, largely due to Lupin’s insistent pulling, he felt himself get weaker as if the emotional driving force behind him was being reduced. In his last few seconds of conscious thought, Harry managed to gasp out five words.

“Dumbledore… Voldemort… possessed… Ask… Ginny!”

*~*~*~*


Boredom. That was Dumbledore’s official verdict. Voldemort was only practicing his possessing skills and he had done nothing other than mess around with Harry for an hour or so. The love which burnt constantly in Harry prevented Voldemort from controlling him completely although the Dark Lord, with the help of the blood he took from Harry, was able to practice for a little while.

Harry had no strong feelings running at the time Voldemort began to control Harry and Dumbledore was still convinced a direct attack could still be prevented by Harry's love. Even so, Dumbledore insisted that Harry was to practice Occlumency as much as possible and told Ron and Hermione to stay with Harry for the remainder of the day. He also asked Ginny to talk to Harry when “Harry’s ready to talk.”

Harry, who had resigned himself to Voldemort’s attack in a remarkable short space of time, acted as if nothing had happened and focused instead on Occlumency and the approaching Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw game. The others, taking Harry’s lead, refrained from mentioning what had happened and acted normally.

Lupin had returned to Grimmauld Place the following day, having only been at Hogwarts to drop off “something for the Order.” Even so, Harry was grateful to have seen him and began to look forward to the Christmas holidays when everyone would meet up again at Headquarters on Christmas Day.

A small part of himself squirmed guiltily though ; No Sirius, Harry thought. This’ll be the first Christmas without him…

*~*~*~*


The morning of the Quidditch match dawned bright and cold, a little of the wintry sunlight breaking its way through the fragile blue sky. Harry, the familiar adrenaline rush returning, waited excitedly in the changing rooms as Katie gave her pre match talk.

The only thing anyone could say about the match afterwards was that it was fast. Madam Hooch blew the whistle and every player soared into the air, Katie immediately seizing the Quaffle. Barely three minutes later, Madam Hooch’s whistle rang out as Harry raised his hand triumphantly in the air “ he now held the two fastest times for the capture of the Snitch in Hogwarts’ history.

Grinning from ear to ear, Harry made his way over to the stands where every member of Gryffindor ran forward and raised the team onto their shoulders.

That evening, the party in the Gryffindor common room lasted until well after midnight. Dobby conveniently supplied mountains of food for them all although since almost everything was in the shape of a snitch, many people seemed to lose their appetite.

At one o’clock, all the sixth year boys headed up to the dormitory for the evening, full to bursting with snacks and drinks. Ron grinned over to Harry as he pulled the hangings shut around his bed, “Great catch mate.”

Harry smiled happily in response. “Thanks, Ron. Shame I couldn’t have beaten my last record though.” Ron shook his head in disbelief.

“’Night, Harry,” he yawned.

“’Night Ron,” Harry answered, falling back onto his pillow and closing his eyes. That night, elated and relaxed, he had the first untroubled night he’d had in a long time.

Not even Voldemort could ruin this night for Harry so, true to form, he waited until the next morning.

*~*~*~*


“My Lord, you called me,” a cloaked figure said from the floor in front of him.

“Yes, Avery. Bring Lucius and Bellatrix to me.”

Nodding and bowing, Avery retreated from the room. Looking down, he examined his white, spider-like hands and recoiled slightly as a wave of pride and happiness washed over him. This connection was becoming a bore. Even so, a thin smile twisted the corner of his pale lips as Lucius and Bellatrix walked into the hall.

“My loyal Death Eaters,” he hissed quietly. “Harry Potter has just secured a victory for Gryffindor in the inter-house Quidditch cup.”

A small surge of anger shot through him as Bellatrix and Lucius exchanged bemused glances.

“I feel that it is only fair that we have our own celebrations. One could even go as far as saying in appreciation of the scum’s flawed win.”

Insane smiles lit up the masked faces of two of Voldemort’s most dangerous supporters. “Ahhh, my loyal, cruel Death Eaters,” Voldemort breathed quietly. “Maybe one day you will achieve the same levels of responsibility as my most faithful supporter.”

Bellatrix’s face darkened while Lucius looked up at his master.

“I beg you, master; let us know who this faithful servant is so we can honour them with the respect they so rightly deserve.”

Voldemort laughed cruelly. “Crucio!”

“Get up, Lucius,” Voldemort said unfeelingly as he raised his wand. “You are worthless “ you needed rescuing. If you want to be counted among my most loyal, I suggest you take lessons from my faithful, devoted spy. He will give you a lesson in loyalty.”

Bellatrix looked at Voldemort. “Who is this, master?”

Voldemort laughed again. “Go to Manchester, Bellatrix, and carry out your task. You as well, Lucius. I expect better of you “ both of you.”

Both Death Eaters bowed. “And,” Voldemort continued a smile curling his mouth. “If you are serious that you want a lesson in loyalty to me, I suggest you ask my bravest servant “ Professor Severus Snape, Potions Master at Hogwarts.”












A/N : Sorry this chapter’s a bit short “ I had real trouble with it and none of it seemed to work the way I had planned it to but I hope you liked it! Anyway, let me know your opinions please! Thanks for reading!