Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Not So Bad After All by prongsroxmysox11

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
James

The next morning I woke up dazed. Even after sleeping for hours Sirius' last words keep ringing through my head as if he'd said it seconds ago.

All my dreams had been full of Lily's dazzling green eyes looking at me and her soft voice running through my head.

Not that that didn't always happen.

Without bothering to wake up Sirius, I pull on my robes and start walking downstairs to breakfast.

The thing that sucks is I can't tell Lily what Sirius said, because it'd get Sirius killed.

I just walk downstairs into the common room when I notice somebody sitting in one of the armchairs.

"Hi!" I say cheerfully.

They turn around and my heart flips over when Lily looks back at me.


Lily

This is what I've been dreading. The next time I'd come face to face with James Potter.

He looks pretty surprised to see me, and who'd blame him? It's not everyday the girl you've liked forever finally gets a brain and kisses you. Not that he'd know why I did, which is making the situation a lot more awkward.

"Hi James." I say as calmly as possible with my heart pounding out of control.

His eyes dart from side to side, as if he's looking for Sirius to back him up, but no one's there. Then they settle on me.

"Um, Lily?" he asks.

I notice him blush slightly but otherwise he remains completely normal.

Inside my head I'm panicking. If he's not having some kind of reaction, maybe he's arleady over me! This can't be happening, I guess he can finally pay me back for tearing his emotions to pieces.

"Do you, um, want to go on a broom ride with me tonight?"

I blink.

"Wh-What?"

James blushes darker and tears his eyes off of me to stare at the floor.

"If you don't want to go, I mean, it's fine-"

"No I will!" I blurt out hastily.

Instantly he grins at me.

He looks like such a little kid when he smiles, the kind of smile when someone is so happy it makes everyone around them want to laugh.

I smile back at him, taking him in as if he's a glass of milk I'm drinking.

His eyes that usually shine with mischief have the sweetest look in them. I wish he'd do that more often.

"Thanks." he says, then walks out of the room and leaves me grinning like an idiot.


James

As soon as the door is closed I jump up and punch the air with my fist.

"YES!" I shout so loudly Professor McGonagall turns around and says:

"Potter, it's only seven. You don't need to start shouting this early."

I would love it DEARLY if I could go up to her and just yell that Lily loves me and start cracking up, but I must keep some control.

After breakfast, Sirius runs up to me.

"Prongs, where were you this morning?"

"I just woke up early." I reply.

Sirius raises his eyebrows but I just grin at him and walk to class without giving him the details.


Lily

After 5 years of endless classes, it's finally time for me to see James!

My nerves are on overload. I'm standing outside the castle waiting for him and I can't concentrate on anything but his picture in my mind.

"Lily?"

I jump and see James standing behind me with his broom tucked under his arm.

I smile shyly at him.

"So, um, where are we going?"

"Well there's no one on the grounds..." he says, running his hand through his hair.

"Ok." My voice comes out all squeaky because my stomach feels like I just ate snakes.

James sets his broom on the ground and it jumps back in the air so he can get on.

"Um..." he mutters.

I look at him expectantly.

"You may have to hold on to me so you don't fall off." he says very quickly then blushes scarlet.

"That's fine."

Talk about understatements. I should just tell him I love him now...

He gets on his broom looking heartily embarrassed by the whole thing.

Slowly I get on behind him and without hesitation wrap my arms around his waist.

I was right, he is warm.

James seems to relax and kicks off.

A rush of wind whips my hair back and I hold James tighter so I can keep my life for as long as this ride lasts.



James

As soon as I'm off the ground I feel completely free. Everything is going exactly right, the feeling from the air, riding my broom, Lily clutching me to her, it's heaven.

"Does it get any faster than this?" she pants from behind me.

"I could make it faster."

"Spare me." she gasps as I dive towards the ground.

I laugh and an evil idea strikes me.

I really shouldn't risk it, after all, she's never ridden a broom before this. But my Marauder's blood is telling me to do it, so without thinking I tip myself off the broom.

Lily screams bloody murder and tries to grab my hand but I just fall to the ground laughing.

"JAMES, YOU IDIOT I CAN'T CONTROL THIS THING!" she yells.

Terror shoots through me. She's speeding toward the ground way too fast and an instant later crashes.

"LILY!"

I sprint over to her.

Her face is buried in her hands and I can hear her crying.

WHY DID I HAVE TO MAKE HER CRY? MY LIFE IS CURSED!

"Lily, God, Lily I'm so sorry," I reach out to touch her but stop.

She'd probably kill me.

"James-" she sniffs.

"Yeah?" I ask, closing my eyes if she's about to hit me.

She looks up at me.

Grinning.

Then she jumps up and pins me to the ground.

"WOAH!"

She laughs and smiles at me. Apparently she knew what she was doing after all.

"That wasn't funny Lily! You scared me!"

"You deserved it!" she laughs.

I try to get up but she shoves me back onto the grass.

"Ok, you've got me. What are you going to do now, huh?"

She stops smiling and looks at me. Her beautiful eyes shine softly and she picks up my hand and drags me up into a sitting position.

"Kiss you." she whispers.

Then she leans in and for the second time warmth surrounds me in an inexplicable feeling.

After a while she lets go of me.

" So, Sirius didn't lie to me then." I blurt out without thinking.

Lily stares at me.

"He told you?"

"Um..."

I guess I'm still an idiot after all, no matter how good Lily's kisses make me feel.

Lily gazes into space for a minute, but then she shrugs and looks back at me.

" I love you." she says shyly.

My lower lip trembles like I'm going to start crying. I grab her by the shoulders and pull her into me.

"Jamef?" she says, her voice muffled from being shoved into me.

"Love you too Lils." I mutter into her ear.

We must have been like that for hours, wrapped up in each other, neither of us noticing the sky getting blacker.

"Shouldn't we go in?" Lily says.

"But I don't want you to go!" I whine like a little kid.

Lily laughs into my chest and stands up.

"Come on James," she says, taking my hand.

I close my eyes as we're walking upstairs, letting this fantasy sink in. It sucks when you want something so badly but you just can't seem to get it, but when you do, it's worth the pain.

END