Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Forbidden Love by mrsfredweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hermione sat alone in the Ancient Runes classroom. She was not taking notes; she wasn’t even listening to the lecture. Her mind was fogged with thoughts of the note, and of Severus. It seemed to her that her mind was stuck in one mode. She hadn’t been able to concentrate in any of her classes since lunch time.

As the teacher’s monotone voice droned on, Hermione’s thoughts shifted from Severus himself to the note and whether or not he found it.

I really hope Severus didn’t find that note, but where could it have gone. I was the last one to leave the class except for him. I don’t know what I’d do if I find out he has it. What is he going to think? He already thinks I’m slacking off in Potions Class. I just can’t take this…

Hermione snapped back into reality at the sound of her professor’s voice.

“Miss Granger, I see that you have not taken down a single note. Are you even paying attention?” He asked sternly.

“Yes…yes Sir. I am,” she responded shyly.

“Very well,” he said and turned back to address the entire class. “Your homework tonight is on page three hundred and ninety four.

Hermione opened her textbook and pretended to read as her thoughts drifted back to Severus.
Severus paced in front of his desk as the noisy first years worked sloppily on their potions. He just couldn’t seem to erase the thought of that note from his mind. Thoughts of Hermione flashed in and out of his mind and to his disgust he didn’t seem to mind at all.

Severus, you must stop this way of thinking. It’s not right. She is your student, but a very smart and beautiful student.

Severus shook his head as though to attempt to shake the thoughts out. He found himself nervously playing with the lining or his long black cape as he held it in his hand.

I don’t even know if what the note said is actually true. It might be wrong. How could it be wrong? That was her handwriting. I would recognize that perfect printing anywhere. She always takes such care in her work. She is such a bright child, no, young women. That is exactly what she is. She has grown up so wonderfully. I remember the child that she was back in her first year, and now look at her, beautifully radiant and perfect.

The end-of-class bell rang and startled Severus, who, being so submersed in thought, had not realized the time pass so quickly. He watched as the last little brat scurried out of the classroom and then retreated to his private chambers for a quick drink before dinner.
Harry, Ron and Hermione sat alone at a table in the Gryffindor Common Room. They had a bit of time before dinner and decided to get a head start on their homework. Hermione, who was always the one to push the others along, was finding it extremely hard to concentrate. She could see Harry glance at her every so often as though he wanted to say something, but then thought better of it.

Ron, who was pouring over an incredibly hard Potions essay, was the first to break the silence.

“I can’t believe that stupid git wants six feet of parchment on the uses of brimstone. That’s insane. I’ve been working on this for days now and I still haven’t reached four feet.”

Hermione bit her lip to keep quiet, knowing that she couldn’t very well defend Severus in front of Ron. She suspected that he was suspicious enough as it was, she didn’t need to add fuel to the fire. Harry, however, could tell that Ron’s comment had hurt Hermione and with all the help that Severus had provided for the Order, Harry had actually grown quite fond of him, although he never said anything about it to Ron.

“Ron, you know, Snape’s not all that bad.”

Ron turned to Harry, shock showing on his pale face.

“Are you serious? I can’t believe you just defended that jerk. What happened? I thought you hated him too.”

“I do, well, at least I did. What I mean is, can’t you just forget about all that. He did help the Order a lot in the past few years. If it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t know a lot of the things that we do now. He put his life on the line for the Order. I think that is justification enough that he’s a decent man. So what if he assigns a lot of homework?”

Ron didn’t know what to say to this. He knew that Harry was right about everything. If it wasn’t for Snape the Order would not be as successful as it is, in fact, the Order may not even exist now if it wasn’t for that man.

Ron bowed his head in defeat.

“I know your right Harry. I just can’t seem to put it all behind me. He was always so cruel to us three. You know that. All the times he humiliated us in front of the entire class because our potions weren’t right or something like that. I guess I’m just being stubborn.”

Hermione couldn’t believe her ears. She knew how much Ron disliked Severus and he had good reason too. Snape always seemed to single him out and critic his work the most and this obviously bothered Ron. He had every right to not like his professor and Hermione could not believe how reasonable he was being about everything, but she was glad to know that Ron no longer wanted to strangle the object of her affections, a task that he had expressed a feeling to perform many times.

The rest of the time before the trio proceeded down to the Great Hall for dinner that evening passed in silence.