Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wish Upon a Star by snapesluver

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hermione lay wide awake in her four poster bed in her private Head Girl room, wishing sleep would claim her. But images kept popping into her head, making her heart pound and contracting her throat painfully.

It had been a week since Harry had broken down, and finally spoke of his feelings. He had been by her side helping her through the pain of losing her parents. Though he never spoke of it until last week, Hermione had a feeling he blamed himself for her parents death. When he finally openly took the blame, it really did nothing for her. What was the point in digging up the past?

Her parents had wanted her to stay at Hogwarts, near people who could protect her, and she had respected their wishes. She did not feel guilty of the choice she made, because in her heart she knew they would have approved.

At the end of her sixth year, she realized that not all of them would survive the war. Unconsciously she had been preparing herself for losses since then. Her parents deaths had been a shock, certainly, but a part of her knew it would eventually happen. She was a brilliant Muggleborn and Harry Potter's best friend. Those were enough reasons for Voldemort to want to take revenge on her and her family.

She was not the only one suffering, though. Ever since the war, Harry had been quite withdrawn, willing to talk about anything but that day. Hermione noticed the significant change in him. It had been more pronounced several months ago. He gradually opened up and became more himself with the help of Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.

They had all grown even closer together in the past couple of months. Each of them had been solidly present for the others, helping them through times of pain. Ron and Ginny had lost two brothers, Hermione lost her parents, and Harry had lost his godfather and the closest thing to a grandfather, Albus Dumbledore.

Yet, even with so many losses, they had celebrated; celebrated the downfall of Voldemort, and Harry was the hero who saved them all.

Despite being surrounded by people she loved most, next to her parents, Hermione felt alone; as if her heart would never completely heal from the pain. Even after almost two months, the wounds were still raw and fresh, and she had no idea who to talk to about her feelings. Harry, Ron, and Ginny had all left for the Burrow earlier this morning, and she was all alone. She could go to Professor McGonagall, the new Headmistress of Hogwarts; she had, after all, become like a second mother to her at Hogwarts. But, Hermione knew better than to barge in on her at two in the morning.

No matter how much she tried, she could not get away from the memories. She was having an especially hard time today, because it was the two year anniversary of what would have been her last trip with her parents.

During her fifth year, for Christmas holidays, her parents had planned for them to go skiing, just the three of them. Hermione had looked forward to the trip with much anticipation, despite Ron’s mockery; he just didn’t understand the purpose of sliding down a mountain on boards. She, however, paid no mind, and had eagerly packed everything and made sure she signed up for a seat on the Hogwarts Express. Everything had been going according to plan, until Mr. Weasley had been attacked by a snake in the Ministry of Magic. Thinking that Ron would need her support, she’d stayed in the wizarding world, ignoring her guilty conscience. She’d lied to her parents about needing to study for her O.W.Ls, and while they understood, Hermione knew that they were extremely disappointed. That was the last time she ever had a chance to spend time with them.

After two months, Hermione remembered everything leading up to that day as though it were yesterday. This along with the guilt she was feeling was almost unbearable. Her hand automatically went to the chain around her neck, and her fingers touched the pendant as the memories came flooding back...



Author's Note: I know this chapter is short, but I will post soon. Just review to persuade me!! *grins* Love you all for reviewing thus far. Stick around. More to come soon. Peace and love. ~Katy