Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

It's About Time by iluvhp

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was 8 PM and the Common Room was amped with a chattering buzz. Hermione was hurriedly scribbling on a long piece of parchment, while Ron sat brooding over his Potions essay. Harry could feel the tension in the air getting ready to explode. Ron and Hermione had had another row this morning over a homework assignment. There was always a flaw that each of them found in each other; Hermione was too overbearing, Ron was too lazy, Hermione didn't let Ron cheat off her homework, Ron talked with his mouthful. No matter what they did, they always found their faults.

"This is absolutely ridiculous." Ron silently cursed, "How does he expect us to finish this in two days? I mean, honestly."

Hermione continued writing feverishly, ignoring Ron's remarks. "What are you writing for anyway? I thought you already finished your homework," Ron demanded.

Hermione finished her last sentence and looked up from her parchment, "If you must know, I am writing to Viktor." Red patches appeared on Hermone's face, but she ignored the burning glare she was receiving from Ron.

"What?!" he exclaimed, "Why are you even in contact with him?" Ron's face had turned a bright shade of scarlet, melting in with his red hair.

"Ron!" Hermione stated oddly calm, "I am allowed to speak to whomever I please, despite what you may think."

Ron grew redder than ever, "He's nothing but a grouchy git! And he's four years older than you! Why do you like him?"

Hermione stood fuming, "Ron! Yes I like Viktor, but nothing more than a friend and if you can't accept that then you're not the friend I thought you were!" The Common Room was no longer busy with talking, it was silent. All eyes were on them. The sight of Ron and Hermione arguing was nothing new, but tonight it was different; tonight, something big was going to happen. Ron was standing now too, Ron considerably taller than Hermione, but she stood firm all the same. Their eyes were locked on each other, neither breaking their gaze.

"Why do you care about whom I speak with and why do you hate Viktor so much?!" Hermione yelled.

"Because I'm jealous and I love you too much to lose you!"

"Oh yeah, well I love-"

Their words hung in there air, ready to drop at any moment. Ron stood mortified at his own slip, Hermione looked as if she had been struck in the face, each turning redder and redder as the seconds rolled on. The crowds attention never wavered, each keen on what would happen next. Harry sat baffled at both of their confessions. Finally Hermione turned on her heel and ran off towards the Girl's Dormitory, Ron ran for the portrait hole, neither speaking another word. Finally, the truth came out. The crowd began to undo itself and everyone got back to their business, though Harry could catch glimpses of discussions, talking about what they had just witnessed. Harry figured Ron wouldn't come back for a while and Hermione was now confined to her room. He was left alone and confused. *I guess I should have seen this coming* he thought to himself, *I wonder why I never really looked deeper into it.*

By ten o'clock Harry was emotionally drained and Ron had still not come back from his nighttime stroll. Hermione was still upstairs, so he decided to go to bed. Curious stares followed him up the stairs, but it didn't bother him. He hadn't said one word. Harry got dressed and lay in bed, but couldn't fall asleep. He heard Dean and Seamus come to bed at eleven, but Ron was nowhere to be found. Harry's eyes slowly closed and he fell into a deep sleep.

xxx

The next morning Harry awoke to a blinding blue sky. He looked over at Ron's bed and realized that he either hadn't come to bed last night or he actually made his bed this morning. His watch only read 6:15. It was still early so Dean, Seamus and Neville were all asleep still. Harry got up and got dressed and headed down for the Great Hall, when he discovered Hermione awake and dressed in the Common Room.

"Hermione?" he asked.

"Oh," she replied, obviously startled. "Hello."

"Are you alright Hermione?" Harry asked, she had an oddly blank stare, "You seem lost."

Hermione laughed nervously, "I guess you could say that."

Harry didn't want to mention that night's events, in fear that she break down, so he asked the only question he could come up with, "Want to go eat breakfast?" She turned to him and smiled weakly, "Sure."

xxx

Harry and Hermione walked down to the Great Hall silently and walked through the double doors. It was mostly empty with the exception of a few early risers and a single redhead sitting at the Gryfindor table. Hermione stiffened and stopped walking, "Maybe I should go to the library," she said uncertainly.

"But the library doesn't open until 7:00." Harry stated, "Let's just eat and then you can go to the library." Hermione looked at Harry pleadingly, "Harry, do you actually expect me to go and eat with him, as if nothing happened." Harry looked at her eyes, the were bloodshot and watery, she obviously hadn't gotten much sleep last night. Harry turned and looked at Ron's lifeless form, he was crouched over a plate of toast, nibbling mercilessly. "Hermione look at him. He's not going to get any better if you don't talk to him. Maybe you can work it out."

Hermione glanced at Ron and sighed, "Fine, but I'm warning you if this turns into a complete disaster you will have to pay the consequences." Harry took her threat into consideration and smiled, "It's a deal."

They walked over to Ron slowly, Hermione's eyes darting towards the door, but Harry pushed her onward. They finally reached The Gryfindor table where Ron sat quietly. "Hi Ron." Harry said overly cheery. Ron looked up from his toast and gasped in surprise to see Hermione. Hermione averted her eyes form his, Ron gaped like a goldfish out of water. Harry sat down and Hermione, after some persuasion, did too.

"So..." Harry said trying to get the conversation going. He had nothing to say. Ron was looking down at his toast and Hermione was peculiarly fascinated by the juice in her goblet. Harry couldn't tell which was redder than the other, they both looked like ripened tomatoes.

Harry couldn't take the silence any longer, this was pointless. They both felt the same way, so why couldn't they just talk. People began entering the Great Hall; if they were going to resolve this today, they better get a move on. Harry's frustration took hold of him, it was now or never, "Why don't you two stop being so delusional and open up your eyes! You obviously feel the same way about each other, why don't you just admit it!" Hermione was biting her lip in fear of letting something slip, Ron turned darker than ever. Neither spoke, "Fine," Harry exclaimed, "if you two aren't going to let me help then work it out yourselves!" he got up and stormed away, never looking back at his two best friends.

xxx

Harry's abrupt departure left Ron and Hermione in state of fear, embarrassment and shock. "Listen-" they said in unison. They stopped and smiled.

"Go ahead," Hermione offered.

Ron swallowed deeply and looked Hermione in the face, "Last night I said some pretty crazy things." Hermione's face broke, she had thought he had meant those things.

Ron stopped in bewilderment. "No wait, I said that wrong. What I mean is, Hermione I like you. A lot. And the only reason I hate Viktor so much is because I know how open you are with him and how much he has to offer-"

"Ron," Hermione broke in, "do you really think I'm that shallow?"

Ron's face contorted with bafflement. "No. I just mean that he's a much better catch than I am."

Hermione looked at him solemnly, "I'll be the judge of that." Ron cracked a lopsided grin at her, at least this was going smoothly.

"Ron, I like you too. And if I really liked Viktor you and Harry would've known. When have I ever kept something from you?" Ron smiled, recalling the year she used a time-turner to get to all her classes. "Okay," she said smiling too, "maybe once." They sat in silence once more. "I'm not the type of girl to go out with a guy just because he's an international superstar. There are more important things, but I don't think I'm ready for a steady relationship just yet."

Ron knew that was coming. A sinking feeling dropped into the pit of his stomach and he felt like shouting in her face, to wake up. Hermione could see the hurt on his face and continued.

"I can't go out with you just yet. I need some time to get use to this whole 'crush' thing"

Ron's spirits lifted, he still had a chance. "Alright." he agreed. "I've waited this long, what's another couple of weeks?" Ron smiled, happier than he ever thought he could feel. Hermione too, felt a glowing swell in her chest, she couldn't quite explain. They got up from the table as more students filed in and walked towards the Common Room.

*This day couldn't get any better* Ron thought, then he felt a smooth small hand enter his. *It just did.*