Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Canis Majoris by trinsy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Black! Potter!” Professor McGonagall’s voice echoed across the entrance hall as they left lunch the next afternoon. Sirius, James, and Jocelyn all turned. So did Narcissa, and a dark-haired, hard-faced Slytherin boy. “Off you go, Narcissa! And you, Regulus!” McGonagall crisply dismissed the two Slytherins, who exchanged glares with Sirius and Jocelyn before heading to their respective classes. “And yes, you as well, Jocelyn,” added McGonagall in a gentler tone, looking over at Jocelyn. Shrugging, Jocelyn rejoined Lily and the two left for class together.

“What’s up, Professor?” Sirius asked McGonagall as the entrance hall emptied around them.

“The Headmaster wishes to speak to you both,” McGonagall explained, leading them toward Dumbledore’s office.

“It’s about time,” Sirius mumbled.

“About what?” James questioned, stepping on Sirius’s foot.

“That is the Headmaster’s business, Mr. Potter,” said McGonagall severely as they reached the stone gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster’s office. “I am sure you will find out in a moment. Sugar Quill.

The gargoyle sprang to life and jumped aside.

“Bit of a sweet tooth Dumbledore has, doesn’t he?” Sirius asked of McGonagall, grinning.

“That is no business of yours, Mr. Black,” McGonagall answered coldly, and with that she left Sirius and James on their own.

Sirius and James stepped onto the moving spiral staircase and in a few moments they were in front of the gleaming oak door that opened into Dumbledore’s office. Sirius knocked, and this time it opened.

The first thing Sirius saw upon entering the room was… nothing. Oh, there were plenty of books on the bookshelves, and strange, shiny, whirring contraptions set up on spindly tables, as well as Dumbledore’s pet phoenix, Fawkes. But there was absolutely no trace of Dumbledore. Sirius reflected that only once had he ever been summoned to Dumbledore’s office to find Dumbledore actually there upon arrival. Which he found somewhat irritating, as he happened to be missing Defense Against the Dark Arts, a class which, in spite of Professor Venenum, he rather enjoyed. Sirius was just thinking bitterly of how much homework he’d have to make up when “

“Ah, Mr. Black and Mr. Potter,” said Dumbledore, appearing, seemingly, out of the thin air, as was he almost always did. It was a habit Sirius found rather disconcerting, and a bit rude. Dumbledore might be an extremely powerful wizard, but Sirius didn’t think that should excuse him from the elementary polite behavior of walking into a room like everyone else.

“Hello, Professor,” Sirius and James both replied.

“Please, sit down,” offered Dumbledore, waving them into chairs in front of his desk, which he had seated himself behind. “I apologize for not calling for you sooner. I was called away on unexpected business.”

Sirius and James nodded, the only possible response to this statement, although Sirius reflected bitterly that Dumbledore couldn’t be very sorry, or he would have called for them when he’d said he would.

“Now let us get down to business,” Dumbledore suggested. “This affair in Hogsmeade “”

Sirius’s jaw dropped. This was about that? That had been nearly two months ago! What about Uncle Alphard and Aunt Vega? What about Bella? Wasn’t Dumbledore a bit behind the times?

“Er, yeah, about that Professor,” said James, flushing. “It was all my fault we were there. You see “”

“Mr. Potter,” said Dumbledore very clearly, “I hold to what I told you that night: I have absolutely no desire to know how you came to be in Hogsmeade. The results of your presence there are of much greater interest to me.”

At these words Sirius, who had been gaping first at Dumbledore for his slowness, and then at James for declaring it was “all his fault” they were in Hogsmeade, now turned back to Dumbledore. All his senses were suddenly on high alert.

“What d’you mean?” he questioned warily.

“I have just received word,” began Dumbledore gravely, “from a most reliable source. It seems that after your exhibition that Friday night, Voldemort came to the conclusion that you are two Hogwarts students he should watch carefully. I believe he fears one of you in particular” “ here Dumbledore paused, and for a moment his eyes rested on Sirius “ “may attempt to overthrow him as Dark Lord.”

It took a moment for the full meaning of these words to sink in. When they did “

James swore, loudly.

“Sorry, Professor,” he apologized quickly.

Sirius didn’t say anything at all. He felt numb. The attack on James, Bellatrix’s letter, Aunt Vega’s death, Uncle Alphard’s illness, and now this. It was all too much for him to take in.

“He “ he thinks I want to become the next Dark Lord?” he finally managed.

Dumbledore nodded gravely.

“But “ I’d never “!” Sirius said jerkily. “I’m the only one in my family who wouldn’t love to be a Dark Lord!” he said violently.

“I understand that,” said Dumbledore quietly. “But Lord Voldemort does not. You will not join him. He therefore has concluded that you must wish to replace him. He cannot imagine that you would simply wish to abolish his rule. Lord Voldemort does not understand right and wrong. He only understands power, and he cannot imagine anyone being any different.”

“And “ what does all this mean, exactly?” Sirius questioned.

“It means, Mr. Black,” Dumbledore replied heavily, “that you and Mr. Potter are in grave danger.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“What did he mean, ‘You and Mr. Potter are in grave danger’?” Sirius questioned angrily in their dormitory that night. “I knew that already! That was obvious after I had to fight off two-dozen Death Eaters in Hogsmeade! That was obvious after my cousin started sending me death threats! That was obvious after my aunt was killed!”

“I can’t believe he thinks you’re his rival,” said James numbly.

“I can’t either!” said Sirius violently. “Just because I happen to know the mass disarming spell? So what, I’m his ‘rival’ because he doesn’t train his Death Eaters? What sort of logic is that?”

“You know that’s not why he thinks that,” said Jocelyn quietly. She was sitting on Sirius’s bed, having been invited there by the Marauders to hear what James and Sirius had to say.

“What d’you mean?” questioned James.

Jocelyn’s eyes met Sirius’s and he knew exactly what she was thinking.

“Bella,” he said quietly. “Bella told him that.”

“But what could possibly be her logic for that?” James wondered.

“She doesn’t need logic!” Sirius snapped. “She just needs to give him an excuse to kill us!”

Jocelyn gave him a hard look.

“The Blacks are good wizards, James,” she said heavily. “We know how to perform Dark magic, and we know how to block it. Well, that’s a great asset for You-Know-Who” “ Sirius growled; Jocelyn ignored him, and continued without missing a beat “ “when he’s got one of them on his side. But when one is against him… well, that’s not a pleasant thought, is it?”

James opened his mouth to reply when a mournful howl broke the still night.

“Remus!” Sirius and James exclaimed together, remembering what night it was at exactly the same moment.

“Sorry Joce’,” said Sirius quickly, as James threw his Invisibility Cloak over himself, Sirius, and Peter. “See you tomorrow.”

“Right,” Jocelyn muttered as the door opened and shut, seemingly of its own accord. “Tomorrow.”


A/N: Okay, a lot of you wanted to know why “this Hector guy” matters. Trust me, he matters a great deal! And that's all I'm saying for now....