Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A 6th Year at Hogwarts by SomberBallad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ron waited anxiously for his friends at the breakfast table. He was the first one in the Great Hall and felt a bit silly being there so early but he wanted to be there as soon as they got back. He did exactly what Sirius instructed him, and luckily he didn’t have to make up a diversion for them. With all the hype of the masquerade, no one seemed to miss either of them. No one suspected a thing. He anxiously waited because Sirius hadn’t told him what had happened at all, all he knew was that Harry and Hermione were in Dumbledore’s office for the night, and that Sirius was in a rush. Ron paced about the tables, until students started filing in and asking him questions about what he was going. Then he sat down, and tried to eat to no avail, he wasn’t hungry at all. Finally as the breakfast crowd picked up, Ron spotted Hermione walk into the Great Hall. He waved at her and she acknowledged him with a nod and a slight smile. She looked all cleaned up from the night before, her hair now retained its natural frizz and her black school robes matched everyone else. Only a good friend could tell there was something different about her, and Ron could tell she was locking something up. She didn’t even have to say a word. She finally reached the table and sat across from him. Ron had purposely sat away from everyone so they could talk.

“Hey Ron,” she greeted him casually, pouring herself some orange juice.

“What happened?” he asked her both concerned and interested.

“I’m not really sure,” replied Hermione biting her lip.

“What?” asked Ron perplexed.

“I don’t remember,” murmured Hermione, with a blank look on her face.

“What do you remember?” asked Ron raising his eyebrows, not really sure if she was avoiding him or if she was serious.

“I remember Harry being there,” replied Hermione deep in thought. Ron sighed, he already knew that much, she wasn’t much help.

“Do you know where Harry is now?” questioned Ron trying not to let his frustration show.

“I think he is talking to Professor Dumbledore, but I don’t remember why,” she responded slowly, her eyes searching the table in front of her for the answer.
Then she looked up at him horrified, “Ron what happened to me?”

Ron was taken aback; he was the last person to know what had gone on the night before. Why did she think he knew? What was wrong with her? Something wasn’t right. He locked eyes with her, and she looked scared. He was a loss for words, what could he say; he didn’t know what had happened.

“You just had a long night, that’s all, perhaps you should rest today,” suggested Ron, choosing his words carefully.

“That’s not all Ron!” retorted Hermione, clearly not satisfied with that answer, “what happened last night?”

Ron looked at her sadly and tried again, “Last night was the Halloween Masquerade, remember. Kira and I had a date,” Ron choked out the word date but then continued, “ and you looked so much more like a princess that all the guys were falling over you, and you had to dance with everyone, but no one recognized you. And I had to dance with you so you could help me on my date. You were looking for Harry but somehow couldn’t find each other until it was almost the end. And you two danced, and then you got nervous because you saw something and you and Harry left.”

“Why?” asked Hermione begging, clearly not remembering what had happened at all, growing desperate to know.

“I don’t…” started Ron lamely but luckily someone who did know why interjected.

“We had to leave because you saw Peter in his rat form, you saved the school from something that could have been dangerous,” said Harry sitting next to Ron, talking to him pointedly.

“I what?” squeaked Hermione looking at Harry intently. He exchanged a puzzled glance with her.

“You don’t need to be modest for Ron,” said Harry shaking his head.

“Harry, I don’t think she remembers anything that happened last night,” murmured Ron.

“You don’t remember anything?” Harry inquired nervously.

“Nothing,” whispered Hermione sadly.
***

“She was under the Cruciatus curse for how long?” asked Ron flabbergasted as he and Harry made their way to the library. They had finally convinced her to go lay down and rest, so Harry could finally tell Ron what happened without scaring her with the truth.

“It seemed like forever,” mused Harry, “I’m not really sure, it could have been a couple minutes.”

“Minutes?” repeated Ron in disbelief.

“I know, I can’t believe it myself, it might explain why she can’t remember anything though,” mused Harry, scanning shelves as they walked into the library.

“Hopefully Sirius can help when he comes back,” tried Ron setting his bag on the table, walking with Harry toward the shelves.

“But he’s not coming back until Monday, and this could be a long weekend,” replied Harry, now talking to Ron through the bookshelves.

“I think I have something Harry,” called Ron, coming from around the shelves, carrying a small but thick black book. He was already thumbing through the pages, looking for something. “Alright here it is,” he said pointing to page forty-seven.

Harry read it out loud, “Victims of the Cruciatus curse can suffer from varying symptoms depending on strength of curse and period of use. Some of these symptoms include, convulsion, loss of breathing, unconsciousness, and muscle spasms. For periods of time after the curse has taken place, some victims suffer from memory loss of varying degrees, shortness of breath, fatigue, nightmares, posttraumatic stress, involuntary relapses, and other psychological side effects. There are only few known potions to ease sufferers, but new developments are hopeful.”

Ron glanced at the symptoms bewildered, “What does involuntary relapses mean?”

“I don’t know,” returned Harry shaking his head, “the only people whom we could ask are gone or under traumatic stress.” Harry read the last line again, remembering what he had promised Sirius. “ I completely forgot! The Xilian.”

“The what?”

“It’s a potion Sirius gave me to give to Hermione,” sighed Harry.

“I guess that’ll have to do until Sirius gets back,” shrugged Ron.

“Yeah,” sighed Harry, “we don’t really have another choice. I hope it works.”
***

Sirius didn’t return until late Sunday night, and when Harry and Ron went to see him, he assured him it could wait until the following day and that he’d see him after his class on Monday. Harry was more then a little irritated, it was pretty important to him. Harry had given Hermione the Xilian on Saturday afternoon, but she still couldn’t remember what happened. Harry had told her almost everything that he could without making her upset. Luckily though, Harry and Ron didn’t see any of the other more horrible symptoms the book mentioned. Monday passed by slowly, and Defense Against the Dark Arts was the trio’s last class of the day. And though Hermione couldn’t remember what happened Halloween night, it didn’t seem to hinder her ability in the classroom; she was still answering every question correctly and at the top of her game. This much at least reassured Ron and Harry. Finally after a grueling, Defense Against the Dark Arts class, they could talk to Sirius. They lingered around the classroom picking up slowly, waiting for everyone to leave, when the last person left, Sirius locked the door and Harry sat on the table in front of Sirius’s, and didn’t say anything but glared intently at him, eyebrows raised.

“Hold on Harry,” persisted Sirius, “let me deal with this one first.” He pointed to Hermione. “Follow me, I have a friend of mine you should get acquainted with. I’ll be right back gentlemen.” Hermione and Sirius left Ron and Harry in his office for a good fifteen minutes but then returned alone this time. Harry didn’t even bother asking this time, he figured Sirius would let him know what he wanted Harry to know in his own good time. There was no point being impatient with Sirius. And Sirius did exactly what he pleased. After using his wand and changing back to his normal appearance, he shuffled some papers on his desk, looked between Harry and Ron and finally spoke.

“As far as we can tell, Peter was just scouting, for information of any kind as well as checking up on certain people. We think Voldemort might be at a loss for a plan and getting and using whatever information he can from Wormtail to help tip the scales in his favor. The danger is growing real, Voldemort won’t wait much longer to act, he’ll come up with a plan, and he can still use Harry as a decoy, and I personally don’t understand why he hasn’t tried to yet. So Harry it’s important…”

“That I resume Occlumency, yes I know, I know. But why can’t you teach me Sirius? You know how don’t you?” asked Harry almost in a whining manner.

Sirius hesitated and bitterly mumbled, “Harry you won’t learn as much as you can from Severus, he has his ways of knowing things.”


Harry sighed and let his head fall back; he couldn’t say he didn’t try. Though he pretty much knew that it wouldn’t be the case. Working with Sirius would be too easy for the difficult life of Harry Potter.

“And Hermione?” asked Ron.

“I had her talk to Lupin, as you both already know, most of the side affects are psychological and Remus volunteered to talk to her. He has background with that sort of thing; and is at least a good listener. Hermione and Remus are at the Shrieking Shack,” informed Sirius, waving his had in a manner that insinuated that it wasn’t a big deal.

“But what does involuntary relapses mean?” asked Harry looking at Sirius doubtfully.

“Is that a side affect? I’d wager it means that the victim falls back into a state where they think they are under the curse again. Like visiting the time of the victimization again,” replied Sirius thoughtfully.

“Do you think that will happen to…” started Harry trailing off.

“I don’t know Harry it’s really hard to say, she did stay conscious after the spell, so it might not have been very powerful. Then again that might show though the physical affects aren’t deep the emotional aspects were. And she carries a burden with her, that girl, I really have no idea. I’m just hoping Remus can deal with that,” answered Sirius truthfully. There was a silence for a little while, but Harry couldn’t stay that way for long.

“So the Order knows nothing else about Voldemort?” asked Harry earnestly.

“I would tell you Harry honestly, we have people on guard around the school now, I figure we’ll know something soon. He’s going to act Harry, you need to be on your guard,” finished Sirius simply.
***

The next few weeks transgressed more quickly and just as quietly as before. Things started to change a little bit for each of the trio. Hermione continued meeting Lupin at the Shrieking Shack once a week and became more of a mystery to Harry and Ron. They never found out what they talked about, no matter how much Harry tried or Ron pried, they learned less and less from her. This made Ron angry, and Harry a bit sad, but neither had much time to dwell on it. Ron was preoccupied with Kira, though the two of them still hadn’t become officially a couple. Ron also had been trying to keep up with the quidditch team as captain while Harry was busy. And Harry had become overly busy, overworked and stressed really fast; if Ron hadn’t known better he would have said Hermione’s spirit had possessed Harry. Harry was up far into the morning making sure he had finished all his homework, and every Tuesday and Thursday he was down in the dungeons for hours working on Occlumency with Professor Snape. To no avail as it would seem, because Snape was as brutal as ever. Even after grueling Occlumency lessons; when Harry would get back he would do homework and some days not even get to bed. Harry had just learned to forget about socializing with Ron and Hermione, he had to concentrate on school so one day he could save his friends and protect the ones he hadn’t lost yet. And by December the trio had gotten into the routine of seeing each other rarely or not at all.

Harry leaned on the cold dungeon wall drearily, sweat dampening his forehead. Snape looked at him disgusted, as Harry was so used to seeing after a night of Occlumency.

“Aren’t I getting a little better?” asked Harry a little frustrated through clenched teeth.

“Barely,” sneered Snape in his usual icy manner. Harry sighed but didn’t argue. “You are dismissed Mr. Potter, there is no need to remind you what your job is tonight, only the same thing I ask you to do every other time for the last seven weeks. Although I think that you don’t really hear me or you would be getting better,” sighed Snape in a disapproving way. “Good night.”

Harry seethed leaving the dungeon that night; luckily for him it was the last lesson before Christmas. And because of this he didn’t have a whole lot of homework but a few essays and tests due the last day of school, which was tomorrow. He drowsily sauntered into the common room; feeling physically and mentally drained really wondering whether or not he could finish his essays and study for tomorrow. He had a couple hours tomorrow morning, but instead he collapsed on the sofa after grabbing his bag of books. He was just adding the finishing touches on his potions essay, and looking at it dismally, when the portrait swung open and Hermione ambled into the room. Harry looked at his watch, squinting through his blurred vision and it was nearing midnight.

“What are you doing so late?” asked Harry as Hermione approached him.

“I was just…we just…went later then usual I guess…is it late?” she asked him vaguely, looking exhausted.

“It’s almost midnight,” replied Harry yawning and tilting his head back, as he rolled up his potions essay. He knew what she was talking about, she had to go to the Shrieking Shack late some nights to work around Lupin's busy Order schedule.

“So it’s not so late,” murmured Hermione, though it didn’t look like she believed it.

“No,” returned Harry just as lazily as he pulled out his transfiguration book. He flipped through the pages mindlessly to the chapter they were studying and then tried to concentrate on the words and what they meant, but his brain was shutting down and the harder he focused the more tired he became. Hermione sat next to Harry and started to grab her books but she let her hand fall and she fell back on the couch.

“Harry, we should stop,” she said decisively, “we are really just being silly. I know neither of us is going to get anything accomplished in this state.”

“But I have to finish this…” muttered Harry ignoring her plea, not thinking clearly for if he had he would have realized who it was begging for the break.

“Harry,” she said closing his book on his hand, “we’ll do it in the morning okay?” Harry looked at the book and then at her and knew he couldn’t resist the temptation to go to bed.

“Alright you win,” he sighed putting his book away. She smiled at him, touching his shoulder gently. Without another word the two of them took to their respective dormitories, dragging their bags with them. Harry collapsed on his bed, without undressing, pulling the blankets over him. Though Harry was tired, he still tossed and turned, because someone had gotten into his head.