Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A 6th Year at Hogwarts by SomberBallad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
In the meantime, far away, in a house right in the middle of the nowhere, two of the Marauders were deep in discussion about recent events of early last summer, and some recent intelligence of the Order of the Pheonix.

"Sirius, you know we can’t just walk up to the Dark Lord, wands up and kill him, it’s going to take a whole lot more planning than that," said Remus calmly.

"I know, but I swear if he harms Harry, he will pay, I promise you that," Sirius snarled.

"No harm will come to Harry, Padfoot, you know how Albus protects him during the summer. Besides he is safe at headquarters now, and no one will find him there." said Lupin.

"Moony, Voldemort is the darkest, most powerful wizard of our time, he could probably get past anything we have protecting Harry," said Sirius getting up from his seat.

"Look, you have to believe that Dumbledore has this in hand. And besides the prophecy doesn’t exactly mean that Harry will die, it could be the Dark Lord as well,” replied Remus still as calm as before.

"Remus! He is only sixteen years old, are you kidding me? He is no match for Voldemort at full strength. It’s not fair, he’s just a kid!” yelled Sirius trailing off to a soft whisper of defeat, "the only way he is going to be safe is if Voldemort is gone!"

"It’s not going to do any good yelling at me, you know that there is nothing we can do, the prophesy has been made…Harry…Harry can do this; he is an extraordinary wizard,” said Lupin trying to be consoling.

"Yeah, I know, and I’m sorry Moony, but I hate not being able to do anything," said Sirius as he sat back down.

"He’ll be fine, and even if something were to happen, Harry has faced him before and has been quite successful in the past. Besides Dumbledore knows what he’s doing, I’m sure Harry is perfectly safe," Lupin said with more confidence then he felt.

Sirius didn’t say anything but instead got up and left the room. The truth of the matter was, Remus Lupin was probably more worried then Sirius. He knew trouble was coming, he could feel it. He sat for a couple minutes but then quickly got up and made some tea, although he doubted it would help. As he was making the tea he could hear Sirius, kicking the wardrobe, which had become his new habit whenever he became upset or worried. Neither Lupin nor Sirius had slept in nights; they were supposed to be hiding out in the area where Voldemort was last seen, though the intelligence was hardly reliable they were taking almost every hint the Order received.

What they were really doing however was sitting around a shack worrying about what was going on with the Order back at headquarters. When they weren’t worrying about that they were worrying if Harry was okay. Dumbledore still hadn’t come like he had promised and they were both on edge. Just then a knock came at the door. Lupin jumped, no one knew, where they were except for Dumbledore, the secret keeper of the small house. Sirius walked into the room, glaring at the door coldly.

"Who is it," Lupin asked.

"I knew who it was before he knocked, "replied Sirius coldly, "you can smell him a mile away."

"You mean it’s..." but Lupin was cut off when Sirius opened the door.

"Good Evening Severus," he said with a cold smile.

"I've had better Black," replied Severus curtly.

"As have I, now what are you doing here?" said Sirius without moving from the entrance of the door.

"I have been sent by Dumbledore, to give you some very important news," said Snape in a dull voice.

“I’m sure that’s not all you came for," growled Sirius.

"I beg you pardon Black, are you doubting my authority," said Severus with a daring glint in his eye.

“As a matter of fact…." Sirius started.

But Lupin who had been standing behind Sirius cut him off, "Now you two better put your differences aside or we'll never accomplish anything,” Sirius and Snape looked at Lupin slightly surprised, and then glared back at each other.

"Now Sirius move aside and let Severus in," said Lupin calmly. Sirius stepped back no more than a couple of inches and let Snape in, but without taking their eyes off of each other.

"Now sit," commanded Lupin. They sat as far away from each other as possible.

"Now Severus, what is this news you have?" asked Lupin. Sirius snorted, Lupin pretended he didn't hear it; Snape glanced over at Sirius but quickly began talking.

"Dumbledore sent me to tell you that obviously in light of recent events Hogwarts will be on higher protection than usual," He paused, "and Albus insists we need all the help we can get," he said this even though it looked like he didn’t believe it and he didn’t elaborate on what exactly he meant by this revelation. “Oh, and in case you two didn't know, Miss Granger and Mr. Potter have gone to Headquarters for the remainder of the summer.”

"What is Albus suggesting?" asked Remus

"Professor Dumbledore would like you to come back and teach the Defense against the Dark Arts class again," replied Severus looking like positively disgusted by the idea..

"Dumbledore knows the reason I quit in the first place…" started Remus.

"Remus, that was under special circumstances," said Sirius glaring at Snape, "besides I am more than certain that Albus wouldn’t have asked you unless he desperately needed your help at the school."

“You know Sirius, you should try talking to Dumbledore about teaching, perhaps with a proper disguise and some staff involvement, you could actually pull off being a teacher, you are very well learned at Defense of Dark Arts,” said Lupin thoughtfully. Snape went even paler then even thought possible.

"How very thoughtful," said Severus very sarcastically. "Dumbledore expects you two, there tomorrow morning. Yes, I guess it’s time for me to go as I suppose you need your beauty sleep Black though I doubt it will help much,” he finished with a dry smile.

"Good evening Severus," smiled Lupin as he struggled to hold Sirius back from throwing a punch.
***

The Hogwarts grounds looked gloomy as Sirius and Remus apparated just outside of them. The trees all drooped under the rain and the giant squid was nowhere to be seen. The black rain clouds loomed over the grounds like a blanket. Sirius and Remus ran onto the grounds and in the castle and before Remus could perform the drying spell on them, they were dry.

"Dumbledore never misses a trick," laughed Sirius as they walked towards the gargoyle that opened as they reached it. Snape was already in the room and he and Sirius glared at each other. Dumbledore smiled at his new visitors.

"I hear we are having difficulties in choosing a new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher gentlemen," said Dumbledore as Lupin flushed.

"Well, I just though it would be the best for students and parents, if I didn’t return to my former teaching position," said Lupin slowly and a bit ashamedly.

"Well then, if you really feel that way I can’t make you take the position, thought it does seem like a shame," said Dumbledore with much seriousness. "Sirius how do you feel about becoming a teacher?" he asked. Snape’s mouth fell open a little in protest but quickly shut it trying to keep a calm demeanor; though it was quite obviously that he was in disagreement over the issue.

"Black, a teacher?" objected Snape, “do you understand the consequences the entire school would be under if he was discovered. Hogwarts reputation as a credible institution would be ruined and we would all be discredited.”

"Albus, you aren’t serious, me a teacher? But I thought…" said Sirius drifting off with total disbelief and a sideways look at Snape.

"You escaped from Azkaban and from the Ministry of Magic for a year or so now, teaching shouldn’t be a big deal Sirius" said Lupin.

“While Severus’ objection is reasonable I’m willing to take that risk with you Sirius as I believe your willingness to stay out of Azkaban is far greater than our risk of being exposed. I think you are fully qualified for the job, it was your best subject in school, and I need a new teacher. Not to mention I think it will be best to have more members of the Order here to watch Mr. Potter. If of course you are willing to take it,” said Dumbledore rationally.

“Yes, of course but…” he trailed of again in complete surprise allowing Dumbledore to cut in with instructions.

"Right then, Mr. Black, of course you still can’t be seen so you will be wearing a disguise," Sirius looked at him skeptically but kept quiet. "Now only certain members of the staff will know it’s you, so you have to maintain your character. I will not make you appear to be someone else, you will be yourself but you have to come up with a new look, name, and character so you don’t give yourself away and I trust you. I trust that you don’t want to find yourself back in Azkaban," finished Dumbledore sternly as Sirius breathed a sigh.

"No problem," said Sirius calmly as the wheels in his head started churning at Dumbledore’s request.

“Now Severus, any problems with your...job?” he asked questioningly at a much taken aback Snape.

"No," said Snape quickly looking down at the ground almost uncomfortably.

"Great, now that it’s all settled, I suggest you three get to work," smiled Dumbledore. As they started to leave Dumbledore added one more thing, “Wait, Sirius, Remus, you gentlemen may return to headquarters the alarm sounded in your area turns out to be inaccurate.” Sirius beamed as he left, he was going to see Harry again.