Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Summer of Several Attempts by allieb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The farmhouse battle had left the Wizarding world decidedly split. Half the folks were celebrating in the streets again, the other half were not convinced that the war was over. The Ministry called everyone to be cautiously optimist until Voldemort and the Death Eaters were interrogated.

Harry didn’t know what to think. Lupin and Dumbledore had been markedly silent about the whole affair. He couldn’t get a straight answer out of either of them about whether or not the war was over. He was having trouble getting an answer out of either of them about where he was suppose to go for the rest of the summer.

Harry had remained at the farmhouse the night of the attack. The next day the house was crawling with reporters, Ministry officials, and random wizards who wanted to see the site for themselves. Harry milled around with Lupin mostly as he discussed the battle with the Ministry officials. Harry had been approached by every reporter that came. Lupin had told the reporters that Harry had been directed by Ministry to not make a statement. Harry took the point. Earlier in the summer, he had signed some Ministry documents which didn’t allow him to release confidential information. If he did, he would suffer three month of deafness. It didn’t seem worth it.

Later in the day, Rita Seeker showed up. She looked better than she did at their last meeting. She wandered over and pulled out her Quick Quotes Quill and tried to interview Harry.

Harry cut her off, “I’m not doing this again. You have caused me way too many problems.”

“Harry,” she said sweetly, “Hermione has let me off the hook, you should too. The world has changed Harry, and the public is demanding stories like the one I wrote for you in the Quibbler. I did you a big favor there.”

“You did it because Hermione made you do it. It had nothing to do with your good intentions.”

“I didn’t say that, I was just asking for an interview, your impression of the war, where you have been since the attack at your home, that kind of thing.”

Harry smiled ruefully at her. “I can’t even if I wanted to, I have been directed by the Ministry not to make a statement at this time.”

Rita smiled brightly. “Well if you won’t give me anything directly, at least that gives me something to look into. Oh and Harry, when did the scar on your forehead reopen?”

Harry looked surprised, the attack on the way to Builth Wells had opened the scar, but it had since healed over. Harry felt the scar and it had a fresh scab.

Lupin quickly walked over. “Harry has been directed by the Ministry not to make a statement. Please do not trouble him further. Come on Harry,” Lupin said to him pulling him away.

“When did my scar open up again?” Harry asked Lupin. “Why didn’t anyone mention it to me sooner?”

“It happened sometime after the attack started but before we were in the safe room. I really don’t know when,” Lupin answered. “Listen, Harry, I have a few more people that I need to talk with before I can wrap up my piece of the clean-up. Once that’s done, we’ll track down Dumbledore. I think that we’ll be able to resume our normal lives for awhile at least.”

Harry decided that if they were going to leave the farmhouse he would need to get his stuff in order. He went up to his bedroom and found Percy Weasley sitting on Ron’s bed.

Harry was surprised, and taken aback. “Percy?” he asked confused. “What’s going on?”

“My dad sent me actually,” Percy said. “Dad wanted you to know that Mum, Ron, and Ginny are all okay. Mum is going to need a few days in the hospital, but they’ll all make a full recovery.”

Harry sighed and sat down. “Good, I was worried.”

“Harry,” Percy began, “There is one other thing, I wanted to apologize. I should have realized that Fudge was using me. I didn’t. Madam Bones explained the whole thing to me after Fudge was forced to leave office. Madam Bones almost fired me as well, but Dad talked to her and she reassigned me to a different area. I’m now in the Portkey office.”

Harry didn’t know what to say, so he didn’t say anything.

“That’s the other reason I’m here. Dad told me to come get you and bring you back to the Burrow. We just need to clear it with Lupin and Dumbledore first.”

“Really?” Harry asked excitedly. “That’s great. I’m glad that you guys are still willing to associate with me after all the pain and suffering I’ve brought to your family.”

“Harry, Charlie was right, it’s not your fault, and everyone knows that. Now at least,” Percy said stiffly.

Harry tracked down Lupin after several minutes of searching, and Harry confirmed that going to the Burrow was fine with him. Tonks was still assigned to be Harry’s guard, and after some more tracking down, she agreed that she would join him by the end of the day. But before they could leave, Albus Dumbledore stopped them.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said gravely, “I think that you should go back to Privet Drive for the rest of this summer.”

“Excuse me, sir,” Percy said. “My father specifically asked me to come get Harry so that he could stay with us for the rest of the summer.”

“I know,” Dumbledore answered Percy, “And I understand the sentiment behind it. I admire your father’s loyalty to Harry. But, I cannot put your family in any more danger. Voldemort may be captured, but he has not been destroyed. I believe the Death Eaters are going to try for Harry at least one more time this summer. Since this house has been breached, Privet Drive is the safest place to go.”

Harry was about to protest, but Dumbledore cut him off, “I know you don’t like this Harry, but it is in everyone’s best interest. The Weasleys have been through enough. Your aunt has been asking to see you. It’s time you went home.”

Harry opened his mouth, closed it again, and then opened it again, but he couldn’t decide what to say. He wanted no part of the Dursleys, now or ever again. He had hoped to be done with them forever when the Muggle Social Service Department gave him to the Grangers. Now it looked like he would have to go back.

Harry finally asked, “What about the Grangers? Aren’t I supposed to be living with them?”

“Yes,” Dumbledore answered, “You are going to be living with the Grangers. Mrs. Granger and Hermione are coming to live with you at Privet Drive.”

“Aren’t my aunt and cousin there?” Harry asked confused.

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled. “Yes, they are, along with your uncle’s sister. But the Muggle authorities demanded that you not be left alone in your aunt’s custody. Therefore, this situation has arisen. It is just for a week or so. If everything stays quiet and the Ministry has good luck with their interrogation of Voldemort, then at the end of the your stay, you’ll be able to go to King’s Cross and ride the Hogwarts Express like the rest of the students.

“It’s really for the best Harry. I don’t want the protective magic on Privet Drive to weaken. That place is still a refuge for you.” Dumbledore turned and faced Percy. “I’m sorry Percy. Tell your parents that I want Harry to stay with his aunt on Privet Drive for the rest of the summer. They should understand. If not, have them get a hold of me.”

Percy nodded. “I’ll let them know, Professor. See you later, Harry.” Percy got up and walked out of the room.

Dumbledore continued, “Get packed, Harry. The Ministry is sending a car for you now. You’ll be leaving in a few hours.”

A car came to get Harry. Harry’s only companion on the journey was Tonks. Lupin had decided to stay behind, to further help with the investigation at the farmhouse. He promised Harry that he’d keep in touch. Harry had a funny feeling that he just didn’t want to go back to Privet Drive.

It was insanely late when they pulled in the driveway at Number Four Privet Drive. There was a light twinkling merrily in the window. Harry and Tonks grabbed the luggage out of the trunk of the car and made it into the house.

Harry walked into his house quietly, trying not to wake up anyone, but Aunt Petunia walked out of the living room and pressed him to a hug. Harry was shocked; he couldn’t remember ever being hugged, he confusedly returned the hug to his aunt.

Aunt Petunia was crying, she said, “Oh Harry, I’m so glad to see you. Are you all right?”

“Yeah, I’m all right,” Harry answered stiffly, not knowing exactly how to behave.

“I thought you were going to die, Harry. I really did,” she cried. “I promised Dumbledore that I’d keep you safe and I was sure that you were going to die.” She broke the hug and sobbed some more. Harry patted her shoulder trying to be comforting.

Hermione and Mrs. Granger entered the foyer and they both gave Harry a hug. Mrs. Granger put her arm around Aunt Petunia and led her back into the living room. Harry and Hermione followed, while Tonks took Harry’s stuff up to his bedroom.

Aunt Petunia sobbed for a few minutes more while Harry said his hello’s to the Grangers. Hermione was really curious about the clean-up at the farmhouse, and Harry was really concerned about the Weasleys, especially since Dumbledore refused to let him go back to the Burrow. Aunt Petunia composed herself while Harry and Hermione chatted.

After a few minutes, Aunt Petunia spoke again, “Are you really okay, Harry?”

Harry considered the question, and after a pause said, “I’m really okay. I’ve been getting treatments both from my doctor here in Little Whinging, and some magic too. They have both really helped.”

“What about your gunshot wounds? They’re healed?” she asked.

“Yes, they’re healed.”

“Would you show me?” Aunt Petunia asked.

Harry shrugged and pulled his shirt up a couple of inches on the side to show the scar. It was still angry looking, but it had closed over with scar tissue, with no infection.”

“They said as much, but I didn’t realize,” Aunt Petunia said mostly to herself. “Why didn’t they heal you magically?” she asked Harry. “It would have been a simple matter. Your Mum could have done it.”

“My Mum was a healer?” he asked blankly.

“Yes, she was. She was working at St. Mungo’s when she died. She was working with reversing spells that went awry.”

“I didn’t know that,” Harry admitted to her. Then with a rush of daring Harry asked, “I thought you and my Mum didn’t get along.”

“We didn’t. She could never understand why I didn’t want to be a witch,” Petunia said levelly. “I never could understand why she did.”

“What do you mean you didn’t want to be a witch?” Harry asked confused.

Aunt Petunia sighed and looked at Harry in the face. “I could have gone to Hogwarts, but I decided against it. I didn’t want to be a witch. I wanted to be a normal person. They gave me something to drink and I haven’t had any magic since. Your uncle doesn’t know that I was a witch. He doesn’t know, and I don’t want him to know. I’m as normal as he is now, and there is no reason to bring up my past.”

“You were a witch?” Harry asked stunned.

“Yes, I was. I was doing a great job of distancing myself from magic until you landed on my doorstep. Then every other day it seemed, you were accidentally blowing up the kitchen, finding yourself on the roof of the school, or making your hair grow magically after I just gave you a hair cut. These last few years have been the worse. First the deal with the letters, then Dudley’s tail, then you lost Vernon his huge business deal, then you blew up Marge, then you blew up the living room, then you and Dudley were almost killed by Dementors, and then that huge magical battle on our doorstep. I can’t seem to get away from magic.

“After last year, Vernon started to suspect me, and I had to distance myself from magic again. All I ever wanted was a normal life without magic. And I would have had it if it weren’t for you, Harry.”

“It’s not my fault my parents were murdered,” Harry answered back angrily, “I didn’t ask for this.”

“No you didn’t, but Lily was killed because of you, Harry. She didn’t have to die. He wasn’t after her; he was after you and your Dad. You two are the last of the Potters.”

That was the second time that Harry had been told that Voldemort was after the Potters. Even after all the information he amassed, he didn’t know why. “What does that mean? What is the deal with me being the last of the Potters?”

“Your Mum told me the whole thing before she and your dad were married. I don’t remember all of it. I think your father was a descendent of one of Hogwarts founders. And then there was something about a special ability that all male members of your family have. I don’t know what that was.”

“I have a special ability?” Harry asked more to Hermione than anyone.

Aunt Petunia answered, “Apparently. Listen Harry, I don’t want your uncle knowing that I was a witch. So we’ll keep this between you and me. In exchange, I won’t let Vernon know that it was really you the gunman was after.”

Harry was shocked that his aunt realized the gunman was after him, so he just nodded his agreement.

Petunia continued, “I’m glad you’re home, Harry, but don’t push your luck. Please try and not cause any more trouble for the rest of the summer. You are sleeping in Dudley’s room for the week. The Grangers are staying in your room.”

Harry nodded again and after a few more minutes of chit chat, the group broke up and went to bed for the evening.

The week at Privet Drive was strange. The odd mix of company both caused strain and harmony at the same time. Harry knew that Aunt Petunia wasn’t happy about the Grangers being there, but they were legally required to be there or both Aunt Petunia and Mrs. Granger would be in trouble with social services. Aunt Petunia didn’t want to admit to Aunt Marge that she lost custody of Harry. Aunt Marge would insist that they all leave, Harry included, which Aunt Petunia couldn’t allow because Harry was under her protection magically. Aunt Petunia kept Aunt Marge under wraps by having her running all the errands, and having her stay with Uncle Vernon for a good portion of the day.

With Aunt Petunia back in her right mind, Dudley was studying every morning from around nine in the morning until lunchtime. Hermione for some reason got a kick out of this. She hadn’t been in a Muggle school in a long time, but she apparently did quite well when she was there. She was reading Dudley’s text books and trying to learn his Geometry. They sat together and studied. Dudley didn’t know what to think, but he seemed to like the company.

Mrs. Granger tried to stay out of the way, so as not to cause Harry any more problems with his family. But she was obviously incensed about both Petunia and Marge’s general treatment of Harry. At one point, she muttered under her breath, “If I was magical, I would turn them both into toads.” Her presence and relationship with Harry kept Aunt Petunia in line.

Tonks was another matter. She was her usually enthusiastic self, trying to help everyone, which annoyed Aunt Petunia to no end. Harry kept Tonks busy. He was having her teach him all sort of defensive magic in their free hours.

So it worked out that Mrs. Granger kept Aunt Petunia from treating Harry poorly, while Aunt Petunia kept Aunt Marge out of the way so she wouldn’t treat Harry poorly, Dudley was becoming friends with Hermione which kept him from treating Harry poorly, and Hermione and Mrs. Granger didn’t press any issues with them to keep the peace. It was an interesting circle with Harry in the middle, who was keeping Tonks busy so that he wouldn’t annoy Aunt Petunia.

The week passed both quickly and quietly. Lupin stopped by several times to keep Harry posted on the news. The interrogation of Voldemort was actually going fairly well. Lupin suspected that Harry would be able to go to King’s Cross with Hermione on the first of September. Lupin said that if Harry was allowed to ride the train, he probably wouldn’t need a guard.

Harry was glad. He liked Tonks, but she did attract attention. And if they added more guards, then Harry wouldn’t be able to hang out with anyone. He could just imagine the look on Malfoy’s face if he showed up with a guard of ten Aurors. No one would let him live it down.

Harry received his answer about the Hogwarts Express in a Daily Prophet article four days before the start of term.

Interrogation of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named Continues; Boy-Who-Lived Resumes Normal Life

The Daily Prophet has continued to monitor the interrogation of You-Know-Who. Several plots to destroy the Ministry of Magic have surfaced. No further plots to destroy Harry Potter have been uncovered. The Ministry believes that the attack at the farmhouse was the last planned attack on the Potter boy.

Harry Potter has returned to his home in Surrey to stay with his aunt, Petunia Dursley, sister to Lily Potter. Harry has been reported to be in good health and spirits by Remus Lupin, liaison to the Ministry of Magic. He will start term in four days with the rest of the Hogwarts students. Albus Dumbledore has confirmed that Harry will ride the Hogwarts Express with the rest of the students...


Harry showed the article to Hermione and smiled, “It looks like my life is getting back to normal. They’re going to let me ride the Hogwarts Express.”

“That’s great, Harry. It wouldn’t be the same without you,” Hermione answered.