Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Life Goes On by scarlet phoenix feathers

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Memories of Old



At breakfast the next morning things were quite loud. Fred, George, Bill, and Charlie were all bickering over who was going to do what with the house. They had all been diligently working since Ron and Harry returned, but today they seemed a bit to excited about it.

“You know Mum.” Bill managed above all the other voices. “We should be finished by next Saturday.”

Ron and Harry had not been permitted anywhere near the construction. Hermione and Ginny were very excited and to everyone’s surprise had even been caught trying to sneak in for a quick peek. They finally decided to give Lavender that exclusive interview she had hinted at in an earlier article. During the trip to Diagon Alley after the interview this morning they would pick up invitations to be addressed. The owl post office had better be ready for the excessive amounts of mail that would need to be delivered very soon. In exactly three weeks the wedding would take place.

Ron and Harry really tried to find reasons to stay. “Mum, doesn’t the garden need de-gnoming or something?”

“No dear, you go on. It’ll be fun.” She continued cleaning up the mess left by the overgrown children fighting at her table.

“What? Harry James Potter!” Ginny snapped as she and Hermione walked around the table. “Don’t you want to the afternoon getting ready for the most important day of your life?”

Harry tried desperately to control his stuttering. “Uh…Yes…dear.”

Ron tried to help his sinking friend. “We just thought Mum might need some help.”

“Don’t give me that rubbish!” Hermione now joined in on the interrogation. “Since when have you ever been interested in volunteering to do the de-gnoming?”

“Well.” He had no answer.

“We’re going shopping, and you will like it!” She took his hand and all but ripped his arm out of the socket.

His eyes were the size of galleons; Fred and George were now trying to keep from falling to the floor with fits of laughter.

“Harry?” Ginny stood with her arms crossed patting her foot. “Well?”

He looked at her and made a mad dash to catch up with Ron and Hermione.

“Look! Fred yelled, “The two powerful Aurors with their tails between their legs.”

“SHUT UP!” Hermione and Ginny yelled in unison from the other room.

Fred’s eyes now looked much like Ron’s had just looked. He quickly shut his mouth and sat in his chair. Not daring to press his luck.

*******

“Well, that wasn’t so bad, now was it?” Hermione smiled taking Ron’s arm as they came out of the Daily Prophet.

“Almost as nice as having a tooth pulled.” Ron said sarcastically.

“Only we didn’t have the novocaine.” Harry added.

“Come on.” Ginny tried making it better. “You have to admit she wasn’t nearly as bad as she was in school.”

“On NO, now she’s just a neurotic gossip columnist.” Ron chortled. “That doesn’t get detentions or looses points when she misinterprets the truth.”

“Misinterpret?” Hermione had to laugh at his obvious disgruntled ness. “Well, just think…” she began glancing into the window of Flourish and Blotts. “Oh My Word!!” She stopped dead and jumped behind a stack of sale books outside the door. “Look.” She whispered.

“What?!?” Ron all but yelled.

Hermione grabbed his collar and yanked him beside her choking him in the process. “Do you have to be so loud? A mountain troll is quieter than you are, honestly.” She had pointed in through the large picture window of the store.

The others looked into the shop and a tall slender man with white blonde hair and crooked nose stood behind the counter unpacking boxes.

“Malfoy” Ron all but growled like a rabid dog at the sight of him.

“What’s he doing in there?” Harry said astonished.

“He can’t be working here, can he?” Ginny asked.

“Bloody Hell!” Ron was now laughing maliciously. Normally he wouldn’t find anyone’s profession funny; however this was a special case. “I think I need a book.”

“Ron, No!” Hermione grabbed for his arm.

“Oh yeah, you don’t know how long I’ve waited for this.”

Harry soon grasped his other arm. “She’s right, don’t Ron”

“What?” Ron was amazed at their compassion.

“Really, you would only be stooping to his level.” Harry tried reasoning with Ron. “You’re an Auror now. Are you willing to be less dignified for him?”

“I guess not.” He thought a bit longer. “I promise I won’t start anything. BUT-- I’m still going in. Just to prove I’m the better man.”

They both loosened their grips. He took Hermione’s hand. Harry took Ginny’s and they all walked in together.

Malfoy now had his back turned to the door. A bell rang as they walked into the shop.

“Be right with you.” He said in a polite voice.

They were all shocked at the sound of civil tongue coming from Malfoy’s mouth. A she turned the look of shock was plastered all over his face. He quickly regained his composure and walked from behind the counter.

“Hello, welcome to Flourish and Blott’s.” He politely said.

“Malfoy?” Ron said quizzically.

“Oh yes, glad to have you in our little shop.” He calmly replied looking behind Ron. “Miss Granger, how lovely, I have a great new selection of books on magical creatures.” The group remained speechless. No one knew what to say. Then Ron did it.

“Okay, who are you and where’s the stash of polyjuice potion?” Ron was now searching for something that could contain the potion.

“Weasley, it’s me.” Malfoy wasn’t as pleasant sounding now. Although he still didn’t have the usual nasty drawl in his voice.

Ginny stepped forward. Harry followed close behind. “Draco?” Not one of them had ever called him by his first name.

“I know, a bit sad, aren’t I?” He turned and walked back to the counter. “Go ahead; I deserve anything that you throw at me.” He looked drained. As though all the spirit had just been lifted right out of him.

“We didn’t come in here to start anything.” Hermione said glaring at Ron and trying to sound sincere.

Harry then knew exactly how he must feel. He didn’t have a friend in the world.

“After all the things I have done?” He questioned her.

Harry was the one to answer. “Yeah.”

Draco choked a bit. “I’m…sorry for everything I’ve ever done.” He almost laughed. “I’ve been doing a lot of apologizing lately.”

Ron still wasn’t buying the act. “Why such a change of heart, Malfoy?” He then felt Hermione’s elbow dig into his ribs.

“Ow!” Ron squealed.

“No Hermione, he’s right. You of all people deserve an explanation.” And he then began.

“When Dad went to Azkaban, Mum and I were left alone. The Ministry confiscated all our possessions to pay for all the damage my dad had done as a death eater. It took them awhile, but they managed to get to all of Dad’s accounts. All, but one. He had set up a fund for me to travel and study abroad.” He stopped and actually had to laugh at that statement. He was sure studying abroad had meant, working for Voldemort. “When Mum went to him and asked him what she was to do he just laughed at her.” He looked at each of them and fought hard not choke up. “He bloody laughed at her. It was then that I realized what he was…nothing. I didn’t want to end up like him. So, I took what money I did have a put it into this place. We live upstairs in the attached flat.” He turned his back. “I don’t expect you to ever forgive me, but please don’t take what little business we do have and scare it away. We need it.” From behind the curtains a woman walked out looking to be about 20 years old and 9 months pregnant.

“Hi!” She all but shouted. “Great to have you here. Business has been a bit slow, but I’m sure we can make you a deal.” She smiled sweetly. The young woman spoke with an accent that none of them had ever heard. She spoke very slowly and the drawl in her voice was very thick. She had long waist length, blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She had a large smile that beamed. This lady looked very out of place next the famously rude Draco Malfoy.

“Daisy” Malfoy addressed her. “These are some people that attended Hogwarts with me.”

“Oh, how wonderful, school pals. Let me get you all some tea.” She quickly vanished behind the curtain not waiting for a reply.

Hermione quickly began shuffling through the shelves of books taking random selections from the shelves. She would drop a load and head back to continue her search. Ginny soon followed suit taking anything that pertained to Quidditch. Ron still didn’t trust him, but he didn’t stop them either.

“Here we are!” Daisy soon reappeared from behind the curtain and sat the try down gently on one of the tables that had been crammed into the shop.

“Honey, I don’t think they are interested or have the time, they seem pretty busy.” Draco said softly to her not wanting to offend her effort.

“Sure we do.” Harry quickly answered for the group.

“Splendid!” She clapped her hands together. “I really hope this is fine. I haven’t quite gotten to technique down just yet.”

“Daisy’s from the U.S. They prepare tea differently than we do, they like it iced.” Draco added not wanting them to think she was a complete idiot.

She fumbled with the tea almost as though she hadn’t ever made anything in her life. They noticed her shaking hands and the nervous smile as she presented each of them with a cup. After the tea was finished they stood, Hermione made her way to the counter to pay for the books she and Ginny chose.

“You don’t have to get all of these, really.” Draco said before adding the purchases.

“Don’t be silly we need these for references. Do you take Gringott’s Wizard Charge?” She thrust the card at him.

“Yes ma’am we do.” He smiled a bit.

“And we’ll be speaking with the other departments at the Ministry to ensure that all their reference materials are up to date.” She held out her hand taking the card and placing it in her purse. She signed the slip and handed it back to him. “You will advise me when the new editions come in, won’t you?”

“Of course.” Draco replied. “And thank you.” He whispered.

“Ron, Harry, will you help with the bags?” Hermione turned to them raising her eyebrow.

“Oh,” Draco said, “Congratulations on the upcoming weddings. We’ve been married a year.” He pulled Daisy close to his side. “She’s having twins.” He smiled and kissed her.

“We have a 4 year old.” Ron quickly said trying to one up him. “Her name his Rose.”

Hermione blushed and pulled him out the door.

Harry and Ginny, holding back a laugh, waved at Draco and Daisy and followed them out.

Harry couldn’t explain it, but no matter what Draco had done he actually felt sympathy for him. All those years in school could have been an act just for his father. Children were the images of their parents, but it doesn’t mean they can’t be good. Really, look at who raised him and he couldn’t more unlike them. Maybe Draco Malfoy had just now learned what kind of person he really was supposed to be.

“What was all that about?” Hermione questioned Ron.

“What? Is it a secret? I want people to know I have a daughter. I’m proud of her.” He pulled Hermione close to him, kissing her forehead.

She smiled at how proud she was of him. He held his tongue and was bragging about his daughter. He never ceased to amaze her.



A/N I know, Malfoy...nice? Hey, I got tired of the scouring looks and the hateful remarks. Besides, people do change. Okay, I know, it's not likely, but I like the thought. LOL Don't hate me. Thank you very much to those of you who have continued to reivew. I really appreciate it.