Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Tainted Love by OuchKibble

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sometimes I feel I've got to run away,
I've got to get away;
From the pain you drive in the heart of me.


Severus Snape walked quickly along the darkened corridor to the Slytherin Common Room, his footsteps echoing loudly in his ears. The shock of it all was so new to him. She had told him with such a calm, cold voice; a voice that sounded nothing like her own. Her words had sounded forced and unreal. She had made seem like she didn't care for him at all.

His girlfriend of one year, Narcissa Black, had told him that it was over; completely finished. Severus quickly blinked back the hot tears of anger forming in his dark eyes and tried to ignore the feeling of fury that was forming in the pit of his stomach. She'd been lying; she loved him, he was certain of it. He came to a corner and pounded his fist into the stone wall before him. He couldn't go back in there yet. He couldn't let them all see him like this; he was a complete mess. Instead, he turned back around and ran.

The love we share seems to go no where;
And I've lost my life.
For I toss and turn, I can't sleep at night.


Severus saw her near the lake, sitting alone, her long, golden hair whipping around her face in the light wind. Her beautiful, slender hands were wrapped around her knees and she was slowly rocking back and forth.

"Narcissa?" He asked quietly as soon as she was in earshot of him.

She turned her tear-streaked face toward him, and tried to disguise the sadness in her eyes; though he knew her too well for her to hide anything from him.

"Go away Severus, you're only making it worse."

He wouldn't go away; he couldn't go away. He instead sat down beside her and took her cold hand.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me what the hell is going on here," he uttered quietly, his thumb brushing hers.

"I'm engaged."

Once, I ran to you;
Now I run from you.
This tainted love you've given;
I give you all a boy could give you;
Take my tears and that's not nearly all.


Severus dropped her hand as if it was about to explode. He looked at her, his gaze steady, yet furious. "You're...you're what?"

Narcissa blinked back the tears in her eyes, urging herself to be strong. This was the right thing to do. "I'm engaged."

His harp intake of breath startled even him. "To whom?" he asked, silently wishing himself to wake up from this horrible nightmare.


"Lucius Malfoy. It's been arranged since I was born, there's nothing I can do," she managed to say between the tears that were now falling steadily down her face.

Now I know I've got to run away;
I've got to get away;
'Don't really want any more from me.


His eyelids dropped as what she had said began to sink in. She would be gone from his life forever in a matter of weeks. He closed his eyes and opened them again, as if checking to see that she hadn't run away; she hadn't. She was as real as he had ever seen her, he hair still whipping about her face, and her eyes red and glossy from crying. "When were you planning on telling me?" he asked, his tone cold and empty.

"Severus, I--"

"When were you planning on telling me?" he demanded again, interrupting whatever she was going to say.

She sighed. "I only found out last year. You've got to believe me, Severus; I thought that what I was feeling for you was going to pass."

"But it didn't, did it?" he questioned harshly, causing her to flinch.

"No, Severus, it didn't!" she yelled, causing a lone fourth year to look puzzlingly at her. "It didn't," she repeated more quietly, realizing for the first time that what she was saying was indeed, true.

To make this right, 'need someone to hold you tight.
And you think love is to pray;
Well, I'm sorry I don't pray that way.


He could feel her gaze upon him, yet he didn't move. She was claiming to love him, but she was still leaving him. He decided to voice his thoughts, however. "If you really had feelings for me, you wouldn't be leaving me."

"I have no choice," she said between the tears. "I've told you, there's nothing I can do!"

He shook his head. "There's got to be something Narcissa! You've got to be able to do something!"

She lowered her head. "Believe me, I've tried. I'm stuck with that dreaded Malfoy for the rest of my life!"

Don't touch me, please.
I cannot stand the way you tease!
I loved you, though you had me so,
Now I'm gonna pack my things and go.


Severus Snape looked back at the people gathered at the ceremony, his stony face clear of any emotion. Oh! How he wished that he was up there beside her, looking into her beautiful smiling eyes as they said their vows of their everlasting love. His fists clenched as Lucius put the ring on her long finger. He looked down knowing that if he kept watching, he might do something drastic.

He was slowly beginning to accept that she would never again be his. Everyday he woke up to the realization that his pain might never heal. He had become cold and cruel, not allowing any emotion into his life. By doing so, he was not letting himself get hurt again; not letting his heart break again. She had taken everything from him: his life, his love, his tears. He would never be able to love again.

Once, I ran to you.
Now I run from you.
This tainted love you've given;
I give you all a boy could give you;
Take my tears and thats not nearly all.
Tainted love.