Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A World United by QueenHal

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Written Pre-HBP, obviously. I won't be adding onto this, but I'll leave it up anyway.

Chapter 1: Shooting Stars and Broomsticks

Only those who knew him best could distinguish the shadow looming over Professor Dumbledore’s ancient features that early September evening in the Great Hall. The tiny first years that had been sorted only minutes ago stared up at him in wonder and fascination. Dumbledore was a legend to them, and being in his presence both terrified them and sparked their curiosity. As each of them strained in their chairs trying to get a better look, Dumbledore returned the favor, meeting each of their eyes in turn. Such a small number this year, he thought sadly. He knew the current state of the Wizarding world quite well, and had prepared himself for the arrival of the new school year, but no amount of lemon drops or trips into the pensive could have appeased his sadness that evening.

The clamor of dishes and cutlery was the loudest sound in the Great Hall that evening. It was offset by the monotone whispering of young voices, each of which dwindled into silence as quickly as it began. Perhaps the only other being in the Great Hall subject of more whispers than Dumbledore that evening, was the boy Harry Potter. Dumbledore’s glance had turned upon the boy, and the first thing he noticed was that Harry Potter wasn’t a child anymore. No, definitely not a child. Harry had been through much more than most people would go through in their lifetime. He understood pain and suffering, as well as hard work and sacrifice. Harry had been forced to grow up too soon and had lost his youth before he had even found it. Harry, over the summer, had hardened into a man. It wasn’t something Dumbledore particularly enjoyed seeing in a boy so young, but he felt a sense of pride all the same. Many good Wizards, Dumbledore knew had fallen under the weight of only a small portion of what Harry had had to deal with. The Potter boy had withstood it all and what he had lost had made him stronger.

All of the room was painfully aware of what Harry Potter had done for them, and though Harry had never been a fan of attention, he didn’t childishly shy away from the stares, but acknowledged each of them in a surly nod. Hearts across the Hall warmed to Harry Potter, and each found its own personal respect for the boy-turned-man. If not for him, none of those hearts would still be beating.

Dumbledore’s gaze was suddenly and forcefully met by Harry’s. The corners of Dumbledore’s mouth twitched into a smile; Harry liked it least of all when Dumbledore stared at him. Harry, softened by the smile, raised his goblet of pumpkin juice in a salute. Dumbledore nodded once, and as if on cue, stood. Taking note from their older classmates, the first years fell into silence.

“Welcome, my dear friends, to Hogwarts! Whether you be fresh off the Sorting stool, or you be as familiar with these halls as Peeves, it is a great honor to have you here.” Dumbledore’s smile faltered a bit. “Much of the Wizarding World believed Hogwarts would be closed this year, but we’re still here. Hogwarts is your home and your family, a place you can always look to when you need help. It is important that you know that.”

First years wiggled nervously in their seats as their older classmates watched Dumbledore gravely.

“Despite the many friends and family members we may have lost last year, it is important to remember that we have NOT fallen. The Wizarding world stands strong. But its foundation is beginning to crumble, as demonstrated by the happenings of last year. That is why you are here, to prevent that. You all have the potential to be great. So learn “ learn all you can. Fill your heads with spells and memories and the passwords to secret tunnels, because it is you “ this sea of faces before me “ that have the potential to return our World to the magnificent place it once was.”

At the end of these words, a burst of gasps inspired everyone to look up. The enchanted sky above the great hall was on fire! No “ not on fire, but filled with shooting stars of all shapes and colors. They fell in abundance, shrouding the Hall with sparks of light. The first years looked up in utter awe, and they weren’t the only ones as everyone else soon followed suit. Soon, everyone was pointing and smiling, feeling as if this year really was to be great. Dumbledore’s face lit into a smile and the rest of the professors at the staff table visibly relaxed. It seemed a good omen, though none would admit they thought much of Divination.

There was a small group of students at the Gryffindor table though, who were not gasping in delight. Rather, they had their heads bent and were conversing in sharp whispers.

“I’m surprised the Slytherins even showed their faces this year,” said a weary looking red head with a long nose. His hand had crumpled into a fist.

“Don’t be silly, Ron,” said a bushy-haired witch with a Head Girl badge pined to her chest, “You can’t hold them responsible for their parents’ actions. They can’t exactly do much about what family they were born into.”

“Sure I can,” Ron said venomously. He fingered a scar that ran along his left cheek and disappearing into his hairline. It was still pink, and stung sometimes, reminding him when this happened, of a certain blond Slytherin that had given it to him. “They wouldn’t be Slytherins if they didn’t think exactly like their traitorous mums and dads.”

“Ron.” Harry Potter protested. Ron had been his best friend since First year, but sometimes Harry hardly even knew him. “Not everything is black and white anymore… Voldemort was just as much a threat to them as to us in the end. They’re not that different really. And if not for them… we would have been finished.” Hermione nodded her bushy head in agreement, locking eyes with Harry in thanks.

“Doesn’t mean I have to like them.” Ron muttered, though he looked resigned. The three of them glanced over at the Slytherins, who although remained cool and calm on the surface, were still obviously amazed with the going-ons above. For many years, Harry had believed all Slytherins to be evil, subjects of Voldemort that didn’t have a good bone in their body. Last year, though, he had learned differently. Slytherins were ambitious, true, but it didn’t mean they were heartless. Many had joined him in the final battle against Voldemort. He owed his life to some of them, and he was ready to admit it. Ron, on the otherhand, hadn’t been there. He, Hermione, and Ginny had been spread out among the depths of the castle, magically connected with Harry. Each of them had provided a bit of their life force in order to equip Harry with the strength and skill he needed to defeat the Dark Lord. It had been a tremendous feat, but none of them had seen how a group of Slytherins had surrounded Harry and protected him from Death Eaters, as he tapped into the combined power. He, himself, would never forget it.

The commotion began to die down and Dumbledore once again called the attention of the hall.

“Professor Trelawny has just informed me that what we have just witnessed a prophesy of very good fortune. I do hope this is true, because I was rather hoping that I would receive a new supply of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans tonight.” His audience, filled with much warmer spirits than before, chuckled.

“Now, I have one more thing to bring up before you all scramble up to your dormitories. As I mentioned before the feast, Quidditch tryouts are to be held at the end of this week at the discretion of your House Team Captain.” Ron beamed, and Harry smiled at his friend proudly. Harry had been given the Quidditch Captain position in his sixth year, but with his already monstrous schedule and constant worrying about Voldemort, he had gladly handed the position over to his best friend. Ron had thrived with the job, and so had the team. Gryffindor had demolished the other teams in the House cup.

“But the House teams are only the beginning this year.” Ron broke out of his happy daze and looked at Dumbledore in shock. “This year, we are reinstating a championship that was demolished at the start of Voldemort’s reign years ago. Quidditch used to be an inter-school sport. Schools would not only have House teams, but also a traveling team, that would travel to different Wizarding schools across the globe and compete in tournaments. The British ministry, as well as Ministries across the continent feels that reinstating such a competition, will bond the Wizarding world together again in a way it hasn’t been bonded for many years. Tryouts for the team that will represent our school at such competitions will be held two weeks from Wednesday. You need not be on your house team to try out.”

Dumbledore smiled at the excited faces beaming up at him.

“Now scurry off to your beds, students. There is much filling to be done of your heads in the coming days! Goodnight!”